Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McDaniels Offense and FA's that could Follow

Scott Pennock

So now that the dust has settled a bit I'm pretty excited about the offense and even started drawing a few parallels to the Patriots. 

Let me preface this by saying most coaches want to bring in folks they are comfortable with, that know the system and could potentially speed up the learning process in the positional rooms.

Solder (Oline), Lewis (RB) and Amendola (WR) are all free agents and would boost our talent as well.

Brissett can help in the QB room...

Lewis can help in the RB room as well as retain his role in the system while Mack takes the White role and Turbin/Jones can play the powerback role.

Amendola can help in the WR room as well as retain his role in the system (slot) while TY takes over the Cooks role. The other wideout is likely not on the roster.

Solder can help in the OLine room and between he and Castonzo would help stabilize our oline.

That leaves tight end.....not sure there are any street free agents out there that can help, but, color me intrigued about Travis/Swoope/Ali-Cox in the off-line Gronk role while Doyle stays in his familiar in-line role.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bit fan of Amendola, and I dont think the pats let solder walk. Most importantly while most coaches do like some of their own guys, the Pats are great because they can win with any guys. That is what I hope JM brings to the team, find those guys no one else wanted and make them household name for as long as they play for us cheap. Once they ask for that big money then they can walk away and we find someone better.

I have been away from the forum for the last month or so but has anyone talked about the offensive side of things with McDaniels coming in?  Is he going to be the OC himself or is he gonna bring in somebody that runs what he wants?  And is he gonna run the same style that he ran in NE or is he gonna tailor it to the personnel we have?

Im most interested in his oline play. What kind of plays can he draw up to open up good running holes and also get the ball out of 12s hands faster and avoid constant thrashing. Also how he can Mack involved. 

FA wise... good players that fit and that want to play here and arent just looking for a payday. 

We don't have a need for Solder. We got AC who's actually better, and younger. We gotta bring in some interior offensive linemen. No need for a T. If we could land Norwell and Kline to play G we'll be set. I'd bring Mewhort back to play RT personally, but I'd feel fine with Haeg, Good, and Clark battling for the RT spot with 4 really good-great starters everywhere else. Plus those 3 guys's development.

I could see us bringing in Amendola, and I'd like that signing for the right amount. We have to bring in a big 6'2-6'4 stud WR like Allen Robinson to pair with TY, but we also need to bring in a 3rd WR too. At least a vet to battle it out with Chester Rogers. Jaron Brown comes to mind. But Amendola would kill it with us in the slot. Robinson Hilton, Amendola would be a dominant trio, and Rogers would be perfect as the 4th receiver.

As for Lewis I'd love that signing. But I mean we really need a true feature back to pair with Marlo Mack. Mack is legit IMO. Will be a perfect number 2 RB IMO.

Amendola is the most likely of the 3 IMO. And I don't want us to be signing 30 plus year old FA's 1 vet like DA would be great mixed with 4-5 big time young FA signings. He can still ball and he'd provide some leadership and bring a winning mentality with him.

Just now, COLTS449 said:

We don't have a need for Solder. We got AC who's actually better, and younger. We gotta bring in some interior offensive linemen. No need for a T. If we could land Norwell and Kline to play G we'll be set. I'd bring Mewhort back to play RT personally, but I'd feel fine with Haeg, Good, and Clark battling for the RT spot with 4 really good-great starters everywhere else. Plus those 3 guys's development.

I could see us bringing in Amendola, and I'd like that signing for the right amount. We have to bring in a big 6'2-6'4 stud WR like Allen Robinson to pair with TY, but we also need to bring in a 3rd WR too. At least a vet to battle it out with Chester Rogers. Jaron Brown comes to mind. But Amendola would kill it with us in the slot. Robinson Hilton, Amendola would be a dominant trio, and Rogers would be perfect as the 4th receiver.

As for Lewis I'd love that signing. But I mean we really need a true feature back to pair with Marlo Mack. Mack is legit IMO. Will be a perfect number 2 RB IMO.

