Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alex Smith Officially Traded to Washington Redskins [Merge]

LucasOilStadium

6 hours ago, Finball said:

Bortles has/had wrist surgery. His 5th year option is guaranteed for injury. Either they keep him or trade him.

Unless he is medically cleared before 3/14/18. Then he can be cut without being on the hook for 19 million in 2018. Otherwise, Bortles and his 19 million dollar cap hit, are the Jags... in full.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, MTC said:

Need to see what the Redskins are trading away before I can comment on this deal, but Alex Smith is such a downgrade from Kirk Cousins.

The only thing they gained is that Smith doesn't turn the ball over near as much but the downside here is Kirk is still young while Smith is 32 soon to be 33.

23 hours ago, Indeee said:

Out of these 3 it won't matter if it's a bidding war. Cousins will go to Minny for less for all the reasons I posted above.

23 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

If I'm Cousins, if Minnesota can give me a relatively decent deal I'm inking the contract on the first minute of free agency.

Think about it if you are already going to be getting a 20+ million dollar deal, are you going to go get the crap beat out of you and lose a ton in Cleaveland or New York for a couple extra million?  Or are you going to go to the team that made the NFC Championship game riding Case Keenum.  

While Cousins may be a better QB than our free agent QBs (Bridgewater, Bradford and Keenum) and I like him more than most fans do, I don't want the Vikings to sign Cousins for what he is expected to receive. He is expected to sign for more than $25 million. We can't afford that, as we have core players that are coming up for contract extensions this year (Barr, Kendricks, Diggs, D. Hunter, and possibly Waynes). We like to extend our core players before they reach free agency. We have only $56 million in cap space.  With that, we also have to sign at least one offensive lineman and re-sign one or two of our current free agents.

I would like the Vikes to re-sign Teddy to a modest deal ($10-$12 million per year for 2 or so years) if he is well enough to start. He won't command too much from other teams, given the injury. If he plays well, we can re-do his contract. If he is damaged goods, I would like the Vikes to draft a QB and sign/trade for a less pricey veteran QB. 

12 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Unless he is medically cleared before 3/14/18. Then he can be cut without being on the hook for 19 million in 2018. Otherwise, Bortles and his 19 million dollar cap hit, are the Jags... in full.

i wonder if they could possibly get cousins with BB still there too

it would be a lot of money in the QB position for one year, but they are close to a super bowl.  it might be worth a try 

they could get creative with contracts too, maybe by back loading cousin's

9 hours ago, King Colt said:

The Texan's Watson did just fine and Mahomes should prove worthy of the job. He reeks with talent. 

You think Mahomes is anywhere near as good as Watson.

I'm just asking. I dont know. I have seen Mahomes play a total of one game

Watson played a lot of playoff games in college..

Isnt Mahomes more Mitch Trubisky than Deshaun Watson?

Edited by oldunclemark

12 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

The only thing they gained is that Smith doesn't turn the ball over near as much but the downside here is Kirk is still young while Smith is 32 soon to be 33.

That's what got me,  James....

They signed Alex Smith up at big time cash well into his late 30s...

and I think its fair to say that Alex wont have the offensive players around him in DC that he did in KC. 

But clearly the 'Skins just did not really like Kirk Cousins.

From a Colts standpoint I'm glad to see KC ship out their vet QB for an unproven.

But if Cousins gets to Denver..and they can use their No.1 pick (5 overall) in the O-line or for a new young receiver, the Broncos obviously get a lot better quickly.

Edited by oldunclemark

14 hours ago, southwest1 said:

God, I hope you are a prophet BCF1. I certainly have no desire to face "you like that" in a Florida uniform inside our division. Forget that. Actually, Cousins to Denver makes sense, since Mile High's defense is still really good & their remaining QBs are nothing to fear at all. 

Please, please, please John Elway sign Kirk. I'd really like that personally. 

I honestly think it will be Denver and if not Denver, Minnesota. I don't think Jax will get him.  Now next year, the Jags could move on from  Bortles, but I am not sure who will be available, you never know.  We don't want to see the Jags get a good QB though, that's for sure!

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

You think Mahomes is anywhere near as good as Watson.

I'm just asking. I dont know. I have seen Mahomes play a total of one game

Watson played a lot of playoff games in college..

Isnt Mahomes more Mitch Trubisky than Deshaun Watson?

All I m saying is it worked for one guy so only time will tell.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

That's what got me,  James....

They signed Alex Smith up at big time cash well into his late 30s...

and I think its fair to say that Alex wont have the offensive players around him in DC that he did in KC. 

But clearly the 'Skins just did not really like Kirk Cousins.

From a Colts standpoint I'm glad to see KC ship out their vet QB for an unproven.

But if Cousins gets to Denver..and they can use their No.1 pick (5 overall) in the O-line or for a new young receiver, the Broncos obviously get a lot better quickly.

I agree 100% I would have paid kirk and surrounded him with better talent.

On 2/1/2018 at 7:28 AM, NFLfan said:

While Cousins may be a better QB than our free agent QBs (Bridgewater, Bradford and Keenum) and I like him more than most fans do, I don't want the Vikings to sign Cousins for what he is expected to receive. He is expected to sign for more than $25 million. We can't afford that, as we have core players that are coming up for contract extensions this year (Barr, Kendricks, Diggs, D. Hunter, and possibly Waynes). We like to extend our core players before they reach free agency. We have only $56 million in cap space.  With that, we also have to sign at least one offensive lineman and re-sign one or two of our current free agents.

I would like the Vikes to re-sign Teddy to a modest deal ($10-$12 million per year for 2 or so years) if he is well enough to start. He won't command too much from other teams, given the injury. If he plays well, we can re-do his contract. If he is damaged goods, I would like the Vikes to draft a QB and sign/trade for a less pricey veteran QB. 

It's a risk but he's a proven QB who's good enough to be a franchise QB that is hitting FA and has no injury question marks.  That doesn't happen very often.  

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:28 AM, NFLfan said:

Just reported, Cousins favors Minny-Soda, as I predicted... Cha-Ching

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

There is a possibility that Washington could franchise tag him and then force a sign and trade scenerio. Anything can still happen.

Yep, Schefter reported that. However that is very risky. This would be the 3rd consecutive year that he is franchise tagged and therefore, his 2018 salary would be $34.5 million. His new team would certainly re-negotiate a longer contract to lower that number, but what if there are no takers?  Washington must believe there are enough suitors to make a trade happen. 

Some have said that there really is no risk to franchise tagging him, as that could be rescinded if they cannot find a trade partner. I am not sure if that is accurate.

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Yep, Schefter reported that. However that is very risky. This would be the 3rd consecutive year that he is franchise tagged and therefore, his 2018 salary would be $34.5 million. His new team would certainly re-negotiate a longer contract to lower that number, but what if there are no takers?  Washington must believe there are enough suitors to make a trade happen. 

Some have said that there really is no risk to franchise tagging him, as that could be rescinded if they cannot find a trade partner. I am not sure if that is accurate.

It just ties up their money in FA. That said somebody will give them a second or something to negotiate with him.