Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Patriot dynasty is finally over.

dodsworth

1 hour ago, MightyLucks said:

I do think the Pats GREAT run is FINALLY coming to an end. So much controversy about the relationship between Brady and Bill. Gronk might be retiring, losing all 3 main coordinators, and no back up plan for life after an aging Brady. They finally look vulnerable not just on the field but with their off the field issues.

Dont get it twisted, I HATE the Patriots but you cant deny the greatness they have show the last 15 years. As a Colts fan, I am bitter and jealous and HATE them but as a fan of football, you have to appreciate how great they have been. They rarely had big time skill position players.

I am glad it is finally coming to an end and the Colts will start their 10 year dominance this year.

Of course we cant do this but I often wonder how many SB wins we would've had if the Pats weren't in the league. I think we win the SB in 2003 definitely, maybe 2004 as well because Ben was a rookie with Pittsburgh so I think we could've beat them and beat that Eagles team. That was 2 years the Pats beat us in the Playoffs. I also think in 2014 we would've at least made the SB had we played anyone but the Pats. Had we played the Ravens it would've been here and Luck had already beaten them once.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, dodsworth said:

It's been a tough slog through the last 15 year's or so for Colts fans and other NFL

fans in general but it's finally over. Brady is 40 year's old this year and will be at least

42 or 43 year's old by the time they absorb the loss of both their OC and DC this year.

The Pats put up everything they owned on this year's quest for a 6th Super Bowl and

lost their mortgaged home in the process. They squandered their future by letting

Garopollo go instead of an aging Brady.

Pardon me for not taking the high road but I'm going to enjoy watching Brady and

the Pats organization deteriorate over the next few years. 

TRANSLATED: My self-esteem is so low that I need to revel in the failure of others in order to feel good about myself.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:56 AM, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/NFLpowerrankingsx180204/2018-nfl-power-rankings-way-too-early-offseason-preview

I know it is an early power ranking but it doesn't sound like the end has happened just quite yet. They are also the earlt favorites in Vegas at 9-2 odds. If that's the end of the dynasty then sign me up!

Exactly...The Vegas odds tell us that most people aren't writing off the Pats quite yet..

1 hour ago, Yehoodi said:

It may depend on how they do with the new DC and OC.  They had an off year in 2005 but we had a lot of injuries in that year.   

Given Brady is 40 and wants to play to 45, I think he will be the factor on when the pats run is over.  If he can maintain his play for the next 3-4 years and BB stays on, then I do not see them dropping off during those years, especially as the team has a good portion of its core players in their prime.  Its not like the 08-11 team we are talking about when they were retooling.

With the status of the AFC, there does not really seem like there is a powerhouse team in the AFC unlike the 2000s and so the Pats, even if weaken, will likely still make some noise in the AFC. 

As for TB's replacement, time will tell if that one is good or not.  Also, depends on the next coach.  With Kraft still being the owner, it just depends on if the team can get a franchise QB and coach once BB and Brady hang them up, they may go back to 8-8, maybe be a playoff contender, or perhaps better, who knows. 

Not according to some analysts who predict the afc south to be a dominant division in the coming years. Each team is set up for massive success and you coups see three afc south teams in the playoffs. Heck the pats lucked out against the jags, and you still think the pats will remain the top dominant team?

Good luck.

1 minute ago, Narcosys said:

Not according to some analysts who predict the afc south to be a dominant division in the coming years. Each team is set up for massive success and you coups see three afc south teams in the playoffs. Heck the pats lucked out against the jags, and you still think the pats will remain the top dominant team?

Good luck.

I remember one year ago.... these same "analysts" were telling us that the AFC West was going to be the "dominant" division and the raiders were the next great team to challenge the pats.  Of these so-called "analysts", how many of them picked Philly to be in the SB this year?

Reality sets in once the games begin and the "analysts" look just as foolish as the rest of us!

