Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Jags really need a new QB?

Mel Kiper's Hair

It seems like all season long the media, fans, other NFL players have done nothing but badmouth Blake Bortles and make him sound like the worst QB in the NFL. I don't follow football as closely as others do here but just doing a little research and it appears to me that Jacksonville really doesn't need to break the bank and go after Kirk Cousins to win the Super Bowl. Jacksonville has an amazing defense and Bortles is a good enough QB to lead them to the Super Bowl. His stats this year compare as well as or better than Trent Dilfer in 2000, Brad Johnson in 2002, Doug Williams in 1987,Joe Flacco in 2012, and even Eli Manning in 2007. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he is Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Joe Montana, but I am saying that he is more than adequate enough to lead the Jags to a title. 

Great topic!!

I agree 100% that Jax has an incredible defense.

IMO, however, it is virtually impossible for a defense to maintain that level of play...just ask the Ravens, NY Jest, Broncos as a few recent "dominant" defenses.  A few reasons for this are roster turnover, injuries, scouting/film availability, etc....

While I don't necessarily think a change at QB is needed, Jax needs to do something with their offense to take some of the pressure OFF their defense.  After the Broncos won SB50, their defense was positioned to dominate for a few more years, but eventually, an impotent offense has taken the franchise downhill in a very bad way & John Elway looks like a fool all of a sudden (because his offense is SO bad).

In this pass friendly era, PIs and unnecessary roughness penalties prevail. When the Ravens beat the Patriots in Foxboro in 2012, Joe Flacco kept scoring on them to put the pressure on. Plus, they let the DBs hold. Ravens' Reed, Pollard etc. pushed the envelope and got away with more. 

I swear, in 2012 the Ravens DBs held a lot with fewer calls. 2013 - the Seahawks held a lot with fewer calls. 2014 - Browner, if not Revis, held a lot and got fewer holding or PI calls. 2015 - Broncos DBs got away with a lot.

To be honest, 2016 is truly when I saw it change significantly in the playoffs, IMO. 3rd and 10-15 plus vs Falcons, a holding penalty gave the Patriots 3 consecutive first downs. Not just that game, several games I am noticing a change since 2016.

So, if that is going to be the case, the QB will have plenty of leeway to make plays since drives will continue. Bortles should not have had that delay of game penalty, Bortles should have been able to put it over the shoulder of his RB to lead him past the LB he had already beat. Bortles should be able to audible to different plays seeing that the Patriots were run blitzing more often. The problem is, the Jaguars coaches were not confident enough to let him do so. Don't go just by the stats. If the coaches have to call plays to protect the QB, that is a big problem, IMO, and that is how I felt they called plays in the second half of the AFCCG. 

No D can play press all the time and sustain it without some zone thrown in, especially if the O will not sustain drives as the game goes on. If you have to protect him and not let him play, it may very well not be Bortles' fault but it does speak to the fact that you do not fully believe in him. That is why Bortles should go, if I am a Jaguars fan.

As a Colts fan, keep the guy. :) 

22 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

It seems like all season long the media, fans, other NFL players have done nothing but badmouth Blake Bortles and make him sound like the worst QB in the NFL. I don't follow football as closely as others do here but just doing a little research and it appears to me that Jacksonville really doesn't need to break the bank and go after Kirk Cousins to win the Super Bowl. Jacksonville has an amazing defense and Bortles is a good enough QB to lead them to the Super Bowl. His stats this year compare as well as or better than Trent Dilfer in 2000, Brad Johnson in 2002, Doug Williams in 1987,Joe Flacco in 2012, and even Eli Manning in 2007. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he is Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Joe Montana, but I am saying that he is more than adequate enough to lead the Jags to a title. 

I think Blake is fine, just needs a little more consistency. I'd say he's better than Dilfer, Johnson, and 2015 Manning. He'd be the hero of the Jags if they stopped rushing Fournette into a pile and stopped throwing to number 30. They literally handcuffed him in the second half of the AFC championship game

3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Don't forget the animosity that can develop when one side consistently does not pull their weight. It can get very venomous and self destructive. Bortles needs to go and there is more than one good QBs on the trade market right now. 

