Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saquon Barkley is a Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders Hybrid! You don't pass on that period!

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not down playing crap, no more than people down playing RB's being important. I am using examples where having great Pass Rushers doesn't mean you automatically win games.

No one made that argument.     Not me, or anyone else.

Nice straw man.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No one made that argument.     Not me, or anyone else.

Nice straw man.

Yes, people on here constantly downplay the importance of a RB on every Draft Thread. I even posted a question to a Poster yesterday, if he had a chance to Draft Barry Sanders in the top 3 would he, he said no. Freakin Barry Sanders! There have been at least 100 Posters on here that say drafting a RB in the Top 3 is just plain dumb and they would never do it. I am not down playing how valuable Pass Rushers are, I know they are extremely valuable but I also think a RB the quality of a Barkley can even be important to a team winning. If we take Chubb at #3, I even understand why because Pass Rushers are important. I was merely using some Pass Rushers that have had Good seasons or that have Great talent where it didn't translate into wins. Like many in here say drafting a RB in the Top 5 doesn't translate into winning SB's which was a discussion in here the last 2 days.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes, people on here constantly downplay the importance of a RB on every Draft Thread. I even posted a question to a Poster yesterday, if he had a chance to Draft Barry Sanders in the top 3 would he, he said no. Freakin Barry Sanders! There have been at least 100 Posters on here that say drafting a RB in the Top 3 is just plain dumb and they would never do it. I am not down playing how valuable Pass Rushers are, I know they are extremely valuable but I also think a RB the quality of a Barkley can even be important to a team winning. If we take Chubb at #3, I even understand why because Pass Rushers are important. I was merely using some Pass Rushers that have had Good seasons or that have Great talent where it didn't translate into wins. Like many in here say drafting a RB in the Top 5 doesn't translate into winning SB's which was a discussion in here the last 2 days.

I think we've beaten this one to death.     I'm sorry about that.

So, I'll let your post stand unapposed.

(By the way,  I'd like to think I'd be OK drafting Barry Sanders 3rd overall.    As you put it,  Freakin Barry Sanders! And even thumbs up to Eric Dickerson and LaDainian Tomlinson too!)

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think we've beaten this one to death.     I'm sorry about that.

So, I'll let your post stand unapposed.

(By the way,  I'd like to think I'd be OK drafting Barry Sanders 3rd overall.    As you put it,  Freakin Barry Sanders! And even thumbs up to Eric Dickerson and LaDainian Tomlinson too!)

No bigge, I am not even upset. Maybe I didn't make my point come across right so I am sorry as well. I understand why people think like they do about RB's and we need help in other area's obviously like O.Line and Pass Rushers. I am just going to roll with what Ballard does and trust the process. I am fine with Barkley, Chubb or even Nelson. I know taking a G at #3 is a gamble too but he is a damn Great Guard. Free Agency will tell us a lot.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No bigge, I am not even upset. Maybe I didn't make my point come across right so I am sorry as well. I understand why people think like they do about RB's and we need help in other area's obviously like O.Line and Pass Rushers. I am just going to roll with what Ballard does and trust the process. I am fine with Barkley, Chubb or even Nelson. I know taking a G at #3 is a gamble too but he is a damn Great Guard. Free Agency will tell us a lot.

I've said it before,  but after tonight, it's worth saying again.....

If Ballard picks Barkley,  and he might,  then I'll support the pick.    I may not like it,  but I'll support it because I like and trust Ballard.     But Barkley wouldn't be my pick if I were making it.    I'm sure there are many here who are glad I'm not!     And that's ok....           :peek:

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've said it before,  but after tonight, it's worth saying again.....

If Ballard picks Barkley,  and he might,  then I'll support the pick.    I may not like it,  but I'll support it because I like and trust Ballard.     But Barkley wouldn't be my pick if I were making it.    I'm sure there are many here who are glad I'm not!     And that's ok....         :peek:

To be honest I really would love to build our O.Line up is why I love Nelson. If Luck does come back healthy, the last thing I want for him is to get injured again. All of these sacks we have been giving up is nuts. I would try for Norwell in Free Agency anyway if I was Indy but a lot of other teams will too.

