Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Destiny for the next Patriots tri-fecta

chad72

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Question for the Pats fans (@JimJaime, @GoPats, @Flying Elvis, @-JJ-): are you worried about the contributions Blount and Chris Long can make to the Eagles gameplans?  On the one hand, one can claim there isn't anything they can contribute that the Eagles coaches wouldn't already have access to from a season's worth of game film, so it's a non-issue.  On the other hand, maybe they know some tendencies and things to look out for?  Thoughts?

Nah. This team is not last year's team. Besides, the Pats change game plan/scheme weekly. If there was anything helpful it would be to save something for the 4th quarter.

2 hours ago, Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers said:

Having a coach who is willing to adjust his game plan...:thinking:wonder what the will look and feel like next year   :jump:    lmao 

I’m thinking McD might just bring a little of this to Indy.

I don't know, McDaniels' head coaching tenure in Denver still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Seemed to have lost control of the team and had set them back a couple years until the Broncos found a get out of jail free card in Peyton. Maybe he will have learned from that and matured a bit as he goes to Indy.

But if he bombs out with the Colts I'd imagine he'd be on the next flight back to New England and they'd probably go for another collection of Lombardis as Brady tries to push 50.

31 minutes ago, buffalo34 said:
3 hours ago, Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers said:

Having a coach who is willing to adjust his game plan...:thinking:wonder what the will look and feel like next year   :jump:    lmao 

I’m thinking McD might just bring a little of this to Indy.

I don't know, McDaniels' head coaching tenure in Denver still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Seemed to have lost control of the team and had set them back a couple years until the Broncos found a get out of jail free card in Peyton. Maybe he will have learned from that and matured a bit as he goes to Indy.

But if he bombs out with the Colts I'd imagine he'd be on the next flight back to New England and they'd probably go for another collection of Lombardis as Brady tries to push 50.

You might be right on all fronts.  Im just being glass half full.   Even though I cannot stand the Pats, they are stellar at adjustments, halftime or other.  I want to be able to clearly see that with the colts week in and week out. Fingers crossed that we get that with McD.

Hey all, the controversy is not really over the maybe PI or the other penalties the Jags got.  It's over the fact that the Pats had zero, count them zero , penalties in an entire NFL game on Offense or Defense.  That means they never held, made illegal contact, or any number of things that players do.  That is what the fuss I am hearing is about and I laugh at all the conspiracy theory folks out there, but seriously.  You are telling me this Pats team is sooooo good they didn't commit a single penalty the entire game on offense or defense.  nonsense.  I call nonsense on that.  Conspiracy, no.  Lack of call against the Pats.  Definitely.  And I don't care if you are a Pats fan, if you cannot see that the majority of the time the Pats get some of the most amazing calls, or lack of calls, then you are blind.  Tuck rule anyone.  Now that most likely happens because they are so good.  I watched the Colts get calls like that and even against the Pats.  Can anyone say bobbled ball on 4th down that gave the ball to the Colts and also the game.  I seen no bobbled ball.  I saw a 1st down catch, but that's just me.  Some people need to understand that great players and teams will get the calls.  That's a fact Jack.  Always has been and always will be.  I hate the Pats.  Not because they are good, not because of Brady, and no because of BB.  I hate the Pats because the fans are as obnoxious as they come, present company may be excluded.  I do not know you, but from past board experiences, Pats fans are the most obnoxious fans in the world.  Not just Pats fans, Boston fans in general.  Celtic, Redsox, Pats.  I have found most of the fans on the forums are just irritating.  Of course I am sure they mean to be, but that is my opinion.

21 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I can't say I agree with Sherman.  If he wanted to, I think Church could have aimed to hit Gronk's arm with his shoulder and wrapped him up.  But then you can argue that Church is just trying to do his job and deliver a big enough hit to knock the ball out, which he can't do if he wraps Gronk up.  Tough call on this one.

Going by precedent, I don't think this was a "bad" call at all though, which is sort of what my point was. People are making it sound like the Patriots were gifted 15 yards on this play but Church clearly hit him helmet-to-helmet. My impression is that intent doesn't really matter with these things, again based on precedent. 

