Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Patricia fires lions assistants

CR91

10 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

He probably told the GM he wasn’t going to have those assistants back, which is likely what McDaniels did

That would explain why they all left so suddenly, however both chud and teddy m are still here

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

That would explain why they all left so suddenly, however both chud and teddy m are still here

I doubt they're in the building...    and even if they are, I doubt they think they're going to be on the staff.

We've already hired new coordinators.

Just because there's been no official announcement doesn't mean they haven't been told they're gone.   In all likelyhood they know their future.

4 hours ago, Aaron86 said:

I think teddy  ould end up being our linebackers coach and chud the tight ends coach. That's just my opinion. I do think Chud is why J Doyle had such a good year.

I think Josh will utilize Doyle as well if not better. He has the common sense not feature stone hands Allen with the Pats all season. On top of that, clearly no one can deny they feature a pass catching tight end religiously up in N.E.

11 minutes ago, life long said:

I think Josh will utilize Doyle as well if not better. He has the common sense not feature stone hands Allen with the Pats all season. On top of that, clearly no one can deny they feature a pass catching tight end religiously up in N.E.

I could see him getting Swoope involved some too (if he likes his play). The 2nd TE in NE is featured some too. Like Bennett last year, and what Allen was supposed to be this year. 

2 hours ago, life long said:

Yeah, I don't think I could agree more. I was just thinking about how they could possibly go back to positional coach or something. I really don't want them here any longer.

19 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Why does the NFL keep up the pretense of hiring dates and such when the entire NFL fan base can see it's happening anyway. It's already circumvented. Acknowledge it. 

they dont want JM to have to address media questions about his next team while he is preparing for a super bowl

reporters would try to get him to say something that might upset the locker room 

23 hours ago, CR91 said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/23/matt-patricia-has-told-some-lions-assistants-theyre-gone/

I'm not an expert on the rules, but is that allowed before he's even hired?

They probably do it through the people that are there already.  How has McDaniels hired our coordinators without offically having the job.  Most likely on the phone.  

Quite frankly I have to say for them that has to be a weird experience.  They are simultaniously planning for the SB in their current role but they are also trying to set up staff over the phone for the job they are taking after the SB.  

On January 23, 2018 at 10:24 AM, CR91 said:

I'm not an expert on the rules, but is that allowed before he's even hired?

You do make a valid point CR91. One would think a new HC should be formally introduced at an official press conference before pink slips are handed out. 

On the plus side, it gives coordinators more time to land new sideline gigs I guess. 

On 1/24/2018 at 12:32 AM, NorthernBlue said:

I could see him getting Swoope involved some too (if he likes his play). The 2nd TE in NE is featured some too. Like Bennett last year, and what Allen was supposed to be this year. 

I would be surprised if Swoope makes the roster. He's been hanging around since 2014, and really hasn't done much to justify taking up a spot. 

12 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

I would be surprised if Swoope makes the roster. He's been hanging around since 2014, and really hasn't done much to justify taking up a spot. 

He showed some real flashes in 2016. As a basketball player, he was an excellent athlete for the TE position. Big, Tall, and fast. Great for mismatches. The injury screwed him over this season,  but I think they'll at least give him a good shot at making the roster throughout TC.

But I agree, if he doesn't show up on the field, Ballard won't hesitate to let him go.

On 1/24/2018 at 3:24 AM, Aaron86 said:

Yeah, I don't think I could agree more. I was just thinking about how they could possibly go back to positional coach or something. I really don't want them here any longer.

Amen I will be quite happy when Chud is no longer allowed in the Colts complex next year.

When he took over the Broncos, McDaniels fired all the offensive staff except the OL and RB coaches.  It looks like he's going to be starting from scratch here anyway with all the departures.

Sad to see Tom McMahon go.