Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is a Dynasty, Ranking the NFL Dynasties (and other sports)

Nesjan3

Last night after the superbowl i found myself in a heated debate with a friend about whether or not the Pats are to be considered a Dynasty, as well i had a convo with a fellow member on this board where we clearly had two different takes on the subject. So i wanted to make a thread discussing what everyone thinks. I just want to discuss the big 3 in this thread, NBA, NHL, NFL.

Now to me a Dynasty is one team winning a lot of championships for an extended period of time with a consistent staff and players. As i found out last night some people think completely different saying a dynasty is a term to define the very few times in sports history a team has completely dominated a sport ex: Celtics winning 11 out of 13 in the late 50s and 60s. I also believe the term dynasty should be adjusted for the different sports, like IMO its easier to have back to back championship teams in the NBA than it would be in the NFL and NHL. Anyways here would be my list ranked best to worst, feel free to comment and add yours.

NFL

#1- Cleveland Browns(1946-1965)

The Brown in this era were unstoppable going 47-4-3 in the AAFC winning all 4 Championships from 1946-1949. The AAFC last game before merging with the NFL was actually all the AAFC best players against the Browns in an All-Star Game. The Browns were accepted into the NFL in 1950 and went on to go to 6 straight championship games winning 3 of them (50,54,55), they also appeared in 3 more (57, 64, 65) winning in 64 shutting out the Baltimore Colts 27-0 against a team that was suppose to be younger faster, and all around better.

This is my favorite because they seem to be all but forgotten to anybody who is not a Browns fan, the best the NFL had to offer IMO.

#2- Pittsburgh Steelers(1974-1979)

The Steelers did the unthinkable in the 70s winning, going from the league doormat to winning 4 championships in 6 years (2 back to back) 74, 75, 78,79. IMO this kind of winning streak may never repeat itself in the NFL.

#3-Greenbay Packers(1960-1967)

The Packers appeared in the 1960 championship and lost to the Eagles than went on to dominate the league winning back to back in 61,62 both against the Giants allowing them 7 points in 2 championship games. They went on to beat the formidable Browns in the 65 championship, and win the first 2 superbowls ever 66 and 67, making them the only team in NFL history to win 3 consecutive championships (unless you count the Browns 4 straight in the AAFC).

#4- San Francisco 49ers (1981-1994)

Like the Steelers the 49ers went from unknown to unstoppable in the 80s. Winning in 81 out of nowhere again in 84, than back to back in 88, 89. They capped it off with another win in 94 with a different coach and Qb, whether or not that should be included is definitely opinion based. They were still winning a lot between 89-94 and transitioned coaches and quarterbacks so easily i think the 94 championship is part of their 15 year dynasty. Before the most recent loss against the Ravens in the SB the 49ers had an unheard of 5/5 record in superbowls, and they were not close games by any means, they shredded their opponents 188-89 in those 5 games.

#5- Dallas Cowboys(1992-1995)

I only included this team because winning back to back is hard enough in the NFL but winning 3 in 4 years just never happens. 92-93 championship winners and again in 95, but if it was not for the formidable 49ers and the upstart Packers this team would have won in 94 and 96 as well.

#6- New England Patriots (2001-2017)

ahh the Patriots, won 3 in 4 years like the Cowboys in 01, 03, 04, made another two appearances in 07, 11. Won again in 14 and 16, and of course yesterdays loss.

They have been the best in the league since Brady and Belicheck teamed up no doubt about it. I would have ranked them higher but cheating allegations and a lot of shade has been thrown over this organization over the last 15 years leading some (including myself) to see this as a tainted dynasty, but a Dynasty still IMO.

Honorable Mentions

- Miami Dolphins (1971-1973) 

Went to 3 straight winning back to back and have the only undefeated season in history

-Chicago Bears (1933-1946)

Won 5 championships including back to back 40, 41. appeared in another 3.

-Denver Broncos (1986-1998)

Lost 3 than won back to back 88,89

-Buffalo Bills (1990-1993) and Minnesota (1969-1976)

Both teams went to 4 superbowls and lost them all. (the Bills 4 straight!)

NHL

#1- Montreal Canadiens (1953-1979)

16 stanley Cups in 25 years going 5 straight in the late 50s, 4 out of 5 in the late 60s and 4 straight in the late 70s.

#2-Edmonton Oilers (1983-1990)

Appearing in the 83 stanley cup and losing to the Islanders than going on to win 5 in 7 years with 2 back to back.

#3- New York Islanders(1980-1983)

4 straight stanley cups.

#4- Toronto Maple Leafs (1945-1967)

9 championships and twice they won 3 in a row.

NBA

#1- Boston Celtics(1957- 1986)

11 out of 13 between 57-69 than another 5 between 74 and 86.

#2- LA Lakers (1980-1989), (2000-2010)

5/8 between 80 and 89 

5/7 between 00 and 10

#3 Chicago Bulls (1991-1998)

6/6, 3 in a row twice, probably would have been 8 in a row if MJ didn't retire and would have been ranked #2

I think the meaning has changed over the years, especially nowadays with the money involved. Players move all the time, not like years ago where your best players USUALLY never left. Same with coaches staying a bit longer at a place. Coaches get hired and fired real quick nowadays. Hard to build anything.

The Pats in today's sports atmosphere belongs in that realm even without winning it every year. They literally are either winning it, losing in it or losing one game prior to the title game every year for 15 plus years.

I don't think we'll see the old school definition of a dynasty like you're talking about (Bos Celtics), that's what makes ne a special case. They're as close to the old definition as we'll see for a long time.

Not sure I even answered correctly..

The Ucla bball run was another hardcore dynasty.

Due to the implementation of the salary cap, the (relative) meaning of Dynasty must be viewed differently.

Pre-1992 (when the capo was implemented), organizations like the Steelers & Niners were able to hold onto the same core group of players for as long as they wanted, essentially.  The Steeler's dynasty of the 70's has 15 players in the HOF while the Patriots only have 20 players on their roster from SB49 (3yrs ago).

I think it is safe to say that, under the current NFL salary cap rules, we will never see an 18+ year run like the Patriots have had.