Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Belichick-Bill Parcells relationship: 30 for 30: The Two Bills to air Feb 1

CF4L

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/22/bill-belichick-bill-parcells-relationship-gets-the-30-for-30-treatment/

Bill Belichick-Bill Parcells relationship gets the 30 for 30 treatment

Bill Belichick is getting ready to try to win his sixth Super Bowl with the Patriots. But a victory at Super Bowl LII would actually earn Belichick his eighth Super Bowl ring, as he won two as defensive coordinator for Bill Parcells with the Giants.

The long relationship between Belichick and Parcells is explored in the new 30 for 30 documentary The Two Bills, which premieres on ESPN on February 1. It details the decades-long relationship with the two men, which started when Belichick applied for a job on Parcells’ staff at Air Force, moved to Belichick working for Parcells with the Giants, saw them coach against each other when Belichick was in Cleveland and Parcells was in New England, and then saw Belichick work for Parcells again with the Jets before leaving for the Patriots.

The documentary alternates back and forth between NFL Films footage of their time coaching in the 1980s and 1990s, and a recent joint interview the two men gave. Both men seem to agree that Parcells was the better coach when it came to relating to and motivating players, while Belichick was the superior strategist. Parcells credits Belichick for the game plans that shut down Bill Walsh’s offense in San Francisco and Joe Gibbs’ offense in Washington. Belichick says in the recent interview that he appreciates Parcells calling him aside from time to time and teaching him other aspects of being a head coach.

“I so appreciate what you did, Bill,” Belichick told Parcells. “Periodically I’d go into your office and you’d say, ‘I just want you to know what’s going on.’ . . . The draft, maybe a player’s got a discipline problem or a contract problem, when you’re a defensive coordinator you don’t know about all that, but Bill would tell me what’s going on. I really appreciate you doing that. It helped open my eyes to some things that I really wasn’t playing much attention to.”

Belichick and Parcells also have a remarkably detailed memory of game plans. They both could recall exactly how Belichick proposed running the dime as the base defense to stop the Lions’ run and shoot offense in 1990, and how Parcells thought running the dime as a base defense was ridiculous. And then they simultaneously smiled as they remembered how the Giants ended up beating the Lions 20-0.

Parcells controversially jumped from the Patriots to the Jets in 1997, and Patriots owner Robert Kraft says in the documentary that the NFL basically allowed the Jets to get away with tampering with Parcells. Kraft, who would later feud with the league office over Deflategate, first began to question the integrity of the league office over its handling of the Parcells transition.

“It also told me that the league office was not as pure as I might have thought,” Kraft said. “I think the league office tacitly blessed it and told them how to do it.”

For his part, Parcells sounds regretful, wondering if he could have lasted as long in New England and had the same success as Belichick if only he would have developed a better rapport with Kraft.

“If I had just been a little bit smarter about it and a little bit more diplomatic I think it probably would have worked out. Maybe not to the extent it did for Bill, but I think it could have worked out better,” Parcells said.

That “maybe not” is an extraordinary admission from Parcells. He’s a Hall of Fame coach, but he has to admit that in the end, his protege Belichick has had even greater success. Parcells sounds both proud of that and a little jealous, as a competitor who always wanted to be the best. That’s the kind of relationship the two Bills had.

Can't wait to see the infamous press conference by the NYJ President (Gutman) where he declares BB somewhat insane by saying “I think we listened for an hour and a half to someone in turmoil.”....

I guess "one man's trash is another man's treasure".

For those who aren't familiar, here is a link about the whole fiasco....

https://nypost.com/2004/01/16/the-great-escape-belichick-knew-what-he-was-doing-when-he-bolted-jets/

15 hours ago, IcEWoLF said:

It’s gonna be fun to see what they have to say and how Kraft decided to go with B.B over Parcell.

This is not what happened.

Parcells had already bolted on Kraft 4 yrs earlier with the infamous "they want you to cook the dinner but they won't let you shop for the groceries" presser.

In 2000, Parcells retired as Jet's HC to become the GM....and he named BB as his successor (as HC).  The next day, BB was to be introduced to the media as Jets HC.  Instead, BB stunned them all by saying "I resign as HC of the NYJ" at the press conference.

In the end, Kraft had to give up draft pick(s) to get BB, but essentially, Kraft had already hired BB.

21 hours ago, GoPats said:

Personally I think this is going to be really fascinating. 

I do too. It reminds me of Bobby Knight and Mike Krzyzewski. How the younger learned from the mentor and then took that and went on to even greater things. Parcells was actually Coach at Army the same time and him and Knight have been life long friends. Actually an article was written a few years about it. Most of what I know is from autobiographies I've read but this article gives a brief rundown. Let's just say people don't get where they are all on their own...and yet sometimes your greatest accomplishment is not something you actually accomplish yourself.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/how-the-belichick-parcells-relationship-mirrors-coach-k-and-knights/

3 hours ago, Reality Check said:

This is not what happened.

