Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Destiny for the next Patriots tri-fecta

chad72

2001, 2003 and 2004 SB wins capped off vs the Eagles before Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel left.

2014, 2016 and 2017 SB wins capped off vs the Eagles before Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia leave.

It is meant to be, I can see it from a distance. What Belichick and Brady have been able to achieve has to be given its due. It will never be seen in history again. The Brady 6 was a list of 6 QBs chosen before him in the draft, now the Brady 6 will have a new meaning. That team is so well coached, they don't beat themselves over 60 minutes often.

Stinks to despise them and still see them do well but will give credit where credit is due, I guess. :scratch:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

The referees are also giving their due! So much for being impartial! Fewest penalties on a playoff team since 2011! Gotta improve those slumping ratings, and it certainly wasn't going to be with Jacksonville.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/referee-congratulates-tom-brady-firing-conspiracy-theories-013714714.html

They let them play for the most part, they called the blatant PI and yes that includes the one at the end of the half the CB knocks cooks out of bounds with the ball in the air that's PI. Hell they didn't call the one when the CB was all ove Gronk or when they hit Hogan long before the ball got there. People make it sound like JAGS HAD A TON OF PENALTIES.. they had 6!! 3 of which were false starts or delay of game, and one an easy personal foul penalty! And then 2 OBVIOUS PI. So stop with the "refs didn't call anything on them" they basically called ones they had to on the Jags. Sigh

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

2001, 2003 and 2004 SB wins capped off vs the Eagles before Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel left.

2014, 2016 and 2017 SB wins capped off vs the Eagles before Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia leave.

It is meant to be, I can see it from a distance. What Belichick and Brady have been able to achieve has to be given its due. It will never be seen in history again. The Brady 6 was a list of 6 QBs chosen before him in the draft, now the Brady 6 will have a new meaning. That team is so well coached, they don't beat themselves over 60 minutes often.

Stinks to despise them and still see them do well but will give credit where credit is due, I guess. :scratch:

Well sheesh when you break it down like that it almost does look like destiny!!! haha 

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

Fully understand your last point. Was watching the game and the hatred that is there is almost matched by the admiration of the way they continually kill off teams in the 4th quarter and the never-die attitude.  The quality of football on both sides of the ball (and even some strong special teams play) was really something to behold.

8 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

The referees are also giving their due! So much for being impartial! Fewest penalties on a playoff team since 2011! Gotta improve those slumping ratings, and it certainly wasn't going to be with Jacksonville.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/referee-congratulates-tom-brady-firing-conspiracy-theories-013714714.html

I hate blaming refs, but they definitely did their part on Sunday.  I saw multiple Pats OLs holding onto the Jags DLs and not getting penalties.  One side has 100 yards in penalties, the other has 1 penalty total.  The Jags lost because they didn't play well enough, but I don't think the reffing was very good

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I hate blaming refs, but they definitely did their part on Sunday.  I saw multiple Pats OLs holding onto the Jags DLs and not getting penalties.  One side has 100 yards in penalties, the other has 1 penalty total.  The Jags lost because they didn't play well enough, but I don't think the reffing was very good

Yeah, but how do you let a team convert a 3rd and 18, up 10, when you are a top 2 D in the league? In critical moments, they had a brain fart. It happens all the time. Steve Spagnuolos was blitzing in a timely fashion (not all the time, picked his spots real well) in SB 42 but with the Giants up 10-7, he stopped doing that on that drive, and bam, Brady drives the field and hooks up with Randy Moss for a TD. Once Eli gave the D another chance to make up for it with his own drive to go up 17-14, Spagnuolos did not make the same mistake and brought the heat down the middle to get a few sacks and incompletions at the end to make the Patriots go 18-1. 

Rushing 3 and playing zone against a HOF QB is not a recipe on 3rd and beyond long. I know what Sean Payton and Bruce Arians would do, bring the heat down the middle and not give Brady time to survey the field. 

Everyone this morning was talking about that 3rd and 18, down 10-20 as a critical conversion in that game. I specified it as a key turning point yesterday, everyone on the Mike & Mike show agreed, and Brady in his post game conference was quick to point out that play as a boost. Jags' D did not make adjustments once the Patriots started chipping more to give Brady time in the second half, and that is where the game was lost for the Jags, IMO.

11 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

When I read posts like this, it sounds like "millennial whining"....almost like there is an expectation that penalties should be issued equally to both teams....lol...what a concept!

