Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What’s next for Nick Foles?

Luck 4 president

If you’re the Eagles do you start the SB MVP next season, bench him, trade him, or trade wentz? I don’t think a team has ever been in this position except maybe the 49ers with Young and Montana. I know Foles is certainly no Young or Montana but he has played extremely well his entire career outside the Jeff Fisher years. If they’re going to roll with Wentz, they will certainly be receiving trade offers that will be hard to turn down for someone who will ride the bench next season. 

Just curious what you would do if you were the Eagles front office.

54 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

If you’re the Eagles do you start the SB MVP next season, bench him, trade him, or trade wentz? I don’t think a team has ever been in this position except maybe the 49ers with Young and Montana. I know Foles is certainly no Young or Montana but he has played extremely well his entire career outside the Jeff Fisher years. If they’re going to roll with Wentz, they will certainly be receiving trade offers that will be hard to turn down for someone who will ride the bench next season. 

Very good position for the Eagles to be in for sure.

Foles seems to get a lot of negativity aimed at him and IMO don't deserve it. He was and played like a pro bowler in 2013. He has mostly played well when given the chance. 

If Wentz comes back healthy I would think the Eagles would go back to him being he was leading the MVP race of the league had he not got injured. Had he not got injured Brady would have not won his MVP this season IMO.

That play where they threw to him, in my mind, told me everything I need to know: They're sticking with him going forward. Oh, and Brady dropping his respective pass was icing on the cake.

I'm not sure if the city of Philly would allow the organization to get rid of Foles now at this point. I know how passionate those Philly fans are, and after all the good things the Eagles players are saying about him post-game, I don't see how you get rid of him.

• Like 1

I would say that based on this article that Nick Foles will at some point be traded. He has a relatively small cap hit for a QB. I could really see Jacksonville making a trade for him based on the fact that they are probably going to have to keep Bortles next season. With Bortles set to make $19 mil I can't really see them paying 2 QB's starter money, but if they traded for Foles they would have a starter and backup for less than what Kirk Cousins will probably make per season on his new deal.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nick-foles-contract-would-make-him-a-free-agent-if-hes-on-the-eagles-in-february-2019/

3 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

That play where they threw to him, in my mind, told me everything I need to know: They're sticking with him going forward. Oh, and Brady dropping his respective pass was icing on the cake.

I'm not sure if the city of Philly would allow the organization to get rid of Foles now at this point. I know how passionate those Philly fans are, and after all the good things the Eagles players are saying about him post-game, I don't see how you get rid of him.

That's like thinking the Colts were going to draft Luck and keep Manning

Wentz had a torn ACL and it happened in November. It typically takes a year for 100% healing so does Philly throw him to the dogs in 2018 or keep Foles to play for x number of regular season games letting Wentz's recovery be assured for  his many years to come?

• Like 1

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22326194/nfl-insiders-predict-2018-offseason-philadelphia-eagles-do-nick-foles 

Many suggesting the best thing to do for Foles and the Eagles is to strike while the iron is hot and trade him.  I understand the arguement that the Eagles will never get morefor him than they would get now; however, having just lived this scenario with Luck, I would want to make sure my franchise QB was 100%.  Foles’ 18-19 contract is 7mil...a team friendly insurance policy.

24 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Just goes to show the importance of having a quality backup QB. 

I think the Eagles will trade him. Their GM has done a great job with that team. 

I think you are half right. LG.

This playodff run suggest strongly that a playoff-hopeful team MUST have an experienced backup (The Colts should just sit on Jacoby Brissett).

But for that very reason, the Eagles will simply keep Nick Foles until the end of his contract. And why would he want to leave.

The Eagles will trade him.  But the guy gets to be a hero in Philly for the rest of his life.  

Someone will be willing to try out the Run/Pass option thing that he seems to do extremely well with.  

At the very lowest I expect that he will be brought in as a vet starter for a team that drafted a QB but wants to give him a year to learn.  But I wouldn't be surprised if he was brought in as the plan for now and the plan for the future as well.  

6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

This playodff run suggest strongly that a playoff-hopeful team MUST have an experienced backup (The Colts should just sit on Jacoby Brissett).

But for that very reason, the Eagles will simply keep Nick Foles until the end of his contract. And why would he want to leave.

I don't think you can justify hanging on to a backup that another team might be willing to give you a first or 2nd round pick for.  

20 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Oh, IDK, maybe to get a chance to be the franchise starting QB for a team that needs one?

If I were him I'd be asking about being traded to either the Jets, Bills or Jags though I really hope it's not the Jags.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Maybe your screen name has what's next? lol Or at least mayor of Philly! If I'm the Eagles you have to weigh the chances you might need him to start again if Wentz gets hurt and the fact that if Wentz ever struggles (it could happen) then he might lose the fan base to Foles. It seems Foles and Pederson have a special bond... I think they keep him....find a way to lock him up long term. You see the value of a good back up (or at least a backup that fits your scheme) and in the NFL you can never know when its next man up. Love it for him! Seems like a humble and appreciative guy. Couldn't have happened to a better person I don't think.