Parcells had already bolted on Kraft 4 yrs earlier with the infamous "they want you to cook the dinner but they won't let you shop for the groceries" presser.

In 2000, Parcells retired as Jet's HC to become the GM....and he named BB as his successor (as HC).  The next day, BB was to be introduced to the media as Jets HC.  Instead, BB stunned them all by saying "I resign as HC of the NYJ" at the press conference.

In the end, Kraft had to give up draft pick(s) to get BB, but essentially, Kraft had already hired BB.

Yeah that was some stunning stuff....first Parcells jilting the Pats to coach the Jets and then the reversal. I guess it all worked out for the best in the end but would be interesting to see what would have happened if Parcells stayed in NE and Bellichick in NY.

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah that was some stunning stuff....first Parcells jilting the Pats to coach the Jets and then the reversal. I guess it all worked out for the best in the end but would be interesting to see what would have happened if Parcells stayed in NE and Bellichick in NY.

As a Pats fan, I was SO depressed that our big week in NO (SB31) was tarnished by the fact that Parcells spent the week finalizing a deal to go to our biggest rival.  the game itself was so anti-climactic knowing Parcells was gone the minute the game ended.

In my wildest dreams, I never would have guessed things would play out the way they did.  SO glad BB di dnot stay with the NYJ!!

32 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

As a Pats fan, I was SO depressed that our big week in NO (SB31) was tarnished by the fact that Parcells spent the week finalizing a deal to go to our biggest rival.  the game itself was so anti-climactic knowing Parcells was gone the minute the game ended.

In my wildest dreams, I never would have guessed things would play out the way they did.  SO glad BB di dnot stay with the NYJ!!

I was a bit too young, when I was little I didn’t follow football much. I did enjoy basketball :)

But when I started getting older I came around football and started following the pats like my dad. I wasn’t really much into football until I started high school.

These days I put football and basketball on the same level.

I miss the old Paul Pierce days with Antoine Walker days.

23 minutes ago, IcEWoLF said:

I was a bit too young, when I was little I didn’t follow football much. I did enjoy basketball :)

But when I started getting older I came around football and started following the pats like my dad. I wasn’t really much into football until I started high school.

These days I put football and basketball on the same level.

I miss the old Paul Pierce days with Antoine Walker days.

Wow....you are very young! If your a Boston fan and those are the days you remember....very very telling of your age. hahaYou guys have had so much sports fortune its crazy. Obviously in Indiana almost everyone grew up following Basketball as the main focus of their everyday life. I mean we have high school gymnasiums that seat more then most college teams and the whole town would attend ball games. Bus rides with lines of cars and buses bringing fans to games...and a hoop in every drive way and whether it was IU, ND, or PU you had a great college team and coach to follow. Then the Colts came to town and it was intriguing....but still football was little brother. Then came Peyton....and now almost 1 in 10 kids (boy or girl) are named after the guy...and football has made a huge inroad into the hearts of Indiana. When it comes to professional sports its no doubt football takes the cake....but HS and College Basketball nothing will ever take the place in my heart. It's soothing...like a bowl of potato soup on a cold day...just makes you feel nice and warm on the inside.

23 hours ago, GoPats said:

Personally I think this is going to be really fascinating. 

Exactly, this documentary is gonna be must see TV required viewing, especially since BB surpassed his mentor in terms of hardware. Plus, since the Giants are 2nd favorite team to watch--Colts, G-men, Pats--I am obligated to not miss this in depth analysis of their relationship. 

I just remember when Bill was DC & asked Parcels for clarification on how to tweak the defense & the Tuna just yells "Just fix the darn thing & stop somebody." Parcels wasn't the best at letting staff know what to do. This flick will just make the hoodie look smarter than he already is--If that's even possible. 

I still remember Bill talking to Brady once about the Giants. They never change. They run the ball & come after your QB. LOL! 

Calling BB's departure from the Jets "THE GREAT ESCAPE ;" still makes me roar with laughter no matter how many times I read that headline. Yep, other than Broadway Joe, when hasn't gang green sucked? It just adds to BB's mystique. 

It will interesting to hear Kraft's early assessment of BB as DC, HC, & GM. 

So, does this mean that Bill leaving the Jets high & dry is the equivalent to Red tunneling out of Shawshank Prison with a tiny pick axe? You're God darn right. 

I hope the subject of Lawrence Taylor comes up too. I know BB had a problem with all the passes & excuses Tuna's staff gave him regarding falling asleep in meetings or showing up to practice hung over. I think that issue helped BB form the Patriots Way or team first concept where nobody on the roster is immune from criticism. 

Here's what I wonder about. Where did BB perfect his grunting, minimal answer press conferences? Cleveland? Because Parcels never shied away from telling you what was on his mind especially when the Tuna was mad or ticked off. 

How would the hoodie describe his speaking style? Need to know basis & you know nothing that interests or amuses me? LOL! And just when I'm about ignore you completely, you actually say something worthwhile.