The reality here is that some teams get penalized more than others.  Not sure how coaches do it these days, but back in the 80's, we were coached to be "disciplined".  In other words, the teams which exercised most discipline were generally penalized less than the teams with less discipline.  the stats below give a very good summary regarding penalties for this past season.  Keep in mind that it also includes post-season penalties so the data is NOT normalized....

http://www.nflpenalties.com/

After filtering the data a few different ways, it becomes apparent that NE is one of the more disciplined/least penalized teams in the league while Seattle is at the other end of the spectrum (by far).

Conclusion, if you truly feel that penalties should be based on "equality" and not on "merit", you should be lobbying VERY HARD for the inequalities AGAINST the Seattle Seahawks!

Where is the outrage for this injustice?

12 hours ago, chad72 said:

Ah, no.

credit for crossing the line and USUALLY not getting caught....... maybe.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, but how do you let a team convert a 3rd and 18, up 10, when you are a top 2 D in the league? In critical moments, they had a brain fart. It happens all the time. Steve Spagnuolos was blitzing in a timely fashion (not all the time, picked his spots real well) in SB 42 but with the Giants up 10-7, he stopped doing that on that drive, and bam, Brady drives the field and hooks up with Randy Moss for a TD. Once Eli gave the D another chance to make up for it with his own drive to go up 17-14, Spagnuolos did not make the same mistake and brought the heat down the middle to get a few sacks and incompletions at the end to make the Patriots go 18-1. 

Rushing 3 and playing zone against a HOF QB is not a recipe on 3rd and beyond long. I know what Sean Payton and Bruce Arians would do, bring the heat down the middle and not give Brady time to survey the field. 

Everyone this morning was talking about that 3rd and 18, down 10-20 as a critical conversion in that game. I specified it as a key turning point yesterday, everyone on the Mike & Mike show agreed, and Brady in his post game conference was quick to point out that play as a boost. Jags' D did not make adjustments once the Patriots started chipping more to give Brady time in the second half, and that is where the game was lost for the Jags, IMO.

Agreed.  Lots of defensive question marks.  Ramsey looked like he was scared to get beat deep, so he was giving Cooks a huge cushion.  Cooks/McDaniels took advantage and just kept running the curl routes to move the chains.  Offensively, the Jags became really vanilla and predictable at times.  Run up the gut, run up the gut, pass, punt.  I would have liked to see more play action and rollouts from them since it seemed to get them a lot of yards in the first half.

1 hour ago, Reality Check said:

When I read posts like this, it sounds like "millennial whining"....almost like there is an expectation that penalties should be issued equally to both teams....lol...what a concept!

The reality here is that some teams get penalized more than others.  Not sure how coaches do it these days, but back in the 80's, we were coached to be "disciplined".  In other words, the teams which exercised most discipline were generally penalized less than the teams with less discipline.  the stats below give a very good summary regarding penalties for this past season.  Keep in mind that it also includes post-season penalties so the data is NOT normalized....

http://www.nflpenalties.com/

After filtering the data a few different ways, it becomes apparent that NE is one of the more disciplined/least penalized teams in the league while Seattle is at the other end of the spectrum (by far).

Conclusion, if you truly feel that penalties should be based on "equality" and not on "merit", you should be lobbying VERY HARD for the inequalities AGAINST the Seattle Seahawks!

Where is the outrage for this injustice?

You're taking my words out of context.  I didn't say the refs were the reason for the loss.  I said the refs made some questionable calls/non-calls, and I completely stand by that.  The Jags lost because they didn't play as well as they needed to, but the reffing wasn't very good.  I saw Pats OLs holding on multiple occasions, but no flags.  I understand it's completely realistic for a team to get very few penalties if they play a disciplined game; there's no requirement that teams be penalized equally.  However, the Pats didn't play a disciplined game because there were a lot of missed calls.

Just as an example...

shouldnt-have-been-interference-ref-cele

The PI was iffy.  I could see the justification for it, but I personally think it was just good hard-nosed defense.  The TD being blown dead was a bad call.  I'm of the opinion you always let those plays go to completion because turnovers and touchdowns are automatically reviewed.  Let the play develop and if you missed something, you'll see it on the review.  Then the holding non-call happened multiple times.

Again, I'm not blaming the refs for the loss, but the game wasn't reffed very well.

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Agreed.  Lots of defensive question marks.  Ramsey looked like he was scared to get beat deep, so he was giving Cooks a huge cushion.  Cooks/McDaniels took advantage and just kept running the curl routes to move the chains.  Offensively, the Jags became really vanilla and predictable at times.  Run up the gut, run up the gut, pass, punt.  I would have liked to see more play action and rollouts from them since it seemed to get them a lot of yards in the first half.

Cant wait to see what crap the Eagles are gonna pull in two weeks.. 

Just now, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Cant wait to see what crap the Eagles are gonna pull in two weeks.. 

