Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wharton: Colts-Ansah link will be big if he hits the market

I remember when Ansah ran 85 yards down the field to chase down Adrian Peterson and was able to stop Peterson from scoring a Touchdown.

A guy who hustles like that and possesses that must speed would be worth paying a little extra for. He's definitely someone Ballard would want to add to this roster.

Chubb, Ansah, Simon, and Sheard would be a scary rotation to have.

10 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

Signing him would definitely increase the Barkley at 3 speculation.

Not necessarily, Ansah will be 29, still need a long term pass rusher. I'd still go Chubb and have an elite pass rush unit. That opens up a lot of things you can do on defense.

Only way to get top free agents is to overpay it's the nature of the beast..By the time his contract and norwell's expire, hopefully our draft picks develop into quality replacements...Would rather overpay and increase the speed and likelihood of contending, then just sit on the money and sign less impactful guys.. We can afford to pay a couple guys and still build through the draft at same time...

Ansah is one of the best DEs in the game when healthy. He’s an athletic freak who was double teamed quite a bit in Detroit. Remember, he ran a 4.56 40 at the combine without even training for the 40. In a division with Desean Watson and Mariota we need a guy like Ziggy to contain them.

norwell, Ansah, and AR would be great FA additions. If we did sign them we’d still have more money than half the league. 

7 hours ago, KING. said:

Ansah or Chubb? Why not both!

I think if we got Ansah and Norwell in this offseason, I would be 100% comfortable taking Barkley. I would then try to gauge where an Arden Key might be and go get him in the 2nd round or if it was going to be a pick in the bottom of the 1st rd, trade up into the late 20's. The really nice thing for this offseason is the team has so much open to them. They have high draft pick status, they have lots of cap money and they hopefully already their elite QB that comes back 100% healthy. 

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's more buzz on Colts and Ansah connection:

If this is true...could very well mean Colts are looking to plug edge rusher role before draft in order to take Barkley..This is quickest route to success and contention..

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

If this is true...could very well mean Colts are looking to plug edge rusher role before draft in order to take Barkley..This is quickest route to success and contention..

While I think it would be a welcome addition to the team I find the rumor unfounded Patrica is there new coach no way he'd let one of there best defenders walk. Big IF here but IF the colts can get Ansah you still take Chubb it would add more depth to the line we'd be in sub packages most of the time anyway. I hope CB continues to build and fortify the trenches you don't get to where the Eagles are right now without building the trenches Chubb could have a Fletcher Cox like impact here.

2 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

I think you're right.  I just listened to the Ballard interview at the Senior Bowl that was posted on another thread.  He said he likes to use FA to plug holes where there is a need so he doesn't feel like they have to reach in the draft.  Getting Ansah would solve a big need and most people don't think RB is as big a need.  Ballard could then take Barkley(BPA) and not have to worry about a hole at ER.  Also if it's out there that we will pursue Ansah hard you can bet he and his agent are also well aware of that fact.  I guess the wink wink tampering period has begun. 

6 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

I'm shocked you would take this angle.

3 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

I heard that Barkley is so good he can actually walk on water. 

Ansah is coming into his prime and is better than CHUBB, right now most likely, usually it take pass rushers time to develop, if they even do...Barkley is the Andrew Luck of RB's...Barkley will make us dangerous this year..More than 1 way to win...I'm not even sure Chubb will turn out to be best pass rusher in draft..If we go defense in 1st , I like Edmunds and Fitzpatrick better in a trade back... 

7 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Ansah is coming into his prime and is better than CHUBB, right now most likely, usually it take pass rushers time to develop, if they even do...Barkley is the Andrew Luck of RB's...Barkley will make us dangerous this year..More than 1 way to win...I'm not even sure Chubb will turn out to be best pass rusher in draft..If we go defense in 1st , I like Edmunds and Fitzpatrick better in a trade back... 

I don’t particularly want Chubb or Barkley. How’s that for a hot take? Not saying Barkley is going to bust, but there was a time Trent Richardson was regarded as the next Barry Sanders/Bo Jackson hybrid. 

27 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

I don’t particularly want Chubb or Barkley. How’s that for a hot take? Not saying Barkley is going to bust, but there was a time Trent Richardson was regarded as the next Barry Sanders/Bo Jackson hybrid. 

Trent had all the physical tools, but no one knew his severe lack of vision because of the great line he had in college..Not too mention,  probably the most important aspect, was he wasn't particularly smart, nor did he have the drive or dedication to succeed at next level...Barkley is the total package, no holes. .The only weakness I see in him is going for the big play too often, but Barry Sanders did the same thing and it worked out ok for him..

7 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Trent had all the physical tools, but no one knew his severe lack of vision because of the great line he had in college..Not too mention,  probably the most important aspect, was he wasn't particularly smart, nor did he have the drive or dedication to succeed at next level...Barkley is the total package, no holes. .The only weakness I see in him is going for the big play too often, but Barry Sanders did the same thing and it worked out ok for him..

Barkley is really really good but he's not without faults. He's a scat back in a power backs body so like you said he tends to bounce outside rather than make tough runs through the tackles. A lot of his games this year he would get 70% of his total yards on 1 or 2 runs, then get shut down for the rest of the game. The bowl game vs Washington comes to mind. He had a 92 yard run then averages 2.6 yards per carry the rest of the game. He has the best skill set of any back coming out but he wasn't as productive as he should have been to me. I like him a lot, just not at #3 personally.

17 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Barkley is really really good but he's not without faults. He's a scat back in a power backs body so like you said he tends to bounce outside rather than make tough runs through the tackles. A lot of his games this year he would get 70% of his total yards on 1 or 2 runs, then get shut down for the rest of the game. The bowl game vs Washington comes to mind. He had a 92 yard run then averages 2.6 yards per carry the rest of the game. He has the best skill set of any back coming out but he wasn't as productive as he should have been to me. I like him a lot, just not at #3 personally.

He can run between the tackles when he tries though...I do think he tries for big play too much instead of just hammering it through the hole for 4 yards..Part of that was constantly facing stacked boxes with no real other weapons for the defense to focus on..I think he is capable of running between tackles with power if needed , which is different than can't do it...I've seen him run through many tackles, and flat run over people, but he does try to dance too much sometimes for sure..

Ansah worries me with his injury history and sparatic production...but he might be as good an edge rusher as you will get in free agency. It would allow Ballard some flexibility in the draft. I could get behind a Ansah, Chubb, Sheard, Simon, Basham rotation. Add Hankins, Woods, Ridgeway, Anderson, and Hunt and you got yourself a very deep DL. You could get very creative on passing downs with those guys...or try Simon at say the Sam ILB..maybe add Hutchins and a ILB in the draft or use Bostic and Mingo and Walker. Suddenly that front 7 might be a strength. It would be an expensive offseason but I could get behind it. Just not sure where the Colts connection is. Ballard...new DC??? Not sure. The offseason is about to take off.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:30 PM, chad72 said:

Unless you are willing to fork out Olivier Vernon money (5 yrs $85 mil.), he is not coming here, unfortunately.

I'd honestly rather spend the big money on Andrew Norwell and Jarvis Landry. We could probably get Norwell for around 5 years, 55 mil. And Landry could probably be had for 5 years 60 mil. I'd rather dish out those 2 contracts than something like 5 years, 70 mil which could be around what Ansah gets since pass rushers along the lines of Ansah get paid big dollars in FA.

Then in the draft I'm getting Chubb.