Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ian Rapoport: Colts coaching search down to McDaniels or Vrabel

stitches

I have been having a little problem accepting/warming up to this McDaniels as our HC possibility BUT if you are consistently every year a SB contender, Use draft picks and develop them, Hire FA that other teams don't want and make all pro's. There just might be something here for us to learn from. The  thing that helped the most in improving my opinion of McD, is when I learned he reached out to Tony Dungy.

But as many of you have stated, a offense patterned after NE and a defense patterned after Seatlle sounds amazing  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

That's a fair response. I agree about the Chuck comment.

Vrabel still just doesn't intrigue me at all. I don't see much upside to the actual strategic side of things, once it comes to gameplanning, on-field decisions, clock management.

Yea, I don't disagree with a lot of what you say.  My thought process is that if he is a good leader, he would be able to hire the right guys, delegate, and pay attention to what they're saying.

6 minutes ago, MTC said:

After everything I have been reading and hearing, I would be shocked if Josh McDaniels is not the next head coach. 

As for Vrabel, he would be a very intriguing hire.

It would not be intriguing, it would be awful and everyone on this site knows it. Without getting into a list of opinionated comments, his defense this past year in Houston, horrible. Nuff said

Here's a Texans fans thoughts on Vrabel, from reddit (sorry for length):

"just based on what i have seen. he is really good with the linebackers, but that is about it. our dbs were atrocious last year and had so many blown coverage and assignments. i dont think the players were the worst bunch, so i attribute it to the DC not setting them up right or having them communicate right. the defense just didnt look as flush as before, even when jj and merciless were playing. week 1 vs the jags our dbs could not tackle fournette properly. they had to be ready for the run game and werent. i just feel like we saw that alot, they had to be ready for something and werent (brandon cooks, russ wilson, etc)

we went from best defense to one of the worst and the watson show. the only pieces we really lost from last year were merciless/wilfork/demps, since we didnt have jj either year.

if i had to guess why the defense lagged this year i would say its because he is a player and only has a few years coaching experience. his knowledge is focused up front and his zones with the outside safety / db coverage always seemed to get busted.

he has some ohio state experience (not sure what extent).. but with us he was a LB coach 2 years and a DC 1 year. hes not some mcvay whos father and grandfather build him to coach from a young age. hes just a really good player who has been coaching the nfl for 3 years. i think he could use a few more years as a DC first. show some success first, because he has not shown any yet. all he has shown is with romeo DCing he can coach up merciless/cushing/clowney/mckinn which probably isnt that hard to do. those guys already coached up.

no hate. love that he is our DC and he has a really high potential. but if BOB was fired i would be fuming if he got our HC spot. maybe im not risky enough and his potential is worth taking. clearly hes trying his best and devoting himself to it, and hes young."

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

And if the Colts get McDaniels it would be wise to get a good defensive Coordinator. See what I did there?

I was just wondering what OC choices are out there?

Seems to me like we may have a bigger a problem finding someone to run the defense with McDaniels,

than we would have finding someone to run the offense with Vrabel.

7 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

"just based on what i have seen. he is really good with the linebackers, but that is about it. our dbs were atrocious last year and had so many blown coverage and assignments. i dont think the players were the worst bunch, so i attribute it to the DC not setting them up right or having them communicate right. the defense just didnt look as flush as before, even when jj and merciless were playing. week 1 vs the jags our dbs could not tackle fournette properly. they had to be ready for the run game and werent. i just feel like we saw that alot, they had to be ready for something and werent (brandon cooks, russ wilson, etc)

we went from best defense to one of the worst and the watson show. the only pieces we really lost from last year were merciless/wilfork/demps, since we didnt have jj either year.

if i had to guess why the defense lagged this year i would say its because he is a player and only has a few years coaching experience. his knowledge is focused up front and his zones with the outside safety / db coverage always seemed to get busted.

he has some ohio state experience (not sure what extent).. but with us he was a LB coach 2 years and a DC 1 year. hes not some mcvay whos father and grandfather build him to coach from a young age. hes just a really good player who has been coaching the nfl for 3 years. i think he could use a few more years as a DC first. show some success first, because he has not shown any yet. all he has shown is with romeo DCing he can coach up merciless/cushing/clowney/mckinn which probably isnt that hard to do. those guys already coached up.

no hate. love that he is our DC and he has a really high potential. but if BOB was fired i would be fuming if he got our HC spot. maybe im not risky enough and his potential is worth taking. clearly hes trying his best and devoting himself to it, and hes young."

In regards to this, I would say look at Mike Tomlin. He is a leader of men and can command a room. He also had only 4 years of coaching experience (Tampa Bay Bucs DB coach) and then 1 year of DC at Minnesota Vikings before becoming Steelers head coach. 

Could Vrabel be that guy? Who knows. But could be BOOM pick. 

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I was just wondering what OC choices are out there?