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

People downplay the importance of RB in relation to other positions  A very good or even just good RB will usually be good enough.

Given the Colts current situation and roster I would not take B Sanders at #3 either ... This isn't 80's or 90's: "Good-Very Good" Pass Rushers, Corners, etc ... are more beneficial than "Elite" RBs.

I bet the Steelers would have opted for Shazier and a "Good" RB over "Elite" Bell and no Shazier for their playoff run if given the choice.

It's Ballard who runs the business, but he stated and also proved that he listens. With McDaniels arriving, he will have his voice  heard. And because of that, I think the Colts will go for someone like Deion Lewis in free agency, and draft another guy in the 2nd, maybe 3rd day, then McDaniels will implement a similar running by committee running game, what the Patriot's been using for a long time.

That does not require an elite rusher, so I just don't see them drafting a running back in the first round.

At the end of the day, I would be happy with either. I do think you could get 80% of Barkley's production from a back in round 2 or 3. I don't think the same can be said for a pass rusher of Nick Chubb's calibre. The other side of the coin is, I don't believe there is a single player who can improve us more for 2018 than Barkley.

7 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Why won't ballard spend Big on pass rusher or rb when we are too 4 in cap space??

Because FA RBs already have tread on the tires and Chubb at 3 is a better long term investment than Lawrence who only played lights out in a contract year.

8 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Why won't ballard spend Big on pass rusher or rb when we are too 4 in cap space??

Because FA RBs already have tread on the tires and Chubb at 3 is a better long term investment than Lawrence who only played lights out in a contract year.

8 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Hear me out, we have 85 Million in cap, we can grab Norwell and overpay if necessary. ..As far as edge rushers Lawrence from Cowboys or Ziggy Ansah will be available we can get 1, and with eberflous as DC we have inside track on Lawrence...If it all works out we can sign Norwell, resign Mewhort...Sign Lawrence or Ansah as edge..Sign Robinson, Watkins, Amendola, Pryor, or Landry or 2 of them..Draft the MONSTER Barkley,  draft best ILB IN 2nd rd...Resign Melvin, Vinatieri,Desir and watch out...RT can be drafted, signed, or worked out between Clark, Haeg, and Goode..Haeg is a keeper regardless because of versatility. .If we have chance to draft Barkley and pass it will haunt this franchise for a long time, unless we somehow manage to sign Bell, and draft Chubb or Fitzpatrick which is the backup plan...

I thought overreactions were on Monday?  Comparing Barkley to Barry or Bo is just terrible.  If anyone I might say Edge/Faulk but even then I am lose with the pro comparisons.

Just read this draft profile and then tell me u don’t pick him at 3!!

Barkley is a talented back who should garner a top-five pick in this year's draft, regardless of the idea the past few years that the shelf life and durability of running backs doesn't warrant the risk of a top pick. Barkley is durable enough to handle a season full of carries, and with the CBA rules putting a ceiling on rookie salaries, it will be tough for teams to pass on such a talented, polished back that will be a franchise back for years to come. Barkley is as compact and coiled an athlete that the running back position has seen since Adrian Peterson. Barkley is explosive, powerful and balanced, the three most shining traits that are evident when he ran the ball for Penn st. He is a heady and instinctual player who is patient enough to wait for blocks to develop within the scheme and quick enough to change course and cut backfield to daylight. Barkley has a strong core that he uses to break arm tackles and get physical leverage under would-be blockers or blitzers in pass protection. He is a true three-down back who can be effective on screens and out of the backfield catching the ball. Barkley is an ideal height, big enough to remain a force in the power run game, yet small enough to remain elusive and hide behind blocks.....

Oops, wait this is the draft profile on Trent Richardson that I accidentally replaced with Barkley and Penn State for. My bad.... and no I am not saying Barkley is a bust. Just saying I’d rather not take a RB at 3. But if we do I hope he is awesome! I just hope we can block and keep people from scoring 30 points as well. 

