Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Still early in the process....but......

I spent a little time on the Browns and Giants sites and message boards just to see what the consensus of the two teams picking before us were thinking and how it might effect us at the #3 position. Cleveland is all over the map from site to site I visited but QB was the main theme with the #1 pick, and there is no consensus on which one either lol.....but there was the fringe feelings for Chubb, Barkley and Fitzpatrick with the #1 pick.

The Browns situation I was floored that the fans were all over the place on who to take.....the Browns page talks QB's comparing and contrasting the choices but the fans were all over the map with Fitzpatrick, Barkley, Chubb and any QB with an arm all being bandied as the first overall.

The Giants board was a little more interesting. There was about 45% QB bent which is not surprising, what was surprising was the how to solve the problem. Split that % into 3 camps: 1)  draft a QB, 2) that their 3rd round selection last year in Davis Webb would be Eli's heir apparent. The remaining 3rd of the contingent content to ride out Eli for another year or two. (So the smallest percentage was for drafting a QB, the other two camps were split between Eli and Webb)

The second biggest contingent roughly 40-45% of the fan base wanted to trade their pick. with the Jets or Denver letting us take Chubb, and snatching up a running back. Stating all the same things everyone on here says about Barkley helping Luck insert (Manning), beast, once in a generation talent, Cowboy Elliott comparison blah, blah and blah points of contention.

Then there was the 10% or so that was for trading or releasing JPP and picking up Chubb with the #2 pick position....

Found the Jets/Denver trades to be most interesting because their trade back thoughts are the same as ours....and I don't think the Jets or Broncos are worried about us taking a QB, but they might be worried about the Giants taking one......might make trading up with Giants much more lucrative....

It’s hard to be sure because there are so many times that GMs take a risk in either making a move or not. In the end I hope we can get Chubb then Guice. 

I think the Combine performance, QBs in particular, will help clear the air on whether a #1 or #2 pick is worth taking a QB. I’m not sure how good they are, but I’ve heard they may be better than Wentz and Goff, and they were both top 2 picks. 

10 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

It’s hard to be sure because there are so many times that GMs take a risk in either making a move or not. In the end I hope we can get Chubb then Guice. 

I think the Combine performance, QBs in particular, will help clear the air on whether a #1 or #2 pick is worth taking a QB. I’m not sure how good they are, but I’ve heard they may be better than Wentz and Goff, and they were both top 2 picks. 

It is hard to be sure, and waaaay too early but we haven't had anything to worry about as fans this year other than, how will we get better....so just idle chatter and observation at this point, Combine results, and Free Agency could change things but its either this or compare what we had for lunch yesterday lol

1 hour ago, crunked said:

I spent a little time on the Browns and Giants sites and message boards just to see what the consensus of the two teams picking before us were thinking and how it might effect us at the #3 position. Cleveland is all over the map from site to site I visited but QB was the main theme with the #1 pick, and there is no consensus on which one either lol.....but there was the fringe feelings for Chubb, Barkley and Fitzpatrick with the #1 pick.

The Browns situation I was floored that the fans were all over the place on who to take.....the Browns page talks QB's comparing and contrasting the choices but the fans were all over the map with Fitzpatrick, Barkley, Chubb and any QB with an arm all being bandied as the first overall.

The Giants board was a little more interesting. There was about 45% QB bent which is not surprising, what was surprising was the how to solve the problem. Split that % into 3 camps: 1)  draft a QB, 2) that their 3rd round selection last year in Davis Webb would be Eli's heir apparent. The remaining 3rd of the contingent content to ride out Eli for another year or two. (So the smallest percentage was for drafting a QB, the other two camps were split between Eli and Webb)

The second biggest contingent roughly 40-45% of the fan base wanted to trade their pick. with the Jets or Denver letting us take Chubb, and snatching up a running back. Stating all the same things everyone on here says about Barkley helping Luck insert (Manning), beast, once in a generation talent, Cowboy Elliott comparison blah, blah and blah points of contention.

