Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

REPORT: Colts expected to hire McDaniels as HC, per NFL.com

Superman

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think they just can't officially announce it until next week (regardless of whether the Pats win or lose next week).  But perhaps this is one of those worst kept secrets type of things

maybe it's just the colts that can't say anything?

8 minutes ago, Nadine said:

should they be talking about this before the end of the Patriots season?

I believe they can't have any sort of formal agreement, but I think at this point, we made our intentions known and he his.

5 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Even if he were to run a 4-3, it's not that big of a deal because Colts have personnel that fit.

Agreed. I think Ballard did a fantastic job bringing in FA and drafting defensive players that can thrive in either base defense. Sheard and Simon seem to thrive more in a 3-4, but I don't think a 4-3 base would be the end of the world for them.

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

so, with this development, I must ask..... HAVE WE REALLY LOOKED CLOSELY ENOUGH AT CHRIS BALLARD?  lolol  sorry......  I had to.

Yep, @GoPats - and you thought McDaniels wouldn't work for Irsay???

You don't know Chris Ballard, when was the last time any Colts GM pulled 2 trades with the Patriots in a single calendar year? I do think Ballard has been methodical and patient, lining his ducks in a row little by little before this HC hire.

Just now, IndyScribe said:

Would McDaniels really take Barkley? The offense runs well with Lewis and White, neither of which are on the level of Barkley. If we were to select a RB in the third round, the offense could run well too. 

you do need a power back for his offense as well

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

After Ballard wanted to interview Richard and Wilks...I think it's almost a lock that the Colts will have a 4-3 base defense next season. And I am good with it.

There are some decent FAs available that fit that defense...which should help the transition.

Chubb, if we were to take him, is also a natural 4-3 player. No need to convert him into 3-4.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep, @GoPats - and you thought McDaniels wouldn't work for Irsay???

You don't know Chris Ballard, when was the last time any Colts GM pulled 2 trades with the Patriots in a single calendar year? I do think Ballard has been methodical and patient, lining his ducks in a row little by little before this HC hire.

What?  I am a big Irsay backer, you must have me pegged as someone else..   the post about looking at Ballard closely was poking fun at whoever posted that topic last week and used all caps for random words....

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Eberflus is a hot name. I've heard Dallas was grooming him to be their DC when Marinelli decides to retire. He might be a low-key awesome hire. 

Those are the kind of guys you're looking for, IMO.

Just now, Shafty138 said:

What?  I am a big Irsay backer, you must have me pegged as someone else..

No, I was doubling down on your intention to downplay naysayers. 

@GoPats was another poster who said McDaniels won't work for Irsay while I was arguing the opposite, much like every naysayer including ones that wrote in CAPS. :thmup:

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Now let's hope some crazy story does not emerge out of NE, that Bill Belichick is to retire and McDaniels will replace him.

I’d hope the Colts have a few backup plans. I’d be shocked if Ballard doesn’t.

Just now, ad24rouse said:

How much is the OC really going to matter other than preparation/development during the week? McDaniels will be calling the plays.

Like Sean McVay/Matt LeFleur??? Sean needed Matt to do the quality control and film part to add to his knowledge and that is how Peetz will probably be used.

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Wonder if BB just retires at the end of this season, with his staff getting gutted by 2 ccoordinators filling spots by promoting Pats position coaches....

I think with every thing that transpired between BB, Kraft/Brady, this could be BB's last season, especially with the staff turnover and if they win the SB. After Kraft insisted on staying with Brady until the wheels fall off, BB said "fine.." and traded away both of their backups for peanuts. Kraft has the emotional attachment to Brady, while BB is known to move on from career star Patriots past their prime and has no emotion involved at all.

That move tells me that BB isn't happy with the direction Kraft wants the team to follow and is ready to drop the mic..

24 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Ill wait till its official to fully believe anything i hear, i dont understand why the Titans would say Mularky is staying and than fire him a couple days later, they had to have some interest in Mcdaniels and some hope of getting him.

ESPN reported that the Titans did extend an offer to Mularkey and they couldn't come to an agreement.  Ownership wanted changes to his staff and Mularkey didn't want to make any changes.  

If I were making millions of dollars a year coaching, I'd fire my wife to keep the job.  LOL!

Just now, Virtuoso80 said:

I think it's a promotion not lateral move

Don't let csmopar see this...

It's a promotion, but the team can block anything that's not a head coaching job. In this case, Eberflus' contract expires after the SB, so the Cowboys can't block him from leaving.