Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For those that think we should go RB at 3....

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

No one changing any minds here. 

Some of you will need to be heavily medicated if we stay at 3, because the pick is Barkley. 

If we do not trade out then I guarantee the pick is Barkley. He will be the pick, because he will be the best player available. 

I think you are the one who might need to be medicated. I believe most here arguing against taking Barkley at #3 are also still very aware that taking him is a realistic possibility. 

Where as you believe (or say you do) there is 0% chance that we take anyone else at #3 (if Barkley is there). 

I would say you are in for a much bigger disappointment IF you are wrong than the the "non-Barkley" posters. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

No one changing any minds here. 

Some of you will need to be heavily medicated if we stay at 3, because the pick is Barkley. 

If we do not trade out then I guarantee the pick is Barkley. He will be the pick, because he will be the best player available. 

I'm curious as to why you think that. You keep stating BPA, but there's no way of knowing who the colts BPA is unless you secretly work for them.

Based on Ballards' and McDaniels' history, I would argue that leaves more evidence that they WON'T draft a running back early on.

Josh has ran brilliant offenses with mostly late round running backs.

When Ballard was a scout with Chicago (2001-2012) they selected 1 running back round 1 (Cedric Benson 2004). And in KC as an executive (2012-2016) they took none. 

So while I wouldn't be surprised if Ballard was inticed by Barkley's talent, I don't think there's enough to say Saquon Barkley will definitely be the pick.

16 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

The Patriots have not picked in the top 10, in a quite some time. They have had to be thrifty with later picks. 

I have no doubt in my mind that if Bill Belichick was sitting at #3, that he would either take a quarterback or Barkley. 

Duh, Lets look at the reasons that the patriots haven't had a pick in the top ten for quite some time.

It's because their system getting wins does not require a stud RB. When they suffer an injury at RB they move to the next man up and it works. 

Now lets take a peek at their defense. Nuff said. 

17 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

My opinion is that Chris Ballard is not stupid. Another failure to understand, on your part.

I absolutely believe he will take Saquon Barkley (unless offered a ransom to move back).

I believe Chris Ballard is a very smart man, so the only way he is passing on Barkley is if we take some team to the cleaners.

Wager: if Barkley is there at 3 and the colts pass you never post on this forum again. If the colts take him at 3 I will never post on this forum again.

On 1/22/2018 at 11:07 PM, Doyle84 said:

If we're not taking Barkley then we should be trading down.

I'm not really bothered about whether we take Barkley or not, I'll think he'll be good but we have needs elsewhere, but those needs could be filled with a slightly later 1st rounder and a few assets to go along with it.

I wouldn't like to use 3 on Chubb.

Agree here. I saw the dude get absolutely shut down by ND this past season. A non factor against nfl caliber lineman. One if which i hope we trade back and get. :D

3 hours ago, esmort said:

I think you are the one who might need to be medicated. I believe most here arguing against taking Barkley at #3 are also still very aware that taking him is a realistic possibility. 

Where as you believe (or say you do) there is 0% chance that we take anyone else at #3 (if Barkley is there). 

I would say you are in for a much bigger disappointment IF you are wrong than the the "non-Barkley" posters. 

Me, disappointed? No. 

It is very clear to me. Not sure why anyone else is having issues the truth. I do find it a bit humorous though. LOL

2 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

I'm curious as to why you think that. You keep stating BPA, but there's no way of knowing who the colts BPA is unless you secretly work for them.

Based on Ballards' and McDaniels' history, I would argue that leaves more evidence that they WON'T draft a running back early on.

When Ballard was a scout with Chicago (2001-2012) they selected 1 running back round 1 (Cedric Benson 2004). And in KC as an executive (2012-2016) they took none. 

So while I wouldn't be surprised if Ballard was inticed by Barkley's talent, I don't think there's enough to say Saquon Barkley will definitely be the pick.

Because he is Saquon Barkley. 

