Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chubb or Barkley at #3?

AllYouNeedIsLuck

Who would you rather the Colts draft at #3?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Saquon Barkley or Bradley Chubb?

• Barkley
    • Chubb

I just want to get a general sense of what this board thinks. This is assuming we keep the #3 pick and don't trade back. Who would you rather have?

I personally would take Barkley. He looks like he could be a once in a decade type RB. Pairing him up with a healthy Luck and with McDaniels and the offense is looking good. We can get a pass rusher or two in free agency. 

Taking running backs early seems to have helped out a few teams of late. Fournette, Gurley. Or how much better the Cowboys are with Zeke than without (even with their great offensive line)

VOTE! And discuss 

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, AllYouNeedIsLuck said:

I just want to get a general sense of what this board thinks. This is assuming we keep the #3 pick and don't trade back. Who would you rather have?

I personally would take Barkley. He looks like he could be a once in a decade type RB. Pairing him up with a healthy Luck and with McDaniels and the offense is looking good. We can get a pass rusher or two in free agency. 

Taking running backs early seems to have helped out a few teams of late. Fournette, Gurley. Or how much better the Cowboys are with Zeke than without (even with their great offensive line)

VOTE! And discuss 

My opinion, you take the best talent available, and that is Barkley. I think he is a can't miss elite prospect. With that said, my first priority would be to trade back, and still land either Chubb, Fitzpatrick, or Nelson. 

But if I were stuck at #3, I would take Barkley since I know he is a can't miss. 

2 hours ago, AllYouNeedIsLuck said:

VOTE! And discuss 

Agreed. I suggest we pursue Ezekiel Ansah of Detroit.

From the breakdowns I'm hearing about Chubb, I'd probably have to take him.  Non-stop motor and great against the run as well as a pass rusher...  Those kind of guys are impossible to get.  McDaniels with the Patriots has shown you that he can get production out of many running backs drafted lower.  No way you can pass up a game wrecker like Chubb.  Especially since we haven't had a real pass rush threat in years.  And because of that, even backup QB's have had all day to light us up.  Time for that to end.

I grew up in central Pennsylvania, Penn State territory. I still follow PSU closely. I'm a big fan of Barkleys, but I still say we should draft Chubb.

Why?

Reason #1:

Even as great a skill set as Barkley clearly has he still needs a run blocking OL. In games I watched where PSU's OL wasn't getting the job done, Barkley was not a wunderkind.

Against           Carries         Yds         Yds/carry

Indiana             20              56              2.8

OSU                 21              44              2.1

Rutgers            14              35              2.5

Reason #2:

Barkley has one trait similar to what some dislike about Marlon Mack. Barkley shows a tendency to go for the home run. Rather than take the two or three yards where he is supposed to run between tackles he will fairly often retreat, sometimes reversing field, and end up losing several yards. Can this be coached out of Barkley? I don't know. I also don't know what the PSU coaches wanted him to do.

Reason #3:

I want the Colts to build their future OL based on pass blocking skill much more so than smash mouth road graders. Ideally you look for both but let's face it not every really good pass blocker is a clear them out type run blocker. In my world we would have a very, very good pass blocking OL that may be average in opening holes for RBs. Yeah, I know there be folks saying "I want both. We should have both. Why can't we have both? Why can't we have a Joe Thomas and a Tyron Smith and an Alex Mack and a David DeCastro and a Zack Martin as our OL?" No, there is a salary cap. You usually only have 7 draft picks each year. We have a weak roster with many other holes to fill. The other 31 teams have scouting departments too, etc. etc. 

This may not be ideal for Barkley. You might see games like he had against Indiana, the Buckeyes and Rutgers.

Reason #4:

As many have said, you can get good, but not as great as Barkley in later rounds. Kamara, Hunt, David Johnson, etc.

Reason #5:

I think we could do quite well offensively with a running back that has the ability to "get skinny" when the line can clear out only narrow gaps. A back that can very reliably get you four yards. Similar to Gore but with a bit more burst than Gore currently has. I saw that type attribute in Sony Michel but not Nick Chubb in the national championship game for example.

Reason #6:

I look at the Pats offense as an example, they have done well with LeGarrette Blount, Jonas Gray and Dion Lewis. There are no Adrian Petersons or Barry Sanders in that group. Heck, we had Lewis for six days and then we cut him.

Reason #7:

The Colts pass defense would greatly, greatly benefit from a dynamic edge rusher. It would really help our secondary if they didn't have to cover for 4 or 5 seconds or more.

Reason #8:

It is highly unlikely that you will find a Chubb type anywhere else. Teams don't let really good edge rushers go in free agency. You likely need a top 10-15 draft pick to get really good one. They are very, very hard to come by. Moreso than RBs.

