stitches

Official 2018 Colts NFL Draft Tracker - Meetings, Interviews, Private Workouts, etc

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, stitches said:

The thing is... this year it seems like a lot of our visits are for fringe/small school type of players. Look at those names:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kTZvuUSuno6bdvr_SVW6joxYGVdaw1D449Mm4Fe0Emo/edit#gid=0

 

Jaylen Dunlap, CB, Illinois

Tremon Smith, CB, Central Arkansas

McKay Murphy, DL, Weber State

Bradley Chubb, EDGE, NC State

Robert McCray EDGE Indiana - this might not be top 30 visit since players from the same state are allowed to visit without taking a spot from the top 30 I think

Khalid Hill FB Michigan

Roquan Smith LB Georgia

Rashaan Evans LB Alabama

Ito Smith RB Southern Miss

Tarvarius Moore S Southern Miss

Montrel Meander S Grambling State

Daurice Fountain WR Northern Iowa

Sam Mentkowski WR UW-Oshkosh

 

 

 

I see that Prospect Tracker you gave me shows that we've even worked out Antonio Callaway privately.  Seems more and more like they have pretty decent intentions on him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, stitches said:

The thing is... this year it seems like a lot of our visits are for fringe/small school type of players. Look at those names:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kTZvuUSuno6bdvr_SVW6joxYGVdaw1D449Mm4Fe0Emo/edit#gid=0

 

Jaylen Dunlap, CB, Illinois

Tremon Smith, CB, Central Arkansas

McKay Murphy, DL, Weber State

Bradley Chubb, EDGE, NC State

Robert McCray EDGE Indiana - this might not be top 30 visit since players from the same state are allowed to visit without taking a spot from the top 30 I think

Khalid Hill FB Michigan

Roquan Smith LB Georgia

Rashaan Evans LB Alabama

Ito Smith RB Southern Miss

Tarvarius Moore S Southern Miss

Montrel Meander S Grambling State

Daurice Fountain WR Northern Iowa

Sam Mentkowski WR UW-Oshkosh

 

 

 

A lot of that is for scouting late round picks and UDFAs. Those will be the guys who are camp bodies competing for STs spots. It’s also how you sometimes find that rare diamond in the rough. They’ve watched all the tape on the big name guys and have already stacked the upper half of their draft board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, krunk said:

I see that Prospect Tracker you gave me shows that we've even worked out Antonio Callaway privately.  Seems more and more like they have pretty decent intentions on him.

Yeah, you can see earlier in this thread I included information about a Colts scout being  at his pro day and talking to him for about 20 minutes. They also were supposed to go for another private meeting/visit on the following day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stitches said:

Yeah, you can see earlier in this thread I included information about a Colts scout was at his pro day and talked to him for about 20 minutes. They also were supposed to go for another meeting/visit on the following day. 

So I'm wondering if they really would consider taking him with one of those #2 picks?

They must feel confident about something I assume.   Hard to know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, you can see earlier in this thread I included information about a Colts scout being  at his pro day and talking to him for about 20 minutes. They also were supposed to go for another private meeting/visit on the following day. 

I get the feeling they are looking at him in the same light as Tyrann Mathieu.  Change of scenery did Matthieu some wonders .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Colts bringing in Ball State DE Anthony Winbush for an official top 30 visit:

 

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-april-4-lsu-ball-state-new-mexico-state

 

Quote

 

Ball State

The Ball State workout was still going on at the time of posting.  Ten teams were on hand primarily to watch defensive end/outside linebacker Anthony Winbush workout.

Winbush, who did not run at the combine due to a hamstring issue, completed 29 reps on the bench today (25 at the combine), touched 36 inches in the vertical jump then timed in the mid 4.7’s (4.75s/4.77s) in the forty.  After the shuttles and three cone Winbush will participate in both linebacker and defensive line drills.