Amendola is the most likely of the 3 IMO. And I don't want us to be signing 30 plus year old FA's 1 vet like DA would be great mixed with 4-5 big time young FA signings. He can still ball and he'd provide some leadership and bring a winning mentality with him.

Could always kick solder to RT

Keep in mind that Ballard will still retain (as far as we know this hasn't and won't change) the final say and control in deciding who to target, how much to offer, etc. Obviously Ballard is all about collaboration and will probably consult with McDaniels a good amount but I don't see this being an all out attack for ex-Patriots even though some do appear to be a good fit.

Tentative offensive free agency list:

Oline: 1, even 2 premier, definite starter level guys and maybe one or two depth guys

RB to complement Mack: Lewis, Crowell (I think Crowell would do good behind an improved offensive line), etc

WR: We need like 2. A slot guy that would fit what McDaniels wants and a big guy to pair up with TY. One is going to be expensive and the other one should be a bargain buy. (if we plan on drafting a WR, ideally we go for the big guy in the draft and sign an experienced slot receiver as its a harder role being a possession receiver)

Tentative defensive free agency list:

LB, LB, LB: We are probably going to switch to a 4-3 and nobody knows how Mingo, Simon, and our current stable of terrible LBs will fit. I say we go out and grab atleast one legit MLB, ILB type guy that can cover, hit, and rush the passer. Sign an outside 4-3 LB to push Simon for starting role cause I don't trust Simon as a strong-side 4-3 LB yet. We can also draft a good LB in the 2nd or 3rd

DL: we are probably good on this end considering a switch to 4-3 would involve Hankins as a starter, Sheard as a DE, and Henry Anderson as a DT or DE depending on the down. If we grab Chubb, that would be the other DE and we are set. Though we should probably sign a young upside depth guy or two to push Woods and Hunt (neither of which are guaranteed good in a 4-3). 

CB: Sign a decent CB plus Resign Melvin or Desir . If Melvin can be had for less than 8 a year, get him a nice 3 year, 8m/yr contract. Otherwise let him go. Bring back Desir cheap as a back-up option in case Melvin falls through (which it probably will). Quincy Wilson, Desir, Hairston is a solid CB corp. We should shore up depth though through the draft and grab some high upside developmental guys.

Safety: WE GOOD HERE FELLAS - Fairley, Geathers, Hooker. Let Butler go and we can probs sign a depth guy in the FA or the draft. 

2 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I have been away from the forum for the last month or so but has anyone talked about the offensive side of things with McDaniels coming in?  Is he going to be the OC himself or is he gonna bring in somebody that runs what he wants?  And is he gonna run the same style that he ran in NE or is he gonna tailor it to the personnel we have?

Rumor is Jake Peetz from Oakland for OC.  At this point, no one can really answer your questions.   

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not interested in Solder because he has a very bad back.   There is some buzz that he might retire.   That would scare me off.

Yeah. Plus he'll probably want a pretty decent chunk of money for 3 years or so. I wouldn't touch him.

I think Chester Rogers is gonna surprise and be a breakout star next year in McDaniels system...  Amendola would be brought in mainly as a mentor to help others learn the system & as a “rabbit” for others to chase down and overtake for his position. I think Rogers can do just that. 

6 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Brice Butler wants out of Dallas bring him and Allen Robinson in two outside threats with TY dominating the slot

11 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Solder (Oline), Lewis (RB) and Amendola (WR) are all free agents and would boost our talent as well.

Solder is probably going to retire...he was contemplating it this past offseason. Amendola is going to be 33, the Pats like him, and he's been taking team friendly deals to stay the past couple of years because he likes it here. Lewis...lol...there is no way the Pats let him go.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If New England does let a couple of these free agents go the Colts will not be the only ones interested. This comment about bringing these guys in is flawed. There will be 30 other teams looking too. It's not a simple as just bringing them in.