I hear what Sherman is saying though, it's very difficult for DBs these days. Crowds don't get all worked up and your team doesn't get all jacked if you make a wrap-up tackle. 

21 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Question for the Pats fans (@JimJaime, @GoPats, @Flying Elvis, @-JJ-): are you worried about the contributions Blount and Chris Long can make to the Eagles gameplans?  On the one hand, one can claim there isn't anything they can contribute that the Eagles coaches wouldn't already have access to from a season's worth of game film, so it's a non-issue.  On the other hand, maybe they know some tendencies and things to look out for?  Thoughts?

Not really too concerned. I think at this point in the year, you know your opponents pretty well. It's a matter of execution when it comes to the playoffs, IMO. 

The only thing I think they could glean would be individual tendencies. Long went up against Nate Solder in practice for an entire season. So if Solder has a weakness, or a tell, or something like that... then maybe. But I would say on the whole, it's kind of a  non-factor. 

20 hours ago, csmopar said:

Grrr you're still missing the dang point. 

My whole dang point is that I think it's freaking pitiful that fans can't/won't sit back and appreciate the historical run the Patriots are because of all the controversies, made up or other wise. I'm not saying there is a legit one but it's all over the web about the refs and the calls. I'm saying I'm FREAKING SICK of always hearing one every time they win.

In other words Ding Dong, I'm pretty much on your side on this one.

Oh man, lol... sorry. My bad on this one. I was totally missing the dang point, you're right. :lol:

My bad! 

22 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

No I'm not. I'm more worried about the Eagles in general. They have a good team.

The Eagles are due but being due for a long time doesn't make it true.

As usual it will come down to execution and no one can predict that.

If both teams execute flawlessly I guess it will come down to has the ball last :)

BTW I'm not a fan of who has a player that played once played for the opponent being played. Game film will always supersedes anything they could contribute. Their might be a couple of tidbits but..........

5 hours ago, GoPats said:

Not really too concerned. I think at this point in the year, you know your opponents pretty well. It's a matter of execution when it comes to the playoffs, IMO. 

The only thing I think they could glean would be individual tendencies. Long went up against Nate Solder in practice for an entire season. So if Solder has a weakness, or a tell, or something like that... then maybe. But I would say on the whole, it's kind of a  non-factor. 

Actually I kind of expect the Eagles to win. lol.

They just have too much fire power unless they self destruct.

The only reason we are here is coaching. The front seven? Who the heck are they?

Brady has two receivers he can trust- Amedola and Gronk (who's a tight end)

True they have RB's who can catch. 

The oline is so so and thats' all coaching from what's his name. (can't spell it lol)

We have Brady but Eagle's D line is fast and physical.

I didn't expect they'd even get this far but Belichick's coaching has been awesome this year so maybe one more game he can do something.

10 hours ago, -JJ- said:

The only reason we are here is coaching the grace of God. 

Lol there ya go. Don't ask questions just accept it.

Since the 2014 playoffs The Patriots have played two complete game from start to finish? Against the Titans and Steelers. The rest are a bunch of Patriots finally playing in the 4th while the other team forgets how to play in the 4th. Well you guys destroyed us in the 2nd half... but still Ravens, Texans, Seahawks, Falcons, Jaguars, has basically been the same game on re-run. Kinda hard to think the Eagles will fare any differently. 

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:58 PM, chad72 said:

2001, 2003 and 2004 SB wins capped off vs the Eagles before Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel left.

2014, 2016 and 2017 SB wins capped off vs the Eagles before Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia leave.

It is meant to be, I can see it from a distance. What Belichick and Brady have been able to achieve has to be given its due. It will never be seen in history again. The Brady 6 was a list of 6 QBs chosen before him in the draft, now the Brady 6 will have a new meaning. That team is so well coached, they don't beat themselves over 60 minutes often.