I find it hard to get excited for the Super Bowl.  The Eagles were very average at sacking the quarterback, they had a very average pass defense, I could easily see Brady torch them.  On the offensive side, they don't have Carson Wentz, and I'm not a big believer in Nick Foles.  I don't think this game will be that close; I see New England winning by 7+

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I find it hard to get excited for the Super Bowl.  The Eagles were very average at sacking the quarterback, they had a very average pass defense, I could easily see Brady torch them.  On the offensive side, they don't have Carson Wentz, and I'm not a big believer in Nick Foles.  I don't think this game will be that close; I see New England winning by 7+

You're telling me.. I'm not excited at all.

The Patriots "sqeaked" by the number 2 defense in the league

The Eagles absolutely thrashed the number 1 defense.

The Eagles will find a way to lose to the Patriots tho..

Probably by punting 4 times in the 4th and giving away a double digit lead

16 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

You're telling me.. I'm not excited at all.

The Patriots "sqeaked" by the number 2 defense in the league

The Eagles absolutely thrashed the number 1 defense.

The Eagles will find a way to lose to the Patriots tho..

Probably by punting 4 times in the 4th and giving away a double digit lead

I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm just very underwhelmed by Philly.  In all fairness, I haven't watched them very closely, so maybe I'm just being ignorant.  I just don't see how they can put up much of a fight against New England

7 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Oh come on. You're so much better than this. 

There is holding and PI that goes on in every game and it doesn't get called. 

This would be weak for your most pathetic of posters. For you, who is one of the best, it's just embarrassing. 

13 minutes ago, GoPats said:

Oh come on. You're so much better than this. 

There is holding and PI that goes on in every game and it doesn't get called. 

This would be weak for your most pathetic of posters. For you, who is one of the best, it's just embarrassing.

I appreciate the kinda backhanded compliment haha

I'm just commenting on my observations.  The reffing was not equal

I'm not suggesting the Pats paid the refs off or anything like that.  I'm just saying the refs missed a lot of calls that would have benefited the Jags.  The Jags certainly didn't help themselves by becoming very conservative and vanilla, so most of the blame falls on the Jags themselves.

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

I appreciate the kinda backhanded compliment haha

I'm just commenting on my observations.  The reffing was not equal

I'm not suggesting the Pats paid the refs off or anything like that.  I'm just saying the refs missed a lot of calls that would have benefited the Jags.  The Jags certainly didn't help themselves by becoming very conservative and vanilla, so most of the blame falls on the Jags themselves.

Ha, I'm sorry, you know it wasn't meant to be backhanded... I'm just surprised, that's all. 

Jacksonville had six penalties called on them. Three were pre-snap (so tough from your standpoint to argue those). Two were pretty blatant (helmet-to-helmet hit on Gronk, late PI call). The only call the in entire game you could argue was the PI call on Bouye at the end of the first half. 

You guys made it sound like the Jags were getting screwed on every other play. We're talking three (non pre-snap) penalties to one, and two of the three were blatant. 

You can "find" holding on just about any play if you're looking for it. I saw plenty of Jacksonville runs where I said after the play "so-and-so was holding our guy on that!" I thought the refs did a good job of letting them play, and only called the most egregious penalties that occurred. 

What sucks about all this is that nearly every Superbowl run of theirs has been under controversial situations.

#snowplowgate

#spygate

#Tuckgate

#decepgate

#injurygate

#deflategate

and now...

#Refgate?  can the Patriots ever win in the post season WITHOUT cheating/controversy?

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

What sucks about all this is that nearly every Superbowl run of theirs has been under controversial situations.

#snowplowgate

#spygate

#Tuckgate

#decepgate

#injurygate

#deflategate

and now...

#Refgate?  can the Patriots ever win in the post season WITHOUT cheating/controversy?

Haha, this is amazing... but your sad attempt to illicit more of a response is failing. Just like your team. :thmup:

No one cheats their way to 8 Super Bowl appearances. Might as well start trying to accept that, because it's going to really hit you hard when you realize how wrong you are. 

Just now, GoPats said:

Haha, this is amazing... but your sad attempt to illicit more of a response is failing. Just like your team. :thmup:

No one cheats their way to 8 Super Bowl appearances. Might as well start trying to accept that, because it's going to really hit you hard when you realize how wrong you are. 

I'm not saying they did or didn't.  I'm simply saying that there's been controversy surrounding ALOT of their post season runs. Whether they did or not is irrelevant to the unfortunate fact that the history they are making has been and seems to be yet again, shrouded in controversy.  It takes away from their achievements and that is unfortunate.

