Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lets add foles to the list of Elite

Shadow_Creek

Yes, Nick Foles is the only player other than Peyton to beat Belichick and Brady in the playoffs when his team gives up more than 30 points. Mad props to him. Mad props to Doug Pederson to go for that 4th down TD before the half and that big 4th down conversion at midfield on that game winning drive.

On a side note, I swear Nick Saban and Alabama trade championship years with the Patriots. Alabama won the national championship in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015 and 2017

Patriots have not won the SB in any of those years. Do you think the despised ones (Saban and Belichick) alternate college and NFL championships? Hahaha, I think so, very much.

So, when Alabama won this year's championship, I had a gut feeling the Patriots would lose another close one

The only list I'm adding him to is the list of potential trade targets for a team that needs a QB.  It is probably a good situation for Philly, they may get a decent draft pick for him.  This is assuming that he is not a FA this offseason.

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

The only list I'm adding him to is the list of potential trade targets for a team that needs a QB.  It is probably a good situation for Philly, they may get a decent draft pick for him.  This is assuming that he is not a FA this offseason.

Wentz got hurt in week 14. I highly doubt they trade Foles this off season. 

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Foles elite?! Look at his career and he stunk up the field on two occasions this year. When Foles was bad he was really bad in his career.  Back ups are back ups for the same reason-not good enough to be starters.

So you're going to base his entire career on 2 games?  How about you actually look at his entire career. He had the Eagles as the #1 seed just a few years ago.  They were looking like the team to beat in the entire league...and that was while running Chip Kelly's offense, an offense that NO ONE thought he was a good fit for.  

Steve Young, Brett Favre, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers....guys who were all backups when they started out their careers.  

10 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

its a pretty short list of elite QB's that have beaten Brady in the Superbowl or to go to the Superbowl

so Manning, Manning, flacco, Foles:thmup:

I'm one of Foles' biggest fans but I wouldn't put him in elite category at this time.  As others have said, he had an amazing run and I do think he'll be able to sustain it if traded and given a chance to be the guy, but as of now no he's not in the category of elites.

7 minutes ago, Dustin said:

what ever happened to players just going on hot streaks? He had two pretty good playoff games but let's not make it anything more than what it actually is. 

This.  Foles played some unbelievable football last night, but let's not over-hype him.  He's never thrown for more than 3000 yards in a season, he's never thrown for more than 30 TDs in a season, and his career passer rating is below 90.  He had an unreal playoff run, but let's not call him elite.

I said this before, will say it again now. Case Keenum found his sweet spot after a few games under his belt but as the season went on, his ceiling was capped with the amount of film they had of him in the Vikings' system.

Similarly, film on Foles from previous sytem and games had to be trashed because Doug Pederson revamped it to play to Foles' strengths. He was starting to hit his sweet spot, perfectly timed for the playoffs. I just do not think Foles would be able to sustain it over a season. Wentz got them there for the #1 seed, which was big, and Foles got on a roll there once he had the reps and few games under his belt.

Joins Hostetler and Doug Williams as 2 guys with 3 or less starts to win the SB, so it has happened before. Flacco, before the 2012 playoffs, the Ravens revamped their O-line and made the change to Jim Caldwell as OC right before the playoffs, and then that run happened. Sometimes, teams go on a run based on a spark, and the team that the Ravens played, the 49ers, went on their own run once Kaepernick was made the QB.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

This.  Foles played some unbelievable football last night, but let's not over-hype him.  He's never thrown for more than 3000 yards in a season, he's never thrown for more than 30 TDs in a season, and his career passer rating is below 90.  He had an unreal playoff run, but let's not call him elite.

I dont' care about any of those numbers because he's never had the chance to play a full 16 game season.  The one time he almost did but got hurt he was well on his way to blowing past both of those numbers.  Plus, come on, you're being a bit pedantic using those numbers.  He was close to both in 2013 and he missed 3 games. :P

He is the real deal...but I've been saying that since I watched him at Arizona.  

