Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For those that think we should go RB at 3....

This is pretty much gonna be the debate all till April. Whether or not we should take Barkley at 3, and specifically if an RBs value is worth  it in the first. 

For those that are in the take Barkley camp, consider this. This is a comment I found on Stampede Blue by user FatDT. Just cutting and pasting a portion (everything in bold is his comment).

Top 20 in rushing yardage:
Kareem Hunt – Round 3
Todd Gurley – Round 1
Le’Veon Bell – Round 2
Lesean McCoy – Round 2
Mark Ingram – Round 1
Jordan Howard – Round 5
Melvin Gordon – Round 1
Leonard Fournette – Round 1
CJ Anderson – Undrafted
Ezekiel Elliot – Round 1
Alex Collins – Round 5
Frank Gore – Round 3
Carlos Hyde – Round 2
Dion Lewis – Round 5
Marshawn Lynch – Round 1
Lamar Miller – Round 4
Devonta Freeman – Round 4
Isaiah Crowell – Undrafted
Latavius Murray – Round 6
Bilal Powell – Round 4

Top 20 in sacks:
Chandler Jones – Round 1
Calais Campbell – Round 2
Demarcus Lawrence – Round 2
Everson Griffin – Round 4
Cam Jordan – Round 1
Ryan Kerrigan – Round 1
Joey Bosa – Round 1
Ezekiel Ansah – Round 1
Cam Heyward – Round 1
Yannick Ngakoue – Round 3
Mario Addison – Undrafted
Aaron Donald – Round 1
Julius Peppers – Round 1
Terrell Suggs – Round 1
Melvin Ingram – Round 1
Khalil Mack – Round 1
Cam Wake – Undrafted
Von Miller – Round 1
Adrian Clayborn – Round 1
Jadaveon Clowney – Round 1

RBs – 6 in the 1st round, 5 in rounds 2-3, 9 in rounds 4-7 and UDFA
Pass Rushers – 14 in the 1st round, 3 in rounds 2-3, 3 in rounds 4-7 and UDFA

Barkley is a once in a generation, sure. But it's so much easier to find a late round RB than it is a pass rusher. And most of those pass rushers were taken top 10, a spot where the colts likely won't pick again for the next few years.

I like Saquon, but if the colts think Bradley Chubb is a stud, they can't pass on him for a position that simply isn't used as much in the NFL anymore.

If any y'all's trying to read the full thread, here.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/22/16913018/better-option-for-the-colts-signing-leveon-bell-or-drafting-saquon-barkley

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're not taking Barkley then we should be trading down.

I'm not really bothered about whether we take Barkley or not, I'll think he'll be good but we have needs elsewhere, but those needs could be filled with a slightly later 1st rounder and a few assets to go along with it.

I wouldn't like to use 3 on Chubb.

Barkley is such an intriguing talent, but I agree with you. Josh McDaniel's time with the Patriots never really placed heavy value on RB talent. Versatility seems more of a priority. Maybe that won't be the same here, but I'd be surprised. 

The Colts desperately need a top-flight pass rusher. Barkley is the more exciting pick, but Chubb is my pick. I'm not totally sold that the Giants go QB. That could shake things up.  

2 minutes ago, ColtJ82 said:

Barkley is such an intriguing talent, but I agree with you. Josh McDaniel's time with the Patriots never really placed heavy value on RB talent. Versatility seems more of a priority. Maybe that won't be the same here, but I'd be surprised. 

The Colts desperately need a top-flight pass rusher. Barkley is the more exciting pick, but Chubb is my pick. I'm not totally sold that the Giants go QB. That could shake things up.  

Giants already got a pretty okay D tho. They were really good in 2016. I feel like if they don't go QB, it has to be RB or Oline.

30 minutes ago, SevaColt said:

I'm betting the Rams release Tavon Austin. Didn't use him at all last year , 13 rec - 47 yards,  59 rushes - 270 yards. A coach or offense that knows how to use him he'd go off. He'd be a good fit with McDaniels 

Uh we already have a Tavon Austin

And he's way better

5 hours ago, SevaColt said:

I'm betting the Rams release Tavon Austin. Didn't use him at all last year , 13 rec - 47 yards,  59 rushes - 270 yards. A coach or offense that knows how to use him he'd go off. He'd be a good fit with McDaniels 

Sean McVay is pretty good.  People keep waiting for Austin to live up to his draft position....he isn't going to.

21 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

If Le'Veon Bell goes to the highest bidder, let it be us.
Please, no stupid comments about his staying with Steelers.