It may not be a lock but one thing the other 30 teams dont have is the pats old OC....presumably. Plus we are in at least the top half in available cap space that most of which must be spent.

Amendola seems like he's hurt more than he is on the field, no thanks. 

Solder would be great. It's hard to see pats letting him go though. i'd rather spend the money on Norwell from the Panthers.  

I think the system McDaniels employs will work MUCH better for Mack. I don't think they need to bring in Lewis, but they'll have someone else to do the in between the tackles stuff. 

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If New England does let a couple of these free agents go the Colts will not be the only ones interested. This comment about bringing these guys in is flawed. There will be 30 other teams looking too. It's not a simple as

41 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

First of all I am not your bro.

Second, my brain is just fine

Third, it is obvious all you want is to insult to start an argument. Take it to someone who cares.

just bringing them in.

Seems like you were the one challenging what is simple common sense. Just saying.
 I would expect they would be calling the Colts first saying SIGN ME.

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Seems like you were the one challenging what is simple common sense. Just saying.
 I would expect they would be calling the Colts first saying SIGN ME.

I made a general statement. No more, no less.

Sorry if you feel threatened by a general comment.

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

mack can play the lewis role here

needs to work on catching though 

I wish Myles Gaskin would not have returned for his senior season, he would have been fantastic in that role, IMO.

What is it with Bryce Love, Myles Gaskin etc. returning for their senior season? 

I always felt like heavy mileage RBs in college like Ron Dayne, Montee Ball etc. never translated very well to the next level.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I wish Myles Gaskin would not have returned for his senior season, he would have been fantastic in that role, IMO.

What is it with Bryce Love, Myles Gaskin etc. returning for their senior season? 

I always felt like heavy mileage RBs in college like Ron Dayne, Montee Ball etc. never translated very well to the next level.

Yeah, It surprised me too about Gaskin. I thought for sure he would be coming out.

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I guess they figured that there are already too many running backs coming out this year for the draft. Maybe they will have less competition if they wait and come out next year.

14 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Give me M. Bryant [I know about his past but he’s worth it]

It's not just the fact that hes one failed drug test away from a year or more suspension. He's also proven to have a bad attitude and to be a bit of a locker room cancer. He publically talked trash to JuJu and immediately ate crow, because Juju had a MUCH better season than him and pretty much supplanted Bryant's spot on the depth chart. I don't want anyone like him in our locker room.

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

It's not just the fact that hes one failed drug test away from a year or more suspension. He's also proven to have a bad attitude and to be a bit of a locker room cancer. He publically talked trash to JuJu,  who ended up killing it and having a way better season than Bryant. I don't want anyone like him in our locker room.

The one out of the Steelers locker room that I think we would all embrace with open arms is Le'veon Bell. Dude is looking to get paid, that is for sure. But if he does, and he is a happy camper, I think he would be a monster for us.

Give me Brown, Bell, or JuJu.  You can keep Bryant.  Way too much baggage & conduct detrimental...  Grady & Big Joe discussing the possibility of us trading TY & if he’ll fit in McDaniels’ system.  They seem to think he’s replaceable and doesn’t really fit per se...  And wouldn’t be against moving him for a top flight player at another position. Say a lineman or pass rusher.  Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Give me Brown, Bell, or JuJu.  You can keep Bryant.  Way too much baggage & conduct detrimental...  Grady & Big Joe discussing the possibility of us trading TY & if he’ll fit in McDaniels’ system.  They seem to think he’s replaceable and doesn’t really fit per se...  And wouldn’t be against moving him for a top flight player at another position. Say a lineman or pass rusher.  Thoughts?

I'd have mixed feelings on him. But Luck needs familiar weapons, TY is only one. He's not a great number 1 but he's not exactly replacement material either

34 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I didn't hear Grady & Big Joe re TY. I'm surprised by that. What was their reasoning? It seems to me that TY is a bit like Brandin Cooks.