As a Colts fan if you think Bortles is no good why do you  think they need a better QB?  Wouldn't that make them better?

It is apparent Bortles has been playing injured since 2016. He has had his wrist repaired so we will see.

Just out of curiosity why do care about the Jags?

I see Bortles as a 6.5 out of 10. In comparison, Rogers, Brady and Brees are 10's, while Roethlisburger is a 9.

So if the Jags want to improve, they need to find someone that is a 7 or better. I think it's unlikely they find a better replacement at this point, especially since Bortles has shown some improvement. Cousins is a 7 so there is a possibility there.

2 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I see Bortles as a 6.5 out of 10. In comparison, Rogers, Brady and Brees are 10's, while Roethlisburger is a 9.

So if the Jags want to improve, they need to find someone that is a 7 or better. I think it's unlikely they find a better replacement at this point, especially since Bortles has shown some improvement. Cousins is a 7 so there is a possibility there.

I agree with your rankings pretty much, Bortles proved he doesn't suck this past season but he's still no better than a 6/6.5. Alex Smith for example is probably a 7, I put Cousins at a 7.5 but I would almost bet after making the Title Game the Jags stick with Bortles and I can see Cousins in Denver.

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

As a Colts fan if you think Bortles is no good why do you  think they need a better QB?  Wouldn't that make them better?

It is apparent Bortles has been playing injured since 2016. He has had his wrist repaired so we will see.

Prolly cause he's answering the question that was asked in this topic? Just a guess 

22 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

As a Colts fan I wish they still had Blaine Gabbert as QB. As a fan of the NFL in general, I was just amazed at the complete lack of respect shown to Bortles and I wanted to see if was warranted or not. Once I looked at the stats, I saw that he wasn't as god-awful as he has been made out to be. 

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yes they should when forced to throw the ball to win games Blake can't get it done he can run good for a QB but other than short to medium range passes out of play action he really isn't very good. They don't need a great QB like Luck or Rodgers but they need a good QB.

Who cares? It's the Jags.

I hope wherever Kirk goes I hope he blows the league up and wins MVP as much as everyone craps on him. He's had great years playing for one of the most dysfunctional teams in the NFL with an actual O line and WRs with a average D he could be very good. Not only did he beat out the golden child RG3 he got his butt shipped out of DC

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I hope wherever Kirk goes I hope he blows the league up and wins MVP as much as everyone craps on him. He's had great years playing for one of the most dysfunctional teams in the NFL with an actual O line and WRs with a average D he could be very good. Not only did he beat out the golden child RG3 he got his butt shipped out of DC

If he ends up in Denver, Denver may win that Division.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As long as they don't get Cousins it's all good because Cousins is better.

So true! it would be very tough on the division and the AFC

I like him always have he was a favorite of mine at MSU. I've been following him since he was drafted.

1 hour ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I think that Bortle's cap hit being over 20 million may result in the Jags releasing him solely for that reason.  With that being said, its entirely possible that 10-12 teams have new QBs going into next year.

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Then why are you in this topic? We are all answering the question that was asked you seem lost. Nobody said they hope they get a great QB we said yes bortles needs replaced big difference.

It just happens I don't think Bortles needs replaced. He has been injured all year. He just has surgery to repair his wrist. Maybe if those who think Bortles is no good would do a little research you would be informed.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It just happens I don't think Bortles needs replaced. He has been injured all year. He just has surgery to repair his wrist. Maybe if those who think Bortles is no good would do a little research you would be informed.

Lol now everyone is uninformed you come here and attack others for answering a simple question now you wanna say they are all uninformed got ya 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Everyone?? Nah, just you. But carry on wit your normal self.

Umm no pretty sure 90% of the people are doing exactly what I said and that is answering the simple question being asked. I'm not the only one that gave the OP an answer. You're like the only one that didn't have a clue and was wondering why people were answering.

Blake is only 25years old.  I think he's starting to improve his play to be honest. Those 40 plus points they put up on the Steelers was done with Blake at the QB.

He's showing signs of improvement if you ask me.   I think they should probably stay with Blake and maybe bring in some strong competition.  Maybe Kaepernick, Mike Glennon or somebody else who can put some pressure on him to stay on the upward trend.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Blake is only 25years old.  I think he's starting to improve his play to be honest. Those 40 plus points they put up on the Steelers was done with Blake at the QB.

