Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your Final Four QBs. Bortles, Keenum, Foles....

NewColtsFan

.....   and some guy named.....    Brady.

Is this easily the worst quartet of QB's for the two title games EVER?!?       Sure seems like it.

New England would seem to be the prohibitive favorite to win it all simply based on the other three QB's.       This is NOT a great Patriots team,  but the advantage at QB alone should make the Pats the easy front runners.....        Bortles,  Keenum and Foles?       At the most important position on the field?

43 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Just gotta hope the old mantra holds true, you know, that saying that defense wins championships...

Yes.....    the other three defenses are all really really good.    Someday, I'd love for the Colts to have a defense that good.

When your favorite team has a really good defense,  it's a fun thing to watch!    :thmup:

53 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Just gotta hope the old mantra holds true, you know, that saying that defense wins championships...

True but the Pats defense so far hasn't looked so bad either in the playoffs.

Guess we'll see from now on how they do........

The Patriots should Repeat in reality. The QB is the most important position on the field. Of course it takes at least Good Defense to win it all as well but I just cant see a Blake Bortles team beating a Tom Brady led team in a Title Game. Much like I didn't think and still don't think a Brock Osweiler led team (when he played for Denver in 2015) would've beat Tom either. To beat the Pats on a big stage like this, you need a QB that wont make mistakes and a Good Defense at worse. You need both, otherwise you have no chance. Out of the teams left I think Minnesota has the best chance to beat the Pats because they have a Great Defense and the SB is at Minnesota. Keenum has been on a tremendous Good streak for a while as well.

The Pats have lost playoff games to Sanchez, Plumber, Flacco, Eli, and Peyton in his last year.  That is kind of an ascending order of talent.  For the most part those QBs have had great defenses on the other side of the ball and ones that give TB and the Pats fits. 

Nothing against Eli, he is a solid QB but has not won a playoff game outside of the two SB runs.  Kind of the same holds true for Flacco.   In another words, these three QBs in the final four may not have a great name or a top 5 QB, but take away prior QBs SB wins these QBs may not be that far behind. 

It is going to be a tough game on Sunday for the Pats.  If the Pats D can keep Bortles in check, and our O plays at least a B game, i like our chances.  But time will tell.

True there is a slight exhale as the meat of the QB roster are not in the final four, but all it takes it two good games and with the D on these three teams, anything can happen.    

keenum has been good, everyone is sleeping on that for some reason.  check his stats, tape and pff rating, all of it is good

bortles had good games and bad games this year, not the first time an average QB was carried by a defense 

Who is a top QB now? It seems like everyone is young and just starting. Brady, Brees, Rivers, Eli, Rodgers, Alex are the "old" dudes. 

Like someone stated, the Patriots dont need to play some "all pro" QB to lose. It's usually the standard guys that beat them. Brees beat them 9 years ago only? Rivers, when's the last time he won? Rodgers played them once. Ben can never beat them.

They recently lost to guys like... Kaepernick, Cutler, Sanchez, Bradford, Flacco, Fitzpatrick.. guys who do just enough and have good defenses behind them. We know good and well a QB holding the team on his shoulders wont beat them. We've seen it time and time again. 

As long as Saxonville shows up and Lebron Bortles can make his 14 throws a game they can do well.

8 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

keenum has been good, everyone is sleeping on that for some reason.  check his stats, tape and pff rating, all of it is good

bortles had good games and bad games this year, not the first time an average QB was carried by a defense 

I had Keenum in a 2 QB Fantasy league this year, so i know how well he has played. I don't understand the hate on him haha. 

Teams have won Super Bowls with QB's named Rypien, Johnson, Hostetler, and Dilfer. While having a Hall of Fame QB increases your chances of winning one it isn't the end all be all. I would certainly favor the Patriots to repeat, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if one of these teams were to pull off the upset. 

The fact that these 3 QB's advanced ahead of Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, and BigBen helps confirm the idea that strong defenses can still win championships at the NFL level.

While Brady & the Pats offense are often applauded for their 31 unanswered points in SB51, it is largely overlooked that the NE DEFENSE held ATL scoreless in order to make that comeback possible.

Enjoy a little old school defensive football for the last couple weeks of this season! :)

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

.....   and some guy named.....    Brady.

Is this easily the worst quartet of QB's for the two title games EVER?!?       Sure seems like it.

New England would seem to be the prohibitive favorite to win it all simply based on the other three QB's.       This is NOT a great Patriots team,  but the advantage at QB alone should make the Pats the easy front runners.....        Bortles,  Keenum and Foles?       At the most important position on the field?

That is one reason I thought Brees would be good as his team continues to move on. Just the fact the other day that he converted a 4th & 10 to Willie Snead with ice in his veins showed me he was the kind of QB who would be unfazed at the big stage. It is a shame his team could not finish it for him.

The Saints were also the only team the Patriots had played earlier this year. Since 2005, Belichick has not fared well vs teams he played a second time in the playoffs (2005 Broncos, 2006 Colts, 2007 Giants, 2009 Ravens, 2010 Jets, 2011 Giants, 2012 Ravens, 2013 Broncos, 2015 Broncos, that have all resulted in losses though he loved playing the Luck led Colts and Big Ben led Steelers again any time).

Having said that, the Vikings are probably the most balanced team that could give the Patriots a fight, and the Jaguars, you never know what you are going to get with Bortles, and that can work for them and against them. We will see how it works out.

If the Jaguars' D shows up and makes it a 12 round fight with the Patriots, the Jaguars have a chance to keep it close and win. We will see. 

