Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How does McDaniels win over the fan base?

ColtJ82

Given his past failures and the fact that he is a long-time Patriot, there is definite skepticism among fans? What will win you over and allow you to embrace him? 

I believe he is the absolute right hire among the candidates and I am excited. Dungy was embraced, as well as Pagano. However, Jim Caldwell never really captured the fans. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a trick question? Win a superbowl.

4 minutes ago, ColtJ82 said:

Given his past failures and the fact that he is a long-time Patriot, there is definite skepticism among fans? What will win you over and allow you to embrace him? 

I believe he is the absolute right hire among the candidates and I am excited. Dungy was embraced, as well as Pagano. However, Jim Caldwell never really captured the fans. 

I need honesty, and integrity....and good coaching.........(for me) "he was the best candidate available", so I understand the hire, I just don't like that "he was the best candidate available"....his involvement in filming with the Pats, his 1.5 year debacle in Denver.....I believe people can grow and overcome, but that proof comes with time for me....and hence the honesty and integrity.........and the good coaching, I don't think there is a Colt fan worth his salt that needs that explained....that's just my 2 centavos

Ignoring the obvious cop out of 'winning', I'll feel more confident in mcdaniels the better his interactions with players go. We'll probably see lots of interviews of players during OTAs, mini camps and training camps with reporters asking questions with regards to his handling of the team. If it seems players are buying in, that'll be huge to believing McDaniels will bring this team to glory.

I'm already confident in his ability to conduct the game planning and scheming aspect. I mean, he did that pretty well at times in Denver, even though pretty much the entire state hated his guts.

12 minutes ago, ColtJ82 said:

Win!

9 minutes ago, crunked said:

I need honesty, and integrity....and good coaching.........(for me) "he was the best candidate available", so I understand the hire, I just don't like that "he was the best candidate available"....his involvement in filming with the Pats, his 1.5 year debacle in Denver.....I believe people can grow and overcome, but that proof comes with time for me....and hence the honesty and integrity.........and the good coaching, I don't think there is a Colt fan worth his salt that needs that explained....that's just my 2 centavos

Took the words right out of my fingers.

What will it take for Josh to gain my confidence? That'a essentially what you're asking me right CJ82? 

Well, I've covered this in other threads, but I can give the Reader's Digest version...

--Speed up Luck's reads & ball release mechanism

--Don't be smug & condescending to reporters at weekly press conferences

--Remember, nobody in INDY cares how many rings you won as a NE coordinator hit the reset button

--Perfect halftime adjustments & make false start penalties almost non existent. This is huge to me. 

--Must be supervised around video & camera equipment at all times. LOL! I couldn't resist that one. 

--Make sure that we generate touchdowns not field goals in the red zone

--Give me a sense of what your Denver experience taught you & how it translates to success here

--Show me that you can help INDY get past NE & Pittsburgh 2 barriers to SB aspirations for us

--Integrity sounds good but just get Luck back in the mix & not squander his franchise yrs anymore. 

--I want rings plural screw wholesomeness & warm & fuzzy feelings. Just being honest...

Win but not only Win. Win big don't settle for close games but instead have an attacking offense that puts lots of points on the board early and often then continue that throughout the game. Don't step off that gas pedal to the end zone. This will in return let our defense play fast hungry and aggressive. 

7 hours ago, ColtJ82 said:

I’m already sold, but I’m assuming a 2-0 start would win people over pretty quick.

9 hours ago, crunked said:

I have a theory and it has proven to be true in my travels to many Colts away games, in my time as a Colts season ticket holder and a frequent visitor to this and other message boards.  That theory is that all fan bases are essentially the same.  There are good ones, less than knowledgeable ones, ones who think ESPN is out for them, and over the top arrogance from pretty much fans of every team.  There really are not any exceptions to this.

I say that as it relates to your point and this thread in general.  If Bill Belichick brought his winning ways to Indy and all that comes with that winning - the cheating accusations (warranted and otherwise), the grumpy demeanor, the less than openness of the organization - do people really believe he and the team would not be completely embraced by the city and its fans?  I 100% believe that they would be. I get the Midwestern values thing but to a very large extent, I think winning trumps all that. 

To the thread - I don't care that McDaniels comes from the Evil Empire and learned his trade under Darth Vader.  I prefer it actually.  All that he needs to do is win and all will be good.