1 minute ago, Reality Check said:

I remember one year ago.... these same "analysts" were telling us that the AFC West was going to be the "dominant" division and the raiders were the next great team to challenge the pats.  Of these so-called "analysts", how many of them picked Philly to be in the SB this year?

Reality sets in once the games begin and the "analysts" look just as foolish as the rest of us!

Texans were balling until they lost Watson, Jags made it to the AFCCG....with Blake bortles, Titans dealt with injuries and still made the playoffs and their new OC is a perfect fit for mariota, then you have the Colts who have top picks and *fingers crossed* Luck coming back.

Outlook, even with healthy scepticism, is up.

It may depend on how they do with the new DC and OC.  They had an off year in 2005 but we had a lot of injuries in that year.   

Given Brady is 40 and wants to play to 45, I think he will be the factor on when the pats run is over.  If he can maintain his play for the next 3-4 years and BB stays on, then I do not see them dropping off during those years, especially as the team has a good portion of its core players in their prime.  Its not like the 08-11 team we are talking about when they were retooling.

With the status of the AFC, there does not really seem like there is a powerhouse team in the AFC unlike the 2000s and so the Pats, even if weaken, will likely still make some noise in the AFC. 

As for TB's replacement, time will tell if that one is good or not.  Also, depends on the next coach.  With Kraft still being the owner, it just depends on if the team can get a franchise QB and coach once BB and Brady hang them up, they may go back to 8-8, maybe be a playoff contender, or perhaps better, who knows. 

Losing all three coordinators is going to be a tough hurdle next year. In two

years from now if they put a dominant defense on the field and Brady doesn't

hit the age wall then maybe they can eek out another one. I look for him to

Start throwing ducks in the next couple of years.

I agree with a lot of this post, but disagree with a few points.  

The Pats will be contenders next year and actually I think this loss fires them up.  As you said, Belichick is at least sticking around as long as Brady is there.  I also agree there aren't any other true AFC powerhouses.. yet.  Although, if Houston could actually keep their key players healthy throughout the season, they could be very dangerous.  

But I am not buying into Brady playing at a top level until he is 45 unless I see it.  It's already amazing that he is playing this well at 40, but time catches up very quickly in the NFL.  Manning had a 55 TD season and two years later he was clearly done.  Brady is going to get hit more as he slows down and those hits are going to add up very fast to an aging body.  Personally, I think he has two more seasons in him as a top level QB, which is still incredibly impressive.  

As far as replacing Brady and Belichick, good luck.  Two of the greatest of all time are not going to be replaced easily at all.  Before the Garoppolo trade I thought Belichick would outstay Brady, but now not so much, unless they draft a top level QB soon.  If Belichick does stick around after Brady. I think the Pats will be fine.  Maybe not quite as dominant, but they won't disappear.   If he's gone, expect there to be some dark periods.  

2 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Good luck.

True the AFCS may indeed be the king of the mountain in a few years, which would be fantastic, I hope they will.  Until then though they do have a pedigree of not being the best.  Perhaps the coaches and QBs will break through the glass ceiling, time will tell. Maybe next year. 

And yes anything can happen next year, Baltimore could come back in the fold, Pitts may take the #1 seed, KC might get a great QB, the upsurging AFCE may take some games from the Pats and/or win the division.   For next year someone has to step up to take the conference and/or be a powerhouse, we will see.  Should be a fun year. 

We were down Edelman, Mitchell, and Hightower late in the season and Gronk did go down against the Jags.  Whose knows how our roster will be next year with folks all getting one year older, but we should get a few play makers back. 

Again, not sop sure where the Pats will be in 2021, but 2018 the Pats should be in the hunt absent major injuries.   

2 hours ago, dodsworth said:

we will have to see how the coordinators transition comes into play.  My hope is that regardless of what happens early, the team has a chance to make the playoffs and have enough chemistry that by the time December rolls around things are running smoother than September.   We will see. 

2 hours ago, Corndog said:

The Pats will be contenders next year and actually I think this loss fires them up.  As you said, Belichick is at least sticking around as long as Brady is there.  I also agree there aren't any other true AFC powerhouses.. yet.  Although, if Houston could actually keep their key players healthy throughout the season, they could be very dangerous.  