He has an official visit set up with the Indianapolis Colts.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indiana WR Simmie Cobbs will have a private workout with the Colts:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colts showing interest in Franklin College WR Deontez Alexander:

 

Indiana CB Rashard Fant has private workout with the Colts:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2018 at 11:35 PM, stitches said:

Colts have met with FIU QB Alex McGough:

 

 

 

Seems like the Colts had a second meeting with Florida International QB Alex McGough:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Colts are having a local pro-day it seems:

 

 

They've done that in the past. I remember Krishawn Hogan being at it last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, stitches said:

UTEP OG Will Hernandez was at a Colts pro-day today:

 

 

Very interesting. If He’s there in the 2nd, we should take him. People want to take Nelson at 6, but you can get a guard just as good in the later rounds.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Very interesting. If He’s there in the 2nd, we should take him. People want to take Nelson at 6, but you can get a guard just as good in the later rounds.

 

We can get a very good guard in the second or third.

 

There is no guard who is "just as good."

 

That player doesn't exist.    The guy we take in the 2nd or 3rd will be good enough,  but he won't be Nelson.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2018 at 11:19 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Any relation to Daniel Boone?

Not that I know.

 

Pre-draft process star from Sam Houston St - DT PJ Hall had an official visit with the Colts. Last year we had a similar pick in Grover Stewart who killed the post-season process:

 

 

He ran in the 4.7s at his pro-day... at 310 pounds and had some amazing explosiveness numbers in the jumps as well... 

 

Another official visit - Grambling DB Montrel Meander:

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Western Kentucky QB Mike White has a visit with the Colts today:

 

 

He's been getting some day 2 - early day 3 buzz... interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stitches said:

 

2nd or 3rd time with Ito Smith. Guess we are looking for a pass catching back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stitches said:

Western Kentucky QB Mike White has a visit with the Colts today:

 

 

He's been getting some day 2 - early day 3 buzz... interesting. 


That is interesting.

I think he'd even be competing with Brissett, or at least a good backup to him in case Luck isn't ready or goes down again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Florida RB Mark Thompson is visiting the Colts next week:

 

Illinois WR Malik Turner visiting the Colts tomorrow:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I've posted this over on the Colts page of the website in a thread about visits...

 

But this seems to be the best place for this post....     So, I'm posting it here as well for consideration....

 

 

If I remember correctly,  I think about 13 months ago,  early in Ballard's first year,  he made a comment that stuck with me......

 

That he likes to use thse visits to confirm (one way or the other)  red flag issues with prospects.    And that people, fans and media,  shouldn't read too much into a player visiting.    That it doesn't mean the Colts are hot for a player.    It might mean he's got issues that the team wants to ask him about on a face to face visit.

 

I've also noticed through two draft phases now,  that Ballard and the Colts are not often linked with the sexy names on these visits.    That we are often linked with guys who might be thought off as Day 3 type of talent.   Rounds 4-7 and UDFA.     I think he's trying to gather more info on the possible Diamonds in the Rough.    I think he feels he knows what he needs to know about players who are Day 1 and Day 2 types.    But, in an effort to maximize hitting on Day 3 players and free agents,  he's trying to do as much homework as he can on these lesser known players.    The success rate on Day 3 types is much lower.    If you can manage to increase the percentage you find more good players for your team.

 

This is what I believe Ballard is doing....

 

That's my story and I'm sticking with it until I'm presented with facts that say otherwise.....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I've posted this over on the Colts page of the website in a thread about visits...

 

But this seems to be the best place for this post....     So, I'm posting it here as well for consideration....

 

 

If I remember correctly,  I think about 13 months ago,  early in Ballard's first year,  he made a comment that stuck with me......

 

That he likes to use thse visits to confirm (one way or the other)  red flag issues with prospects.    And that people, fans and media,  shouldn't read too much into a player visiting.    That it doesn't mean the Colts are hot for a player.    It might mean he's got issues that the team wants to ask him about on a face to face visit.

