Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sick of Gregg Doyel

Dr. T

The really hate filled hit piece on McDaniels in the local Indy paper is an embarrassment. I'm really getting tired of this guy. If we lost by a few points after the game he would be on video with his typical screed of: everybody sucks! ... Colts have NO talent... Ballard is an * ... coaches suck ... fire everybody ... Irsay is senile ... and on and on. Some people like him as a partner to Stephen Holder (who is more reasonable) and state that Gregg is more like a fan. But a fan usually tries to root for the team and find some sort of silver lining. He schtick is getting old and is a slap in the face to our new coach. Problem is that he would not be satisfied with anyone we picked. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

It's actually possible to not click on his articles. 

i usually dont any more, but hes our local papers reporter

he is also at post game interviews and what not, its hard to avoid him entirely if you follow the team closely

Somebody had to replace Kravitz at The Star, and he did just fine doing that. :) 

Like any writer, some articles have merit, and some do not. The timing of an article and the content, if it is more self-serving for one's image as a naysayer, can become obvious as well. In a lot of articles of Doyel's, it comes across that way.

It is like the goal of an article is determined first, whether to put a positive or a negative spin on a topic/person, and then gathering the facts to accentuate that spin while ignoring facts that provide fodder for a contrary spin.

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

Don't click on his articles. 

20 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

It's actually possible to not click on his articles. 

That's not the point.  I think we all want to be as informed as we can and he is the lead writer for the main paper that covers the team.  

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

That's not the point.  I think we all want to be as informed as we can and he is the lead writer for the main paper that covers the team.  

I get that media outlets have to make money to survive.  Unfortunately, to do that you have to appeal to the masses, and it seems the masses these days want their senses offended.  Whether its politics, reporting gruesome criminal acts, sports, or whatever.  Everyone understands sympathy or inflammatory content and it tugs at the most basic of instincts much easier than explaining how or why Luck is bad through the analysis of film or that Grigson is a terrible GM because of X, Y, and Z, etc.  Emotions are easier than thinking it through.  Don't believe me?  Just look at your facebook feed.

Doyel has really started to * me off this past year and his most recent article about McDaniels is just another great reason to hate him. While he does have a role as the "devils-advocate" or the "other side" type personality, he definitely takes it WAY too far at times, including this most recent work. 

The thing that I believe is LOGIC. McDaniels had a terrible time at Denver, no doubt about it. We know it, the league knows it, the players in our locker room have heard it, and HE KNOWS IT. He knows that in all likelihood, this could be his last head coach gig. Whether that goes for 4 years and he ends up being fired or that he has a 10+ year career in Indy with multiple Super Bowl rings, is sorta up to him and how he approaches the job. He knows that if he doesn't clean up some of the negative points from his last gig (arrogance, punk-like attitude, power-hungry, etc), he won't survive here long with Ballard. It is in his best self-interest to change and he seems like he knows it considering how he has talked about his Denver experiences PUBLICLY. And on top of everything, he doesn't have to be a GM as well. He only has to worry about coaching. 

Also one last thing, I believe completely in Ballard. I don't think Ballard can be easily fooled by a Josh McDaniels "faking" his change in attitude/approach to coaching. 

I think the chance of McDaniels being an above-average coach (to potentially a great hire) is much higher than him being a bust as Doyel seems to think. Just my two cents.

I have no evidence of this...but I wouldn't be surprised if part of Doyel's problem is irritation/frustration about local guys being shut out of this whole process. National guys (outside of the Nagy contract offer update with Kravitz) got all the scoops...while the local guys got nothing. The local guys spend a good amount of time at the Colts complex and are in it each day...meanwhile some CBS Sports guy in NYC is scooping their team's big news.  

And in this case, it was likely McDaniels who leaked the information to the national guys regarding the Colts. I bet if McDaniels or Ballard called Doyel and gave him information, his "articles" would have a different angle.

52 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

He's not a lead writer or a reporter. He's a columnist, and he writes opinion. Holder and Keefer report on the Colts, if you want to be informed, read them. You can shut Doyel out entirely. I have.

1 hour ago, Dr. T said:

Gregg is more like a fan. But a fan usually tries to root for the team and find some sort of silver lining.

He's not a fan, actually. I've seen zero indication that he actually likes the Colts. His job is to generate clicks, and rather than writing thoughtful and fair pieces, he's decided the best way to draw attention to himself is to troll actual Colts fans. 

:troll:

10 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I have no evidence of this...but I wouldn't be surprised if part of Doyel's problem is irritation/frustration about local guys being shut out of this whole process. National guys (outside of the Nagy contract offer update with Kravitz) got all the scoops...while the local guys got nothing. The local guys spend a good amount of time at the Colts complex and are in it each day...meanwhile some CBS Sports guy in NYC is scooping their team's big news.  

And in this case, it was likely McDaniels who leaked the information to the national guys regarding the Colts. I bet if McDaniels or Ballard called Doyel and gave him information, his "articles" would have a different angle.

Well, if they feel that way, perhaps the best way to get a chance is by not dog ballin his job.

1 hour ago, ad24rouse said:

I think his biggest problem is something is either the best thing ever or the worst ever. There's no in between with his opinions.

That's how the sensationalist "journalism" works these days. A strong, polarizing stance draws way more attention than a rational, fact-based piece.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well, if they feel that way, perhaps the best way to get a chance is by not dog ballin his job.

I have no idea...I am just speculating. Doyel always tends to be negative...so that could just be his way, regardless of the situation.

But Holder has mentioned several times that Ballard is running a very tight ship. But he also seems to be fine with it. And his article was much more neutral.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's not a lead writer or a reporter. He's a columnist, and he writes opinion. Holder and Keefer report on the Colts, if you want to be informed, read them. You can shut Doyel out entirely. I have.

I hear what your saying but he does get top billing on the sports section of the website at least.   I personally can't not read something about the team when i see it.  I certainly don't see anything wrong with reading his articles and posting displeasure about them.  I think that's what the original point of this thread was which is what i meant by the point being missed. 

4 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I hear what your saying but he does get top billing on the sports section of the website at least.   I personally can't not read something about the team when i see it.  I certainly don't see anything wrong with reading his articles and posting displeasure about them.  I think that's what the original point of this thread was which is what i meant by the point being missed. 

I get it. When I recognize that someone is only interested in trolling, I don't give them any more of my attention. It's like if someone is prank calling you from the same number, you don't keep answering. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I get it. When I recognize that someone is only interested in trolling, I don't give them any more of my attention. It's like if someone is prank calling you from the same number, you don't keep answering. 

yeah.  i tell people i have the mentality of the kid from the movie porky's who keeps going back only to get beat up time and time again.  I'm a glutton for punishment.  

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

Unless they're hilarious. Did you ever hear any of the old Mr. Bergis prank phone calls? Good stuff.

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Unless they're hilarious. Did you ever hear any of the old Mr. Bergis prank phone calls? Good stuff.

Nope, you'll have to point me in the right direction...

But yeah, if you enjoy it and it's entertaining, by all means, keep reading. I just don't want to see a new complaint thread every time Doyel posts a new "article."