Stinks to despise them and still see them do well but will give credit where credit is due, I guess. :scratch:

This thread, as posted, was actually interesting until it turned into a penalty discussion. Here's another interesting fact that was overlooked by your original post. In the first 3 SB's the Pats won the 3rd team was in fact the Eagles(Rams, Panthers, Eagles) and the last three we're (Seahawks, Falcons and Eagles). What's also weird is that the Rams(1st) and the Seahawks(4th) play in same division. The Panthers(2nd) and the Falcons(5th) each play in the south. Eagles(3rd) and (6th) in the East.... Now that's freaky

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

This thread, as posted, was actually interesting until it turned into a penalty discussion. Here's another interesting fact that was overlooked by your original post. In the first 3 SB's the Pats won the 3rd team was in fact the Eagles(Rams, Panthers, Eagles) and the last three we're (Seahawks, Falcons and Eagles). What's also weird is that the Rams(1st) and the Seahawks(4th) play in same division. The Panthers(2nd) and the Falcons(5th) each play in the south. Eagles(3rd) and (6th) in the East.... Now that's freaky

That is something this pattern lover really appreciates, good one. :thmup:

6-6-6 - 6 for Brady (the 6th rounder), 6 for Belichick, 6 for the Patriots, adds to 18 which represents the number of years Brady and Belichick have been together for. :Nuke:

15 hours ago, -JJ- said:

Actually I kind of expect the Eagles to win. lol.

They just have too much fire power unless they self destruct.

The only reason we are here is coaching. The front seven? Who the heck are they?

Brady has two receivers he can trust- Amedola and Gronk (who's a tight end)

True they have RB's who can catch. 

The oline is so so and thats' all coaching from what's his name. (can't spell it lol)

We have Brady but Eagle's D line is fast and physical.

I didn't expect they'd even get this far but Belichick's coaching has been awesome this year so maybe one more game he can do something.

You may be right but I don't think the Patriots are going to lose this one. And I think the "blueprint" everyone is talking about (what the Giants did in those Super Bowls) is also obsolete at this point. That was years ago, Brady is better mentally, and somehow he's just as good if not better physically, than he was back then. 

If Foles plays the way he did last weekend, obviously they'll be in trouble. But I think they're going to do a good enough job on D and the offense will come through with enough points to win. 

On January 22, 2018 at 5:21 AM, Chrisaaron1023 said:

R.I.P Philly. 

Don't even show up

If I'm being honest, you're probably right C-1023. I respect DC Jim Schwartz, Fletcher Cox, & pass rusher Chris Long. It would be cool to see Howie Long's son win back to back rings. However, I just don't believe QB Nick Foles can have back to back offensive juggernaut games. 

On January 22, 2018 at 5:59 AM, BOTT said:

So you are saying the patriots are good?  Huh....

Thanks for the belly roll sarcasm laugh. I needed that today. Thanks BOTT. 

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:58 PM, chad72 said:

2001, 2003 and 2004 SB wins capped off vs the Eagles before Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel left.

2014, 2016 and 2017 SB wins capped off vs the Eagles before Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia leave.

It is meant to be, I can see it from a distance. What Belichick and Brady have been able to achieve has to be given its due. It will never be seen in history again. The Brady 6 was a list of 6 QBs chosen before him in the draft, now the Brady 6 will have a new meaning. That team is so well coached, they don't beat themselves over 60 minutes often.

Stinks to despise them and still see them do well but will give credit where credit is due, I guess. :scratch:

Fix is in.

What I wonder about is this. I accept that NE will win it's 6th ring--A tremendous milestone. But, here's what I'm curious about. How long does BB wanna continue coaching? Does he really want to start over with a new OC & DC next yr? Are Bill & Brady gonna retire together? 

Look, I respect the NE dynasty. I truly do. I just think that after 6 rings what's left to achieve. Answer: Nothing. 

Part of me wishes Robert would have kept Jimmy G. & started him next yr just to see if Bill could win a ring without Brady. 

Also, to Brady's credit, he broke the Tom Coughlin curse too. True, Coughlin's in the Jag's front office now vs sidelines...But, both Tom & Bill deserve credit for defeating their old BIG Blue nemesis IMO. 

When BB gets his HOF jacket at Canton, it will fascinating to see if he mumbles thru his speech or actually uses full & glowing sentences about his owner, QB, & coordinators. Will he be wearing a suit or the classic hoodie?

