Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sacks - we're bad at both ends

ColtsFanMikeC

Just looking through some team stats we were 2nd worst in the league in defensive sacks (with 25) and worst in the league with sacks given up (56).

With numbers like that, it is amazing we wound up positive on turnover differential.

In my opinion, one of the best ways to generate interceptions/fumbles is through sacking and pressure from the defense.  Hopefully Basham keeps developing and I think a healthy Sheard and Simon will continue to do pretty well overall as LBers, but it would really be nice to have at least one 10+ sack type of guy on this team (Sheard lead the team with 5.5).  Maybe I am spoiled having had Freeney and Mathis for so long, but it was very nice to have a pass rush.

While it seems tempting to take Saquon Barkley with the #3, I think the fact we see the need to majorly improve our ability to rush the other passer and protect our own is very evident.  It will be very interesting to see how Ballard and Co. handle this draft/offseason.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Just looking through some team stats we were 2nd worst in the league in defensive sacks (with 25) and worst in the league with sacks given up (56).

With numbers like that, it is amazing we wound up positive on turnover differential.

In my opinion, one of the best ways to generate interceptions/fumbles is through sacking and pressure from the defense.  Hopefully Basham keeps developing and I think a healthy Sheard and Simon will continue to do pretty well overall as LBers, but it would really be nice to have at least one 10+ sack type of guy on this team (Sheard lead the team with 5.5).  Maybe I am spoiled having had Freeney and Mathis for so long, but it was very nice to have a pass rush.

While it seems tempting to take Saquon Barkley with the #3, I think the fact we see the need to majorly improve our ability to rush the other passer and protect our own is very evident.  It will be very interesting to see how Ballard and Co. handle this draft/offseason.

Well it's early in his career but if we are going to look for Basham to help those stats i fear we will again be near the bottom. 

We will once again need to upgrade a woeful pass rush thru FA/Draft. Hopefully this offseason is better than last couple.

When you have a big time threat at HB teams aren't going to blitz us nearly as much as they have.. It's pretty simple really...They didn't fear Gore, they knew he wouldn't break it...Barkley is a whole different animal, and is a major threat in passing game as well..He helps Luck as much as a great olineman would...

Sheard and Simon are run stoppers, edge setters. We need a pass rusher and offensive linemen, but offensive line is much more glaring. We have Basham to groom and the two I already mentioned did well for us.

We have no one to look to on the offensive line, just Mewhort if he ever gets healthy again. O-line, O-line, O-line. Protect Luck. 

1 minute ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Sheard and Simon are run stoppers, edge setters. We need a pass rusher and offensive linemen, but offensive line is much more glaring. We have Basham to groom and the two I already mentioned did well for us.

We have no one to look to on the offensive line, just Mewhort if he ever gets healthy again. O-line, O-line, O-line. Protect Luck. 

Free agency...Rounds 2-7..

4 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

When you have a big time threat at HB teams aren't going to blitz us nearly as much as they have.. It's pretty simple really...They didn't fear Gore, they knew he wouldn't break it...Barkley is a whole different animal, and is a major threat in passing game as well..He helps Luck as much as a great olineman would...

That wont mean anything when the defense gives up 35 points a game. If we don't get pressure on the opposing QB we are not going to win games.

We have learned first hand at what having a big time offense while having a bad defense means. No super bowl trips. NFL history 101

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That wont mean anything when the defense gives up 35 points a game. If we don't get pressure on the opposing QB we are not going to win games.

We have learned first hand at what having a big time offense while having a bad defense means. No super bowl trips. NFL history 101

When we are controlling the ball and time of possession on offense, and can give the defense more rest, and the other offense less possessions it will help defense as well...We have 85 million to spend in free agency and 6 other picks besides #3 rd1...I fully expect us to uprgrade oline, WR, ILB, and DE/OLB even if we take Barkley..It's possible to do all these thngs..Colts are in a good position to make a major leap next year, especially with a competent coaching staff..

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So Luck getting pounded into the turf for 5 years is Jacoby's fault as well. :groan:

We’re talking about the 2017 season lol. You are out of it. 

“He realizes some of those hits are because of him and not being decisive enough, and that’s something he’s working to get better at,” Schottenheimer said. “There’s certainly times he’s held the ball too long, for different reasons.”

but hey, crazycolt thinks it’s all on the line so it must be! 

