Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible Draft Scenario I've Been Thinking About

So I was thinking about Cleveland having 2 top 5 picks this year (1 & 4). What I didn't realise is that Cleveland have an NFL best 12 draft picks in this year's draft (4 inside the top 40).

Cleveland's Early Draft Picks

Round 1: #1, #4

Round 2: #33, #36, Philly's 2nd (#61-64)

Round 3: #65

This gives Cleveland license to hunt for specific players that they want. So I was thinking about the following:

#1 - Cleveland take Saquon Barkley. They are likely losing Isaiah Crowell to FA this year as I believe he becomes a UFA after being an RFA last offseason, and Duke Johnson is a COP guy at best. This means that they need to come out of the first 2 rounds with a new starting QB and have access to the draft's best player who happens to be an offensive playmaker. Cleveland realise that Barkley is likely the BPA of the draft. He's being described as a generational RB and so far I've seen nothing to contradict that. They reason that they have another high pick to use on a QB. They play in the hard-nosed running AFC North and at heart are not a finesse football team. Having Barkley means Cleveland can ride him whilst their new QB learns the ropes. Pittsburgh are a declining offense. Big Ben has been teasing retirement and Bell is a malcontent after a king's ransom contract that Pittsburgh can't afford. The Bengals are maddeningly inconsistent and the Ravens aren't the playoff team they were a few years ago. Cleveland have a shot at being a quick riser in a potentially weak division.

#2 - Giants take QB#1. They need to find Eli's heir apparent. Eli has been in a sharp nose dive decline for the past 2 seasons, at least. Having their pick of the QB class is too good to pass up.

#3 - Cleveland take QB#2. Cleveland trade up to stop Denver or the Jets trading in front of them for the next QB on the board. Cleveland give up their #4, #36 & the 2nd rounder got from Philly (somewhere between #61-64). Keep in mind that they may need to outbid Denver and the Jets who may be on Ballard's other line. Cleveland come away with the QB & RB to lead their offense for the next decade. 

#4 - Colts. We strengthen our war chest by adding 2 needed extra 2nd round picks. We could even trade down a little further and take advantage of having Chubb, Minkah and Nelson all available. Or take our pick if we can't work out the right trade for us.

I realise that Cleveland are rebuilding (again/still?) and they need picks to do that. But this trade up doesn't leave them at much of a disadvantage because the only picks they have given up are picks that they have received in previous trades. They still have the first pick of day 2 and the first pick of round 3.

Just a passing idea I've been mulling over.

Like this scenario. Sure we'll get calls from Broncos and jets trying to jump up even at 4. If we traded back twice and still pick 6th and gain three extra 2nd round picks and maybe a extra 3rd. Then cross your fingers Chubb is still there or worst case you just take Nelson or Fitzpatrick. 

7 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Like this scenario. Sure we'll get calls from Broncos and jets trying to jump up even at 4. If we traded back twice and still pick 6th and gain three extra 2nd round picks and maybe a extra 3rd. Then cross your fingers Chubb is still there or worst case you just take Nelson or Fitzpatrick. 

If Cleveland takes anything besides a QB at #1 overall, Ballard's phone will be ringing off the hook with trade-up offers.

So honestly, the top three picks are likely QBs. The Browns, the Giants, and the team the Colts trade with. So, why woiuld the Browns not figure that out and take the best QB out there? They will have the 4th pick and take Barkley if he's their guy. The Browns aren't worrying about trading with anyone. They control this draft. Take their QB; get Barlkley; and then get the BPA from thereon. They will have a field day. 

5 hours ago, Hoose said:

So honestly, the top three picks are likely QBs. The Browns, the Giants, and the team the Colts trade with. So, why woiuld the Browns not figure that out and take the best QB out there? They will have the 4th pick and take Barkley if he's their guy. The Browns aren't worrying about trading with anyone. They control this draft. Take their QB; get Barlkley; and then get the BPA from thereon. They will have a field day. 

Great, great point. Browns have TWELVE picks. They have multiple extra first and second round picks. If they come out the draft with a QB and a RB and miss all on the rest of their picks, they could still come out with the most improvement team-wise from a single draft.

Imagine that... Browns with a decent QB, all-pro RB, a rising defense (Garrett and company). That is easily a 8-8 team if not more. And whatever else they hit in this draft is just a cherry on the top. 

A 1 AND a 4? That is just insane. That is the same value as two once-in-a-generation picks for a stable franchise like the Colts or Patriots or Steelers. In one draft. With a QB and RB that could change their team completely.

15 minutes ago, masnerj said:

Great, great point. Browns have TWELVE picks. They have multiple extra first and second round picks. If they come out the draft with a QB and a RB and miss all on the rest of their picks, they could still come out with the most improvement team-wise from a single draft.

Imagine that... Browns with a decent QB, all-pro RB, a rising defense (Garrett and company). That is easily a 8-8 team if not more. And whatever else they hit in this draft is just a cherry on the top. 

A 1 AND a 4? That is just insane. That is the same value as two once-in-a-generation picks for a stable franchise like the Colts or Patriots or Steelers. In one draft. With a QB and RB that could change their team completely.

Exactly. If the Browns just hit on half their picks it would be monumental for them. I have a feeling this is not the old Browns of the past.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think it would be stupid at all. Like it or not the Browns control this draft. They have a chance to not only get the best RB but their QB as well.

Unless they value the top 3 QBs exactly the same it would be stupid to take Saquan 1st overall and be left with 2nd or 3rd choice at QB. 

I like the possibility of getting extra picks from Cleveland.  Get their 4th and give our 3rd to pick up two extra picks.  We'll still get Chubb and other position players needed for this team which could use quality players in key positions.  

3 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Unless they value the top 3 QBs exactly the same it would be stupid to take Saquan 1st overall and be left with 2nd or 3rd choice at QB. 

Just maybe there is not that much difference between 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice QBs?  That's the thing intriguing about this draft. The Browns have enough picks to move all around the draft with 12 picks.

My best case scenario:

Ballard finds a way to trade down, ideally picks up atleast an extra 1 and a 2, and then we still get Chubb.

Heck, even if we trade down, grab an extra 1 and a 2, and pick up Quentin Nelson or Minkah Fitzpatrick or Raquon Smith, we are coming out ahead. My only requirement for my first round pick this year is that we MUST hit and grab atleast an above-average starter at an important position. If we grab a stable and good starter at the very least with our 1st round pick AND pick up extra picks, we are good to go.