If you knew how great Saquon Barkley is then we would not be disagreeing about this. 

22 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Wager: if Barkley is there at 3 and the colts pass you never post on this forum again. If the colts take him at 3 I will never post on this forum again.

LOL!

I am leaving the door open for a possible trade-back though. So there is a possible stalemate here. 

DEAL!

I would say it has been nice knowing you, but.....

3 hours ago, esmort said:

It won't be the first time this boards "Group Think" was wrong. It happens quite often, actually. 

6 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Because he is Saquon Barkley. 

If you knew how great Saquon Barkley is then we would not be disagreeing about this. 

I like Barkley. Just not as much as you. I question his vision a bit and his lack of production after his LT went down. Still good but not worth the 3rd I don't think.

2 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I like Barkley. Just not as much as you. I question his vision a bit and his lack of production after his LT went down. Still good but not worth the 3rd I don't think.

It is not about me liking him. Personally, I do not know him.

I do know what a can't miss player looks like, and his name is Saquon Barkley. 

15 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

It is not about me liking him. Personally, I do not know him.

I do know what a can't miss player looks like, and his name is Saquon Barkley. 

Ok I'm just saying, if you yourself was this good at player evaluation, you would probably be somewhere more important than a message board.

Hey, if you think that Barkley is gonna be can't miss, that's all good. Nothing wrong with an evaluation.

3 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

McDaniels while in Denver took a RB being compared to Barry Sanders with the 12th pick overall. People may forget just how good Knowshon Moreno was at the UGA. In 2 years 2700+ rushing yards and 30 td's He even caught 53 passes from Stafford. Not a bad backfield 

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

Ok I'm just saying, if you yourself was this good at player evaluation, you would probably be somewhere more important than a message board.

Hey, if you think that Barkley is gonna be can't miss, that's all good. Nothing wrong with an evaluation.

I like coming to this message board. I am a Colts fan. 

Barkley's evaluation is one of the easiest I have ever done. There are no gotchas with him. It is very difficult to find anything wrong with him or his game. 

15 minutes ago, akcolt said:

McDaniels while in Denver took a RB being compared to Barry Sanders with the 12th pick overall. People may forget just how good Knowshon Moreno was at the UGA. In 2 years 2700+ rushing yards and 30 td's He even caught 53 passes from Stafford. Not a bad backfield 

It's going to take a while, but in a couple of years these "naysayers" will all be boasting how they knew we would draft Barkley all along.

At the very least, they will down-play how much they were against us taking him. 

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:56 PM, NorthernBlue said:

This is pretty much gonna be the debate all till April. Whether or not we should take Barkley at 3, and specifically if an RBs value is worth  it in the first. 

For those that are in the take Barkley camp, consider this. This is a comment I found on Stampede Blue by user FatDT. Just cutting and pasting a portion (everything in bold is his comment).

Top 20 in rushing yardage:
Kareem Hunt – Round 3
Todd Gurley – Round 1
Le’Veon Bell – Round 2
Lesean McCoy – Round 2
Mark Ingram – Round 1
Jordan Howard – Round 5
Melvin Gordon – Round 1
Leonard Fournette – Round 1
CJ Anderson – Undrafted
Ezekiel Elliot – Round 1
Alex Collins – Round 5
Frank Gore – Round 3
Carlos Hyde – Round 2
Dion Lewis – Round 5
Marshawn Lynch – Round 1
Lamar Miller – Round 4
Devonta Freeman – Round 4
Isaiah Crowell – Undrafted
Latavius Murray – Round 6
Bilal Powell – Round 4

