Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to hire LBr coach (Matt Eberflus) from Cowboys.

NannyMcafee

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Already an instant upgrade over Monachino and he hasn't even done anything yet. 

Color me excited! 

And Monachino was an instant upgrade over Maunsky

And Manusky was an instant upgrade over Coyer

And Coyer was an instant upgrade over Meeks 

And Meeks was an instant upgrade over Fangio.

He seems like he could be good but the last good DC the Colts had was Meeks.

32 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You know what they say...5th time's a charm.

But seriously, Manusky and Monachino were Pagano picks...first he hired the guy his brother replaced in SD (probably with his brother's input) and then hired his buddy from BAL. Pagano's judgement on coaches turned out to be questionable at best.

At least Ebeflus isn't some NE assistant coach that McDaniels is bringing along with him for the ride. He seems to actually be a guy that other teams covet. I am just excited because it means the Colts will be changing their defense. 

44 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No he wasn't 

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

hard to coach up below average talent, great talent can make a coach look good

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

Wow. The guy on paper checks out, a linebacker and DB coach, DC at Missouri and Toledo. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

No problem. Eberflus himself has coached in both 3-4 and 4-3 so we could maintain our hybrid approach or go either way. My money is on a 4-3 base though, especially if we grab chubb

sounds like he will system to the talent we have instead of making the talent play to his system, i like it

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Not sure Meeks was good LOL!

Been trying to figure out why this guy is McDaniels' go-to for DC. He doesn't fit the profile I was expecting/hoping for.

It turns out:

1) Eberflus worked under Eric Mangini for two years in Cleveland. Mangini is from the same generation of Pats assistants that McDaniels comes from. He's a few years ahead of McDaniels, but they worked together during the early Belichick days in New England. (Mangini even goes back to Cleveland with BB.)

2) Eberflus went to college at UT -- not Tennessee, like Peyton Manning -- University of Toledo. He played linebacker for their football program from 1989 to 1991. In 1990, Toledo hired Nick Saban as head football coach. Saban left after one year (and a 9-2 record) to be the Browns DC, working under Belichick for four years. In 1991, Toledo hired Gary Pinkel to replace Saban. Pinkel and Saban happened to be college teammates at Kent State.

3) Eberflus joined Pinkel's coaching staff at Toledo first as a student assistant in 1992, then as a grad assistant in 1993, before becoming a full time coach in 1994, working with linebackers. In 1999-2000, he was a DB coach for Toledo.

4) In 2001, Pinkel left Toledo for Missouri. Eberflus went with him, this time as his defensive coordinator. He worked his way up to associate head coach / defensive coordinator. 

5) 2009-10 is when Eberflus was with Mangini in Cleveland, as the linebackers coach. Their DC was Rob Ryan. When that staff got flushed after the 2010 season, Ryan went to Dallas as the DC, and took Eberflus with him, again as the linebackers coach. He stuck on the staff after Ryan left, working under Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli.

And that's where Mr. Matt "Who the Heck is This Guy" Eberflus comes from. It's likely that he's highly regarded by Eric "Mangenius" Mangini and Nick Saban, who both have direct ties to Belichick, and of course, McDaniels. He's also connected to Rob Ryan, Monte Kiffin, and Rod Marinelli -- three defensive guys that have made a significant impression on the NFL.

That's not a bad lineage for the guy. None of that means he's going to be a good defensive coordinator, but it helps me understand the link to McDaniels, and if he picked up a little something from each of those guys along the way, hopefully it's now in his "binder" and will help him run our defense.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Been trying to figure out why this guy is McDaniels' go-to for DC. He doesn't fit the profile I was expecting/hoping for.

It turns out:

1) Eberflus worked under Eric Mangini for two years in Cleveland. Mangini is from the same generation of Pats assistants that McDaniels comes from. He's a few years ahead of McDaniels, but they worked together during the early Belichick days in New England. (Mangini even goes back to Cleveland with BB.)