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

When we are controlling the ball and time of possession on offense, and can give e the defense more rest, and the other offense less possessions it will help defense as well...We have 85 million to spend in free agency and 6 other picks besides #3 rd1...I fully expect us to uprgrade oline, ILB, and DE/OLB even if we take Barkley..It's possible to do all these thngs..Colts are in a good position to make a major leap next year, especially with a competent coaching staff..

If the defense gets more three and outs they put themselves resting on the sidelines.

Yes upgrades at all those positions will help but till we start getting pressure of the opposing QBs wins will not be easy.

3 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

We’re talking about the 2017 season lol. You are out of it. 

“He realizes some of those hits are because of him and not being decisive enough, and that’s something he’s working to get better at,” Schottenheimer said. “There’s certainly times he’s held the ball too long, for different reasons.”

but hey, crazycolt thinks it’s all on the line so it must be! 

Put words in my mouth. Naturally that is were you go. If you can see the biggest part of sacks come from poor O-line play it is me who can ask you if you watch the Colts.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Put words in my mouth. Naturally that is were you go. If you can see the biggest part of sacks come from poor O-line play it is me who can ask you if you watch the Colts.

I said a lot of sacks are on Jacoby, never said he was the sole reason? So what’re you talking about? What was the point of your “are you serious” post? 

Here's the deal: We need a lot, just about everywhere. In fact we now know we need more now than we did this time last year. This time last year Irsay said the the OL was fixed and Luck was coming back.

We now know the line is broke and Luck is a question mark.

So last time I checked we have more than one draft pick to address our needs PLUS FA which we once again have lots of cap space to spend.

To bypass a Super Star, game changer, playmaker generational talent at a much needed position for us because of needs elsewhere is foolish. We still have plenty resources besides the 3rd overall pick to acquire talent. 

As far as Chubb vs Barkley, either one woyld be a good pick but Barkley is the higher rated prospect and also the safer pick and would get immediate production from like the Cowboys got from Zeke.

Im done talking about it.

It may be moot anyway. If Luck is still hurt we may be drafting Darnold. How does that grab you?haha 

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Here's the deal: We need a lot, just about everywhere. In fact we now know we need more now than we did this time last year. This time last year Irsay said the the OL was fixed and Luck was coming back.

So last time I checked we have more than one draft pick to address our needs PLUS FA which we once again have lots of cap space to spend.

To bypass a Super Star, game changer, playmaker generational talent at a much needed position for us because of needs elsewhere is foolish. We still have plenty resources besides the 3rd overall pick to acquire talent. 

As far as Chubb vs Barkley, either one woyld be a good pick but Barkley is the higher rated prospect and also the safer pick and would get immediate production from like the Cowboys got from Zeke.

It may be moot anyway. If Luck is still hurt we may be drafting Darnold. How does that grab you?haha 

Forum just got served.

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

It may be the only rational post I've read all day.....

17 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

:wall:

27 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I must have missed where the Colts built a Cowboy-esque OL in the last 5 weeks.. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

2nd worst in defensive sacks? Welp draft the RB 3rd overall. 

Let's say over the next 3 seasons, a team consecutively drafts for a needed position and each time they forego picking a player with better talent despite the position.  After 3 years, they will be a less talented team by anyone's logic.   If Chubb is graded as high as Barkley, then no big deal, we get him, but if he's not, then my point stands.  

7 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Let's say over the next 3 seasons, a team consecutively drafts for a needed position and each time they forego picking a player with better talent despite the position.  After 3 years, they will be a less talented team by anyone's logic.   If Chubb is graded as high as Barkley, then no big deal, we get him, but if he's not, then my point stands.  

Positional value is a thing. For the record, I’m assuming Chubb will be similarly graded with Saquon. 

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well it's early in his career but if we are going to look for Basham to help those stats i fear we will again be near the bottom. 

We will once again need to upgrade a woeful pass rush thru FA/Draft. Hopefully this offseason is better than last couple.

I don't understand this comment.  Most definitely we are expecting Basham to improve upon the 2 sacks he had last year.  And almost assuredly, he will improve upon that number.  And that will help our sack ranking.

56 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

8EF3AC3A-62FB-4D4A-86F7-2862885403C2.jpeg