Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chubb or Barkley at #3?

AllYouNeedIsLuck

Who would you rather the Colts draft at #3?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Saquon Barkley or Bradley Chubb?

• Barkley
    • Chubb

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You would have a point if Philly didn't have to score 41 points just to feel safe at the end. Yes Philly had a huge strip sack toward the end but other than that their Defense/Pass Rush was lousy. It was a huge play, yes, but without Philly score 41 points they lose.

The takeaway from that game game should be that the Pats OC pretty much nullified the vaunted Eagles pass rush by a variety of quick passes, screens, etc.  Good coaching and execution can beat a great defense.  On both sides.  

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

Well, I never said he could help the team the most....just that I would prefer him over Barkley.

Thats your prerogative, I was responding to your question about position bias.  

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You and many in here make sense but the problem I have I am not sure Chubb will be Great. I think Barkley will be.

They might, they might not. If you like one better than another that's fine. We all have our own view and some of us are right while others are wrong. 

22 minutes ago, NDcolt said:

Finally some fiery, what makes him your cornerstone player? NFL hasn’t seen 1 Saquons let alone 5?  Agree we need pass rush but is Chubbs our answer?  If so, please tell us what makes him your guy.  Can’t compare CJ to SB, CJ didn’t have the muscle to take on hits.  

Trent Richardson did. He was can't miss and that didn't pan out so well. All these prospects have traits that make them a top prospect. Yet some guys don't translate for a myriad of reasons. Barkley and Chubb could tank. But I'd rather tank on top 2 most important position in the game than in the bottom 5 in terms of positional value.

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

The takeaway from that game game should be that the Pats OC pretty much nullified the vaunted Eagles pass rush by a variety of quick passes, screens, etc.  Good coaching and execution can beat a great defense.  On both sides.  

But it didn’t beat the defense. The defense won the turn over battle. The defense made the play when it had to.

The patriots shouldn’t of had to score 42 points to win the game. Their offense was perfect all night long, almost, it was their defense that lost the game, not sure why this is even debatable.

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

They might, they might not. If you like one better than another that's fine. We all have our own view and some of us are right while others are wrong. 

Trent Richardson did. He was can't miss and that didn't pan out so well. All these prospects have traits that make them a top prospect. Yet some guys don't translate for a myriad of reasons. Barkley and Chubb could tank. But I'd rather tank on top 2 most important position in the game than in the bottom 5 in terms of positional value.

Pts well respected!  Trent Richardson couldn’t hold Saquons jock strap, what a miss by MOST.  Can’t believe scouts/teams didn’t see the Alabama line as the reason for dominance just like every other Alabama rb.

Understood why so many are hesitant on Saquon, Ricky Williams, 2 yd Trent just to name a few but anybody watching the Big Ten has to see the projection these measurable bring.  I’m talking a Marshall Faulk on Steroids, a fantasy owners dream.  I couldn’t name one rb that he would compare to other than maybe Eric Dickerson?

Expert: Matt Miller, Bleacher Report

Date of mock draft: Feb. 5 

Selection: Bradley Chubb, defensive end, North Carolina State

——————————

Expert: Dan Kadar, SBNation

——————————

Expert: 
Chris Trapasso, CBS Sports

——————————

Expert: 
Charlie Campbell, WalterFootball.com

——————————

Expert: 
R.J. White, CBS Sports

Date of mock draft: Feb. 2 

——————————

Expert: 
Luke Easterling, Draftwire/USA Today

Date of mock draft: Feb. 1 

——————————

Expert: 
Walter Cherepinsky, WalterFootball.com

——————————

Expert:
 Bucky Brooks, NFL.com

Date of mock draft: Jan. 30 

——————————

Expert: Lance Zierlein, NFL.com

——————————

Expert: 
Bryan Fischer, Athlon Sports & Life

——————————

Expert:
 Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network

Date of mock draft: Jan. 26 

——————————

Expert:
 Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN

Date of mock draft: Jan. 18 

——————————

Expert: 
Steve Palazzolo, Pro Football Focus

Selection: Maurice Hurst, defensive tackle, Michigan

——————————

Expert: 
Eric Galko, Sporting News

Date of mock draft: Jan. 17 

Selection: Orlando Brown, offensive tackle, Oklahoma

——————————

Expert: 
Josh Norris, Rotoworld

Date of mock draft: Jan. 9 

——————————

Expert:
 Todd McShay, ESPN

Date of mock draft: Dec. 13, 2017

I'm still thinking Chubb, although bringing in the offense-oriented Mickey D may have some influence on that decision.  Still, it's up to Ballard, and knowing how much he values the lines, I'd have to expect that he will ultimately go with a guy like Chubb and then address the offense thereafter.

14 hours ago, NDcolt said:

Pts well respected!  Trent Richardson couldn’t hold Saquons jock strap, what a miss by MOST.  Can’t believe scouts/teams didn’t see the Alabama line as the reason for dominance just like every other Alabama rb.

Understood why so many are hesitant on Saquon, Ricky Williams, 2 yd Trent just to name a few but anybody watching the Big Ten has to see the projection these measurable bring.  I’m talking a Marshall Faulk on Steroids, a fantasy owners dream.  I couldn’t name one rb that he would compare to other than maybe Eric Dickerson?

