Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McDaniels Offense and FA's that could Follow

Scott Pennock

8 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

I didn't hear Grady & Big Joe re TY. I'm surprised by that. What was their reasoning? It seems to me that TY is a bit like Brandin Cooks.

Big Joe has been “off” TY ever since he threw the OLine under the bus.  Grady feels that TY is too hit or miss. Disappears too often. Even in the year he led league in yards.  They also feel like he’s not very physical and can be taken away to easily and not fight for the extra yards like we’ve seen out of Pats receivers.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

I will be looking forward to seeing what JM will do with Marlon Mack. If they can scheme to get Mack the ball in open space receiving the ball, he is electric.

Mack is gonna have to show that he’s got the hands that I expect McDaniels wants from his backs. He didn’t seem like a natural receiver to me.  He needs to be working on that all off season or I can see Ballard & McD bringing in a Dion Lewis or looking for another receiving back. Mack can still play the James White or Burkhead role but even those guys are good receivers. Mack’s gotta get better. 

7 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

That means he’s gonna want top 5-10 receiver money which we’ll never give him.

Yep, he will end up on a 1 year deal somewhere for his 1 year of outstanding production that he did not produce in previous years. He was always high on the reception count, he started mattering more in the end zone the last year.

17 hours ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

Not a bit fan of Amendola, and I dont think the pats let solder walk. Most importantly while most coaches do like some of their own guys, the Pats are great because they can win with any guys. That is what I hope JM brings to the team, find those guys no one else wanted and make them household name for as long as they play for us cheap. Once they ask for that big money then they can walk away and we find someone better.

Doubtful, belichick is a rare talent at training people who wouldn't work anywhere else.

He might have taught him some insights and things to look for, but that gut instinct and nose for things just cant be taught.

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

That means he’s gonna want top 5-10 receiver money which we’ll never give him.

He's shown he's capable of it. I think miami's system limits his output. He's ranked 17th according to nfl, but he's at the top in receptions and TD's. He gets a lot of short yardage passes and routes. 

I wouldn't mind if the Colts took a look at Cameron Flemming if he'd consider moving to RT.  I think he'd be better on the right side for the Colts than anyone that got snaps there last season.  PFF rated him higher as well, for what that's worth.  Other than Flemming I'm not overly excited about any of their free agents, and Flemming is just ok to me.  Probably an upgrade at RT, however.  Plus, for added fun, a teammate of Luck's in 2011 (2010 too, but red-shirted). 

15 hours ago, ManningGM said:

I want this team to be the Colts, not New England 2.0. 

I'm fine with bringing in a WR and/or a RB that's familiar with their system because it would probably make the transition and learning curve go much smoother, for the WRs especially. All of those option routes require the WR to read the coverage and adjust the routes accordingly, and that's not something that I think TY, Moncrief, or Rodgers are particularly good at right now.

17 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

We don't have a need for Solder. We got AC who's actually better, and younger. We gotta bring in some interior offensive linemen. No need for a T. If we could land Norwell and Kline to play G we'll be set. I'd bring Mewhort back to play RT personally, but I'd feel fine with Haeg, Good, and Clark battling for the RT spot with 4 really good-great starters everywhere else. Plus those 3 guys's development.

I could see us bringing in Amendola, and I'd like that signing for the right amount. We have to bring in a big 6'2-6'4 stud WR like Allen Robinson to pair with TY, but we also need to bring in a 3rd WR too. At least a vet to battle it out with Chester Rogers. Jaron Brown comes to mind. But Amendola would kill it with us in the slot. Robinson Hilton, Amendola would be a dominant trio, and Rogers would be perfect as the 4th receiver.

As for Lewis I'd love that signing. But I mean we really need a true feature back to pair with Marlo Mack. Mack is legit IMO. Will be a perfect number 2 RB IMO.

Amendola is the most likely of the 3 IMO. And I don't want us to be signing 30 plus year old FA's 1 vet like DA would be great mixed with 4-5 big time young FA signings. He can still ball and he'd provide some leadership and bring a winning mentality with him.

Disagree about  Solder. You do know they were drafted the same year? 

17 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

Norwell would be a solid get.  And if Eberflus pans out maybe he can give us an in with Lawrence.

As long as Carolina doesn't  pulls rabbit out of a hat and sign Norwell , I think he has a great chance to sign with us. I believe  Lawerence will be retained by Dallas as he was so much of their pass rush. Just can't see anyway they don't use the franchise tag if forced to do so. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I'd have mixed feelings on him. But Luck needs familiar weapons, TY is only one. He's not a great number 1 but he's not exactly replacement material either

I agree with you most of the time, and I respect you as a poster, but one cannot, IMO, lead the NFL in receiving without being a great #1....especially when the entire world knows you're the guy. I realize we are talking semantics here, but I might agree that he is not elite for his career, although has been at times...but he is a great WR. 

Again...JMO.

18 hours ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

Not a bit fan of Amendola, and I dont think the pats let solder walk. Most importantly while most coaches do like some of their own guys, the Pats are great because they can win with any guys. That is what I hope JM brings to the team, find those guys no one else wanted and make them household name for as long as they play for us cheap. Once they ask for that big money then they can walk away and we find someone better.