I've heard that Bill uses dry wit to perfection among his closest friends & confidants. Will he actually be open, forthcoming, & friendly to reporters? The plot thickens. haha Just joking! 

When BB is retired from football, I will miss all the Senator Palpatine/Emperor jokes. Even our WR Reggie Wayne said that Bill was a next level coach that prepares his players for every conceivable situation on the field. 

I may grow weary of losing to Bill all the time, but I will miss the guy & I do like his team based approach where even TB12 gets yelled at every now & then. 

4 hours ago, southwest1 said:

What I wonder about is this. I accept that NE will win it's 6th ring--A tremendous milestone. But, here's what I'm curious about. How long does BB wanna continue coaching? Does he really want to start over with a new OC & DC next yr? Are Bill & Brady gonna retire together? 

Look, I respect the NE dynasty. I truly do. I just think that after 6 rings what's left to achieve. Answer: Nothing. 

Part of me wishes Robert would have kept Jimmy G. & started him next yr just to see if Bill could win a ring without Brady. 

Also, to Brady's credit, he broke the Tom Coughlin curse too. True, Coughlin's in the Jag's front office now vs sidelines...But, both Tom & Bill deserve credit for defeating their old BIG Blue nemesis IMO. 

It is winding down but as long as Brady is still being Brady it will continue another 2... 3... 4... 5 years? I know the rest of the country are sick and tired of us but I'm not ready for it to end just yet. :D

Belichick loves a new challenge. In todays NFL, its new every year. This year's Patriots are much different than last year's. Injuries - Edelman and Hightower and free agency - Long and Blount necessitate bringing in new players.

Now that I think about it, this thing just might last another 10 years! :scoregood:

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

That is something this pattern lover really appreciates, good one. :thmup:

6-6-6 - 6 for Brady (the 6th rounder), 6 for Belichick, 6 for the Patriots, adds to 18 which represents the number of years Brady and Belichick have been together for. :Nuke:

Wow!! They really have sold their soul in NE.... -omg- 

30 minutes ago, Flying Elvis said:

It is winding down but as long as Brady is still being Brady it will continue another 2... 3... 4... 5 years? I know the rest of the country are sick and tired of us but I'm not ready for it to end just yet. :D

Belichick loves a new challenge. In todays NFL, its new every year. This year's Patriots are much different than last year's. Injuries - Edelman and Hightower and free agency - Long and Blount necessitate bringing in new players.

Now that I think about it, this thing just might last another 10 years! :scoregood:

Hey there FE, 

I don't blame wanting to ride the Brady/Belichick for as long as it lasts. We will never see this kind of championship run ever again in professional football. Ride her till she literally drops. It makes perfect sense. 

Because I admire his work ethic & longevity, I believe Brady has about 2 more yrs of elite football left in him. 3 is pushing it even if his diet & stretching are 2bd to none. The human frame can only withstand so much punishment before the body starts breaking down. 

11 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Lol there ya go. Don't ask questions just accept it.

Since the 2014 playoffs The Patriots have played two complete game from start to finish? Against the Titans and Steelers. The rest are a bunch of Patriots finally playing in the 4th while the other team forgets how to play in the 4th. Well you guys destroyed us in the 2nd half... but still Ravens, Texans, Seahawks, Falcons, Jaguars, has basically been the same game on re-run. Kinda hard to think the Eagles will fare any differently. 

It's not the grace of god. The game actually  is 4 quarters.

This is exactly how Belichick explained it.

There are some 60+ plays per game. Most of those goes as scripted. That is there will some pass completions and incomplete ones. There will be some 2 yard runs and some 6-8 yard runs etc etc.

Usually the game is often decided on 1-3 plays and usually late in the 4th qtr which you either make or don't. So you play for the right to make those plays late in the 4th qtr by keeping it reasonably close. There are of course the exceptions( the large come back with Atlanta)

He coaches his players to be in position and know what to expect on all plays even though maybe half you will never see in a full season. But at least you have some preparedness to them should they happen and can responded as opposed to panic or be out of position.