No stupid comments about him being Tagged as the Steelers have already mentioned?

Please, no stupid comments on spending 11+ million per year on a RB.

11 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Giants already got a pretty okay D tho. They were really good in 2016. I feel like if they don't go QB, it has to be RB or Oline.

Just from browsing the Giants forum, plenty are in the boat of wanting Chubb to replace JPP. Barkley is a favorite atm based on the posts I’ve read as some believe Webb may develop and is better than what they are going to find in round 2. I could also see them trading back and acquiring a future first.

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

Sean McVay is pretty good.  People keep waiting for Austin to live up to his draft position....he isn't going to.

Speaking of Tavon Austin I think he would be a good run after the catch type of guy for the system that we will be running.    I wonder?

I think QB is very high on Giants board. I think they want Eli to mentor a young qb...but I still would put even money on them taking Barkley themselves and addressing OL in free agency and loading up to take a shot at Dallas and Philly. I would not be the least bit surprised that they take Barkley with first pick and don't trade back up into the 20s or so and get a qb like Jackson, Rudolph, or Mayfield....just comes down to how much push back Eli crew gives them and how good they think Rosen/Darnold will be.

Here's the thing. I don't think anyone is saying 'Hey, I got an idea, let's go RB at number 3!"

they're saying, hey, Barkley is considered the best player in the draft by many experts. LET'S TAKE BARKLEY at three. 

there's a difference. 

years ago we picked Marshall Faulk at number 2. was a pretty good pick (even if a lot of his career was in St. Louis)

6 hours ago, Indy Fan said:

Just from browsing the Giants forum, plenty are in the boat of wanting Chubb to replace JPP. Barkley is a favorite atm based on the posts I’ve read as some believe Webb may develop and is better than what they are going to find in round 2. I could also see them trading back and acquiring a future first.

The thing with the Giants is they don't really have a RB on their roster who could be a starter for any other team in the NFL. Picking Barkley might be on their mind if he is there past the Browns.

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think QB is very high on Giants board. I think they want Eli to mentor a young qb...but I still would put even money on them taking Barkley themselves and addressing OL in free agency and loading up to take a shot at Dallas and Philly. I would not be the least bit surprised that they take Barkley with first pick and don't trade back up into the 20s or so and get a qb like Jackson, Rudolph, or Mayfield....just comes down to how much push back Eli crew gives them and how good they think Rosen/Darnold will be.

I can see that scenario. Eli's play last year was not what the problems they had were. Eli had no weapons at all to work with. Both top receivers were out and absolutely no running game what so ever. After seeing their RBs on their roster I highly doubt there was one who could even start on another teams roster.

11 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

If Le'Veon Bell goes to the highest bidder, let it be us.
Please, no stupid comments about his staying with Steelers.

Now if a top RB is on the Colts mind why spend anything on Bell?  If that is their mindset go ahead and draft Barkley and pay him rookie wage scale. You bring up stupid? That is exactly what the Colts would be if they signed Bell.

23 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

This is pretty much gonna be the debate all till April. Whether or not we should take Barkley at 3, and specifically if an RBs value is worth  it in the first. 

For those that are in the take Barkley camp, consider this. This is a comment I found on Stampede Blue by user FatDT. Just cutting and pasting a portion (everything in bold is his comment).

Top 20 in rushing yardage:
Kareem Hunt – Round 3
Todd Gurley – Round 1
Le’Veon Bell – Round 2
Lesean McCoy – Round 2
Mark Ingram – Round 1
Jordan Howard – Round 5
Melvin Gordon – Round 1
Leonard Fournette – Round 1
CJ Anderson – Undrafted
Ezekiel Elliot – Round 1
Alex Collins – Round 5
Frank Gore – Round 3
Carlos Hyde – Round 2
Dion Lewis – Round 5
Marshawn Lynch – Round 1
Lamar Miller – Round 4
Devonta Freeman – Round 4
Isaiah Crowell – Undrafted
Latavius Murray – Round 6
Bilal Powell – Round 4

Top 20 in sacks:
Chandler Jones – Round 1
Calais Campbell – Round 2
Demarcus Lawrence – Round 2
Everson Griffin – Round 4
Cam Jordan – Round 1
Ryan Kerrigan – Round 1
Joey Bosa – Round 1
Ezekiel Ansah – Round 1
Cam Heyward – Round 1
Yannick Ngakoue – Round 3
Mario Addison – Undrafted
Aaron Donald – Round 1
Julius Peppers – Round 1
Terrell Suggs – Round 1
Melvin Ingram – Round 1
Khalil Mack – Round 1
Cam Wake – Undrafted
Von Miller – Round 1
Adrian Clayborn – Round 1
Jadaveon Clowney – Round 1

RBs – 6 in the 1st round, 5 in rounds 2-3, 9 in rounds 4-7 and UDFA
Pass Rushers – 14 in the 1st round, 3 in rounds 2-3, 3 in rounds 4-7 and UDFA

Barkley is a once in a generation, sure. But it's so much easier to find a late round RB than it is a pass rusher. And most of those pass rushers were taken top 10, a spot where the colts likely won't pick again for the next few years.