 

I've also noticed through two draft phases now,  that Ballard and the Colts are not often linked with the sexy names on these visits.    That we are often linked with guys who might be thought off as Day 3 type of talent.   Rounds 4-7 and UDFA.     I think he's trying to gather more info on the possible Diamonds in the Rough.    I think he feels he knows what he needs to know about players who are Day 1 and Day 2 types.    But, in an effort to maximize hitting on Day 3 players and free agents,  he's trying to do as much homework as he can on these lesser known players.    The success rate on Day 3 types is much lower.    If you can manage to increase the percentage you find more good players for your team.

 

This is what I believe Ballard is doing....

 

That's my story and I'm sticking with it until I'm presented with facts that say otherwise.....

Very well said. That’s actually the strategy of most GMs, not just Ballard. The UDFA guys are the ones who will fill out the bottom of your roster as ST and reserve players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purdue DE/OLB Danny Ezechekwu will have a private workout with the Colts today:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colts will work out Pacers Glenn Robinson III's brother and Purdue DE Gelen Robinson today:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Colts had their local pro day today:

 

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Host-2018-Local-Pro-Day-For-Area-Draft-Prospects/3eddb85f-09a2-42ad-bbf8-869467041aef

 

Here's a list of the players that attended:

 

 

Quote


  • ALEXANDER, DEONTEZ, WR, Franklin College
  • BECK, JASON, LB, Eastern Michigan
  • BENTLEY, JA'WHAUN, LB, Purdue
  • COBBS, SIMMIE, WR, Indiana
  • COOK, JOHN, S, Purdue
  • CRAWFORD, JAMES, DE, Illinois
  • DILAURO, CHRISTIAN, G, Illinois
  • DUNLAP, JAYLEN, CB, Illinois
  • DUTRA, CHASE, S, Indiana
  • EPPS, RAYMOND, FB, SMU
  • EZECHUKWU, DANNY, LB, Purdue
  • FANT, RASHARD, CB, Indiana
  • FERRER, NICHOLAS, QB, Saint Francis (Ind.)
  • FIELDS, ANTONIO, S, Indiana
  • FOSTER, KENDRICK, RB, Illinois
  • GOOCH, GREGORY, DE, Indiana
  • HOLCOMB, RUBEN, T, Indianapolis
  • HUDSON, GARRETT, LB, Purdue
  • HUNTE, DA'WAN, CB, Purdue
  • LAGOW, RICHARD, QB, Indiana
  • MAHOUNGOU, ANTHONY, WR, Purdue
  • MCCOLLUM, TRAVIS, LB, Purdue
  • MCCRAY, ROBERT, DE, Indiana
  • MILES, ANTOINE, DE, Purdue
  • OAKES, GRIFFIN, K, Indiana
  • OKONYE, JOSHUA, CB, Purdue
  • PHILLIPS, GREGORY, WR, Purdue
  • ROBERTS, AUSTIN, TE, UCLA
  • ROBINSON, GELEN, DT, Purdue
  • SCALES, TEGRAY, LB, Indiana
  • STEINMETZ, DAVID, OT, Purdue
  • THOMAS, IAN, TE, Indiana
  • TURNER, MALIK, WR, Illinois
  • WILLIS, JOSH, LB, Butler
  • WILLIS, KEVIN, DT, Ball State
  • WILSON, EDDY, DT, Purdue
  • WINBUSH, ANTHONY, DE, Ball State
  • WOZNIAK, NATHANIEL, TE, Minnesota
     

(Twelve schools represented: Purdue [12], Indiana [11], Illinois [5], Ball State [2], Butler [1], Eastern Michigan [1], Franklin College [1], Indianapolis [1], Minnesota [1], Saint Francis [1], SMU [1], UCLA [1])

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colts hosting Georgia OT/OG Isaiah Wynn for a top 30 visit today:

 

 

One of my favorite O-linemen this year. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colts have met with Old Dominion RB Ray Lawry

 

 

Temple DE/OLB Jacob Martin has had either a workout or top 30 visit with the Colts:

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Colts have met with Old Dominion RB Ray Lawry

 

 

Temple DE/OLB Jacob Martin has had either a workout or top 30 visit with the Colts:

