Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Minnesota (-3) at Philadelphia (1-21-18)

oldunclemark

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keenum stunk but he wasn't the difference in the game. If he doesn't get a gig next year it will be a shame. The difference was a jacked up Eagles offense led by another solid backup. The team believes in him which is the most important thing involving a backup before you even gets to Xs and Os. I don't know if they'll beat the Pats but I know they'll be ready like the Jags were (which wasn't enough...that's why I don't know lol).

3 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Keenum stunk but he wasn't the difference in the game. If he doesn't get a gig next year it will be a shame. The difference was a jacked up Eagles offense led by another solid backup. The team believes in him which is the most important thing involving a backup before you even gets to Xs and Os. I don't know if they'll beat the Pats but I know they'll be ready like the Jags were (which wasn't enough...that's why I don't know lol).

I wouldn’t really say Foles is a backup, he was a starter there and had pretty good season and then was injured and the eagles picked Wentz.

I’d say Foles is good enough to be a starter on most teams. The guy would be an instant upgrade for a team like the Jaguars.

Not really suprised, homefield was huge for Philly this postseason. Tough place to win. Not sure they can carry it as well to a neutral stadium but normally Pats Super Bowls are pretty interesting to watch regardless.

No shame if you are the Vikings too, you had a great season and an all time memorable playoff finish last weekend.

Sorry @NFLfan I was really pulling for you guys but it just wasn't meant to be...turnovers just killed you and the defense laid an egg at the worst time. Clock struck midnight....Keenum turned back into a pumpkin. It will be interesting to see where they go with the QB next year. I think Teddy might be the guy again....I love him as a guy and a leader...he just may have enough to get you over that hump next year. I had a bad feeling when I saw how the week was progressing with the Minnesota Miracle stuff....that's a huge high that just isn't easy to come down from and get your mind straight again after. You've got some nice young exciting players....you can be back again next year!

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sorry @NFLfan I was really pulling for you guys but it just wasn't meant to be...turnovers just killed you and the defense laid an egg at the worst time. Clock struck midnight....Keenum turned back into a pumpkin. It will be interesting to see where they go with the QB next year. I think Teddy might be the guy again....I love him as a guy and a leader...he just may have enough to get you over that hump next year. I had a bad feeling when I saw how the week was progressing with the Minnesota Miracle stuff....that's a huge high that just isn't easy to come down from and get your mind straight again after. You've got some nice young exciting players....you can be back again next year!

The weird part is Foles is hitting the good part of what a backup QB hits, something Case Keenum hit a few weeks ago, getting better with more reps since there is no way he could have gotten enough first team reps behind Carson Wentz. 2 weeks to prepare would only mean more reps for Foles.

In a certain way, the backup QB Foles will be hard to scout and prepare for since not enough tendencies have been established in the confines of the Eagles offense. That is probably what the Vikings found out too. It might have been easier for them to play Carson Wentz, in that aspect. Foles is higher than Bortles, IMO, in terms of ceiling, and we will just have to see if a high floor getting closer to ceiling is realized on SB Sunday.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The weird part is Foles is hitting the good part of what a backup QB hits, something Case Keenum hit a few weeks ago, getting better with more reps since there is no way he could have gotten enough first team reps behind Carson Wentz. 2 weeks to prepare would only mean more reps for Foles.

In a certain way, the backup QB Foles will be hard to scout and prepare for since not enough tendencies have been established in the confines of the Eagles offense. That is probably what the Vikings found out too. It might have been easier for them to play Carson Wentz, in that aspect. Foles is higher than Bortles, IMO, in terms of ceiling, and we will just have to see if a high floor getting closer to ceiling is realized on SB Sunday.

I don't think they changed much of the offense from Wentz to Foles....still a ton of RPOs....just Foles can't make the big plays down field that Wentz was..and seems less likely to run. I expect NE to do what they did to Bortles....take away the running game and slowly squeeze the field taking away the shorter throws and make him beat them with accurate deep throws.....and in the second half bring pressure. The main problem is Philly has a great run defense and decent pass rush...but their secondary won't be able to cover NE....I expect Tom to eat them alive.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don't think they changed much of the offense from Wentz to Foles....still a ton of RPOs....just Foles can't make the big plays down field that Wentz was..and seems less likely to run. I expect NE to do what they did to Bortles....take away the running game and slowly squeeze the field taking away the shorter throws and make him beat them with accurate deep throws.....and in the second half bring pressure. The main problem is Philly has a great run defense and decent pass rush...but their secondary won't be able to cover NE....I expect Tom to eat them alive.

Yeah, I am a bit surprised though that their secondary has held up well enough vs the Falcons and Vikings offenses. Gronk will eat their coverage LBs alive, for certain, since they have been generous vs TEs ever since Jordan Hicks went on IR. That is where Schwartz's pressure schemes have actually helped, I feel, and that is where the Jaguars felt short, they never blitzed. It is one thing to blitz all the time and get burned because they are predictable, but timely blitzes are something done even by the Seahawks and Vikings who rush just four. That was a clear head scratcher on the Jags part.

The other part is Doug Peterson is a much better play caller than what the Jags have. If the Patriots are bringing run blitzes, he will adjust faster than the Jags did with Bortles. Schwartz has seen enough OL moves that if the OL starts chipping more, he will adjust too. Coaching matters at the highest level for adjustments.

25 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, I am a bit surprised though that their secondary has held up well enough vs the Falcons and Vikings offenses. Gronk will eat their coverage LBs alive, for certain, since they have been generous vs TEs ever since Jordan Hicks went on IR. That is where Schwartz's pressure schemes have actually helped, I feel, and that is where the Jaguars felt short, they never blitzed. It is one thing to blitz all the time and get burned because they are predictable, but timely blitzes are something done even by the Seahawks and Vikings who rush just four. That was a clear head scratcher on the Jags part.

The other part is Doug Peterson is a much better play caller than what the Jags have. If the Patriots are bringing run blitzes, he will adjust faster than the Jags did with Bortles. Schwartz has seen enough OL moves that if the OL starts chipping more, he will adjust too. Coaching matters at the highest level for adjustments.

Yep Philly should be able to move the ball some against NE...they have a more potent offense and Foles is a better qb than Bortles. That said I don't see their defense holding up one bit. I expect like 34-24 win for NE. Yeah you have to bring it sometimes. 3rd-18...I bring the house...make Brady get rid of it quickly and try to come up and make a tackle. If you let him sit and pick his spot he can convert those with no problem. Once I saw the pass rush getting no pressure in the second half (for various reasons despite what some say) it is only a matter of time before guys will make plays for that offense.

I've felt for a while that a 2 deep man-under (2-Man) is best D alignment against Pats 11 personnel O.  Also, do twisting/stunting up front.

Whether Man or Zone, be ready to bracket/double Gronk. And  watch passes over the middle. Play 60 minutes, don't make mistakes. Score points on O. It's hard to win a game vs. Patriots, but easy to lose one.