Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins

oldunclemark

We are soon to find out where KC's Smith and Washington's Cousins will be playing next season.

I cant believe that KC would drop Smith for an unproven 2nd year player but it appears they will.

Meanwhile, I don't think Washington is going to put a $35 million dollar franchise tag on Cousins. No team can afford that.

My thought is that Smith will be traded to Arizona for draft choices outside the first round.

I dont think the Cardinals want a rookie QB starting next year and they can simply pay Smith Carson Palmer's money.

I'm thinking Kirk Cousins is going to Denver but there is a money issue there.

Cousins will want Matt Stafford money (about $25 mil a year) and Denver needs some vets to renegotiate or leave to afford that.

But even if this is all true. Who's going to QB the Jets.? Or the Browns?    Or, if Cousins leaves, Washington

7 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Chiefs have a real stud in Patrick Mahomes. Not surprising at all there, Smith hasn't been able to get over the hump.

Cousins to Denver/Buffalo is my guess

Mayfield to the Browns

Darnold to the Jets

Chiefs don't know if Mahomes is better than Smith or not....He's played 1 game...

That's not a change I'd make,,Mahomes could be a bust...you just don't know

The Browns cannot gamble on Baker Mayfiled. They just cant

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Chiefs don't know if Mahomes is better than Smith or not....He's played 1 game...

Not a gamble

Kid's a good QB

And Mahomes has shown what he can do

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Don't know if he Mahomes will be a stud, but if you can't look good playing QB for Andy Reid ya stink.

On 1/28/2018 at 4:25 PM, oldunclemark said:

if we ignore all other factors then id agree

thing is they traded a lot to get him, and according to google the chiefs are dead last in cap space this year

plus Alex smith will be on an expiring contract

On 1/28/2018 at 4:25 PM, Nesjan3 said:

Brown will draft a QB, Jets and Cardinals will all be looking to move up in the draft for a QB as well. I think the Jags will sign Cousins and the Broncos will make a trade for Smith.

There is a fly in that Jax ointment.  Blake Bortles gets a fully guaranteed 19 million dollars 5th year option for 2018, IF, he is on roster in new season on March 14th.  Cut him?  Well... Blake just had surgery on his wrist.  Do you think he will have 100% healthy clearance by March 14?  That is the 1st question in my mind.If not, i cant see paying Blake 19 mil (that all hits the cap without a restructure/extension) and Cousins 25+ million.  Thats 45 million for yor QB slots in a single season. 

Could Jax be in a position to move up and draft a QB instead if the above comes about?  As always, the draft has so many dynamics for so many teams it is hard to predict.

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

There is a fly in that Jax ointment.  Blake Bortles gets a fully guaranteed 19 million dollars 5th year option for 2018, IF, he is on roster in new season on March 14th.  Cut him?  Well... Blake just had surgery on his wrist.  Do you think he will have 100% healthy clearance by March 14?  That is the 1st question in my mind.If not, i cant see paying Blake 19 mil (that all hits the cap without a restructure/extension) and Cousins 25+ million.  Thats 45 million for yor QB slots in a single season. 

Could Jax be in a position to move up and draft a QB instead if the above comes about?  As always, the draft has so many dynamics for so many teams it is hard to predict.

Why can't they just cut him 

12 hours ago, aaron11 said:

if we ignore all other factors then id agree

thing is they traded a lot to get him, and according to google the chiefs are dead last in cap space this year

plus Alex smith will be on an expiring contract

That's all true.......I  saw Mahomes play the final game of the season against Denver.

He was OK for a rookie

But if KC thinks they are going to be a conference contender in 2018, they should stay with Smith another year.  They have him at $17 mil....He's not a free agent.

How much would it hurt Mahomes to sit another year?

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:00 PM, BOTT said:

Don't know if he Mahomes will be a stud, but if you can't look good playing QB for Andy Reid ya stink.

That's true.....

I just don't see the urgency in moving away from Alex Smith when you have him signed at a low QB pay rate for 2018.

Cut others for cap space.......I thought Smith played well this past season. ..and I don't know what the reason is to think that Pat Mahomes will play as well in 2018 as Smith did in 2017..

What is that reason?

On 1/30/2018 at 7:32 AM, Colts_Fan12 said:

Why can't they just cut him 

If a player is injured doing football  activities (mini-camp, training camp, regular season etc...), then he can't be cut from the team until he is cleared of injury or is paid. Bortles was listed on injury reports during the season for his wrist, and then had corrective surgery on it this off season.  Until he is fully healed, rehabbed and medically cleared, he must remain on roster. Jags can't release him. If that recovery period goes past 3/14/2018, then Bortles gets his 5th year option pay with full guarantee, and it will ALL count against the team salary cap in full, unless they can extend him and amortize that cap hit over a few years (they won't lower the guaranteed pay any, though). 

Superman will be able to clarify or identify any mistakes if necessary.