He did have an amazing run and I'm not putting him in elite category just yet either, but I also don't think his performance in the playoffs was a fluke of any kind.  If he goes to a team that will let him be the guy, I fully expect him to pick up where he left off and he could work his way into that elite status in time.

2 hours ago, J@son said:

So you're going to base his entire career on 2 games?  How about you actually look at his entire career. He had the Eagles as the #1 seed just a few years ago.  They were looking like the team to beat in the entire league...and that was while running Chip Kelly's offense, an offense that NO ONE thought he was a good fit for.  

Steve Young, Brett Favre, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers....guys who were all backups when they started out their careers.  

The Rams and Chiefs don't agree with your assessment. Comparing Foles with Farve, Young, Brady and Rogers??!!

Just now, King Colt said:

The Rams and Chiefs don't agree with your assessment. Comparing Foles with Farve, Young, Brady and Rogers??!!

Never use the Rams from that time period to try to make any type of point.  They were a dumpster fire at the time.  The Chiefs already had Alex Smith who had already been starting for them for 3 years by that point so he had 3 years of experience in the system and they were winning.  

And please...you know I was only comparing Foles to the others to prove a point that just because he's a back up right now does not mean he's destined to be a career backup.  You can't just look at a guy and say "well he's a backup so he'll always be a backup."  

1 hour ago, J@son said:

I dont' care about any of those numbers because he's never had the chance to play a full 16 game season.  The one time he almost did but got hurt he was well on his way to blowing past both of those numbers.  Plus, come on, you're being a bit pedantic using those numbers.  He was close to both in 2013 and he missed 3 games. :P

He is the real deal...but I've been saying that since I watched him at Arizona.  

He did have an amazing run and I'm not putting him in elite category just yet either, but I also don't think his performance in the playoffs was a fluke of any kind.  If he goes to a team that will let him be the guy, I fully expect him to pick up where he left off and he could work his way into that elite status in time.

His run has been very impressive, and he had his exceptional season in Philly where he threw for 27 TDs and 2 INTs.  I'm not saying he's bad or anything like that.  He's just on a hot streak now.  If he can maintain a high level of play for several years, then we put him in the elite category.  But to call him elite now is premature

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

His run has been very impressive, and he had his exceptional season in Philly where he threw for 27 TDs and 2 INTs.  I'm not saying he's bad or anything like that.  He's just on a hot streak now.  If he can maintain a high level of play for several years, then we put him in the elite category.  But to call him elite now is premature

totally agree

One reason Foles ripped it up yesterday was his coaches went in with zero fear. Some of the gutsiest if not down right crazy play calling seen in a SB ever. Reminds me of the line from Patton, " If we don't come back victorious then let no man come back alive." You could tell early on despite NE's record of winning the Eagles were taking it to the wire at all costs. Amazing neither team had a defense. 

7 hours ago, Dustin said:

what ever happened to players just going on hot streaks? He had two pretty good playoff games but let's not make it anything more than what it actually is. 

well there's also many games from 2013, a few I'm sure from 2012 and 2014 plus a few good games in 2016 with KC.  

20 hours ago, J@son said:

well there's also many games from 2013, a few I'm sure from 2012 and 2014 plus a few good games in 2016 with KC.  

So you're saying Nick Foles is elite? Because if you're not I don't understand what your response to.me is trying to say. That Nick Foles has had good games? I already know that.

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

So you're saying Nick Foles is elite?

Did I say that?

Because if you're not I don't understand what your response to.me is trying to say. That Nick Foles has had good games? I already know that.

YOU said:

"He had two pretty good playoff games"

My point was he's had far more pretty good games than just these most recent 2 playoff games.

1 hour ago, J@son said:

Did I say that?

YOU said:

"He had two pretty good playoff games"

My point was he's had far more pretty good games than just these most recent 2 playoff games.

Okay thanks for pointing that out for me.