But I am not buying into Brady playing at a top level until he is 45 unless I see it.  It's already amazing that he is playing this well at 40, but time catches up very quickly in the NFL.  Manning had a 55 TD season and two years later he was clearly done.  Brady is going to get hit more as he slows down and those hits are going to add up very fast to an aging body.  Personally, I think he has two more seasons in him as a top level QB, which is still incredibly impressive.  

As far as replacing Brady and Belichick, good luck.  Two of the greatest of all time are not going to be replaced easily at all.  Before the Garoppolo trade I thought Belichick would outstay Brady, but now not so much, unless they draft a top level QB soon.  If Belichick does stick around after Brady. I think the Pats will be fine.  Maybe not quite as dominant, but they won't disappear.   If he's gone, expect there to be some dark periods.  

I agree with most of your post.  In the end, am already prepped for the post Brady/BB era to be a fun era where the fun excitement is making the playoffs, winning a playoff game or two.  And each Sunday will be a victory if we win and if we get in the playoffs all the more special.  Am hoping our team will be like it was in the 1990s, but time will tell. 

Yes, we do not know what Brady will look like at age 43.  Perhaps he will go down more and sacrifice more voluntary sacks in exchange for being in the game for the season.

I really wanted Jimmy G and would of liked to have had him, but the timing in the transfer may not have been there.  

Also, there is a small part of me that thinks he may not be what all folks are saying.  Once he has a bigger resume and thus a book on him, let see how he does.  Also, lets see if he can avoid injuries.  

3 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Texans were balling until they lost Watson, Jags made it to the AFCCG....with Blake bortles, Titans dealt with injuries and still made the playoffs and their new OC is a perfect fit for mariota, then you have the Colts who have top picks and *fingers crossed* Luck coming back.

Outlook, even with healthy scepticism, is up.

You are making my point.....

Injuries, roster turnover, coaching turnover, draft, etc.... are all going to happen before September & most of these teams will undergo significant change by then, so how do we know which teams are gonna be good?

Do yourself a favor and do NOT bet on anything the analysts tell you/us! ;)

3 hours ago, dodsworth said:

In one sense, ANY team who loses all 3 coordinators has some major obstacles to overcome.

At the same time, BB has known this day was coming (for all 3 guys) for a few years now.  Knowing that he generally promotes from within, I am guessing that he successors for all 3 guys are already in-house.  Just remember the names of Chad O'Shea and Brian Flores...

33 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

In one sense, ANY team who loses all 3 coordinators has some major obstacles to overcome.

At the same time, BB has known this day was coming (for all 3 guys) for a few years now.  Knowing that he generally promotes from within, I am guessing that he successors for all 3 guys are already in-house.  Just remember the names of Chad O'Shea and Brian Flores...

It's going to be interesting to see if Bill can pull this one out of a hat, also,

his decision to keep Brady and letting Garopollo walk.

Montana, Farve, Manning among a few greats let go late in their career

to make room for up and coming young QBs.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:50 AM, dodsworth said:

It's been a tough slog through the last 15 year's or so for Colts fans and other NFL

fans in general but it's finally over. Brady is 40 year's old this year and will be at least

42 or 43 year's old by the time they absorb the loss of both their OC and DC this year.

The Pats put up everything they owned on this year's quest for a 6th Super Bowl and

lost their mortgaged home in the process. They squandered their future by letting

Pardon me for not taking the high road but I'm going to enjoy watching Brady and

Google Vegas Odds On Super Bowl 53 Winner and you'll see NE is the favorite despite who knows about Hoody, Brady, OC & D coordinators. What does that tell you? I think Vegas is deeply in love

46 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Google Vegas Odds On Super Bowl 53 Winner and you'll see NE is the favorite despite who knows about Hoody, Brady, OC & D coordinators. What does that tell you? I think Vegas is deeply in love

Vegas odds are a good starting point for the masses, but the real

question is who are the professional gamblers betting on?

