Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rank The Colts IN AFC South

dw49

Just thinking if Texans get Watson and a few others back and we get a healthy Luck  , this EASILY could go from being the worst division in football in 2016 to the best in 2018. The Colts , Titans and Jags all have ample cap room and the Colts pick 3rd in the draft . I'd say Jags 1 with Colts slightly better than the Titans and Houston maybe last as they have little cap room and are missing their 1st and 2nd rounders.  

I'm sure someone could strongly argue that I'm too optimistic rating the Colts over the Titans.

35 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I think a lot of this depends on how healthy each team is next season. That plays a huge role. 

Yeah, that final week 17 game against Houston was a comparison of which team had more on the injured reserve. Both teams were decimated.

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Let's do this post-draft...:thmup:

I agree but I posted the way I did so I could keep it in the Colt forum rather than it getting shoved to the NFL forum. My point really is this division could easily be the best in the NFL this year. 

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Unless I'm mistaken Jags don't have much cap space

They are at 18th with 25 million in cap room. So you're more right than I am. What threw me off was Jax taking the 5th year option (19+ million)  on Bortles. I don't think that had happened the last time I looked . So it went from like 44 to the 25. 

I don't care how much hype the Texans are gonna give Watson, or how high Mariota's ceiling is. I truly believe Andrew Luck is the best QB in the division. So whilst J'Ville has the devastating defense, Tennessee has the thumping ground game and overall talent, and the Texans have the big game changers on both sides of the ball, I still think with a healthy Luck, Indy is top 2 in the division. This off season is key obviously, but if Luck recovers as expected, the team adds some talent on either side of the ball, and some of our second year players get even better (Especially Hooker and Wilson, who I think got super high ceilings), we should super compete for the divisional crown. 

Long way to go, but I'm optimistic. Hopefully when the McDaniels stuff gets finalized, we can get going on turning this team around from a putrid 2017.

Houston could be vastly improved next season but it all depends on Watt and Watson.

Jacksonville's savage defense isn't close to maximizing its potential.  Having to play them twice will take its toll.

Tennessee is just a very solid football team dependable on both sides of the ball.

I'd really need to see what free agency and the draft bears to predict how the Colts will perform against the AFCSouth.  As of right now it looks like it will be one hell of a challenge to come out on top.

54 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Titans will definitely be the worst. They just fired their coach, and I don't know if they were planning on getting McDaniels, but if so, we just pulled the rug from underneath them. They'll need to rebuild things next season.

I'm sorry...    how is the Titans situation any different than the Colts?

Except their QB is healthy and their roster is dramatically better than ours..

As of today,  mid-January?

We're last.    Dead last.

We have a QB whose health status is unknown and we easily have the worst roster in the conference.

Doesn't mean we'll finish last in the conference.     There is still the matter of Free Agency, the draft and yes,  the health of Andrew Luck.       If those go well for the Colts,  then we likely won't be last in 2018.

But if they don't.........................       :peek:

We're last right now. Complete coaching overhaul, suspect QB future, young defense with potential, but we're bottom 3 in D at the moment. Suspect O-line. I know we had injuries, but so did the others.

Texans assuming watson is legit get back mercilus and JJ watt and that's 3 of their 5 best players back. They retain their coaching staff, i don't predict vrabel gets his hc shot this year.

Jags and titans advanced in their playoffs and their records are what they say they are.

So yes we're last. Things can change quickly with a good draft, FA haul as the rams, vikings, jags all have shown.

One thing's for sure, AFC South is no longer the weakest division in football. We're top 3 at worst next year.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

We have a QB whose health status is unknown and we easily have the worst roster in the conference.

Doesn't mean we'll finish last in the conference.     There is still the matter of Free Agency, the draft and yes,  the health of Andrew Luck.       If those go well for the Colts,  then we likely won't be last in 2018.

The health of Luck is huge, we both know it. I want to follow that like we all do and see how Free Agency and the Draft goes. A lot can change between now and May.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I mean we beat Houston twice this year and if you’re basing Luck off his injuries, you have to fairly equate Watson into the same equation. Watson makes them better, but Luck makes us better. 

I dont think we are much better though with that said

Jump back 12 months, to january 2017, and rank the 2017 Saints in their division. Their rivals were the Falcons, who were just heading to the superbowl as hot favourite. The Panthers, the loosers of previous season's superbowl. And the Bucs, an up and coming hot young team with a franchise QB in place.

Where would you rank the Niners now?

I could argue that the Colts will struggle and finish at 4th. I could also argue that they will win the division. I can't decide which argument would be stronger.

On 1/16/2018 at 1:33 PM, Peterk2011 said:

Jump back 12 months, to january 2017, and rank the 2017 Saints in their division. Their rivals were the Falcons, who were just heading to the superbowl as hot favourite. The Panthers, the loosers of previous season's superbowl. And the Bucs, an up and coming hot young team with a franchise QB in place.

Where would you rank the Niners now?

I could argue that the Colts will struggle and finish at 4th. I could also argue that they will win the division. I can't decide which argument would be stronger.

Niners? Second in that division, behind the Rams.

6 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

First place: Jags

Second place: Colts

Third place: Texans 

Fourth place: Titans..

The Titans will regret firing Malarky (sp)

Titans can't do much worse than Mularkey. The candidates they're looking at now are upgrades over him,

On 1/16/2018 at 9:52 AM, ColtsBlitz said:

I mean we beat Houston twice this year and if you’re basing Luck off his injuries, you have to fairly equate Watson into the same equation. Watson makes them better, but Luck makes us better. 

I dont think we are much better though with that said

Unfortunately, the Texans also get JJ watt and whitney mercilus back

On 1/15/2018 at 11:50 PM, dw49 said:

They are at 18th with 25 million in cap room. So you're more right than I am. What threw me off was Jax taking the 5th year option (19+ million)  on Bortles. I don't think that had happened the last time I looked . So it went from like 44 to the 25. 

That fifth year option is guaranteed for injury only. As long as he doesn’t get injured in the postseason, they can cut him before the beginning of the league year and they owe him nothing. Remember how the Redskins picked up RG3’s fifth year option, sat him the entire season to avoid injury, and then cut him before the league year began?  

4 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

That fifth year option is guaranteed for injury only. As long as he doesn’t get injured in the postseason, they can cut him before the beginning of the league year and they owe him nothing. Remember how the Redskins picked up RG3’s fifth year option, sat him the entire season to avoid injury, and then cut him before the league year began?  

Yes , I was aware of that and I do remember RG and the skins. The issue only came up because I mentioned that the Jags had a lot of cap room and someone corrected me and pointed out it wasn't all that much. I answered that I saw the Jags cap space before they did the 5th year option on Bortles. 

8 hours ago, deedub75 said:

They can cut Bortles, but will they? They are in the AFCCG, with a slim chance to play in the Superbowl. The last time a playoff winning team cut his starting QB was Denver, cutting Tebow in favor of Manning. But that happened after the start of the new season.

They need to cut Bortles before free agency starts. Unless they can get Smith out of Kansas by a trade before the start of the new league year, I don't see that happen. There is no better alternative than Bortles out there other than Smith and Cousins, and they can't get Cousing before march.

I think they have no other choice atm, than "Flacco" themselves.

Assuming every roster is completely healthy (this is mostly about Luck and Watson though), I agree with others the Titans are definitely in last. I think the other three almost become a toss-up. Jacksonville has the best roster outside of QB, Houston has probably the next best roster with the second-best quarterback, Colts have best QB but the least talented roster otherwise of these three teams. Hard to really put one over the other.