2) Eberflus went to college at UT -- not Tennessee, like Peyton Manning -- University of Toledo. He played linebacker for their football program from 1989 to 1991. In 1990, Toledo hired Nick Saban as head football coach. Saban left after one year (and a 9-2 record) to be the Browns DC, working under Belichick for four years. In 1991, Toledo hired Gary Pinkel to replace Saban. Pinkel and Saban happened to be college teammates at Kent State.

3) Eberflus joined Pinkel's coaching staff at Toledo first as a student assistant in 1992, then as a grad assistant in 1993, before becoming a full time coach in 1994, working with linebackers. In 1999-2000, he was a DB coach for Toledo.

4) In 2001, Pinkel left Toledo for Missouri. Eberflus went with him, this time as his defensive coordinator. He worked his way up to associate head coach / defensive coordinator. 

5) 2009-10 is when Eberflus was with Mangini in Cleveland, as the linebackers coach. Their DC was Rob Ryan. When that staff got flushed after the 2010 season, Ryan went to Dallas as the DC, and took Eberflus with him, again as the linebackers coach. He stuck on the staff after Ryan left, working under Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli.

And that's where Mr. Matt "Who the Heck is This Guy" Eberflus comes from. It's likely that he's highly regarded by Eric "Mangenius" Mangini and Nick Saban, who both have direct ties to Belichick, and of course, McDaniels. He's also connected to Rob Ryan, Monte Kiffin, and Rod Marinelli -- three defensive guys that have made a significant impression on the NFL.

That's not a bad lineage for the guy. None of that means he's going to be a good defensive coordinator, but it helps me understand the link to McDaniels, and if he picked up a little something from each of those guys along the way, hopefully it's now in his "binder" and will help him run our defense.

A lot of ties there.  McDaniels also got his start under Saban when he was at Michigan State.  Good post Supe.  Interesting to see where the connections come from.  

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

A lot of ties there.  McDaniels also got his start under Saban when he was at Michigan State.  Good post Supe.  Interesting to see where the connections come from.  

That's right, I forgot about McDaniels at Michigan State.

There might be other ties from Mangini's Cleveland staff, also.

By the way, Jake Peetz was an offensive assistant at Alabama in 2013.

By the way,  in another thread,  Eberflus' wife put up a picture of her and the hubby on Snapchat (I think) and the pic had a Colts logo on it.

Aint nothing official until the WIFE says it's official.    

So,  I guess,  it's official!      The wife has spoken!!

7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So true. I don't even know how you could judge Eberflus; everyone just assumes the next guy is an upgrade. 

5 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

what is the base defense of the cowboys

5 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

sounds like he will system to the talent we have instead of making the talent play to his system, i like it

The interesting thing is, a good many teams these days are in sub packages on D 60% to 70% of the time.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

By the way,  in another thread,  Eberflus' wife put up a picture of her and the hubby on Snapchat (I think) and the pic had a Colts logo on it.

When you consider how much a wife has to do with the family/home during football season (nearly all of it...) it really is important to get that stamp of approval.

53 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

A talking head at ESPN speculated Eberflus didn't want to step on Marinelli's toes, which says a lot about our new DC.

According to sources, the Cowboys were willing to make Eberflus the coordinator and promote Marinelli to an assistant head coach role, but Eberflus did not want step on the toes of Marinelli, who helped teach him the finer points of the 4-3 scheme in 2014.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Facebook official: the ultimate definition of a college relationship, when on one's Facebook profile it says "In a relationship" and your significant other's name

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Facebook Official

I like the lineage. 

I like that Eberflus has significant experience in both 4-3 and 3-4...I think we'll be more of a hybrid defense. 

Makes me think we'll be picking Chubb...or trading down. (I'm in favor of trading down, but Chubb would be just fine) 

If the Cowboys don't tag Lawrence (which they prob will) Eberflus could help lure him to Indy. 

Thanks for the research @Superman. Ed Werder confirms that he was offered the DC job in Dallas but he refused it;

This is another thing to consider as to why he accepted our offer - McDaniels as a new coach will have better job security than JG in Dallas, who might be gone as soon as next year.