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm not saying they did or didn't.  I'm simply saying that there's been controversy surrounding ALOT of their post season runs. Whether they did or not is irrelevant to the unfortunate fact that the history they are making has been and seems to be yet again, shrouded in controversy.  It takes away from their achievements and that is unfortunate.

Actually it doesn't. 

It's simply an attempt to establish some sort of schadenfreude, which is - just being honest here - pretty sad. If the Patriots hadn't accomplished as much as they have in the past 18 years, I hate to think I'd be right there with you, trying to make myself feel better about MY team by tearing down YOURS. Patriots fans constantly are accused of having no class, but I can't think of anything more classless than reveling in someone else's unhappiness. 

Just now, GoPats said:

Actually it doesn't. 

It's simply an attempt to establish some sort of schadenfreude, which is - just being honest here - pretty sad. If the Patriots hadn't accomplished as much as they have in the past 18 years, I hate to think I'd be right there with you, trying to make myself feel better about MY team by tearing down YOURS. Patriots fans constantly are accused of having no class, but I can't think of anything more classless than reveling in someone else's unhappiness. 

You're completely missing the point... 

28 minutes ago, GoPats said:

Ha, I'm sorry, you know it wasn't meant to be backhanded... I'm just surprised, that's all. 

Jacksonville had six penalties called on them. Three were pre-snap (so tough from your standpoint to argue those). Two were pretty blatant (helmet-to-helmet hit on Gronk, late PI call). The only call the in entire game you could argue was the PI call on Bouye at the end of the first half. 

You guys made it sound like the Jags were getting screwed on every other play. We're talking three (non pre-snap) penalties to one, and two of the three were blatant. 

You can "find" holding on just about any play if you're looking for it. I saw plenty of Jacksonville runs where I said after the play "so-and-so was holding our guy on that!" I thought the refs did a good job of letting them play, and only called the most egregious penalties that occurred.

I'm also not arguing that the penalties that were called were bad.  I think for the most part, the Jags deserved the penalties they took.  I'm saying the refs missed calls they should have made.  The early whistle on Jack's fumble and recovery was also unwarranted, but I guess I can kinda understand that....if I have to.

Regarding the Gronk hit, did you see Richard Sherman's response to it?

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

#snowplowgate

#spygate

#Tuckgate

#decepgate

#injurygate

#deflategate

and now...

At this point, I think fans are actively looking for things to find rather than seeing what actually comes up.  The Jags lost yesterday because they took their foot off the gas.

13 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

At this point, I think fans are actively looking for things to find rather than seeing what actually comes up.  The Jags lost yesterday because they took their foot off the gas.

Oh I agree.  But that doesnt change the fact that a lot of fans think the Patriots were helped by the refs.  i didn't catch the entire game so i'm not gonna comment as to that validity of those thoughts.  Just saying that another controversy seems to be taking place is all.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

So, one PI call (and one that could have gone either way) in a 60-minute game is "controversy?" 

Only for those of you who are still holding on to the concept that Manning is even in the discussion at this point when it comes to which of these guys is/was better. Brady has distanced himself so much from his former rival that you guys all seem to feel the need to try to tear it down, which is actually quite sad when you look at it objectively. I doubt Peyton would be so petty if you asked him about Brady. 

Once again... classic schadenfreude. Somehow it will make you feel a little better f I feel a little less worse about what Brady and the Patriots did last night? So sad. Considering my fellow Pats fans and I are constantly accused of being "classless" because of who we root for, I think that's kind of ironic.

When there actually WAS uncertainty about it, I never reveled in Manning's failures the way you guys do with Brady. Maybe I should have, because taking the high road in most of those discussions obviously got me nowhere. 

47 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm also not arguing that the penalties that were called were bad.  I think for the most part, the Jags deserved the penalties they took.  I'm saying the refs missed calls they should have made.  The early whistle on Jack's fumble and recovery was also unwarranted, but I guess I can kinda understand that....if I have to.

Regarding the Gronk hit, did you see Richard Sherman's response to it?

I didn't see Sherman's response, but the guy went high, and there is no way you can tell me that call isn't made regardless of the teams involved. He cracked Gronk directly in the head, leading with helmet. It was as blatant and obvious a call as there can be. 

Your last line (in bold) is the only part that bothers me. In a game with only a handful of penalties, people still found something to cry about. 

I'm sorry the Patriots are that good. But at the same time, I'm not sorry.

Nah, the Broncos' D got away with a lot of holding as well in their 2015 SB run, you can go back and look. 2012 Ravens, 2013 Seahawks, 2014 Patriots, 2015 Broncos, 2016 Patriots, all SB winners commit holding at some point. 