Top 20 in sacks:
Chandler Jones – Round 1
Calais Campbell – Round 2
Demarcus Lawrence – Round 2
Everson Griffin – Round 4
Cam Jordan – Round 1
Ryan Kerrigan – Round 1
Joey Bosa – Round 1
Ezekiel Ansah – Round 1
Cam Heyward – Round 1
Yannick Ngakoue – Round 3
Mario Addison – Undrafted
Aaron Donald – Round 1
Julius Peppers – Round 1
Terrell Suggs – Round 1
Melvin Ingram – Round 1
Khalil Mack – Round 1
Cam Wake – Undrafted
Von Miller – Round 1
Adrian Clayborn – Round 1
Jadaveon Clowney – Round 1

RBs – 6 in the 1st round, 5 in rounds 2-3, 9 in rounds 4-7 and UDFA
Pass Rushers – 14 in the 1st round, 3 in rounds 2-3, 3 in rounds 4-7 and UDFA

Barkley is a once in a generation, sure. But it's so much easier to find a late round RB than it is a pass rusher. And most of those pass rushers were taken top 10, a spot where the colts likely won't pick again for the next few years.

I like Saquon, but if the colts think Bradley Chubb is a stud, they can't pass on him for a position that simply isn't used as much in the NFL anymore.

If any y'all's trying to read the full thread, here.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/22/16913018/better-option-for-the-colts-signing-leveon-bell-or-drafting-saquon-barkley

We haven't had a RB like Barkley probably since Edge.

I like coming to this message board. I am a Colts fan. 

Barkley's evaluation is one of the easiest I have ever done. There are no gotchas with him. It is very difficult to find anything wrong with him or his game. 

I agree I like him more than fournette and Elliot and even gurley. Plus he don't got any off field concerns or baggage.

i just feel at 3, we got a chance to finally get that pass rushing stud we've been missing for so long.

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

True, but I feel like his recent success with mid tier RBs makes it so that saying they'll definitely want to take Barkley at 3 is a bit premature.

21 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I just showed you 3 random years, all of which makes my point VERY WELL!

Your facts are skewed to fit your opinion. 

I think you need to look deeper at what actually happens in an NFL draft. 

This is dumb. The argument isn't that every running back picked after the first round is awesome. You're arguing against a point that was never made. The idea would be to find out where the successful RBs in the league were drafted. How do you miss the point by such a huge margin? It's impressive really.

1 hour ago, CheezyColt said:

This is dumb. The argument isn't that every running back picked after the first round is awesome. You're arguing against a point that was never made. The idea would be to find out where the successful RBs in the league were drafted. How do you miss the point by such a huge margin? It's impressive really.

What’s impressive is the “Group Think” that happens on this board. It won’t be the first time so many were Completely Wrong on this board. 

This should shame a lot of people too. In a couple of years, when Barkley is grabbing his second NFL rushing title, these same naysayers will downplay they ever had this “Group Think” mentality about Barkley. 

It is very impressive to watch the sheep move with such programmed coordination. 

2 hours ago, ND Irish said:

Im sure you were saying the same about M. Garrett last year. Is he still in the league?

Your sureness is incorrect.

I am SURE many on this board would have taken Garrett over Barkley though.

Obviously, I would not have. 

The only player in the 2017 and 2018 drafts, I would take over Barkley is San Darnold. The rest of the field isn’t close to either Darnold or Barkley. 

2 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

I agree I like him more than fournette and Elliot and even gurley. Plus he don't got any off field concerns or baggage.

i just feel at 3, we got a chance to finally get that pass rushing stud we've been missing for so long.

Who?

There is not a single player in this draft, who will make more of a difference for the Colts than Barkley. 

There is no Freeney here. It’s possible there is a JPP, but it ain’t Chubb. 

On 1/22/2018 at 7:56 PM, NorthernBlue said:

This is pretty much gonna be the debate all till April. Whether or not we should take Barkley at 3, and specifically if an RBs value is worth  it in the first. 

For those that are in the take Barkley camp, consider this. This is a comment I found on Stampede Blue by user FatDT. Just cutting and pasting a portion (everything in bold is his comment).