 Ray Lawry!!! I've watched his entire college career at ODU. He's a short, stocky guy, but he's been insanely productive despite not having much at the QB position the past 2 seasons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's one that would fit into @NewColtsFan 's theory about why Ballard gets certain player on official visits and not others:

 

Colts will host Texas CB Holton Hill for top 30 visit: 

 

 

Holton Hill is a very talented player that fits a lot of Ballard's criteria(big, fast, athletic, good ball skills) but has some off-the field concerns. 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 9:28 AM, stitches said:

The thing is... this year it seems like a lot of our visits are for fringe/small school type of players. Look at those names:

 

One thing I learned from listening to an ex GM, if those latter round/UDFA promising players were not at the combine , they have no medical info on him.  Often, these guys also get a full physical checkout by team docs at their interview/workout with the team.  You just can't draft an injured player nobody knew was injured...  {cue the Get me the CarFax jingle...}

 

half_carfox.png

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2018 at 6:47 AM, krunk said:

Looks like that other reporter might be on to something I guess maybe at least from an interest standpoint.   Talent is undeniable I'll say that.  Of course I don't like all the baggage. If Ballard pulls the trigger he must have really felt comfortable with his due dilligence.

Well if any coach is going to kick his butt into gear it’s probably Reich 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://draftanalyst.com/nfl-draft-news-notes-april-15

Colts have had a private workout with Delaware DT Bilal Nichols:

 

Quote

 

One defensive lineman sneaking up draft boards is Bilal Nichols of Delaware. We presently grade Nichols as a sixth-round prospect, but he could sneak into the fourth round. Nichols had a solid week of practice for the Shrine Game and turned in a terrific combine performance.

Teams feel that Nichols not only offers potential at defensive tackle but could also line up as a two-gap end. The small-school prospect has had individual workouts with the Baltimore Ravens, New Orleans Saints, Philadelphia Eagles, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots and Indianapolis Colts. Nichols will be on an official visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers tomorrow.  As we noted during the combine theNew York Jets had also shown a lot of interest in Nichols.

 

 

Colts had a private workout with Temple DT Jullian Taylor on Saturday:

Quote

 

We’ve written about Jullian Taylor numerous times the past three weeks, and it appears the Temple senior is a lock to be drafted. Taylor was not graded by scouts entering the season and was not invited to the combine but now grades as a solid last-day pick.

Taylor has been a very busy man the past few weeks and will be busy through next week’s deadline for official visits. The sleeper lineman worked out for the Indianapolis Colts on Saturday and has official visits with the Green Bay Packers, Atlanta Falcons and Tennessee Titans coming up this week.

 

 

Worth pointing out that both of those showed great athletic testing, which fits in what Eberflus and Ballard seem to want out of their linemen:

 

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-temple

Quote

 

Jullian Taylor, a player not graded by scouts coming into the year, displayed next-level athleticism during the pro day. Taylor measured 6-foot-4-inches and 295 pounds. He timed as fast as 4.83 in the 40, completed 31 reps on the bench press and touched 33 inches in the vertical jump. He then put that athleticism on display during position drills.

Taylor, who we presently grade as a sixth-round prospect, was never mentioned by scouts entering the season. But a terrific senior campaign, including a 10-tackle, 4.5-tackle-for-loss performance against Central Florida, helped put him on the map.

 

 

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-delaware

Quote

At the combine, Nichols timed 4.95 in the 40, including a terrific 10-yard split of 1.73. As we reported from Indianapolis, teams are excited about the small-school defender's athleticism and ability to play multiple positions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 12:33 PM, stitches said:

Here's one that would fit into @NewColtsFan 's theory about why Ballard gets certain player on official visits and not others:

 

Colts will host Texas CB Holton Hill for top 30 visit: 

 

 

Holton Hill is a very talented player that fits a lot of Ballard's criteria(big, fast, athletic, good ball skills) but has some off-the field concerns. 

 

 

I’m more comfortable drafting him then Calloway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.