Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most optimistic I've felt about the Colts in a long time.

RockThatBlue

Tbh no more and no less optimistic than compared to the lead up to the season after the AFC title game appearance. Ive never been one to be overly optimistic, even back to the early 2000's colts, especially after that 2005 season then the ruined perrfect season.

Do I feel better than I did at this point last year? Certainly. But I wont have positive optimism for 1-2 more years if we see growth out of this Colts team

I don't know.

I'm lukewarm on McDaniels, I see the upside, but there's a real chance the guy is still.. himself.

I don't know what's up with Luck and that's where the optimism would stem from. If he's ok and Ballard picks out solid players then forward momentum might turn into something better than 8-8 or whatever the heck this past season was.. 

Yeah I'm optimistic.

And that doesn't have to mean thinking we're SB bound right away or anything. But the way our FO has been transformed, and now our coaching staff, I'm really excited to see what happens.

As for the roster, while I do like some of our young pieces, and really liked our FA acquisitions last season, I'm crossing my fingers for an excellent draft this year. It could really turn things around. And I'm cautiously optimistic about Luck's situation as well.

42 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Anyone else feel this way?

Can not wait to see what McDaniels can do with a healthy Luck. Exciting!

I agree, I stated earlier with McDaniels, Ballard and luck  ..... plus FA $ and the #3 pick ( which can be turned into a bundle of other options depending on QB situation ) this has to be the most excited I have been for an off season in a while! 

I sincerely believe we were a healthy Luck away from a playoff team last year.  

The defense was respectable, add an ILB and the IRed players and it’s good.  Add a pass rusher and it’s better than good.  

Every Colts fan should be optimistic.

None of this will matter as long as Pagano is still the... 

Wait...

:hat:

I'm cautiously optimistic. I had to come around on McDaniels, but he was my top candidate. I'm still concerned about his approach and the fact that he's a Belichick disciple, almost all of whom struggled when they leave New England. 

But the reasons for optimism are many and varied, IMO. And if Luck is healthy, I can see this team being a perennial contender. 

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

almost all of whom struggled when they leave New England. 

I know its been documented about how they've struggled, but its hard to not give them a pass for the most part given the QB's they've had to deal with. I do think paring Josh with Ballard will be a great mold of mind. I find myself being unable to NOT listen when Ballard speaks, and how well he's been able to bundle up house is freaking amazing, compared to even the Pollian days.

The Colts actually have a competent GM and a promising great play caller in Josh McDaniels.  Hopefully the Colts can hit a triple or a home run come free agency and the NFL draft.  It’s early, but I can see nine wins next year (If Luck comes back to his old self).

I think what we saw in the Pats/Eagles SB, is the decline of the New England Patriots. They have been consistently been the best team in the NFL for the last 15 years. They just lost their main coordinators and their is speculation that Gronkowski might retire. Brady will be 41 next season. What they have going for them is they still have B.B. and Brady for likely two more years. That and they play in AFC East. 

2018 is most likely Ben Roethlisberger’s last year. 

The AFC South should be the top division in conference for the foreseeable future. I think you will have two teams from the south in the playoffs for several years now. 

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

I love it that Ballard and McDaniels have a great relationship. It's two great minds working together could be great for the Colts for a long time. Because of the fact, they're both still young. 

23 minutes ago, Jaredfor3 said:

The Colts actually have a competent GM and a promising great play caller in Josh McDaniels.  Hopefully the Colts can hit a triple or a home run come free agency and the NFL draft.  It’s early, but I can see nine wins next year (If Luck comes back to his old self).

I think what we saw in the Pats/Eagles SB, is the decline of the New England Patriots. They have been consistently been the best team in the NFL for the last 15 years. They just lost their main coordinators and their is speculation that Gronkowski might retire. Brady will be 41 next season. What they have going for them is they still have B.B. and Brady for likely two more years. That and they play in AFC East. 

2018 is most likely Ben Roethlisberger’s last year. 

The AFC South should be the top division in conference for the foreseeable future. I think you will have two teams from the south in the playoffs for several years now. 

Yeah, there's no margin for error for Ballard with our division as tough as it is now and in the future. 

36 minutes ago, TheMarine said:

I know its been documented about how they've struggled, but its hard to not give them a pass for the most part given the QB's they've had to deal with. I do think paring Josh with Ballard will be a great mold of mind. I find myself being unable to NOT listen when Ballard speaks, and how well he's been able to bundle up house is freaking amazing, compared to even the Pollian days.

