Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Maurice Hurst

Maybe in round 2 if he slips, but if we stay in a 3-4 our D-line is good. He doesn't have the length to play DE in a 3-4 and if we move to a 4-3 Hankins can give a good rush from the middle, he got 7 sacks in 2014 for the Giants. If we trade down I hope it's to target someone like Roquan Smith and maybe Billy Price or Marucs Davenport.

Very good player. We have some capable players on the interior, but Henry Anderson has had some significant injuries. I could see us team Bryan up as an interior penetrator with Ridgeway. Maybe he replaces Grover, or we carry 6 DL. Or maybe Grover takes the next step and shows significant improvement as a Starter next to Hankins and we cut Al Woods and keep 5. I'm not sure, but I do know Bryan is very good.

PFF has him rated as the highest player on their board.  Ahead of Barclay and Chubb.  14 sacks last year and No.2 nationally in run defense playing inside in the big 10.  I could see him as our pick.  ER's are not the only way to get sacks and pressure.  QB's like Brady really hate the pressure from the middle.  The shortest distance to the QB can also result in sacks and pressures.  I wouldn't be to quick to dismiss him as our pick. 

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Do you see Bryan as in inside or outside guy? He has the frame and skills to play both, but I don’t know what his best position is.

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Do you see Bryan as in inside or outside guy? He has the frame and skills to play both, but I don’t know what his best position is.

inside like Watt, but situationally outside

On 1/17/2018 at 10:39 PM, tvturner said:

PFF has him going to us at #3 in their most recent mock drafts.

Not a lot have mocked him to us, they compare him to Atkins/Donald

Anything is possible, but I don't see this happening at all.

One thing I like about PFF is they make people look at things from a different angle. Sometimes they throw things like this out there to see what people think about it. 

Hurst is an excellent player, but I don't think he is a 3-down lineman (YET), so I would not take him that high. He could grow into a larger role, but right now he is an excellent pass rushing,  3-technique defensive lineman. He will have to WOW everyone like Solomon Thomas did last year if he wants to get drafted in the same area Solomon did. 

Hurst needs to get bigger to play on first down.