Caldwell was an amazing coach being able to lead a team to a Superbowl his first year as head coach speaks volumes. So i do not blame him for the low record he suffered the following year during Manning's injury because we all know painter was not a franchise QB. That being said i also do not blame McDaniel's for his low records in Denver because he too did not have a franchise QB. I mean just think if Denver would have signed Manning during the time Mcdaniel's was still there could you imagine how many Superbowl's they could have won together?:peek:

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

I have a theory and it has proven to be true in my travels to many Colts away games, in my time as a Colts season ticket holder and a frequent visitor to this and other message boards.  That theory is that all fan bases are essentially the same.  There are good ones, less than knowledgeable ones, ones who think ESPN is out for them, and over the top arrogance from pretty much fans of every team.  There really are not any exceptions to this.

I say that as it relates to your point and this thread in general.  If Bill Belichick brought his winning ways to Indy and all that comes with that winning - the cheating accusations (warranted and otherwise), the grumpy demeanor, the less than openness of the organization - do people really believe he and the team would not be completely embraced by the city and its fans?  I 100% believe that they would be. I get the Midwestern values thing but to a very large extent, I think winning trumps all that. 

To the thread - I don't care that McDaniels comes from the Evil Empire and learned his trade under Darth Vader.  I prefer it actually.  All that he needs to do is win and all will be good.

I think your take on fan base demographics is spot on, its true in anything in life really. One of my mantras when one of my supervisors come to me wanting a shiny fancy tool has always been, "That tool only works as good as the dumbest guy holding it" .....but back to your point, I think some fans will be ok with the darth vader of it all.....and yeah, integrity CAN be subjective in the big picture....but that's why I prefaced my comments (for me) because just win will be fine for me but if your asking me what I WANT, well I WANT both winning and integrity, I don't expect I will get both but that's what I WANT.

As mentioned through this thread, McD needs to WIN.Period.

Given the wide-ranging skepticism which exists amongst Colts fans, the ONLY way to win them over is by WINNING.

My opinion is based on what I saw take place when BB came to NE as "Head Coach".  Given his past (in CLE & his departure as "HC of the NYJ", the fact that "Parcells was god" & many attributed BB's success to Parcells...many Pats fans & media were very skeptical of BB...EVEN AFTER HE HAD WON SB36!!  Here is an excerpt & a link to an article about the situation.  Please note the date of the article & references....

https://bostonsportsmedia.com/2005/04/27/bill-belichick-and-the-new-england-media/

When Bill Belichick resigned as “HC of the NYJ” after being appointed Bill Parcells’ successor, the Patriots didnt wait long to express their interest in him to take over their team. After some protracted negotiations with Parcells (a media favorite in New England) and the Jets, Patriots owner Bob Kraft eventually worked out a compensation package which allowed Belichick to take become the head coach of the team. Right around this time, certain media members started taking some shots at Belichick, likely because of his perceived disloyalty to the esteemed Parcells. Kevin Mannix of the Boston Herald infamously labeled Belichick “duplicitous pond scum” and a nighttime radio host on sports radio WEEI was also very vocal in his opposition to Belichick’s hiring, calling him “a despicable human being” (for which he later apologized). Michael Holley, then of the Globe, and a native of Ohio, also wrote a very negative article on the new coach. (Holley of course would later go on to write “Patriot Reign”)

Why the vitriol for someone who had just arrived in town? In addition to having crossed Parcells, who still can do no wrong in the eyes of many, there were still lingering stories among the media about Belichick’s tenure as head coach of the Cleveland Browns. The Cleveland media were only too happy to tell stories of Belichick as having been aloof, uncooperative and uncommunicative while having had to deal with him. To this day in fact, many of those Cleveland writers still sneer when his name is brought up. It would appear that many of the Boston writers were influenced by their Cleveland colleagues.

While the circumstances are not exactly the same with McD, there is a negative perception of him in Indy (by some media & fans).  None of this will go away until McD wins big.  Until then, there will be "haters" and they will use every opportunity to paint McD in a negative light.

"Winning cures all"

Edited by Reality Check
added "winning cures all"

I am quite confident that if he has a list of top 10 things to accomplish, winning fans over is not on the list. 

As soon as he represents the horseshoe, he has won me over. Why? Because I believe in my team. That means I believe in the men already here. They have chosen him. Prove it to me attitude is fine for anyone who needs that approach. But no matter how far the Colts go, and what they accomplish, the greatest joy will always come from the deepest belief.

All is good and exciting in my Colt world. Here.....we......go!

13 hours ago, ColtJ82 said:

win 5 superbowls with Luck.... and even then, someone will cry about his time in Denver

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

I am quite confident that if he has a list of top 10 things to accomplish, winning fans over is not on the list. 

I'm sure that its not at the top of his list, but lets face it, after what happened in Denver, where the entire state was mad at him, Id say its on his list somewhere.