On 2/5/2018 at 9:50 AM, dodsworth said:

They didn't struggle after losing Weis and Crennell.  I'm guessing they will be fine until the hoodie retires 

5 hours ago, Corndog said:

This is an excellent point. Manning dropped off very quickly as did Favre. Brady has a solid line but with McDaniels gone the offensive scheme will have to be similar in that Brady will have to be protected as much as possible. With an QB (especially an aging one) you have to be aware that any solid hit could be the one that does damage. This predictability will be a weakness that can be exploited. Easier said than done I know.

Overall though I agree. Two more seasons at this level. Problem is that the rest of the league will catch up and there are some defensive powerhouses that will only get better as they play.

39 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Hopefully for their sake they did not bet on McDaniels signing with the Colts!!

Yup, Mc*r is a big piece to their success. They will be in the hunt

as long as Brady is playing like Brady. Eating healthy or not, my bet he 

is on roids if he continues to defy aging.

17 hours ago, dodsworth said:

It's going to be interesting to see if Bill can pull this one out of a hat, also,

his decision to keep Brady and letting Garopollo walk.

Montana, Farve, Manning among a few greats let go late in their career

to make room for up and coming young QBs.

Well, Bill managed to hold on to McD ....let's see what he pulls out of his hat next??... :)

On 2/5/2018 at 12:02 PM, bluebombers87 said:

He had a few passes that left points on the table (at least for the time). The one to Hogan where Hogan has to wait for it surely cost them a TD on that play.

He had one beautiful pass over the shoulder and hit the receiver right in the basket in stride. Unfortunately for them that was the exception for his long ball that night. He’s never been much of a deep threat without Moss but in years past he had a bit more mustard on his throws.

He also lost Cooks very early in the game with a concussion. That is the true deep threat on the team.  

5 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

He also lost Cooks very early in the game with a concussion. That is the true deep threat on the team.  

Ok. 

Still doesn’t change the fact that Brady had some pretty bad throws, especially the last drive.

But what do I know. After all I’m just a guy from the Midwest and not a lawyer so I must be ignorant, right?

1 hour ago, bluebombers87 said:

Ok. 

Still doesn’t change the fact that Brady had some pretty bad throws, especially the last drive.

But what do I know. After all I’m just a guy from the Midwest and not a lawyer so I must be ignorant, right?

Wow you totally missed the point of the post when I mentioned lawyers.. it was a dig on lawyers and actually a compliment to the Midwest.. but whatever.

ya he had some off target throws but it happens NO one is accurate 100%!of the time. The game was lost by defense and BB for being stubborn and not playing Butler at all.

On 2/7/2018 at 1:12 PM, JimJaime said:

Wow you totally missed the point of the post when I mentioned lawyers.. it was a dig on lawyers and actually a compliment to the Midwest.. but whatever.

ya he had some off target throws but it happens NO one is accurate 100%!of the time. The game was lost by defense and BB for being stubborn and not playing Butler at all.

Well based on the reaction it received you might want to be more careful how you word things. I’ll give the benefit of the doubt here and choose to take it the way you intended.

I never said anyone should be 100%. What I was saying is that Brady was throwing some very un-Brady like throws.

On 2/7/2018 at 11:51 AM, bluebombers87 said:

Ok. 

Every quarterback, in ANY game, will have "some bad throws."

Brady took a game where he was getting literally no help at all from his defense and the other QB was on fire, and came damn close to winning.  The Patriots had no business even being in that game. 

Don't let the scoreboard fool you, that Philly defense is good.  TB12 ripped it apart.  He tried to manhandle his team to a Superbowl win practically singlehandedly with very little help except for Gronk and a couple other receivers, and nearly pulled it off, except his O-Line failed him once at a critical moment on the 2 minute drill.

8 hours ago, George Peterson said:

Every quarterback, in ANY game, will have "some bad throws."

Brady took a game where he was getting literally no help at all from his defense and the other QB was on fire, and came damn close to winning.  The Patriots had no business even being in that game. 