Seems to me like we may have a bigger a problem finding someone to run the defense with McDaniels,

than we would have finding someone to run the offense with Vrabel.

I mean no matter what philosophy a HC has, youre going to want to pair them with a good coordinator on the other side of the ball. There’s plenty of OC choices. John Fox, Mike McCoy, John DeFilipe, Shula, etc..

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I may be wrong but I think once we interviewed McDaniels it was over. We just haven't said anything yet.

Yeah, it always seemed like he was their first and only choice. I'm okay with that, Vrabel doesn't seem ready yet.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I mean no matter what philosophy a HC has, youre going to want to pair them with a good coordinator on the other side of the ball. There’s plenty of OC choices. John Fox, Mike McCoy, John DeFilipe, Shula, etc..

Yeah. I like the sound of John DeFilipe (I forgot about him)  and perhaps Shula. I think Fox is a defensive coach. Thanks

1 minute ago, chad hugo said:

Yeah, it always seemed like he was their first and only choice. I'm okay with that, Vrabel doesn't seem ready yet.

McDaniels is a pretty big name coming from the Pats. Great Offensive mind as well. I am fine with it if we hire him. He did fail in Denver but he was young then. I am sure he has matured a lot over the last 8 years or so. 

The thing with Vrabel is this works out well with him. With really only a handful of years coaching, he's already got the reputation of being a guy Owners/GM's want to lead their team. He'll probably end up being Houston's DC again this upcoming year, but now he knows in the back of his mind teams are taking a good look at him. It gives him the opportunity to further prove himself and allows him to be a little more selective when he does apply again. 

Like others, I don't think he's quite ready yet, but in 3 to 5 years he may be the "guy". 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

McDaniels is a pretty big name coming from the Pats. Great Offensive mind as well. I am fine with it if we hire him. He did fail in Denver but he was young then. I am sure he has matured a lot over the last 8 years or so. 

Oh definitely ! Im sure he can extend Luck's career just by the scheme he runs with the quick short check down passes. 

Or is that just how Brady plays?

10 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

If we post Broncos fans views on McDaniels... as a head coach... it would be worse, much worse.

McDaniels is my choice, but I'm not ready to dismiss Vrabel.  He's obviously showing something in interviews.  Perhaps he's better suited to be a head coach than a DC.  That is possible.  Polian said, when looking for a head coach, he cared little as to whether they were a good coordinator or not.  To him, head coach is a different job.  

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I may be wrong but I think once we interviewed McDaniels it was over. We just haven't said anything yet.

We interviewed Nagy from KC, so that wouldn't explain Toub not being interviewed.

13 minutes ago, #12. said:

If we post Broncos fans views on McDaniels... as a head coach... it would be worse, much worse.

McDaniels is my choice, but I'm not ready to dismiss Vrabel.  He's obviously showing something in interviews.  Perhaps he's better suited to be a head coach than a DC.  That is possible.  Polian said, when looking for a head coach, he cared little as to whether they were a good coordinator or not.  To him, head coach is a different job.  

Key difference there is that with McDaniels/Denver, that was 8 years ago and by all accounts he's changed pretty drastically. These are very current takes of Vrabel from Texans fans.

To the bolded though, if we do hire Vrabel I hope Polian's right.

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Here is my theory that the Colts HC decision will play out between three candidates. 

McDaniels

Vrabel

Patricia (indirectly)

The article by Rapoport says the Colts are down to McDaniels or Vrabel.

He mentions McDaniels is in the mix for the Giants as is Patricia.

The Lions seem to prefer Patricia but Vrabel is their other option.

If the Colts want Vrabel he could sign with us at any time, so if Vrabel is the man they want it's possible he signs soon...

However, if the Colts prefer McDaniels we have to wait, and then the Giants may compete with us.

So assuming the Giants first choice ends up being McDaniels (over Patricia)...

Once NE is done playing, it would come down to McDaniels to either Indy or NY

If McDaniels then chooses NY

Detroit then would be able to get Patricia and the Colts end up with Vrabel.

I’m not saying this will happen but what if the Patriots win the Super Bowl and Belichick calls it quits. The Colts have been waiting for the Patriots playoff run to end so they can sign McDaniels and he then gets promoted to HC. That would be something. 

1 minute ago, Luck 4 president said:

Does anyone know when we will know if it’s mcdaniels? Like would we have to wait for the patriots season to end or can we make the hire before? 

Technically, can't make the hire before.

But if by say late next week the Pats are still in the playoffs and we haven't hired Vrabel yet, that should be a pretty clear indication that it's McDaniels.

At first, I was against McDaniels coming here.   After reading some posts, I'm rethinking that.  He can certainly run an offense and could benefit Luck very well, provided that O-line issues are fixed, which I think he'll do.

I didn't like him in Denver but I think he's matured in his professionalism since then.