Top 20 in rushing yardage:
Kareem Hunt – Round 3
Todd Gurley – Round 1
Le’Veon Bell – Round 2
Lesean McCoy – Round 2
Mark Ingram – Round 1
Jordan Howard – Round 5
Melvin Gordon – Round 1
Leonard Fournette – Round 1
CJ Anderson – Undrafted
Ezekiel Elliot – Round 1
Alex Collins – Round 5
Frank Gore – Round 3
Carlos Hyde – Round 2
Dion Lewis – Round 5
Marshawn Lynch – Round 1
Lamar Miller – Round 4
Devonta Freeman – Round 4
Isaiah Crowell – Undrafted
Latavius Murray – Round 6
Bilal Powell – Round 4

Top 20 in sacks:
Chandler Jones – Round 1
Calais Campbell – Round 2
Demarcus Lawrence – Round 2
Everson Griffin – Round 4
Cam Jordan – Round 1
Ryan Kerrigan – Round 1
Joey Bosa – Round 1
Ezekiel Ansah – Round 1
Cam Heyward – Round 1
Yannick Ngakoue – Round 3
Mario Addison – Undrafted
Aaron Donald – Round 1
Julius Peppers – Round 1
Terrell Suggs – Round 1
Melvin Ingram – Round 1
Khalil Mack – Round 1
Cam Wake – Undrafted
Von Miller – Round 1
Adrian Clayborn – Round 1
Jadaveon Clowney – Round 1

RBs – 6 in the 1st round, 5 in rounds 2-3, 9 in rounds 4-7 and UDFA
Pass Rushers – 14 in the 1st round, 3 in rounds 2-3, 3 in rounds 4-7 and UDFA

Barkley is a once in a generation, sure. But it's so much easier to find a late round RB than it is a pass rusher. And most of those pass rushers were taken top 10, a spot where the colts likely won't pick again for the next few years.

I like Saquon, but if the colts think Bradley Chubb is a stud, they can't pass on him for a position that simply isn't used as much in the NFL anymore.

If any y'all's trying to read the full thread, here.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/22/16913018/better-option-for-the-colts-signing-leveon-bell-or-drafting-saquon-barkley

I literally cannot believe that no one else liked this post. It screams good information. 

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Who?

There is not a single player in this draft, who will make more of a difference for the Colts than Barkley. 

There is no Freeney here. It’s possible there is a JPP, but it ain’t Chubb. 

It's too early for me to make this judgement. Right now, I really like Chubb. I also like Davenport and even Key, although either of those guys are for trade down scenarios (heck Chubb is as well).

If I'm taking Barkley before a potential star at Pass rush, Barkley's talent has to be MILES ahead of Chubb's, or whoever else it is we take at that spot. I just don't think it is, though my opinion may change as we go along the draft process. That's not a knock (at least not a major knock) at Saquon Barkley btw, I just think Chubb's an excellent player.

It also doesn't have to be Chubb. Minkah Fitzpatrick is also very good a the secondary spot (though I'd like him more if we knew he could play corner at the next level for sure, which he very well may). Plus any of the O line guys.

My point is, if the Colts think Bradley Chubb is of around or equal talent to Barkley, they should take the pass rusher. 

If the Colts think Barkley truly is a no doubter, hall of fame calibre player, and they don't like Chubb, or Fitzpatrick, or Nelson or whoever else that much, then by all means, draft Barkley. 

46 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

If they believe that then this franchise is doomed!

So by your reasoning if the Colts don't take Barkley this franchise is doomed?  The coin flips both ways.

Look, no one is saying Barkley is by no means not a great RB and may very well turn out that way but at this point the Colts need a pass rusher or two more than it needs a RB. It's not rocket science.

If McDaniels is named the head coach and brings the Patriots philosophy with him they have always used a RB by committee.

One thing the Pats were missing this season was that one pass rusher needed to get them in position for the playoffs. What did they do? They signed James Harrison and the dividends paid off immediately. Now look where they are at.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So by your reasoning if the Colts don't take Barkley this franchise is doomed?  The coin flips both ways.