Then there was the 10% or so that was for trading or releasing JPP and picking up Chubb with the #2 pick position....

Found the Jets/Denver trades to be most interesting because their trade back thoughts are the same as ours....and I don't think the Jets or Broncos are worried about us taking a QB, but they might be worried about the Giants taking one......might make trading up with Giants much more lucrative....

There are 3 QBs I could see going in the top 4-5 picks. So the 3rd overall pick will be very valuable in its own right. I predict Cleveland might fall in love in Josh Allen and take him #1. Then one of either Rosen or Darnold will be available when the Colts pick. I would think either Denver or the Jets would love to have either one. 

17 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

There are 3 QBs I could see going in the top 4-5 picks. So the 3rd overall pick will be very valuable in its own right. I predict Cleveland might fall in love in Josh Allen and take him #1. Then one of either Rosen or Darnold will be available when the Colts pick. I would think either Denver or the Jets would love to have either one. 

Agreed, the Cleveland fan base at the moment is really enamored with Allen more so than anyone else, its early but still found it interesting. The dynamic that struck me was the Giants trade back wise were targeting the same teams we are; again its their fans and our fans speculating so it doesn't mean anything, just found it interesting how the paradigm would change based on who trades back with whom, and what each of those teams view as "their guy" .  the top say 5 guys picked when the draft rolls around could change up dramatically from that alone, let alone the Sr. Bowl, combine, FA to come.....its all still very fluid, again just fun to discuss and speculate.

15 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

So, if Barkley is still there at #3, what team out there has a solid to good o-line that needs a RB to put them over the top?

I don't think Colts line is that bad, the offensive scheme and injuries were the main culprit...If we can add a top guard in Free agency and develop guys we already spent picks on in Haeg and Clark;  Barkley can be big time for us..Clark was a known project now entering his 3rd year I want to see him in new scheme before I say we need a new tackle, Goode has been getting better too...It takes olineman especially , time to develop and adjust to NFL, most are from spread systems and have to relearn everything. ..

Just now, Four2itus said:

So, if Barkley is still there at #3, what team out there has a solid to good o-line that needs a RB to put them over the top?

Colts O-line bad, Giants O-line bad, Broncos O- line bad.... Jets and Browns O-line middle of the pack

48 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

If Cleveland is smart they get Barkley at 1, Fitzpatrick or Chubb at 4, Lamar Jackson rd 2, and sign Cousins or trade for Alex Smith..They are hoping we trade back..

I may be wrong but I have said the Browns were going to take Barkley at #1 since we found out the order of the draft. They have 12 total picks in this draft and the chances of them getting a starting QB is pretty good regardless of who they take at #1.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I may be wrong but I have said the Browns were going to take Barkley at #1 since we found out the order of the draft. They have 12 total picks in this draft and the chances of them getting a starting QB is pretty good regardless of who they take at #1.

Yeah very possible. ..I could also see them taking chubb at 1 hoping we trade back and then taking Barkley or Fitzpatrick at 4 especially if they get Cousins..I think Rosen and Darnold look like busts in the making because of their characters...I like Allen, Mayfield, and Jackson better...

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Yeah very possible. ..I could also see them taking chubb at 1 hoping we trade back and then taking Barkley or Fitzpatrick at 4 especially if they get Cousins..I think Rosen and Darnold look like busts in the making because of their characters...I like Allen, Mayfield, and Jackson better...

Not that it makes any difference but Mel Kiper said the Browns were actually looking at Allen to draft. If that is true he could be picked with the #4 pick. It also not a done deal that the Giants are going to take a QB with pick#2 because of what the owner has said about Eli. That may be a smokescreen but it's also a possibility.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2018/01/22/wyomings-josh-allen-wants-to-be-the-qb-to-turn-browns-around/

Interesting tactic by Allen being his own hype man. 

Publicly stating you want to be to savior for the Browns franchise might be just enough for the Cleveland FA to fall in love and pull the trigger at #1.