So for those of you pushing for Chubb instead of Barkley, I would like you all to go watch some tape on Marcus Davenport, who we could get in the second round and I believe is about on par ability-wise with Chubb. Give me Barkley in the first and Davenport in the second!!

20 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

So for those of you pushing for Chubb instead of Barkley, I would like you all to go watch some tape on Marcus Davenport, who we could get in the second round and I believe is about on par ability-wise with Chubb. Give me Barkley in the first and Davenport in the second!!

Barkley will go #1 to the Browns.

8 hours ago, akcolt said:

I agree like I said no problem if we take him and I'm usually no way RB in the first round guy. He's a different cat. If Chubb checks out and can wreck the QB for the next 10 years it's a tough call. Chubb's the only guy I look at over Barkley at 3. 

With our defensive line and O-line as short on talent as they are, we cannot afford to take a running back...

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Mel Kiper: Bradley Chubb might be 'the best player in the draft'

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/22637/mel-kiper-could-make-the-argument-bradley-chubb-is-the-best-player-in-the-draft

This is who we need.  He's a tone setter

agreed.....we need to stock that defense..we have the QB, the TE, the WR and the running back.

..we need to stock the defense

We've got to lay hands on DeShawn Watson next year

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

With our defensive line and O-line as short on talent as they are, we cannot afford to take a running back...

If McDaniels is named the head coach I am not too worried about our offense especially if Luck comes back.

That can't be said of the bottom of the league defense. We need a pass rusher a lot more than a RB. A pass rusher would make every other player on the defense better.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If McDaniels is named the head coach I am not too worried about our offense especially if Luck comes back.

That can't be said of the bottom of the league defense. We need a pass rusher a lot more than a RB. A pass rusher would make every other player on the defense better.

exactly......we have the QBs, the RBs  and the receivers.....

We need help (and health) in the O-line but we've got to get a top pass rusher.....

I don't think we'll pass up the top-rated DE

9 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

agreed.....we need to stock that defense..we have the QB, the TE, the WR and the running back.

..we need to stock the defense

We've got to lay hands on DeShawn Watson next year

However it wouldn't totally shock me to see the Giants or Cleveland take Chubb before us depending on what they do in the offseason with FA.   If that happens then I think you are looking at taking Barkley with #3 or trading back to pick up somebody like Nelson or Minkah Fitzpatrick.   Maybe even Arden Key.

I wish there was a way we could get Chubb and Edmunds from VT.   I'd love to see him roaming the middle of our defense.  You never know what happens though because I don't think anybody expected Miles Jack to be selected in the 2nd round.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

The Browns would be smart to take a look at Chubb. Especially if they can score a QB in FA. Chubb and Garrett would be a nasty 1-2

Also I think the Giants need to pick up a QB, but if they decide not to I don't think it would be crazy to go with Chubb because all they have is an old JPP and what's his face that they picked up from Miami in FA.  There is room for upgrade there.

Just now, krunk said:

Also I think the Giants need to pick up a QB, but if they decide not to I don't think it would be crazy to go with Chubb because all they have is an old JPP and what's his face that they picked up from Miami in FA.  There is room for upgrade there.

That's what his face is Olivier Vernon from THE U sir, get it right!!! LOL ..I agree though. JPP is not the player he use to be at all. The Giants are hurting for a RB so I could see them taking Barkley and sticking with Eli a lttle longer.

10 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Hear me out, we have 85 Million in cap, we can grab Norwell and overpay if necessary. ..As far as edge rushers Lawrence from Cowboys or Ziggy Ansah will be available we can get 1, and with eberflous as DC we have inside track on Lawrence...If it all works out we can sign Norwell, resign Mewhort...Sign Lawrence or Ansah as edge..Sign Robinson, Watkins, Amendola, Pryor, or Landry or 2 of them..Draft the MONSTER Barkley,  draft best ILB IN 2nd rd...Resign Melvin, Vinatieri,Desir and watch out...RT can be drafted, signed, or worked out between Clark, Haeg, and Goode..Haeg is a keeper regardless because of versatility. .If we have chance to draft Barkley and pass it will haunt this franchise for a long time, unless we somehow manage to sign Bell, and draft Chubb or Fitzpatrick which is the backup plan...