The Harmon INT in the Steeler game off a deflection by another NE player was not by accident or the grace of god.

So yeah it is coaching.

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Well a little scooe. Brady and his wife were with Jay Feeler (a good friend) and his wife a couple days ago.

Gizelle wants him to retire NOW.  

What do you have to play for. Brady told Jay there's maybe not a lot but there is that same slight chip on his shoulder from where he was drafted and wanted to prove them all wrong. It's shrunk a lot since then but there still some residue left lol.

Tom Brady's Pats have never scored a single point in the first quarter of any of their seven Super Bowl games.

Going back to their first SB with Brady here is what they did in the 3rd and 4th quarters up to including their last:

SB 36  3 + 3 

SB 38  0 +18

SB 39  7 + 10

SB 42  0 + 7

SB 46  7 + 0

SB 49 0 + 14

SB 51 6 + 19

14 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Tom Brady's Pats have never scored a single point in the first quarter of any of their seven Super Bowl games.

Going back to their first SB with Brady here is what they did in the 3rd and 4th quarters up to including their last:

SB 36  3 + 3 

SB 38  0 +18

SB 39  7 + 10

SB 42  0 + 7

SB 46  7 + 0

SB 49 0 + 14

SB 51 6 + 19

Yupp.. trend that proabably doesnt change next week. The eagles will jump early 14-0 and fade late.

21 hours ago, -JJ- said:

Well a little scooe. Brady and his wife were with Jay Feeler (a good friend) and his wife a couple days ago.

What do you have to play for. Brady told Jay there's maybe not a lot but there is that same slight chip on his shoulder from where he was drafted and wanted to prove them all wrong. It's shrunk a lot since then but there still some residue left lol.

If he wins a 6th, he is basically untouchable on the football mountain for a long long time, Gisele will step up her case, and rightfully so. What more can he do that he has not done to separate himself from the rest? The doubters will always sling something to doubt him but the supporters will always support him, and the ones who evaluate him objectively already know he has done everything he can to leave the other QBs in the dust w.r.t the combination of SB rings and regular season accolades. He could win the regular season MVP and SB MVP like Kurt Warner and call it a day.

No one has ever come back from 10 down in the 4th qtr. to win a SB, OK, I got this, Brady and the Patriots beat the Seahawks and win the SB.

No one has come back from a 25 pt. deficit, ever, and no game in SB history has gone to OT, OK, I got this, Brady and the Patriots win it by taking last year's SB to OT.

A regular season MVP has not win the SB since 1999, OK, I got this, Brady and the Patriots will win this year's SB after him being named MVP.

If it happens this way, what more can he possibly prove other than his trainer Guerrero can keep him going with the elixir of youth? :) 

On 1/24/2018 at 8:02 AM, Indeee said:

Interesting article in the Globe yesterday, same kind of idea, speculating that maybe - just maybe - this will be it for BB?

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/01/24/minnesota-seems-a-logical-place-for-bill-belichicks-last-nfl-stand

On January 24, 2018 at 5:24 PM, -JJ- said:

Just to be clear, I'm not demanding that Brady leave the league. He's a tremendous QB & he's compelling to watch during the playoffs. 

Who is he proving wrong? Most elite QBs have 2 rings Brady has 3 more than most. All driven people want new challenges. 1 more ring or 2 isn't gonna change his NFL legacy one bit. Let's be honest. 

What's Brady gonna do when no team wants him anymore? How will he scratch the competitive edge? Run for office? Start his own health company? Every players career ends sooner or later. 

On 1/22/2018 at 6:54 AM, 21isSuperman said:

I hate blaming refs, but they definitely did their part on Sunday.  I saw multiple Pats OLs holding onto the Jags DLs and not getting penalties.  One side has 100 yards in penalties, the other has 1 penalty total.  The Jags lost because they didn't play well enough, but I don't think the reffing was very good

The reffing was fine.  Both sides were getting away with WWE moves on the line.  The refs were only calling the ovbious stuff and otherwise were letting them play.