That doesnt sound like a great formula for success.

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

As long as Carolina doesn't  pulls rabbit out of a hat and sign Norwell , I think he has a great chance to sign with us. I believe  Lawerence will be retained by Dallas as he was so much of their pass rush. Just can't see anyway they don't use the franchise tag if forced to do so. 

I think it's going to be really hard to get Norwell here.  I think he was ranked the 6th best overall offensive lineman in 2017 by PFF, and according to them didn't allow a sack or pressure all year - and pass blocking was his less developed skill...   he had a monster contract year on the field.  He's about to paid an obscene amount. 

My guess is the old Panthers GM gets him signed for the most egregious guard contract in NFL history on the Giants.  That said, they are middle of the road in cap space, with about 1000 holes to fill too, so who knows.  The Browns and especially the Bengals worry me too, as he's an Ohio kid through and through. 

25 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I agree with you most of the time, and I respect you as a poster, but one cannot, IMO, lead the NFL in receiving without being a great #1....especially when the entire world knows you're the guy. I realize we are talking semantics here, but I might agree that he is not elite for his career, although has been at times...but he is a great WR. 

Again...JMO.

Let me clarify. I don't think he's a average or a bad receiver. I think he's pretty darn good. I don't think he'd be easily replaced either. That's where I don't agree with Big Joe and Grady. Where I do agree with them is that he does get taken away in a game too often. Now some of that is due to what you said above about being the only true weapon at WR. Especially when Moncrief couldn't catch a dang thing. That said, he's too inconsistent for me to consider him to be a great/elite receiver. In my opinion, those two words are the same. So I think we actually are in agreement that he's a dang good receiver, definitely top 5. But he's not an elite receiver like Reggie Wayne or Marvin either and we shouldn't expect him to be

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Let me clarify. I don't think he's a average or a bad receiver. I think he's pretty darn good. I don't think he'd be easily replaced either. That's where I don't agree with Big Joe and Grady. Where I do agree with them is that he does get taken away in a game too often. Now some of that is due to what you said above about being the only true weapon at WR. Especially when Moncrief couldn't catch a dang thing. That said, he's too inconsistent for me to consider him to be a great/elite receiver. In my opinion, those two words are the same. So I think we actually are in agreement that he's a dang good receiver, definitely top 5. But he's not an elite receiver like Reggie Wayne or Marvin either and we shouldn't expect him to be

There is a lot to be said for being able to take away, for the most part, a team's #1 receiver if the #2 and #3 receivers offer little threat. When Marvin Jones and Sanu were let go in free agency by the Bengals, AJ Green's production dropped substantially. AJ is still in his prime and hasn't been injured and has been with the same QB. It's just now defenses put their entire coverage focus on him because the other receivers don't offer much threat.

3 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

There is a lot to be said for being able to take away, for the most part, a team's #1 receiver if the #2 and #3 receivers offer little threat. When Marvin Jones and Sanu were let go in free agency by the Bengals, AJ Green's production dropped substantially. AJ is still in his prime and hasn't been injured and has been with the same QB. It's just now defenses put their entire coverage focus on him because the other receivers don't offer much threat.

Completely agree

6 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

Part of that is Dalton is helter skelter too.  He's way too inconsistent.  

34 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I think it's going to be really hard to get Norwell here.  I think he was ranked the 6th best overall offensive lineman in 2017 by PFF, and according to them didn't allow a sack or pressure all year - and pass blocking was his less developed skill...   he had a monster contract year on the field.  He's about to paid an obscene amount. 

My guess is the old Panthers GM gets him signed for the most egregious guard contract in NFL history on the Giants.  That said, they are middle of the road in cap space, with about 1000 holes to fill too, so who knows.  The Browns and especially the Bengals worry me too, as he's an Ohio kid through and through. 

The Browns have Zeitler and Bitonio locked up to long term deals. They aren't in need of a guard. Cincy also rarely ever dips into free agency. If they let Zeitler walk, I doubt they are in the market for Norwell. I agree with you on NYG if they don't lock up Pugh.

4 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Yet he still gets voted to the pro bowl every year on reputation alone...

Well Pro Bowl voting is voted on by fans, players and coaches. So you know reputation is going to play a big role. If a player's or coach's team doesn't play an opposing player's team, I imagine they have little or no real data on that player for the current season except stats, which aren't the whole story, before they vote because they are so absorbed in preparing for their own games. 

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

I wish Myles Gaskin would not have returned for his senior season, he would have been fantastic in that role, IMO.

What is it with Bryce Love, Myles Gaskin etc. returning for their senior season? 

I always felt like heavy mileage RBs in college like Ron Dayne, Montee Ball etc. never translated very well to the next level.

It's possible they want to complete their degree or maybe they want to wait until next year, when the RB class isn't as stacked and have a chance of being drafted higher.