And the King of Hyperbole makes a triumphant return...

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s either him or Chubb at this point.

Don't quite rule out Fitzpatrick either. But I think it's likely that Ballard trades down a few spots and still lands either Chubb, Barkley, or Fitzpatrick. If he trades down to say around 8-10 overall, thats where I could see him target Quenton Nelson. 

9 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Yeah..We need to just blow doors off people offensively. .Colts style..Our defense is already respectable..

To the bolded...

30th in total defense

28th in passing defense

26th in rushing defense

30th in scoring defense

On what planet is that respectable?

Free agency...85 million..get a proven guard and edge already developed..Draft the physical freak rb that'll give belichik nighmares..

How frequently do proven edge rushers actually get to free agency?

I agree...if barkley aint there im taking chubb..i have no doubts about barkley though..Chubb is no guarantee. .Barkley IS

Are any players at any position truly fail-proof?

49 minutes ago, krunk said:

However it wouldn't totally shock me to see the Giants or Cleveland take Chubb before us depending on what they do in the offseason with FA.   If that happens then I think you are looking at taking Barkley with #3 or trading back to pick up somebody like Nelson or Minkah Fitzpatrick.   Maybe even Arden Key.

If that happens Ballard has some serious leverage for teams wanting a franchise QB in either Darnold or Rosen, or a generational RB in Barkley. 

He could easily trade down, get a good haul, and still land a Fitzpatrick or Nelson. 

I keep reading all the reasons why people think we should take Barkley and they sound very convincing,they really do. The problem I have is that we had a probable Hall of Fame running back during the Peyton Manning era and never once made it to the Super Bowl. I've heard it mentioned that he could have an impact like Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, Eric Dickerson, or LaDainian Tomlinson. That sounds great, but not one of them made it to a Super Bowl. I know that it is a team sport and some of them were on some very bad teams, but lets be honest the fastest way to the Super Bowl is to build a superior defense and to have a competent offense. It seems like Tom Brady has a new running back every season and yet the Patriots keep marching on. With Andrew Luck back our offense is going to be much better. If we have a defense that can keep opponents to 20 points per game instead of 25 like this season we should win more games. I would love to have a running back like Barkley, but if our ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl then I think the best way to do that would be to build the defense and take Chubb.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I wish there was a way we could get Chubb and Edmunds from VT.   I'd love to see him roaming the middle of our defense.  You never know what happens though because I don't think anybody expected Miles Jack to be selected in the 2nd round.

Jack was coming off a knee injury when he got drafted. I don’t think Edmunds will drop. With his size, there’s conversation that he may have more upside than Smith. I would expect either Smith or Rashan Evans to be available in the 2nd as a result. More than likely Evans though.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Jack was coming off a knee injury when he got drafted. I don’t think Edmunds will drop. With his size, there’s conversation that he may have more upside than Smith. I would expect either Smith or Rashan Evans to be available in the 2nd as a result. More than likely Evans though.

What I mean is you never know what will happen between now and the draft that causes players to drop.  Myles Jack is a prime example.    Hopefully something happens to where Edumunds drops and we are able to scoop him at the top of the 2nd round.  You never know.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

What I mean is you never know what will happen between now and the draft that causes players to drop.  Myles Jack is a prime example.    Hopefully something happens to where Edumunds drops and we are able to scoop him at the top of the 2nd round.  You never know.

Lol that’s terrible to say!!!! But I get your point. The guy is rare. He shouldn’t be as fast and smooth as he is at that size. And he’s only 19. I think the best we can hope for is that he pushes some other guys to the 2nd.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Lol that’s terrible to say!!!! But I get your point. The guy is rare. He shouldn’t be as fast and smooth as he is at that size. And he’s only 19. I think the best we can hope for is that he pushes some other guys to the 2nd.

There's always somebody sitting there that you never thought would be there.   You are probably right though.