In that situation. the cold, caculating, disciplined, fundamentally sound veteran team who has had years to learn what they can and cannot get away with,  drawing far fewer penalties than the brash, young, energetic, eager, physical team who hadn't ever been this deep in the playoffs before, is hardly surprising.

The only actual controversial call in the entire game was the Lewis fumble/Mack recovery.  And frankly I think the Refs split a 50-50 call down the middle there. 

One could make an argument that Mack might have been untouched.  One could also make an argument that Lewis regained control while down by contact and there was no fumble at all.  Splitting the difference is probably the least unfair way they could have handled that situation.

Setting the homer glasses aside for the moment, in my honest opinion, looking at the game as a whole rather than cherry picking individual plays to be mad about, the refs did an excellent job of favoring neither team and called a very fair game.  The disparity of penalties is explained mostly by the disparity in experience, everything else was entirely reasonable..

For the record I came away from the Pats-Jags game heartily impressed by the players and coaches of the Jacksonville Jaguars.  They came into one of the most hostile playing environments in the entire NFL very nearly won.   No shame to be beat by the best in the league, and they sure gave the Pats a good run for their money.  Might be remembered as the game of the year, "Minnesota Miracle" notwithstanding

On 1/22/2018 at 4:54 AM, 21isSuperman said:

I hate blaming refs, but they definitely did their part on Sunday.  I saw multiple Pats OLs holding onto the Jags DLs and not getting penalties.  One side has 100 yards in penalties, the other has 1 penalty total.  The Jags lost because they didn't play well enough, but I don't think the reffing was very good

Blowing Myles Jack down on that fumble recovery was robbery.

19 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It was a bang bang play and thre's some question of whether that was even a fumble (slow mo shows Lewis may have regained possession with a knee down).  Refs split the difference, gave the Jags possession but negated the breakaway run.  Sometimes on a really tight play that's all you can do.

3 hours ago, George Peterson said:

I'd have to look, but I don't think either team got flagged for a single holding call.

From what i recall there was one holding call on the Jags on Wise and he basically tackled him, hurting Wise.  It was on the sack in the 2nd half and the Pats declined the penalty as it was on 3rd down.   But the Jags OL basically wrestled and tackled Wise. 

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

First off it was a bang bang play and frankly looked more like not a fumble and that Lewis was down by contact.  So they blew the whistle.

Also, as Jack initial grasping and control of the ball happened as he was rolling over and still in contact with Lewis, that contact makes his down by contact.  The fact that he did not complete the rest of the elements of possession until after he rolled on the ground (i.e. surviving the ground), does not matter, the initial contact controls.   

This is no different that a WR going up high to grasp a ball, is touch, then while not being touched again, lands with his two feet in and falls to the ground, he is down by contact via the initial touching when he was still in the air.  

Had the ball popped out and was loose on the ground and Mack grabbed it while not being on contact with Lewis then he would not be down by contact.

Finally, as the whistle blew, many players, included the Pats stopped, so there is no guarantee he would of been able to advance it much as the Pats players did not give chase. 

1 hour ago, Yehoodi said:

First off it was a bang bang play and frankly looked more like not a fumble and that Lewis was down by contact.  So they blew the whistle.

Also, as Jack initial grasping and control of the ball happened as he was rolling over and still in contact with Lewis, that contact makes his down by contact.  The fact that he did not complete the rest of the elements of possession until after he rolled on the ground (i.e. surviving the ground), does not matter, the initial contact controls.   

This is no different that a WR going up high to grasp a ball, is touch, then while not being touched again, lands with his two feet in and falls to the ground, he is down by contact via the initial touching when he was still in the air.  

Had the ball popped out and was loose on the ground and Mack grabbed it while not being on contact with Lewis then he would not be down by contact.

Finally, as the whistle blew, many players, included the Pats stopped, so there is no guarantee he would of been able to advance it much as the Pats players did not give chase. 

The ruling on the field was a fumble, not an incomplete pass/interception, and he wasn't ever touched by Lewis once the ball was stripped. I get that it was a bang bang play, and in real time it's difficult to access everything that's going on, but that was a mistake, in my opinion.