Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Getting Barkley and Nelson possible

I have been thinking a lot about these two, both great players and both would fill huge gaping holes on our team (assuming Gore is gone). I dont believe drafting a Guard in the top 10 is realistic, which got me thinking what if we were to use our #3 pick on Barkley and somehow trade back up in to the first round to aquire Nelson, do you think if he is still available at say..20-25, we try to make a move, that would be a huge boost for the team if we could get both of these guys. What would it take?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Lol care to elaborate?

Why would we use the 3rd overall pick on a RB? Did we learn nothing from the Manning days? Last two years Luck has played we’ve been top 10 in points scored. Has our defense been top 10? No, or else we would have made the playoffs in 2016.  I can’t believe I even need to elaborate. Not trying to be a * but come on. 

Defense wins rings. Rings > Star Wars numbers 

59 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I have been thinking a lot about these two, both great players and both would fill huge gaping holes on our team (assuming Gore is gone). I dont believe drafting a Guard in the top 10 is realistic, which got me thinking what if we were to use our #3 pick on Barkley and somehow trade back up in to the first round to aquire Nelson, do you think if he is still available at say..20-25, we try to make a move, that would be a huge boost for the team if we could get both of these guys. What would it take?

I'd be more inclined to trade back a few spots (if possible) and take BPA.  Im no draftnic but it might be possible to get a Barkley, Nelson, or Chubb, and add a couple picks if the qb frenzy reaches a full boil.

7 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Why would we use the 3rd overall pick on a RB? Did we learn nothing from the Manning days? Last two years Luck has played we’ve been top 10 in points scored. Has our defense been top 10? No, or else we would have made the playoffs in 2016.  I can’t believe I even need to elaborate. Not trying to be a * but come on. 

Defense wins rings. Rings > Star Wars numbers 

Lol bad day or something? Its just a forum buddy

I'd have no problem taking Barkley. I just think luck needs more help in terms of more then just an oline. We need more skill players. I am tired of seeing our offense completely disappear just because luck isn't under center. I guarantee you we would have won atleast 9 games this year if our offense just could have helped our defense. Defense was not the problem this year.

BPA should take need into account. Position value is a thing. The value above replacement between first round pass rushers vs day 2 pass rushers and first round RBs vs day 2 RBs is not equal. As ALFC said, with Luck in the lineup we're likely to have a potent offense again. If we ever want to compete for SBs again we have to build a defense. We have offensive cornerstones (Luck, Hilton, AC, Kelly). On defense we have Hankins and maybe Malik Hooker?  Just doesn't seem to make sense to splurge on a RB when we have a weak O-line and defense.

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO, All this talk about who to pick at #3 will all go away when Ballard trades down to bring in more drafted players.

I think he is definitely trading back, but probably not more than a couple spots. I am not a greedy person...I will be more than happy with an extra 2nd round pick. But Ballard will probably want (and get) more.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm gonna laugh extremely hard on draft night when the Browns take Barkley at number 1 and their QB at number 4.

Actually, that would be awesome.  The #3 pick would become more valuable to another team that wants to jump ahead of the Browns before they take a QB.

6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

The first pick will be BPA on defense. Hopefully, it's the #6 pick and the Colts have their choice of Chubb/Fitzpatrick.

If Josh McDaniels is the new coach it's almost guaranteed that the Colts will go offense in the first round. They have sent a message that it's about offense again.  Ballard will do all he can to set Josh up for success out the gate.  Irsay also said he wanted to pair an Edge type runner with Luck.   I don't really see the Colts going defense with the first pick. They will address the D with their later picks in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I brought that up a couple of times myself. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

I am hoping for it. It puts the Colts in the catbird seat after the NYG take the #1 QB off the board. The NYJ and DEN could both become trade partners at that point...unless they both address QB in FA/trade (which won't happen).

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

If Josh McDaniels is the new coach it's almost guaranteed that the Colts will go offense in the first round. They have sent a message that it's about offense again.  Ballard will do all he can to set Josh up for success out the gate.  Irsay also said he wanted to pair an Edge type runner with Luck.   I don't really see the Colts going defense with the first pick. They will address the D with their later picks in my opinion.

Not to be argumentative but Irsay will let Ballard take who ever he wants I believe. I just don't think Irsay will tell Ballard who to take. If Ballard does go offense the O-line needs to be the first thing addressed. If it can be taken care of through free agency then maybe?

IMO I just have a feeling we will see the Colts trade down especially if a good offer is made.

10 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

The Patriots have picked one offensive player (Solder) in the 1st round since they picked Maroney in 2006. That was also the only time that an offensive player was their 1st pick as well. 

That's not to say Ballard will do what NE has done...but I don't see McDaniels as a sign that he will go offense that early.

If anything, I think offense will be the focus in rounds 2-4, but Ballard is going to have his eye on a top defensive prospect in the 1st round

21 minutes ago, bleed blue 4 life said:

Every Colt team that I have followed and done well had a premier running back  Unitas had Lennty Moore , Bert had Lydell Mitchell and Peyton had James , I rest my case 

How many rings do Peyton and James have together?

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I am hoping for it. It puts the Colts in the catbird seat after the NYG take the #1 QB off the board. The NYJ and DEN could both become trade partners at that point...unless they both address QB in FA/trade (which won't happen).

I agree. Other than signing Manning we will see if Elway strikes out again? :D

6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

If im the Browns, that's what I'd do. You get the top RB in the draft and one of the top 3 QBs. Should be a decent improvement to their offense. Course knowing the Browns , they're just as likely to take a Punter at number 1

27 minutes ago, bleed blue 4 life said:

Every Colt team that I have followed and done well had a premier running back  Unitas had Lennty Moore , Bert had Lydell Mitchell and Peyton had James , I rest my case 

That may be true but how many rings did that line of thinking bring?  We seen enough of great offensive teams that win a lot of games but fail in the playoffs. Why? Because of lousy defense and lack of depth when the star player goes down.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I don't think Nelson falls to the 20s. I figure he'll be top 10, period. 

And I continue to disagree with drafting a RB at #3. Sorry.

What is your draft strategy? I have looked but not noticed a post about it. Do you pick at 3 or trade (assuming the combine does little to change the player rankings)? If you pick at 3 who do you take? If you trade (a) how far down are you willing to trade and (b) who is your target(s)?

Thanks!

Just now, csmopar said:

If im the Browns, that's what I'd do. You get the top RB in the draft and one of the top 3 QBs. Should be a decent improvement to their offense. Course knowing the Browns , they're just as likely to take a Punter at number 1

If they love Barkely, it's the right play.

I think it's likely that the NYG's next QB will be identified before the draft...and it will be someone that didn't want to play for CLE. So that means CLE can still get their #1 guy, but they would just need to swap spots with the Colts to make sure the NYJ or DEN don't trade up. With all of their picks, they should have no problem getting Ballard to swap spots for an early 2nd rounder. Ballard still gets his guy (or could trade down again) and the Colts get a day two pick. Ballard takes that deal over what DEN or the NYJ will be willing to offer.

On the other hand, it's possible CLE could just go ahead and grab that QB at #1. But then they would need to trade back up to get Barkley at #3...because he will actually be in play for the Colts, as well as most teams after the Colts. That will be a harder trade to get done.

Plus, trading up for a QB at #3 (after grabbing Barkley) has far better aesthetics than trading up for Barkley.