11 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

If a player is injured doing football  activities (mini-camp, training camp, regular season etc...), then he can't be cut from the team until he is cleared of injury. Bortles was listed on injury reports during the season for his wrist, and then had corrective surgery on it this off season.  Until he is fully healed, rehabbed and medically cleared, he must remain on roster. Jags can't release him. If that recovery period goes past 3/14/2018, then Bortles gets his 5th year option pay with full guarantee, and it will ALL count against the team salary cap in full, unless they can extend him and amortize that cap hit over a few years (they won't lower the guaranteed pay any, though). 

Superman will be able to clarify or identify any mistakes if necessary.

That's extremely unfair 

8 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

That's true.....

I just don't see the urgency in moving away from Alex Smith when you have him signed at a low QB pay rate for 2018.

Cut others for cap space.......I thought Smith played well this past season. ..and I don't know what the reason is to think that Pat Mahomes will play as well in 2018 as Smith did in 2017..

What is that reason?

He supposedly looked great in training camp and preseason.

plus, smith isn't as good as his stats suggest imo.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:25 PM, oldunclemark said:

I would hang on to Smith for another year or two.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Well interesting enough Smith ends up in Wwshington...And got like 27 million!!! Cousins is going to break 30 now...and I think Cleveland will land him....I can’t see how Denver could open up the money it will take...they probably got to go young now.

The 'true' deal is more like A. Smith to Redskins for 3 years at 23.7 mil / yr. How they structure it may lessen cap hit but for a longer period of time. Cousins will command more.  A Superman always says, the true nature of a deal is in the guaranteed money and structure of the contract.  Not what is reported by agents and the media.

seems like a move that doesn't move the needle much for Washington. Not sure if it's an upgrade or not at the moment. Stampede Blue had and article about how this changes the draft landscape? Trying to figure that out still since No one expects KC to take a QB in the first round after drafting Patrick but go figure.

19 minutes ago, waka waka said:

seems like a move that doesn't move the needle much for Washington. Not sure if it's an upgrade or not at the moment. Stampede Blue had and article about how this changes the draft landscape? Trying to figure that out still since No one expects KC to take a QB in the first round after drafting Patrick but go figure.

When they took Patrick in the 1st it was obvious that they where going to dump Alex Smith at some point.  You don't spend a first round pick on a backup.

I think this makes Washington worse.  I would put Kirk Cousins as being better then Alex Smith.  But that said I'm not entirely sure why Washington wasn't able to re-sign Cousins.  Part of me thinks that Cousins didn't want to play in Washington long term.  Maybe he felt the team was mis-managed.  So I think he waited out a couple of franchise tags so he could hit FA and get out of Washington.  

This does change the landscape because of the teams in need for a QB, a pretty good free agent one will be available.  So one less team will need a QB in the draft.  

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

When they took Patrick in the 1st it was obvious that they where going to dump Alex Smith at some point.  You don't spend a first round pick on a backup.

I think this makes Washington worse.  I would put Kirk Cousins as being better then Alex Smith.  But that said I'm not entirely sure why Washington wasn't able to re-sign Cousins.  Part of me thinks that Cousins didn't want to play in Washington long term.  Maybe he felt the team was mis-managed.  So I think he waited out a couple of franchise tags so he could hit FA and get out of Washington.  

This does change the landscape because of the teams in need for a QB, a pretty good free agent one will be available.  So one less team will need a QB in the draft.  

gotcha...i also think Cousins will want to go to a contender not to just get paid so that takes the (Browns, and Jets)and a few more off the list. If i was Cousins I'd be inquiring about the Vikings and Jags situation each one of these possible landing spots are later in the draft so the top half likely will still have to do there due diligence and find a QB. 

On 1/31/2018 at 3:29 PM, waka waka said:

gotcha...i also think Cousins will want to go to a contender not to just get paid so that takes the (Browns, and Jets)and a few more off the list. If i was Cousins I'd be inquiring about the Vikings and Jags situation each one of these possible landing spots are later in the draft so the top half likely will still have to do there due diligence and find a QB. 

Especially if he left Washington because he didn't like how it was being managed, he is going to be looking to get on the best team that will offer him a decent deal.  

I don't think he's gonna go play for the Browns just because they offer him a couple million more then a winning team.  

If he lands with the Jags, this division is about to get ultra competitive real quick.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Especially if he left Washington because he didn't like how it was being managed, he is going to be looking to get on the best team that will offer him a decent deal.  

I don't think he's gonna go play for the Browns just because they offer him a couple million more then a winning team.  

If he lands with the Jags, this division is about to get ultra competitive real quick.  

This division will be the best in football if they upgrade the QB spot I guarantee it. The sad thing is we may be the 4th team good thing is we are on the upward swing. Titans with better coaching could be good Houston will be a force if Watson keeps it up and proves it wasn't a fluke and had has the best D in the NFL imo.

3 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

This division will be the best in football if they upgrade the QB spot I guarantee it. The sad thing is we may be the 4th team good thing is we are on the upward swing. Titans with better coaching could be good Houston will be a force if Watson keeps it up and proves it wasn't a fluke and had has the best D in the NFL imo.

Not the best but certainly enough to give teams trouble.