Don't let the scoreboard fool you, that Philly defense is good.  TB12 ripped it apart.  He tried to manhandle his team to a Superbowl win practically singlehandedly with very little help except for Gronk and a couple other receivers, and nearly pulled it off, except his O-Line failed him once at a critical moment on the 2 minute drill.

So it’s everyone else’s fault but his? How’s his colon look, healthy I hope?

AGAIN, he had some very un-Brady like throws. He missed a decent numbers he normally makes. Not saying anything other than that. Take from it what you will and infer what you like but I don’t think I was the only one to see it.

Let's see.  A QB who throws for a ton of yards, but doesn't get the win because he doesn't have a good enough defense.....hhhmmmm..that sounds so familiar...I think it was a guy....no, I think 2 guys........yeah, 2 guys named Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck who we've watched years and years playing like that only to have some people claim Brady is better, when we all know he had a top defense to,help him and we didn't. 

Too early to tell.  They've had a great run but i'm not sure that it's over. 

I think the assumption (us and NE's) is that Manboy McDaniels will be taking over the coaching duties after BB retires.  He may or may not.  However, he's probably ruined his career outside of NE.   I'm not sure how many NE fans want him as HC.

I think BB and Brady will retire together and will plan it together.  FA will be used to address the QB position, depending on when NE picks in the first round. 

On February 5, 2018 at 10:18 AM, GoPats said:

I've heard this story before. haha

It will happen, someday. I don't think that someday is going to be in 2018 though. I could be wrong. If I am? And if it's done? Can't complain. Pretty good run... 

Yes, you have heard that story before GP. You guys will win the AFC East easy & at least make the Division Round of the playoffs with no trouble at all. Brady has 2 more yrs of elite ball left in him where anything can happen in terms of going after that 6th ring. 

You're team has nothing be ashamed of. They played well & a strip sack can happen to any QB at the worst possible time. Speaking of time, I'm still waiting on the latest installment of Tom vs Time. Any news on that front? Must be editing it & fine-tuning it I guess. 

On February 6, 2018 at 1:55 PM, Yehoodi said:

I really wanted Jimmy G and would of liked to have had him, but the timing in the transfer may not have been there.  

I gonna be honest with ya since I respect you so much. I wanted BB & the Pats to proceed with Jimmy G & part peacefully with Brady & see how long you could have kept the Lombardi trophy train going. Jimmy would've been instrumental in acquiring at least 2 more rings. I seriously believe that. 

I know it's never easy to part ways with a HOF QB like Brady but Kraft made a mistake retaining Brady at his age like Jules said earlier. Jimmy would have kept NE relevant for the next 10-12 yrs. I'm not slamming Tom. I admire his impressive level of success. I truly do. All I'm saying is this: No trainer regardless of how well his methods may be can keep a QB playing forever. Jimmy was due to take over the reins. It was time & Mr. Kraft let his affection for Tom blur his objectivity. Robert is a smart guy who made a fatal mistake for his franchise's future. JMO. 

I really liked Jimmy G, IMO he would've been a heck of a Plan B replacing Tommy. Patriots will still be Great next season but after that not sure? I give them 1 more year to be somewhat dominant, maybe 2 if Belichick doesn't retire. Father time catches up with everyone so saying they will be Great for 3 more years is a huge stretch. I see no reason why they cant at least make the Title Game again and even winning 1 more SB is possible with Tommy and BB. If they don't win the SB this up coming season then it gets dicey.

Seems pretty slammed shut to me. The 49ers are going to own the NFC in a year or two with golden boy Jimmy who looks like he walked out of a romance novel. Tom Brady could never compete against Jimmy since he would feel inferior physically.

Next year with Rodgers back is clearly the year of the Packers. Rodgers will get ring #2 after staying healthy all year long.

A year later will be the year of the Colts once we get everyone revamped again under new and improved coaching.

So yeah it looks slammed shut in the next two years. Duh.

giphy.gif