However, what people are asking for is consistency, to call it both ways, but if you look at history, it doesn't happen both ways, unfortunately. Gronk got manhandled by Talib, didn't get called. Marvin Harrison got manhandled by Ty Law, didn't get called. HFA does matter for those calls, it seems like.

The Seahawks get a TD taken away in 2005 vs the Steelers in a petty offensive PI call, something Gronk , Randy Moss, big wide outs do ALL the time but it gets called. The Ravens commit a holding on Eric Decker in 2012 and get a pick six out of it in that Ravens-Broncos game. Then they hold Crabtree like crazy and get away with it in the SB vs 49ers, just the way it goes. Broncos CBs hold Cam Newton's wide outs and the Patriots wide outs in 2015, and get away with more than usual. It does make you feel like the NFL is scripted - Jerome Bettis swan song, Ray Lewis swan song, Peyton Manning swan song etc.

The problem, however, I have with, is not who gets the calls, but the fact that holding is an automatic first down, just give the 10 yard penalty, and if it results in a first down, so be it. Otherwise, keep it at 10 yards. Falcons DBs holding the Patriots resulted in a few 3rd and 15s and a 3rd and 20s in the SB for first downs, that is what gets me. 

54 minutes ago, GoPats said:

I didn't see Sherman's response, but the guy went high, and there is no way you can tell me that call isn't made regardless of the teams involved. He cracked Gronk directly in the head, leading with helmet. It was as blatant and obvious a call as there can be. 

Your last line (in bold) is the only part that bothers me. In a game with only a handful of penalties, people still found something to cry about. 

I can't say I agree with Sherman.  If he wanted to, I think Church could have aimed to hit Gronk's arm with his shoulder and wrapped him up.  But then you can argue that Church is just trying to do his job and deliver a big enough hit to knock the ball out, which he can't do if he wraps Gronk up.  Tough call on this one.

Question for the Pats fans (@JimJaime, @GoPats, @Flying Elvis, @-JJ-): are you worried about the contributions Blount and Chris Long can make to the Eagles gameplans?  On the one hand, one can claim there isn't anything they can contribute that the Eagles coaches wouldn't already have access to from a season's worth of game film, so it's a non-issue.  On the other hand, maybe they know some tendencies and things to look out for?  Thoughts?

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

Question for the Pats fans (@JimJaime, @GoPats, @Flying Elvis, @-JJ-): are you worried about the contributions Blount and Chris Long can make to the Eagles gameplans?  On the one hand, one can claim there isn't anything they can contribute that the Eagles coaches wouldn't already have access to from a season's worth of game film, so it's a non-issue.  On the other hand, maybe they know some tendencies and things to look out for?  Thoughts?

I am more afraid of their D line than anything along or Blount could tell them. The key stopping Brady, like Manning, is getting pressure without blitzing and the Eagles can do that they can win.  Heck more important than that is no Gronk would hamper them big time.

so in one word ..   No. I am just going to enjoy it as this may be the last one. (I know the end is closer than the beginning)

1 hour ago, GoPats said:

So, one PI call (and one that could have gone either way) in a 60-minute game is "controversy?" 

Only for those of you who are still holding on to the concept that Manning is even in the discussion at this point when it comes to which of these guys is/was better. Brady has distanced himself so much from his former rival that you guys all seem to feel the need to try to tear it down, which is actually quite sad when you look at it objectively. I doubt Peyton would be so petty if you asked him about Brady. 

Once again... classic schadenfreude. Somehow it will make you feel a little better f I feel a little less worse about what Brady and the Patriots did last night? So sad. Considering my fellow Pats fans and I are constantly accused of being "classless" because of who we root for, I think that's kind of ironic.

When there actually WAS uncertainty about it, I never reveled in Manning's failures the way you guys do with Brady. Maybe I should have, because taking the high road in most of those discussions obviously got me nowhere. 

Grrr you're still missing the dang point. 

My whole dang point is that I think it's freaking pitiful that fans can't/won't sit back and appreciate the historical run the Patriots are because of all the controversies, made up or other wise. I'm not saying there is a legit one but it's all over the web about the refs and the calls. I'm saying I'm FREAKING SICK of always hearing one every time they win.

In other words Ding Dong, I'm pretty much on your side on this one.

1 minute ago, JimJaime said:

I am more afraid of their D line than anything along or Blount could tell them. The key stopping Brady, like Manning, is getting pressure without blitzing and the Eagles can do that they can win.  Heck more important than that is no Gronk would hamper them big time.

so in one word ..   No. I am just going to enjoy it as this may be the last one. (I know the end is closer than the beginning)

Knowing our luck the end is probably like 10 years away lol