Keep it up Josh, you might just get us a trade partner at #3.:rock:

54 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

In your opinion. Who don't have a clue as to who the Browns will take. If Barkley is considered the best player in the draft just why wouldn't the Browns not take him?

I think people understand that it's my opinion without you pointing it out.

40 minutes ago, Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers said:

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2018/01/22/wyomings-josh-allen-wants-to-be-the-qb-to-turn-browns-around/

Interesting tactic by Allen being his own hype man. 

Publicly stating you want to be to savior for the Browns franchise might be just enough for the Cleveland FA to fall in love and pull the trigger at #1.

Keep it up Josh, you might just get us a trade partner at #3.:rock:

I can hardly think of a worse way to use your number one pick, but this is Cleveland we’re talking about; the place where mediocrity goes to cease existence. 

21 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I think people understand that it's my opinion without you pointing it out.

You don't speak like it's your opinion. You speak like you think it is fact. We all know the draft never goes as anyone thinks because we as fans are not trained like a GM and their scouts are no matter who thinks they know better.

A GM does not have hind sight like the fans use to be the judges.

20 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You don't speak like it's your opinion. You speak like you think it is fact. We all know the draft never goes as anyone thinks because we as fans are not trained like a GM and their scouts are no matter who thinks they know better.

A GM does not have hind sight like the fans use to be the judges.

I didn't "speak" at all.....so I'm not sure how you deciphered that from me typing "the Browns aren't taking Barkley #1".

12 hours ago, Superman said:

Excellent signature line.

Thank you, had to retire the, "It took Grigson and Pagano 4 years to build and develop this defense, let that sink in" at the end of the season in 16 (actually dropped Grigson from the phrase when the Colts dropped him) but you get the idea...then when the injuries started piling up and we kept losing this year....well it wrote itself....... sadly lol I am your diehard Colts fan with a sarcastic streak to my misery.....might be a birth defect , science is still sorting that out :)

Just heard Joe Thomas on Golic & Wingo this morning and they asked him what he would do if he were the GM for the Browns. He said that he would offer Kirk Cousins $35 million to be their QB. The Browns are sitting with almost $120 million in cap space. He said he would then take Saquon Barkley with the #1 pick and then the best defensive player available at #4. He also said that GM John Dorsey told him that he doesn't believe in playing rookie QB's because they just (for the most part) aren't ready. I don't know if this means anything or nothing, but I did find it interesting to actually hear from a Browns player. 

Well that is one of the trains of thought, or Alex Smith, if they want to maximize their bang for buck, if they believe there is no franchise QB in the draft, and although I need to learn more about the top 5 guys, there is nothing I have seen that if I was a GM where I would say that guys solid....at least so far.....then signing a FA QB and load up otherwise would be the best move for them. Interesting to learn though and thanks for sharing.....Ps love the hair ;)

1 hour ago, KING. said:

It's the Browns though.

I have a feeling this Browns front office is not going to be getting the sarcastic comments thrown at them much longer.

Their GM is better than any they have had in a very long time. Dorsey scouted for the Packers from 2000 till 2011 before being named director of football operations in 2012. In 2013 he was hired to be the GM of Kansas City till he became Cleveland's GM last season. Ballard worked under him till they both become GMs last year.

He set them up pretty good to get much better this season for sure. And he does know how to draft.

Really the bottom line, is the Browns hold all the cards in this draft, based on what they might do in FA and they have the $ to do what they want.....will determine what they will do with  their picks in the draft.......the possibilities for them are darn near endless. And yeah they have a legit GM now, so I don't expect the boobery we have seen in years past, they SHOULD literally go from zero (wins) to hero status (aka respectable at least) in one off season.

On 1/24/2018 at 6:36 AM, jshipp23 said:

What’s wrong with Rosen and Darnold’s character? Their not exactly J. Manziel! I believe Mayfield is the only one who had the off thefield issues. Both played in Pro style system and I’m sure one of the two will be successful. The three you like have greater flaws IMO.