He's showing signs of improvement if you ask me.   I think they should probably stay with Blake and maybe bring in some strong competition.  Maybe Kaepernick, Mike Glennon or somebody else who can put some pressure on him to stay on the upward trend.

And the loss to the Pats was primarily because the Jags offense couldn't move the ball in the 2nd half.  

QB is their weak point right now.  

22 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

And the loss to the Pats was primarily because the Jags offense couldn't move the ball in the 2nd half.  

QB is their weak point right now.  

Like we haven't seen that before from other teams against New England.   You know teams like the Colts but that didnt mean the QB needed to be changed.  At least Blake didn't single handedly blow the game on his own. He took care of the football and the game was very winnable even in the late 4th quarter.   Andrew certainly has played worse games on that stage.    I also blame a lot of that on theJags coordinators who mysteriously stopped taking advantange of the short passing game to #30 who was killing them with his speed. Despite the Pats selling out against the run they seemed comfortable running Fournette into a wall of defenders. 

Kirk Cousins really hasn't done jack to show he'd be any better in that situation.   He hasn't even been able to guide his team to even one playoff game that I can recall.  And I think that's probably why they ultimately got rid of him.   Changed him out for a QB who has proven he can at least get them to the playoffs consistently.

10 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Yes. See 2nd half of AFC championship game. Patriots were daring the jags to throw the ball and the jags were a tad hesitant.

Bortles had an injury to his throwing wrist the whole year. I would imagine that had a lot to do with his accuracy.

He just had the surgery to repair that issue and the Jags are going to wait it out. They have already said he is going to be the starter next season so this talk is exactly that, just talk.

5 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Umm no pretty sure 90% of the people are doing exactly what I said and that is answering the simple question being asked. I'm not the only one that gave the OP an answer. You're like the only one that didn't have a clue and was wondering why people were answering.

So why hasn't those 90% even mentioned his wrist injury and how it effects his throwing?

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

So why hasn't those 90% even mentioned his wrist injury and how it effects his throwing?

Prolly cause none of them give a crap since he has sucked every year of his career. Its crazy that almost everyone in the thread says he needs replaced besides you and like 2 other people 

16 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Prolly cause none of them give a crap since he has sucked every year of his career. Its crazy that almost everyone in the thread says he needs replaced besides you and like 2 other people 

2015- 4,428 yds - 35 tds,- 18 ints - 88.2 rating

2016- 3,905 yds - 23 Tds - 16 ints - 78.8 rating

2017- 3,687 tds - 21 tds - 13 - ints - 84.7 rating

He has also rushed for over 300 yds each season he has played with 7 Tds

These numbers are not bad by any means. He does not need to be replaced.

21 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

2015- 4,428 yds - 35 tds,- 18 ints - 88.2 rating

2016- 3,905 yds - 23 Tds - 16 ints - 78.8 rating

2017- 3,687 tds - 21 tds - 13 - ints - 84.7 rating

He has also rushed for over 300 yds each season he has played with 7 Tds

These numbers are not bad by any means. He does not need to be replaced.

He's a QB not a RB when he is forced to win a game with his arm he will fail 

12 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He's a QB not a RB when he is forced to win a game with his arm he will fail 

Nah, he only got them a 10-6 record this year and made the AFC championship game, that's all. Oh, by the way that was with an injured throwing wrist all year. But don't let those facts get in your way of thinking he needs replaced.

We will see because he will be the starter for the Jags next season, not Cousins.

IMO Cousins will be the starter for Arizona next season.

59 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Bortles had an injury to his throwing wrist the whole year. I would imagine that had a lot to do with his accuracy.

He just had the surgery to repair that issue and the Jags are going to wait it out. They have already said he is going to be the starter next season so this talk is exactly that, just talk.

Yes, it's talk. We talk about football on this forum.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Yes that is true but talking about Bortles leaving the Jags and Cousins being their next QB is blowing wind.

We all know Bortles isn't leaving. That doesn't change the fact I think they need another QB to get to the promised land.