Still a long way to go before we can fairly judge Ballard as a talent evaluator, but his approach, methods, and the way he handles the media have been above reproach, IMO. Polian ran a tight ship and everyone inside the operation respected him, but he also ruffled a lot of feathers outside of the building. By the end, several local guys hated him, rightly or not. Ballard seems to be genuinely liked by everyone in the media, local, national, and otherwise. 

Everyone also thought he was just going to default to his guy Dave Toub, and all indications are that he didn't even ask to interview Toub.

I even think he deserves credit for being willing to wait for McDaniels. As antsy as everyone has been -- from  'McDaniels wants the Giants job!' to 'McDaniels wants the Titans job!' to 'McDaniels is going to back out and stay with the Pats!' -- Ballard has just sat back and waited patiently, and at the end of the day, he gets his guy. And evidently, he's been laying the ground work for this hire for at least a year.

Main job of a GM is to add talent, and Ballard has a lot of work cut out for him there, but everything else he's doing is impressive.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Wait...

I'm cautiously optimistic. I had to come around on McDaniels, but he was my top candidate. I'm still concerned about his approach and the fact that he's a Belichick disciple, almost all of whom struggled when they leave New England. 

But the reasons for optimism are many and varied, IMO. And if Luck is healthy, I can see this team being a perennial contender. 

I fully understand your concern regarding PATS coaches who leave NE. However, this is JM's second rodeo, and years of experience under his belt since his last coaching stint, Including 5 Superbowl rings. I think his resume speaks for itself. I wanted he or Patricia to be honest. I'm happy we got em'.

I'm still concerned about his approach and the fact that he's a Belichick disciple, almost all of whom struggled when they leave New England. 

Maybe that's why I'm optimistic. The percentages dictate that it's about time that one of them is due to break out and be successful... right? O.o

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

Still a long way to go before we can fairly judge Ballard as a talent evaluator, but his approach, methods, and the way he handles the media have been above reproach, IMO. Polian ran a tight ship and everyone inside the operation respected him, but he also ruffled a lot of feathers outside of the building. By the end, several local guys hated him, rightly or not. Ballard seems to be genuinely liked by everyone in the media, local, national, and otherwise. 

Everyone also thought he was just going to default to his guy Dave Toub, and all indications are that he didn't even ask to interview Toub.

I even think he deserves credit for being willing to wait for McDaniels. As antsy as everyone has been -- from  'McDaniels wants the Giants job!' to 'McDaniels wants the Titans job!' to 'McDaniels is going to back out and stay with the Pats!' -- Ballard has just sat back and waited patiently, and at the end of the day, he gets his guy. And evidently, he's been laying the ground work for this hire for at least a year.

Main job of a GM is to add talent, and Ballard has a lot of work cut out for him there, but everything else he's doing is impressive.

Yeah, it is early days for Ballard still, but it looks like he can assemble a top team around him, and that people likes to come here to work with him. That is a very good base to build upon.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

I don't know.

I'm lukewarm on McDaniels, I see the upside, but there's a real chance the guy is still.. himself.

I don't know what's up with Luck and that's where the optimism would stem from. If he's ok and Ballard picks out solid players then forward momentum might turn into something better than 8-8 or whatever the heck this past season was.. 

Yeah pretty much this. I’m hoping it all works out but can’t ignore McDaniel’s previous track record as a head coach nor his previous connection to let's just say “rule circumvention”. So I’m hopeful yet concerned. 

Wait...

I had a bad feeling about this long before it ever became a reality. That said, I am going to keep an open mind. It's the right way to approach this situation.

This will be the shortest honeymoon (fan-coach) I have ever gone through with hiring a new Colts head coach. I will be fair. When praise is deserved then I will give it. Hoping for the best and being honest with the results is all I can do.

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I'm on board for being excited, but does anyone know if Luck's release

is quick enough to do well in the West Coast offense? I don't want to

be a Debbie downer but it's a valid question.

19 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

I'm on board for being excited, but does anyone know if Luck's release

is quick enough to do well in the West Coast offense? I don't want to

be a Debbie downer but it's a valid question.

Luck played in a WCO in college under Jim Harbaugh. Also, McDaniels doesn't run a WCO.

I think you're wondering whether Luck will do well in a quick rhythm, timing-based passing offense, since that's not what he's been in since he came in the league. Legit question, IMO. Luck does a good job of scanning field, but he doesn't have the quickest feet, he doesn't throw a lot of quick passes, and he holds the ball. I think a big part of that has been the coaching; he's been with coordinators who mostly cater to his ability to hang on to the ball, waiting for receivers to come open, because he's good at navigating a crowded pocket, keeping his eyes downfield, and throwing under pressure. He's also shown some inaccuracy on quick passes.