Therefore, even though I am a PSU fan and I love Barkley, my vote was for Chubb.

@Buddy Lee All good points.  I’ve said it before, a team shouldn’t take a RB at 1 unless they have all the other positions down.  

I also said I'm like the guy with a hole in the roof and leaky pipes.  I even have a pretty good old car and can pick up a decent Ford and fix the house.  

But I still want that Corvette!   I’m glad JB has the decision, not me.  

I pick Chubb. Yes Barkley would change lucks game from throwing 60+ a game but, our secondary def is young and going to be good! Pair that up with a decent/good pass rush to get QB’s off their rhythm and we could dominate .... imagine hooker hawking the ball after Barkley made the QB rush his throw and air it up? 

41 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Or better yet...

1) Chubb

2) Fitzpatrick and trade down

3) Barkley/Nelson/Ridley (group all the bad ideas together)

I'm not keen on Fitzpatrick for the Colts at 3. While he is a great talent so is Chubb. With the help of a much better pass rush or secondary will look better. We already have Hooker, Geathers and Farley as safeties and scouts aren't sure Fitzpatrick is best suited for CB. BTW, I know you put Chubb at 1 and Fitzpatrick at 2. I'm just posting my thoughts is all.

I am an advocate of BPA but, if close, then similar talent at a position of need and inside the first three rounds,and ove all, avoid possible busts by all means possible (meaning high ceiling, low floor types). Mingo was a Browns bust. TRich was a Browns bust and we had 18 games worth of NFL film on that and we allowed him to become our bust too. Tebow was a Broncos bust. Johnny Football was the bust the Browns got with the 1st round pickup they got from us. First round busts are killers. Dorsett and Werner for us.

I don't believe Fitzpatrick will be a bust, but just not a great fit. Nelson is a great fit and will not be a bust, but positional value is a concern of course. 

4 hours ago, AllYouNeedIsLuck said:

VOTE! And discuss 

I don't believe there will be an A list FA rusher available.
If Barkley is as good as once in a decade Zeke, Gurley or Fournette that would be great.
 Do you take Demarcus Ware or Marshall Faulk? 
 I'll take the Value and likely more games played of the Defender. McDaniels could abuse people with Barkley!  :D

As tempting as it would be to take Barkley, I’m hoping they can trade down to #6 (Jets), still get Chubb and get another pick or two.

Even if they don’t trade down, you need someone to get pressure on Watson, Mariota, et al.

(QBs seem to be coming into the league and picking things up quicker.) 

I just think it would be easier to get a good back in later rounds than a guy like Chubb.

I keep going back and fourth between the two because I think Barkley is a better player but it’s much harder to get pass rushers than it is running backs.  Honestly the Colts could draft Chubb and still get a very good running back in the second round if they want.  

Even then some, including Kieper, think it could be Chubb who is the best player in this draft.  At the moment I think I am leaning towards wanting the Colts to draft Chubb rather than Barkley.  

I really like the idea of trading back a a few spots and then taking that draft capital we collect to come back up into the first. Then with those two picks get 2 of Chubb, Nelson, Fitzpatrick  and Smith. Given that one of them drop out of the top 10 or 15 to make the trade up viable. All are the best at their position. I love the idea of turning our first and second rounders into 2 top 10 talent players by moving around a little. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Somebody has too right? I’m fine with being disliked here, worst source of football intelligence I know of. Superman and about 5 others know what they’re talking about. Rest are brain dead. 

Edit. Looks like there’s more than 5 people with a brain. Well color me surprised! Cudos guys haha 

Tone it down.  It's not gonna help you in any way to trash on the entire forum.

4 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

He edited it, he originally had "uneducated fossils"...lol!  This uneducated fossil would choose Chubb all day long, btw.

I chose Barkley so I guess I have no Fooseball knowledge according to Andrew Luck Fan Club lmao Also he compared Dalvin Cook to Barkley, that is funny. Barkley is much better.

For me, right now, it's Barkley. 

If we're picking between the 2 at #3 overall I think that Barkley is the superior player, and that he would completely change the dynamic of our offence. 

Now, if it's trading back a couple spots picking up 2 2nds or something and taking Chubb, that's a different story. Much closer battle there. 

20 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Not happening so far 

It's close though (40-36 Chubb, so 36 people think drafting Barkley is the thing to do) and taking Barkley isn't stupid considering he may be the next Marshall Faulk or whoever. Also we have Free Agency and 6 other Draft picks where we can load up on Defense and O.Lineman. People act like if we take Barkley at #3 we cant improve our Defense and O.Line, to me that is just silly but that is my opinion.