Look, no one is saying Barkley is by no means not a great RB and may very well turn out that way but at this point the Colts need a pass rusher or two more than it needs a RB. It's not rocket science.

If McDaniels is named the head coach and brings the Patriots philosophy with him they have always used a RB by committee.

One thing the Pats were missing this season was that one pass rusher needed to get them in position for the playoffs. What did they do? They signed James Harrison and the dividends paid off immediately. Now look where they are at.

Figured one of you would take my comment completely out of context. 

I am going to make this very simple for you and everyone else. I do not think our front office stupid. They are intelligent, and understand football. That is why they will take Barkley, unless we get a very good offer to move back. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Figured one of you would take my comment completely out of context. 

I am going to make this very simple for you and everyone else. I do not think our front office stupid. They are intelligent, and understand football. That is why they will take Barkley, unless we get a very good offer to move back. 

You figured I would be the one? Not hardly. I do not need you to simplify anything for me. I am not stupid.

No one including you knows what will go down on draft day. All we have is our opinions on who we think will pay the most dividends.

You comment is talking out of both sides of your mouth. You say the front office is not stupid and then you come back with that is why they take Barkley. You don't have anymore clue that anyone else. Your inability to even debate this without respecting or at least understanding their points of view shows you are not willing to debate, just argue.

Talking down to others gets you nowhere.

7 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

The only player in the 2017 and 2018 drafts, I would take over Barkley is San Darnold. The rest of the field isn’t close to either Darnold or Barkley. 

Yikes I'm a fan of Barkley but Garrett would have been an easy choice, and Sam Darnold is not even the best QB in this class let alone #2 player in the last two drafts.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

James Harrison only played 1 game in the regular season and the Pats were easily in the playoffs, he did get 2 sacks but, they finished #10 in sacks so that number wasn't really bolstered by Harrison he also has 0 in the playoffs. The Pats just have a deep pass rush without any standouts.

I've been a member of the forum for a little over a month now and I have to admit that I can't wait to see the bedlam that takes place here once free agency and the draft actually get here. It's just January 25, the combine, college days, private workouts, free agency signing period are all still ahead of us and we are getting this adamant about why we should or shouldn't draft someone. I've said before, that right now I would take Chubb at 3, but I'm open minded enough to say let's at least have these events to get a better understanding of who we should take. To me it seems a little premature to say any player should or shouldn't the pick. Every year people get this wrong. Most experts were saying Trent Richardson was the next Adrian Peterson and I think we all know how that turned out. 

1 hour ago, ty4atd said:

James Harrison only played 1 game in the regular season and the Pats were easily in the playoffs, he did get 2 sacks but, they finished #10 in sacks so that number wasn't really bolstered by Harrison he also has 0 in the playoffs. The Pats just have a deep pass rush without any standouts.

Harrison may not have any sacks in the playoffs but his presence on the field requires the offense to be very aware of him. In turn other rushers are not double teamed. He also brings pressure onto the QB's he is facing.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Harrison may not have any sacks in the playoffs but his presence on the field requires the offense to be very aware of him. In turn other rushers are not double teamed. He also brings pressure onto the QB's he is facing.

He's only playing less than half of the snaps in the playoffs so far, I think teams are more worried about Flowers or Van Noy than Harrison.

6 hours ago, ty4atd said:

He's only playing less than half of the snaps in the playoffs so far, I think teams are more worried about Flowers or Van Noy than Harrison.

I don't think you understood what I was saying. Even tho he might be playing half the snaps he draws attention away from those guys you mentioned. If you don't think his presence on the field goes overlooked I can't agree at all.

21 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Have you seen Darnold play? He will fare the same as the rest of his USC qb brethren. There has not been a single qb out of USC to win a SB, and it will not change with him. Bust might be a stretch. Would say more like, forgettable.