A lot of good defenses like the Vikings and Jags have this year have won in the past with below average quarterback play. I think that the quality quarterback play in the NFL as a whole has degenerated in the last 10 years thats why we are seeing the good defenses rise up. Like is Jared Goff, Jamies Winston, Marcus Mariota, Carson Wentz going to be the next Manning, Brady, Rodgers, big Ben??I highly doubt it, the most promising quarterback as of late is Andrew Luck and Grigson almost (may have) ruined it by not building an Oline lol!

I see the Pats winning it all again unfortunately.  

As good as the Jags defense is, I just don't see them being able to routinely stop Tom Brady.  And they are going to have to do at least that because I don't see the Pat's defense letting Bortles put up a ton of points.

I hope Minnesota wins it all.  But I'm guessing the Pats go home with it. . . again.  

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

A lot of good defenses like the Vikings and Jags have this year have won in the past with below average quarterback play. I think that the quality quarterback play in the NFL as a whole has degenerated in the last 10 years thats why we are seeing the good defenses rise up. Like is Jared Goff, Jamies Winston, Marcus Mariota, Carson Wentz going to be the next Manning, Brady, Rodgers, big Ben??I highly doubt it, the most promising quarterback as of late is Andrew Luck and Grigson almost (may have) ruined it by not building an Oline lol!

I think Wentz will be good(if the ACL doesn't set him back, which it shouldn't) and I think Garropolo can become elite, eventually. 

5 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

And a little fun fact... the Jaguars have Tom Coughlin.

Yes they do, great for them, nice to see them have a winning season and make the playoffs.  Hopefully they will continue to make the playoffs.

And we both know that Tom Coughlin is helping his coaches with a game plan for this game.  Not to mention his finger on how to build a team and choose players to make a competitive team for the future.  

16 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Brady is the only elite one. I wonder if the league is shifting away from having elite QBs. 

No.... The changing of the guard is starting.  Brady is 40, Brees is 39, Big Ben is 35. Aaron Rodgers is 34.Eli is what, 37/38? Flaco, Cutler, Palmer, Dalton are all in their mid 30s or higher. So their days are numbered.  If you look at the stats, you'll see that with the exception of Foles, the other two QBs are ranked in the top 5 depending on which stat you're looking at.

6 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

Yes they do, great for them, nice to see them have a winning season and make the playoffs.  Hopefully they will continue to make the playoffs.

And we both know that Tom Coughlin is helping his coaches with a game plan for this game.  Not to mention his finger on how to build a team and choose players to make a competitive team for the future.  

And now if Brady is injured with his throwing hand.....

22 hours ago, buccolts said:

I think it's great.

Kinda tired of the league being dominated (falsely so many times) by the QB position.

Yeah, even though a couple top tier QBs were taken out this year, it has been interesting.  Other than Luck and Rodgers, was there any other QB who's absense cause their team to miss the playoffs?  I know Wentz went down but his team is still somehow in it.  Newton played hurt, but he always seems like he's playing hurt.  Watson maybe?  

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Yeah, even though a couple top tier QBs were taken out this year, it has been interesting.  Other than Luck and Rodgers, was there any other QB who's absense cause their team to miss the playoffs?  I know Wentz went down but his team is still somehow in it.  Newton played hurt, but he always seems like he's playing hurt.  Watson maybe?  

Tannehill.......maybe?

Yes, hopefully it is not too bad, it is his throwing hand though, and one would guess even a slight injury could have an effect. 

Have they said if it's just sore or is there actual damage? Or is it all just a drama line?

Yes, hopefully it is not too bad, it is his throwing hand though, and one would guess even a slight injury could have an effect. 

Brady is Brady, I am sure he will be fine. I have a friendly bet with a friend of mine and I am giving him 6.5 points and Jacks. I have the Pats, If I win by 7 I win my bet. I almost see no way the Pats don't win by at least 7. I see Bortles turning it over at least once or twice since he had none last week. I also think the Pats will score at least 24 points if not break 30 like they do a lot. I know Jacks has a Great Defense but I could see a 27-20 type win for the Pats (maybe 30-20). My friend wanted me to give him 10 but I wouldn't do it, still giving 6.5.

9 hours ago, csmopar said:

Have they said if it's just sore or is there actual damage? Or is it all just a drama line?

Not sure they are being kind of hush hush on it

He was at practice yesterday, had a glove on, the sense is that he jammed his thumb

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brady is Brady, I am sure he will be fine. I have a friendly bet with a friend of mine and I am giving him 6.5 points and Jacks. I have the Pats, If I win by 7 I win my bet. I almost see no way the Pats don't win by at least 7. I see Bortles turning it over at least once or twice since he had none last week. I also think the Pats will score at least 24 points if not break 30 like they do a lot. I know Jacks has a Great Defense but I could see a 27-20 type win for the Pats (maybe 30-20). My friend wanted me to give him 10 but I wouldn't do it, still giving 6.5.

That is a good bet. For me this game is tough to handicap, we have lost to teams with the make of the jags.  The key might be if bortles just plays an average game.  

3 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

:). We will find out on Sunday if this has any effect

He has played injured before, and with injuries to his hand, hand injuries are more likely to have an affect than a knee or torso

For sure. I think it's being blown up into something it's not

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

For sure. I think it's being blown up into something it's not

Yes you may very well be correct, the media is saying it has been a nagging injury he has had for a while this year   He did injury his hand a few years back and one could see it was swollen on the the sidelines

It doesn't matter what happened to Brady's hand.  I am sure that his personal trainer has a way to magically heal it before Sunday.   Afterall, this guy (Guerrero) claims to have a cure for cancer, an elixir to prevent concussions, and has informed TB that you can prevent sunburns by drinking lots of water.  A hand injury is a minor issue for Mr. Guerrero....