That's why I'm so glad he's working with Tom House, the guy who has worked with Drew Brees and Tom Brady for many years now. Everybody is so wrapped up in Luck's shoulder, but I think a less considered element is how much House will help him with his footwork, using his legs, hips and core to drive the ball, etc. Assuming Luck's shoulder and bicep are okay, the major benefit will be him rebuilding his mechanics from the ground up, literally. 

As for Luck's physical ability? I don't think there's anything that a QB needs to do that Luck isn't capable of. I say that as someone who has watched him play hundreds of games and throw thousands of passes over the last 8 years. He can refine some aspects of his game, for sure, and that's partly why I'm so excited to see him work with a noted passing coach like House, then be coached by McDaniels.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Luck played in a WCO in college under Jim Harbaugh. Also, McDaniels doesn't run a WCO.

I think you're wondering whether Luck will do well in a quick rhythm, timing-based passing offense, since that's not what he's been in since he came in the league. Legit question, IMO. Luck does a good job of scanning field, but he doesn't have the quickest feet, he doesn't throw a lot of quick passes, and he holds the ball. I think a big part of that has been the coaching; he's been with coordinators who mostly cater to his ability to hang on to the ball, waiting for receivers to come open, because he's good at navigating a crowded pocket, keeping his eyes downfield, and throwing under pressure. He's also shown some inaccuracy on quick passes.

That's why I'm so glad he's working with Tom House, the guy who has worked with Drew Brees and Tom Brady for many years now. Everybody is so wrapped up in Luck's shoulder, but I think a less considered element is how much House will help him with his footwork, using his legs, hips and core to drive the ball, etc. Assuming Luck's shoulder and bicep are okay, the major benefit will be him rebuilding his mechanics from the ground up, literally. 

As for Luck's physical ability? I don't think there's anything that a QB needs to do that Luck isn't capable of. I say that as someone who has watched him play hundreds of games and throw thousands of passes over the last 8 years. He can refine some aspects of his game, for sure, and that's partly why I'm so excited to see him work with a noted passing coach like House, then be coached by McDaniels.

Post of the day, excellent insight. I always thought the Pats ran a WCO.

Thanks for clarifying.

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

McDaniels was my top candidate too. Only because he has called many great games with the Patriots and is a proven winner. Hopefully he can turn us around a bit in the right direction.

He's a proven winner, while in New England. Take him out of N.E. and...not so much. I hope he proves me wrong and turns out to be a great coach. 

I can't wait for the TV analysts to break down a Colts play per its thought, planning, skill, and execution.  It'll be nice.

You know, instead of "well, they pulled a random play from the list, and are crossing their fingers the receivers get open waaay downfield before the pass rush gets to the... oh, nevermind."

34 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Post of the day, excellent insight. I always thought the Pats ran a WCO.

Thanks for clarifying.

There are many similarities. The biggest difference is the terminology and verbiage. The Pats run the Erhardt-Perkins offense, and truth be told, it can look like any other offense on any given day, especially when you have a QB like Luck. I don't think the Colts are going to run a dink-and-dunk passing offense, but I do think they'll stress efficiency and getting the ball out more quickly.

I also think we'll be able to run screen passes effectively, for a change. My head was spinning on Sunday watching all the different ways the Pats set up screens, and how perfect their timing was on almost all of them. 

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

There are many similarities. The biggest difference is the terminology and verbiage. The Pats run the Erhardt-Perkins offense, and truth be told, it can look like any other offense on any given day, especially when you have a QB like Luck. I don't think the Colts are going to run a dink-and-dunk passing offense, but I do think they'll stress efficiency and getting the ball out more quickly.

I also think we'll be able to run screen passes effectively, for a change. My head was spinning on Sunday watching all the different ways the Pats set up screens, and how perfect their timing was on almost all of them. 

That would certainly be refreshing.  It has been very frustrating watching the Colts struggle to properly execute them.

6 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Same!!

I haven't been this optimistic since the seasons leading up to 2006. And this is before FA and the draft. I can't wait.

The most optimistic I’ve been was with the Dungy hiring.  I anticipated a great defense.  Never really happened but loved the way he coached this team. 

25 minutes ago, HorseFly said:

I don't know that I'm optimistic yet.  I am excited to see change.  Let's see what McDaniels can do before optimism gets expressed.  I wish him luck and look forward to what he can bring.  

You are not looking toward optimism you are looking  for results. We are talking optimism here. I am very optimistic that Ballard and McDaniels are a great combo and that Luck will be healthy and we are headed for a great run for the next several years.  It is much safer to say I will judge it all when we know the results but in the meantime I am very optimistic and excited for the future.