Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Staff & Potential FA's linked to them

With McDaniels coming aboard as the HC he will want to bring in a couple guys to help with the transition/terminology. So let's look at a few Patriot free agents of note:

Nate Solder - LT

Deon Lewis - RB

Danny Amendola - WR

Likewise for the new DC from Dallas (who has spent most of his career in a 4-2, including the Seahawks Cover 3) let's look at a few Cowboy free agents of note:

DeMarcus Lawrence - DE (If not tagged)

Anthony Hitchens - LB

Jonathan Cooper - OL

Let's look at the Front Office connections to Seattle of note:

Luke Joeckel - OL

Sheldon Richardson - UT

Marcus Smith - DE

Byron Maxwell - CB

Jimmy Graham - TE

Let's look at Ballards connections to KC of note:

Zach Fulton - OL

Kenneth Acker - CB

There are plenty of other FA's out there that could help as well:

Greg Norwell - OL

Ziggy Ansah - DE

Essentially signing Lawerence or Ansah would enable us to get a Chubb level player while still drafting Saqoun Barkley. I'd dig it. 

Also, picking up Norwell would great as he would slide right in perfectly. 

AC - Norwell - Kelly is a very nice start. We could double down with RT and OG in the 2nd/3rd and go:

AC - Norwell - Kelly - Hernandez (3) - Miller (2) which I would love. 

I would be happy with Fulton from KC.  Good interior linemen for half of Norwell's price.  Hitchens would be a great ILB pick-up.  Eberflus is his position coach so that could help.  Dion Lewis would be pretty good as well to help build on and help players with McDaniels offense.  Other than that there are a few guys I would like, such as, Trumaine Johnson and Preston Brown.  Have two good ILB's plus a dominant CB.  Draft Chubb and another guard/OT.  We could make some improvements very quick.

30 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I don't know what hiring a coach away from another team has to do with signing a FA, but Ansah would be on my list of signees if I could make it happen.

Some FA's may choose to follow a coach that they like.  

Say Anthony Hichens really likes his LB's coach who's going to be our DC.  That would mean that the Colts would at the very least get an inside shot at signing him.

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Some FA's may choose to follow a coach that they like.  

Who the coach is is always a factor.  I take issue with it being the primary consideration.  In other words, you don't bring in coaches based on what players he's worked with because they might lure a certain player.  It might be possible, but you don't count on it (i.e. not the primary consideration).  In the same vein, players might visit a team because of certain coaches, but if the pay isn't right, its not going to be a strong option, more often than not.

20 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Who the coach is is always a factor.  I take issue with it being the primary consideration.  In other words, you don't bring in coaches based on what players he's worked with because they might lure a certain player.  It might be possible, but you don't count on it (i.e. not the primary consideration).  In the same vein, players might visit a team because of certain coaches, but if the pay isn't right, its not going to be a strong option, more often than not.

Yea I think you are looking at the OP backwards.  The reported coaches coming with McDaniels have been mentioned, thus including players who are involved with them.  That is it.  No one is saying we hired coaches in hopes for the players they coached....that is just craziness!

32 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

That's all very true.  

But it may give us an inside track on guys they've worked with.  You still have to pay them, and hiring a coach just to attract a player is stupid, you still need your coaches to be competent.  

I think this is actually a pretty good FA group for making a shift to a 4-3 defense. Fortunately, all of his long-term commitments from last offseason will fit (which I assume was the plan). But even given the amount of activity last offseason, I fully expect Ballard to get heavily involved in FA on the defensive side...including in the front 7.

A few more names to keep an eye on that haven't been mentioned:

DL - Kony Ealy, Alex Okafor

CB - Kyle Fuller

ILB  - Christian Jones

OLB - Nigel Bradham, Mychal Kendricks (if cut)

I think we could see pickups at ILB, OLB, DE and DT. Could look something like this in early March:

RDE - Ealy

RDT - Hankins

LDT - ?

LDE - Sheard

Will - Kendricks

Mike - Hitchens

Sam - Simon

That would set up a ton of flexibility heading into the draft. Get an elite defensive prospect (ideally a pass rusher) and then go after some positions on offense like OL, RB and WR.

my FA list:

2018 Free Agency

WR Jarvis Landry 3m

WR Davante Adams 3m

TE Jimmy Graham 12m

TE Niles Paul 3m

TE Austin-Seferian Jenkins 1.5m

RB Le’Veon Bell 16m

RB Carlos Hyde 2.5m (cheap option)