He will be good, very good, and I have little doubt about that.  I think most people's reservations (mine in particular) have less to do with him as a player and more to do with what position he plays.  With your first two picks, lets assume for the sake of argument that you went pass rusher and running back and hit on both.   Similar to a successfully drafted QB taken in the first, a pass rushing DE will net you a better benefit more so than other positions if you draft one that sticks.  The cumulative benefit of a hit with the RB drafted in the 2nd round would be greater, theoretically, than an RB drafted in the first and pass rusher in the 2nd.  But that's just playing the odds.  I'm well aware that prospects aren't so easily reduced to formula, and I wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted Barkley and he was the next Barry Sanders.  We still need to find a strong pass rusher somewhere, and I just think that's harder to do  in the 2nd round or later or, in terms of next year, when we usually draft in the mid-late 1st round.  Comparing DEs to RBs is apples and oranges, so how do we make our team as good as possible with the picks we have?  Reasonable minds can and usually do disagree on the answer to that question...

16 hours ago, NDcolt said:

All I’m asking Superman for the sake of this board is to sell the class on taking Chubb # 3 overall?  Tell us why CHUBB is your pick?  What about him convinces you he’s #3 material other than a need?  Give us something that Screams he’s our guy.  ND made him a Casper which scares the heck out of me @ 3.  It isn’t about Barkley vs Chubb but it is at same time, both are predicted to be our picks @ 3.  Why do many experts have Barkley the #1 overall best talent in this draft, they see what I’m seeing.  Again, not saying your wrong but sell the class.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/black-or-white

To be clear, you're the one banging the table for your man. I'm not banging the table for Chubb. All the hay isn't in the barn, so I'm not pushing for Chubb at #3... yet. I voted for Chubb in this poll because it's an either/or poll, that doesn't mean I've decided we should definitely take Chubb. But if it was either/or on draft day, it's Chubb for me.

My argument is against taking a RB at #3, and I've outlined my argument in that regard a hundred times already. I got sucked back in here because I felt you were twisting the point (and still do), but I don't care to back through all the reasons I don't want a RB at #3 again. 

And it's not a positional need discussion. It's a positional value discussion, and it's only about pass rusher vs RB because Chubb is worthy of being in the discussion in the first place. You may feel Barkley is the best player in the draft, but Chubb is consensus top five, easily. So we're discussion two similarly rated players in this draft, not an outstanding prospect vs a JAG bum who just happens to be a pass rusher.

I'm also curious which ND game you watched. Chubb had 8 total tackles, 3 for loss, and a sack against ND. And Barkley had some bad games as well...

14 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Expert: Matt Miller, Bleacher Report

——————————

Expert: Dan Kadar, SBNation

——————————

Expert: 
Chris Trapasso, CBS Sports

——————————

Expert: 
Charlie Campbell, WalterFootball.com

——————————

Expert: 
R.J. White, CBS Sports

Date of mock draft: Feb. 2 

——————————

Expert: 
Luke Easterling, Draftwire/USA Today

——————————

Expert: 
Walter Cherepinsky, WalterFootball.com

——————————

Expert:
 Bucky Brooks, NFL.com

——————————

Expert: Lance Zierlein, NFL.com

——————————

Expert: 
Bryan Fischer, Athlon Sports & Life

——————————

Expert:
 Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network

Date of mock draft: Jan. 26 

——————————

Expert:
 Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN

——————————

Expert: 
Steve Palazzolo, Pro Football Focus

Selection: Maurice Hurst, defensive tackle, Michigan

——————————

Expert: 
Eric Galko, Sporting News

Date of mock draft: Jan. 17 

Selection: Orlando Brown, offensive tackle, Oklahoma

——————————

Expert: 
Josh Norris, Rotoworld

Date of mock draft: Jan. 9 

——————————

Expert:
 Todd McShay, ESPN

Date of mock draft: Dec. 13, 2017

With all those experts predictions, now I’m 99% sure we won’t be taking Chubb.  Or anyone else on that list.  

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

With all those experts predictions, now I’m 99% sure we won’t be taking Chubb.  Or anyone else on that list.  

Not sure if you're serious or not, but things can - and probably will - change after FA and the combine.

Personally, if both Chubb and Barks are there at 3 I would go for Chubb.  The offense will be much better with the return of a healthy Luck.  If Ballard can score Solder and Norwell that will make it even better.  Just about any back can run behind that line.

We don't require an elite player at RB, but the defense requires a much better option at the edge.  Chubb would make our D much better and the team, overall, more balanced.

5 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Not sure if you're serious or not, but things can - and probably will - change after FA and the combine.

Personally, if both Chubb and Barks are there at 3 I would go for Chubb.  The offense will be much better with the return of a healthy Luck.  If Ballard can score Solder and Norwell that will make it even better.  Just about any back can run behind that line.

We don't require an elite player at RB, but the defense requires a much better option at the edge.  Chubb would make our D much better and the team, overall, more balanced.

I was half serious, look at last years top 10 prediction.  I think you’re first sentence is spot on.  

On 2/2/2018 at 6:39 PM, Flash7 said:

I see a bit of a "Bait & Switch" here.

Teams that need a starting QB would gladly take a QB with pick #3. However, I think it would be a terrible idea to pick a back up QB at pick #3.

He'll be a backup for a few years -- like Young to Montana -- then replace Luck.  If Luck gets hurt again or fails to return to his old form, we're royally screwed.  You cannot expect to get another shot this high in a draft to pick Luck's replacement.  Pick #3 is too valuable to waste on anything other than a QB.

3 minutes ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

He'll be a backup for a few years -- like Young to Montana -- then replace Luck.  If Luck gets hurt again or fails to return to his old form, we're royally screwed.  You cannot expect to get another shot this high in a draft to pick Luck's replacement.  Pick #3 is too valuable to waste on anything other than a QB.

yeah-uh-huh-right-go-on-you-totally-know