Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

FOX signs up for Thursday night

oldunclemark

I'm seeing where the FOX Network has signed with the NFL to carry Thursday night games the next 5 years beginning in 2018.

$600,000,000 per year. So FOX obviously doesn't believe fan interest in the NFL going down.

There wont be any ending of Thursday play.  None of you probably thought there would be. .

Its the way it is and its all good. The NFL needs to make that money and the players obviously share in it.

So the grumbling and complaining will continue but the Thursday games will continue as well and players and owners will both cash those checks.

Edited by oldunclemark

Which part of Fox is buying the rights to the Thursday games?  Is it the part Disney is buying if the buyout is approved or is it part of the 'Sports Package' that will remain separate from the Disney deal.

It makes sense if they plan on airing the games on Fox Sports, because having live NFL games will help them compete with ESPN.

9 hours ago, Reality Check said:

Thank you Edgar!  I am sure the Hallmark channel is more exciting than watching the Colts & Texans battle it out in bright, colorful, costumes on a Thursday night....

Hoping you're being sarcastic.   Otherwise you suck as a Colts fan. And a football fan in general.   And you make the list for one of my hated posters. 

Hope im wrong.   Please clarify 

never mind. I think wee one the same page 

On 2/1/2018 at 6:04 PM, Coltfreak said:

Then switch to the Hallmark channel Nancy

ive switched off many tnfs my self.  lots of bad football has been played on thursday night and its a time when i would usually either be going out or going to bed

the players have blasted it every chance they get too

13 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

Oh gawd, FOX's presentation of NFL football is as ridiculous and amateurish as it comes. Their studio is full of washed up buffoons, and their on screen graphics look like they belong on a show created for toddlers 

Not arguing about FOX but which network's presentation doesn't have a studio full of 'washed up buffoons'?

7 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

But the money is really, really good.....

Yes this is true but how long till the money tree quits producing leaves?  When the advertisers start losing money by loss of viewership the huge TV contracts will get smaller and smaller thru time.

38 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes this is true but how long till the money tree quits producing leaves?  When the advertisers start losing money by loss of viewership the huge TV contracts will get smaller and smaller thru time.

And that's one possible future.

But FOX is betting...$600 mil per year for 5 years that winning the ratings battle on Thursday night is worth it.

the contracts haven't gotten smaller yet

15 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

And that's one possible future.

But FOX is betting...$600 mil per year for 5 years that winning the ratings battle on Thursday night is worth it.

the contracts haven't gotten smaller yet

What is 600 mil a year when Disney has thrown 52.4 billion at them?

On 2/3/2018 at 5:56 AM, shakedownstreet said:

Oh gawd, FOX's presentation of NFL football is as ridiculous and amateurish as it comes. Their studio is full of washed up buffoons, and their on screen graphics look like they belong on a show created for toddlers 

terry-bradshaw.001161174.jpg

5 hours ago, our_dbs_rock said:

What is 600 mil a year when Disney has thrown 52.4 billion at them?

$600 mil for one game a week for 12 weeks is quite a bit.

The argument that the NFL is in decline isn't supported by this new deal.

FOX had no reason to bid on a product in decline. They must think its a bargain for them, right?

Edited by oldunclemark

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

$600 mil for one game a week for 12 weeks is quite a bit.

The argument that the NFL is in decline isn't supported by this new deal.

FOX had no reason to bid on a product in decline. They must think its a bargain for them, right?

Part of the deal between Fox and Disney, is Fox is keeping their news and some sports stations I believe.  If they intend to air these games on FS1, then it would give them a reason to overpay in order to be competitive with Espn since they have the Monday games.  Also, I think CBS had pretty solid ratings even with boring games.

But if it is Foxs intent to air these games on the main network, then I'm not sure. The ratings would prolly be higher than any other reality show or scripted show they could put in that time slot, but at a much higher cost.  But even if the ratings are declining, prime time NFL still blows most shows out of the water by a large margin.

On 2/1/2018 at 5:46 AM, oldunclemark said:

I'm seeing where the FOX Network has signed with the NFL to carry Thursday night games the next 5 years beginning in 2018.

$600,000,000 per year. So FOX obviously doesn't believe fan interest in the NFL going down.

There wont be any ending of Thursday play.  None of you probably thought there would be. .

Its the way it is and its all good. The NFL needs to make that money and the players obviously share in it.

So the grumbling and complaining will continue but the Thursday games will continue as well and players and owners will both cash those checks.

Sorry to be late joining this conversation....

Fox knows fan interest is down.    The numbers are pretty black and white...

BUT....

Its a relative thing...   while numbers are down they're still good compared with other options.   Networks believe in the power of the NFL...    and even with somewhat soft ratings buyers are still getting a lot of bang for their buck.

I have no idea how long this will continue...   no idea at what point networks and advertisers would want to take their money elsewhere...?    But for now the NFL remains king..    

The NBA and MLB are doing well as well.