I like Saquon, but if the colts think Bradley Chubb is a stud, they can't pass on him for a position that simply isn't used as much in the NFL anymore.

If any y'all's trying to read the full thread, here.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/22/16913018/better-option-for-the-colts-signing-leveon-bell-or-drafting-saquon-barkley

Doesn't matter where we pick a running back, eh?

Yeah, because every one of these running backs made it big in the NFL:

http://footballdungeon.com/draft-results/2016-nfl-draft-results/

4 1 Cowboys Ezekiel Elliott RB Ohio State 2
45 2 Titans Derrick Henry RB Alabama 48
73 3 Dolphins Kenyan Drake RB Alabama 86
90 3 Seahawks C.J. Prosise RB Notre Dame 70
119 4 Texans Tyler Ervin RB San Jose State 182
134 4 Ravens Kenneth Dixon RB Louisiana Tech 71
136 4 Broncos Devontae Booker RB Utah 89
143 5 Raiders DeAndre Washington RB Texas Tech 107
149 5 Giants Paul Perkins RB UCLA 66
150 5 Bears Jordan Howard RB Indiana 44
153 5 Eagles Wendell Smallwood RB West Virginia 111
156 5 Bills Jonathan Williams RB Arkansas 170
171 5 Seahawks Alex Collins RB Arkansas 109
182 6 Ravens Keenan Reynolds RB Navy 283
211 6 49ers Kelvin Taylor RB Florida 225
216 6 Cowboys Darius Jackson RB Eastern Michigan 272
236 7 Lions Dwayne Washington RB Washington 184
237 7 Saints Daniel Lasco RB California 249
242 7 Redskins Keith Marshall RB Georgia 269
247 7 Seahawks Zac Brooks RB Clemson 300

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing with the Giants is they don't really have a RB on their roster who could be a starter for any other team in the NFL. Picking Barkley might be on their mind if he is there past the Browns.

Makes sense but they could also look to address the need through FA. Personally I hope they take him so our pick becomes more valuable. The only consensus on the board is resigning Fluker and shipping out Apple/JPP.

6 hours ago, Gigc said:

Here's the thing. I don't think anyone is saying 'Hey, I got an idea, let's go RB at number 3!"

they're saying, hey, Barkley is considered the best player in the draft by many experts. LET'S TAKE BARKLEY at three. 

there's a difference. 

years ago we picked Marshall Faulk at number 2. was a pretty good pick (even if a lot of his career was in St. Louis)

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Now if a top RB is on the Colts mind why spend anything on Bell?  If that is their mindset go ahead and draft Barkley and pay him rookie wage scale. You bring up stupid? That is exactly what the Colts would be if they signed Bell.

People don't want the Colts using their 3rd overall pick on Saquon Barkley, but they are willing to throw $14 million a year in for Bell. The day the Colts pay a running back that much money is the day I stop watching this team.

Take Saquon and you get the younger and better back for one third the price.

1 minute ago, KING. said:

People don't want the Colts using their 3rd overall pick on Saquon Barkley, but they are willing to throw $14 million a year in for Bell. The day the Colts pay a running back that much money is the day I stop watching this team.

Take Saquon and you get the younger and better back for one third the price.

Stop making so much sense!!!!

You're going to give outsiders the wrong idea of this place. 

8 minutes ago, KING. said:

I mean, he's got the tools. He still needs to go out there and prove it, but I would take Barkley with the third pick way before overspending on an RB in free agency.

I agreeHe more than tools. He reminds me of Edgerrin James. Everything about him. 

A generational running back to go along with our generational quarterback.

It's not hard to think about. A child could make the Colts pick this April. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

I agree. He more than tools. He reminds me of Edgerrin James. Everything about him. 

A generational running back to go along with our generational quarterback.

It's not hard to think about. A child could make the Colts pick this April. 

So if Ballard don't take him he is a child?  Very mature of you to say that. lmao