It's possible Hitchens(from the Cowboys) could come here. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple NE or NE-like players came here. I think the Colts might target a big TE like Gronk. There's one in the draft(forgot his name) that would fit perfectly, or maybe Jimmy Graham, if the Colts don't want to draft one.

1 hour ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

To me, Norwell gets whatever he wants to come to the Colts. Gettleman probably wants him, but we have more cap space. He would be my first call when the tampering period opens, and my offer would be five years, $65m, with $30m guaranteed, making him the highest paid guard in the league.

My second call would be Trumaine Johnson, and I'd pay him obscene money also.

1 hour ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

No doubt the contract will be ridiculous. I just think the Colts would be favorites over those other teams you have. Giants have 19 mill in cap room , Cleveland is Cleveland and the Bengals have a lot of question marks. That said , I would put the odds of the Colts signing him at maybe 1 in 5 at the highest . You have to figure at least 7-8 teams will make a run at him and then factor in if Ballard really wants to spend like 13 mill per year on a guard. If we did go after him , it would help if Luck is throwing a football without pain when the FA period begins.

But no doubt you are correct saying it will be hard getting him here and that's not even figuring in if we're willing to over spend.

Just now, Superman said:

To me, Norwell gets whatever he wants to come to the Colts. Gettleman probably wants him, but we have more cap space. He would be my first call when the tampering period opens, and my offer would be five years, $65m, with $30m guaranteed, making him the highest paid guard in the league.

I agree 100% with this - and I think it's going to be necessary.  Again, the issue becomes most teams are looking to improve their OL, and he is the best available.  And he will get paid like he is too. 

I wonder if Austin Sefarian-Jenkins is someone to keep an eye. He's a young TE that McDaniels has had a good look a this past season...and he seems to fit the mold of a TE he would want to utilize. Plus he also fits the mold of a post-hype player NE sometimes goes after (like Martellus Bennett).

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yep. If the Panthers don't sign him, I'd be willing to overpay to get Norwell.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just read your post and we have the same # ... 13 mill. per.... ha.  And yeah I agree that you have to take the splurge and just do it. These bargain FA's that bring pretty good value are just not game changers. Look at what the Jags did spending the "extra buck." 

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

Git. Er. Dun.

8 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Just read your post and we have the same # ... 13 mill. per.... ha.  And yeah I agree that you have to take the splurge and just do it. These bargain FA's that bring pretty good value are just not game changers. Look at what the Jags did spending the "extra buck." 

Yup. I think it's important to not just go throwing money around, but I think Norwell is a worthy investment that would help our offense stabilize in both phases. We have the ability to make the investment right now, and as always, the structure would have an out for the team after two years. The hope is that Norwell would be what we think he is, though.

To that last point, he was really good this year, but he's been improving since his rookie season. He was highly recruited out of high school and was no slouch in college, but wasn't super talented, and went undrafted. Now he's worked himself into an All Pro. I don't see him as a contract year standout, he's a legit performer. I feel like he's the kind of guy that fits Ballard's parameters for a free agent acquisition. 

20 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

So now that the dust has settled a bit I'm pretty excited about the offense and even started drawing a few parallels to the Patriots. 

Let me preface this by saying most coaches want to bring in folks they are comfortable with, that know the system and could potentially speed up the learning process in the positional rooms.

Solder (Oline), Lewis (RB) and Amendola (WR) are all free agents and would boost our talent as well.

Brissett can help in the QB room...

Lewis can help in the RB room as well as retain his role in the system while Mack takes the White role and Turbin/Jones can play the powerback role.

Amendola can help in the WR room as well as retain his role in the system (slot) while TY takes over the Cooks role. The other wideout is likely not on the roster.

Solder can help in the OLine room and between he and Castonzo would help stabilize our oline.

That leaves tight end.....not sure there are any street free agents out there that can help, but, color me intrigued about Travis/Swoope/Ali-Cox in the off-line Gronk role while Doyle stays in his familiar in-line role.

Not so sure that any of these three will be on the Ballard's' radar. Amendola is 32, and will turn 33 before the end of the season. His best football is behind him. Solder is pushing 30, and has already expressed interest in retiring. He's got a lot of mileage on him, and doesn't fit the Ballard template of younger guys with upside potential. Lewis probably has more mileage left on his tires, but at 27 his best year (really his only decent year) was last year. He's had some injury problems, and even the Colts cut him after a few days, several years ago.

2 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

It's possible Hitchens(from the Cowboys) could come here. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple NE or NE-like players came here. I think the Colts might target a big TE like Gronk. There's one in the draft(forgot his name) that would fit perfectly, or maybe Jimmy Graham, if the Colts don't want to draft one.

I think getting a TE in the FA like Jimmy Graham would be a waste of resources at a position where we don't need the upgrade as much as others. That money (which would be pretty significant considering Jimmy Graham has been balling out this season) would be better used on another valuable position hard to get a starter in the draft where we don't have as much depth. Like ILB or Guard or WR. We have Doyle, a top 5 TE and sure-handed guy who will excel with McDaniels dink-and-dunk-till-the-D-gets-tired offense. Not to mention Swoope coming back healthy will be a pretty high-upside player.