CB Malcolm Butler 5m

CB Kyle Fuller 4.5m

CB E.J. Gaines (trade so doubt will be a FA) 2.5m

SS Eric Reid ++++ 8m

SS Tavon Wilson IR 1.75m

ILB Mason Foster 2m

MLB Preston Brown ++ 3m

ILB Todd Davis (bu) 1.5 m

MLB Anthony Hitchens + 1.75m

ILB Christian Jones ++ 2.25m

ILB Avery Williamson ++ 3m

OLB Devon Kennard (strong side) (bu+) 750k

DE Jared Crick (IR) + reduce weight move to OLB 2.5m

DT Daquan Jones (IR) + 1.5m

DT Shamar Stephen (depth) 650k

DE Kony Ealy 1.25m

DE Demarcus Lawrence +++ 2.5m

DE Aaron Lynch ++ (injured past 2 years but capable tkls and sacks) 1.5m (substance abuse)

DE Cassius Marsh 750k

LROG Justin Pugh 4m

C Weston Richburg 3.75m (2017 IR concussion?) missed one game 2015, played all 2014

C Daniel Kilgore 2.25m 30yo

LOG Andrew Norwell 4m

RT Garry Gilliam 3m

OG Xavier Su’a-Filo 1.75m

RT James Hurst 1.5m

RT LaAdrian Waddle 1.5m

OG Oday Aboushi 1.25m

OG Billy Turner 1m

45 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

my FA list:

2018 Free Agency

WR Jarvis Landry 3m

WR Davante Adams 3m

TE Jimmy Graham 12m

TE Niles Paul 3m

TE Austin-Seferian Jenkins 1.5m

RB Le’Veon Bell 16m

CB Malcolm Butler 5m

CB Kyle Fuller 4.5m

CB E.J. Gaines (trade so doubt will be a FA) 2.5m

SS Eric Reid ++++ 8m

SS Tavon Wilson IR 1.75m

ILB Mason Foster 2m

MLB Preston Brown ++ 3m

ILB Todd Davis (bu) 1.5 m

MLB Anthony Hitchens + 1.75m

ILB Christian Jones ++ 2.25m

ILB Avery Williamson ++ 3m

OLB Devon Kennard (strong side) (bu+) 750k

DE Jared Crick (IR) + reduce weight move to OLB 2.5m

DT Daquan Jones (IR) + 1.5m

DT Shamar Stephen (depth) 650k

DE Kony Ealy 1.25m

DE Aaron Lynch ++ (injured past 2 years but capable tkls and sacks) 1.5m (substance abuse)

DE Cassius Marsh 750k

LROG Justin Pugh 4m

C Weston Richburg 3.75m (2017 IR concussion?) missed one game 2015, played all 2014

C Daniel Kilgore 2.25m 30yo

LOG Andrew Norwell 4m

RT Garry Gilliam 3m

OG Xavier Su’a-Filo 1.75m

RT James Hurst 1.5m

RT LaAdrian Waddle 1.5m

OG Oday Aboushi 1.25m

OG Billy Turner 1m

Are the numbers beside them what you think they will go for in free agency?

Dark horse target might be jimmy graham.  McDaniels could view him as the receiving equivalent of Gronk. Putting graham in a split role with Doyle on the line would be interesting to watch. Let graham work those corner routes with TY clearing and doyle underneath.

It would also allow us multiple formations from the same personnel similar to Utecht and Clark in the manning days.

I know McDaniels is supposed to be able to make the O run with cheaper personnel but it would be an interesting fix when we need another WR anyway.

22 hours ago, esmort said:

Are the numbers beside them what you think they will go for in free agency?

I used Spotrac.com and looked up recent player salaries a while back and did a quick FA value on them.  As in the past highly valued players will command and be over-paid thus values will obviously fluctuate.  Given past year's analysis can assume a lot of these players will be paid a much higher yearly salary than what I project.  This gives me a good baseline on what I think their projected values should be.

1 minute ago, OhioColt said:

I used Spotrac.com and looked up recent player salaries a while back and did a quick FA value on them.  As in the past highly valued players will command and be over-paid thus values will obviously fluctuate.  Given past year's analysis can assume a lot of these players will be paid a much higher yearly salary than what I project.  This gives me a good baseline on what I think their projected values should be.

I don't exactly how you came to those numbers, but most are way too low.

1 hour ago, OhioColt said:

Devonte Adams isn't a free agent He signed an extension with GB. To give you an idea how far off you are at 3m the extension was for 4yrs 58M Zeitler last year signed s 5yr 60M deal You aren't signing anyone at those numbers 

On 2018. 01. 18. at 7:06 AM, OhioColt said:

2018 Free Agency

WR Jarvis Landry 3m

TE Jimmy Graham 12m

RB Le’Veon Bell 16m

CB Malcolm Butler 5m

You are way off with your numbers friend. My estimations for some of the more interesting:

WR Jarvis Landry: 12-14m

TE Jimmy Graham: he'll get 7-9m, maybe less

RB Carlos Hyde: 5m

CB Malcolm Butler: hmm, 12-13m, but after this season I can see he'll only get 10-11

DE Demarcus Lawrence: he'll be franchise tagged (cca 17 m), or (less likely) signed for similar yearly deal