43 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I think it'd be smart to keep him, but if Wentz comes back and is ok, then Foles might be sent to the bench. Not the most popular move to send the SB MVP to sit on the bench. Is Foles even cool with that? 

Plus they can get picks for trading him....he's red hot right meow. 

37 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

He'll be in high demand, if you ask me.  Too many QB-needy teams.  Unfortunately for the Colts and trade-down possibilities, I could definitely see him getting traded to a QB-needy team before the draft.  Give him a good offensive coordinator and I could see him in Denver

Ehh I think they will try to get Cousins first. 

Big thing with Foles is it seems you need to run a specialized RPO offense for him to do well.  That might turn off a lot of teams.

I can see teams offering a mid-late first plus a future 2nd for him. If I’m the eagles, out of respect of their hero, I would sit down with him and ask what he wanted. If he wants a fair QB battle with Wentz with the chance of being benched, or the chance to lead an already established franchise like the cards, bills, jags, or broncos. 

I think he would likely want to stay in philly and be content with backing up Wentz because he already tried leading the rams and that didn’t turn out too well. But maybe going to a better team and a better coach than Jeff fisher may seem appealing to him.

Philly owes him so much and needs to do what he wants imo.

39 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

He'll be in high demand, if you ask me.  Too many QB-needy teams.  Unfortunately for the Colts and trade-down possibilities, I could definitely see him getting traded to a QB-needy team before the draft.  Give him a good offensive coordinator and I could see him in Denver

was just thinking this.  Here's a possibility, the Giants trade for him, Keep Eli and then let Foles take over when Eli retires in the next year or two.  Then the Giants take Chubb at number 2. 

13 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I can see teams offering a mid-late first plus a future 2nd for him. If I’m the eagles, out of respect of their hero, I would sit down with him and ask what he wanted. If he wants a fair QB battle with Wentz with the chance of being benched, or the chance to lead an already established franchise like the cards, bills, jags, or broncos. 

I think he would likely want to stay in philly and be content with backing up Wentz because he already tried leading the rams and that didn’t turn out too well. But maybe going to a better team and a better coach than Jeff fisher may seem appealing to him.

I don't think there is much shot of a fair QB battle.  I think Wentz really is the better QB even against Foles at his best.  Wentz doesn't have to run a offense tailored to him quite like Foles does.

And any QB at his age is going to want to have a chance to start somewhere.

The toughest thing really is going to be the emotional aspect of letting him go.  He just won them their first SB by outdueling Tom Brady.  No matter what happens as long as he doesn't say anything mean about the city or the team he'll forever be a hero in Philly.  Odd how things worked out for him though.  Was drafted by Philly and when he first started he looked like a franchise QB.  Got traded away, looked bad, eventually came back as a free agent backup only to lead the team to a SB win right after Wentz got hurt.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Ehh I think they will try to get Cousins first. 

Big thing with Foles is it seems you need to run a specialized RPO offense for him to do well.  That might turn off a lot of teams.

eh, no you don't.  He's been very successful in that type of offense but I have no doubt he could run just about any type of offense.  He'd be great imo in any type of WCO.

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

He also led the Eagles under Chip Kelly to the number 1 seed in the conference before getting hurt just a couple of weeks before the playoffs.  He's played well under Andy Reid.  The only place he really wasn't successful was StL but the coaching staff was a dumpster fire and they had little to no talent on offense.

I don't see him wanting to stay in Philly unless they give him a legitimate chance to beat out Wentz.  I think he'd want to go somewhere where he'd have a better chance of being the franchise QB.

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2018 at 12:45 PM, shakedownstreet said:

I can think of 15-20 million reasons per year Foles may want to leave Philly

Problem is if he's traded his contract is traded so he's on a cheap contract for one more year.

It sounds to me like the Eagles intention for right now is to keep Foles.  Possibly as a guy to start the season if Wentz isn't ready by then. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2018 at 12:25 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Very good position for the Eagles to be in for sure.

Foles seems to get a lot of negativity aimed at him and IMO don't deserve it. He was and played like a pro bowler in 2013. He has mostly played well when given the chance. 

If Wentz comes back healthy I would think the Eagles would go back to him being he was leading the MVP race of the league had he not got injured. Had he not got injured Brady would have not won his MVP this season IMO.

1. He’s a God fearing Christian man who speaks about his faith so he will be fought at everything he does and criticized. 

2. He had an amazing year the fell off and struggled to re-establish himself as a starter until his SB run. ( I blame coaching and schemes )