Bill reminds me INDIANA Jones talking to his dad in "The Last Crusade" We haven't talked in 25 yrs dad. I learned that dead languages mean more to you than people. You left just when you were getting interesting. What do you wanna talk about then? Nothing. Then, what are you complaining about Jr.? LOL! 

Hey, Bill does understand that these film makers expect him to elaborate right? He's aware that the press conference approach won't work correct? 

Man, I hope BB delves into his GM role or what he looks for in QBs & pass rushers. That's what I want a window into--the evaluation process & when to cut a guy with no remorse or reservations. System vs athlete. 

How does he take older guys like Corey Dillion, Jr. Seau, etc. & give their careers a jolt of life? Marvin Lewis is the only other coach who can take bad apples from other teams & get the most out of them. 

Probably outside the scope of 30 For 30, but that's what I really wanna know. 

Off topic: Hey IWF, 

I miss your MeMe NFL captions. You are hilarious man! Plus, you always poke fun at your Pats first which then allows you to comically slam all other franchises. 

It's cool. I get it. You're probably preoccupied with work & girlfriend duties. No worries. 

I hope Josh McDaniels doesn't develop an "And um" mantra at Colt press conferences BTW. Sorry Jimmy, still love ya man. Just sayin'. 

It was Belichick's game plan on Defense (as DC) to let Thurman get his Yards and not let the Bills control the game with their passing game in SB 25. Bills had a high powered Passing Offense but the Giants mainly keyed on that. It took more time off the clock for the Bills to score using Thurman a lot and worked in NY's favor. Bills IMO had the better team that season but let NY hang around and then it came down to FG. After that we know the story.

20 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Here's what I wonder about. Where did BB perfect his grunting, minimal answer press conferences? Cleveland?

It was in Cleveland. Art Modell, owner of the Browns (Ravens at the time this happened), even sent Robert Kraft tapes of Belichick press conferences with the Browns and said 'if you hire him, it will be the biggest mistake of your life'.

On 1/24/2018 at 1:12 PM, dgambill said:

I do too. It reminds me of Bobby Knight and Mike Krzyzewski. How the younger learned from the mentor and then took that and went on to even greater things. Parcells was actually Coach at Army the same time and him and Knight have been life long friends. Actually an article was written a few years about it. Most of what I know is from autobiographies I've read but this article gives a brief rundown. Let's just say people don't get where they are all on their own...and yet sometimes your greatest accomplishment is not something you actually accomplish yourself.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/how-the-belichick-parcells-relationship-mirrors-coach-k-and-knights/

Great read, thank you for the link! 

On 1/24/2018 at 2:57 PM, southwest1 said:

Exactly, this documentary is gonna be must see TV required viewing, especially since BB surpassed his mentor in terms of hardware. Plus, since the Giants are 2nd favorite team to watch--Colts, G-men, Pats--I am obligated to not miss this in depth analysis of their relationship. 

I just remember when Bill was DC & asked Parcels for clarification on how to tweak the defense & the Tuna just yells "Just fix the darn thing & stop somebody." Parcels wasn't the best at letting staff know what to do. This flick will just make the hoodie look smarter than he already is--If that's even possible. 

I still remember Bill talking to Brady once about the Giants. They never change. They run the ball & come after your QB. LOL! 

Such a great dynamic between these two, I think this is going to be an amazing episode. 

Always good to "see" you SW, hope all is great in your world! 

1 hour ago, GoPats said:

Such a great dynamic between these two, I think this is going to be an amazing episode. 

Always good to "see" you SW, hope all is great in your world! 

I agree GP. I am fascinated by different management styles. People that delegate, people that yell, people that convey I entrusted you with this role figure it out. 

You're a good dude man & very funny. I never forget people who make me laugh. I'm okay. I hope your FAM [family] is doing alright.  

I found it very interesting that Kraft spoke to the fact that the NFL "wanted Parcells coaching the Jets" and help choreograph Tuna's move to the Jets (from NE).  For those who remember, the week leading up to SB31 was filled with stories that Parcells had already agreed to leave NE for the Jets.

Lot's of other interesting tales of the NFL's involvement re. Parcells and the largest NFL market (NYC).

Those who are skeptical of the NFL's agenda SHOULD BE....

I thought it was an amazing show, really showed a side of BOTH guys that we don't get to see often, if at all. Learning about all the dynamics behind each situation... Parcells getting to NY... winning those SBs with the Giants... moving on to the Patriots, Jets, then back to the Patriots with Parcells eventually ending up in Dallas for a while... 

It was also great hearing LT and Carson talk about how it took a couple of seasons to really trust Belichick. And those defenses the Giants had did some amazing things (like holding SF to 3 points and then shutting out the Redskins in the '86 playoffs). 

A great watch!    Must See TV!

Beluchick is the greatest HC of all time and Parcells is top 15 or so...   two brilliant people.    

And the comments from all all their former assistants and players really elevate the piece and help give the relationship the needed context...

Highest recommendation!