Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Belichick's AFC South

King Colt

Just now, King Colt said:

Anyone notice the head coaches for three of the four AFC South teams are lead by former Hoody players/assistants? It makes one wonder why so few in the past have had success as head coaches.

None had a decent qb.....much less a Tom Brady. If you don't have a qb you don't have much. I'm not saying Tom Brady makes that organization but even a pro bowl caliber qb I don't think any have had.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

None had a decent qb.....much less a Tom Brady. If you don't have a qb you don't have much. I'm not saying Tom Brady makes that organization but even a pro bowl caliber qb I don't think any have had.

I don't think it coincidence that McDaniels, Patricia and Vrabel all left for teams with a QB.

In part that's due to going from assistant to head coach

A head coach has to be a leader of the entire team.

Of the two leaving now I would put my money on Patricia. He was involved with the offense early in his career and he knows the entire game very well and is a leader.

16 hours ago, -JJ- said:

In part that's due to going from assistant to head coach

A head coach has to be a leader of the entire team.

Of the two leaving now I would put my money on Patricia. He was involved with the offense early in his career and he knows the entire game very well and is a leader.

The leader part I think very likely....but let's be honest here. Belichick is a defensive genius...how much of those defensive game plans are him and how much are Patricia. But like you said....you put other people in charge of those things now...and its about setting culture and leadership and running the whole team now...not just one unit...Patricia may very well be better at all that.

Mangini and McDaniels (first time around) both erred in the sense that they tried to just basically replicate Belichick's world. But if you don't carry the panache for that sort of thing, it comes off as disingenuous. 

I'm sure McD will do better this time around. Older, wiser, etc. Lessons learned. 

I also think Patricia will do well. 

16 minutes ago, GoPats said:

Mangini and McDaniels (first time around) both erred in the sense that they tried to just basically replicate Belichick's world. But if you don't carry the panache for that sort of thing, it comes off as disingenuous. 

I'm sure McD will do better this time around. Older, wiser, etc. Lessons learned. 

I also think Patricia will do well. 

Also McDaniels I think had a little too much control the first time. Working with Ballard I think will help keep some of that attitude in check but also lend validation to his moves and his leadership knowing he has Ballards and Irsays blessing. Too much too fast I think for McDaniels.....but honestly other than Tebow his roster moves made a lot of sense....I do believe the video scandal hurt him a lot there in Denver too. I agree sometimes being the change agent can backfire....especially if those in the organization aren't behind the agent. I think McDaniels will do a much better job here. I agree...at least both have a starting qb that should allow them to be in any game. When you don't have a good qb then you are really starting in a hole. It will be interesting to see how their intensity fares...obviously Pagano and Caldwell I would probably classify as on the quiet soft spoken end of the head coaching family. Players will have to get used to a different type of leadership.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:43 PM, Jules said:

Kinda scares me with all this Pats influence in the AFC South now. Still have to give the edge to the Jags heading into next season though. 

Yep...Coughlin has the right plan down there in Jacksonville. He has the answer to beating the Pats....difference though this time was he had Bortles leading his team and not Eli....who made some of the most clutch plays in SB history on those two game winning drives against Bill.....Bortles couldn't complete a third down to save his life in that second half....and that's the difference between winning and losing.

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yep...Coughlin has the right plan down there in Jacksonville. He has the answer to beating the Pats....difference though this time was he had Bortles leading his team and not Eli....who made some of the most clutch plays in SB history on those two game winning drives against Bill.....Bortles couldn't complete a third down to save his life in that second half....and that's the difference between winning and losing.

Jaguars give me sort of a vibe of those old Ravens teams, well when the Ravens had Ed Reed and Ray Lewis and were still knocking people around including NE. I know everyone hates Bortles, but I am not convinced that if you tossed in Alex "boring" Smith they would be that much dramatically better either. And Eli is getting up there in age.....

So I dunno........sometimes you can't have it all in today's NFL. The mega defense AND QB it seems. Giants just had that run there with Eli when their D line was lights out a lot in the postseason.