Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ian Rapoport: Colts coaching search down to McDaniels or Vrabel

stitches

I thought this is kind of big so I am making a separate thread about it. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905745/article/where-things-stand-for-cardinals-colts-giants-lions-vacancies

Indianapolis Colts

Indianapolis has narrowed its search to two candidates: Patriotsoffensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and Texans defensive coordinator Mike Vrabel. The plan is to gather intel this weekend, meet, then proceed on Monday with either second interviews or simply by making a choice. McDaniels figures to be the front-runner, in part because if it was Vrabel the Colts would have made a move already. Based on the relationship between GM Chris Ballard and McDaniels, as well as McDaniels' prowess with the quarterback position, McDaniels has long been in the lead. The only issue is, the hire may not be made until early February.

Thoughts? 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’m all for Mcdaniels. That snippet already explains why it’s going to be him. Vrabel is ready and available for hire right now. 

Only worrisome part is the pats going on a run and not finalizing things until February.  Hoping he already has his coordinators lined up

Here is my theory that the Colts HC decision will play out between three candidates. 

McDaniels

Vrabel

Patricia (indirectly)

The article by Rapoport says the Colts are down to McDaniels or Vrabel.

He mentions McDaniels is in the mix for the Giants as is Patricia.

The Lions seem to prefer Patricia but Vrabel is their other option.

If the Colts want Vrabel he could sign with us at any time, so if Vrabel is the man they want it's possible he signs soon...

However, if the Colts prefer McDaniels we have to wait, and then the Giants may compete with us.

So assuming the Giants first choice ends up being McDaniels (over Patricia)...

Once NE is done playing, it would come down to McDaniels to either Indy or NY

If McDaniels then chooses NY

Detroit then would be able to get Patricia and the Colts end up with Vrabel.

I feel like I can’t argue with either choice. I see positives in both. 

McDaniels:

-hell of a play caller

-did great things with Orton in Denver

-seems to have really learned from his mistakes in Denver

-Relationship with Dungy

-Coached Bradford, Brady, Brissett, Jimmy G, Cassell

Vrabel

-leader of men

-well respected

-coached under Belichick, Urban Meyer, Romeo Crennel and Bill OBrien

-coached Dline, linebackers and D Coordiantor

lol, I may have just talked myself into Vrabel. Who knows. Truly would be happy with either. 

46 minutes ago, stitches said:

I thought this is kind of big so I am making a separate thread about it. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905745/article/where-things-stand-for-cardinals-colts-giants-lions-vacancies

Thoughts? 

So our choices are between a current Pats coach or a former Pat player.....It feels a little wrong lol

17 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I feel like I can’t argue with either choice. I see positives in both. 

McDaniels:

-hell of a play caller

-did great things with Orton in Denver

-seems to have really learned from his mistakes in Denver

-Relationship with Dungy

-Coached Bradford, Brady, Brissett, Jimmy G, Cassell

Vrabel

-leader of men

-well respected

-coached under Belichick, Urban Meyer, Romeo Crennel and Bill OBrien

-coached Dline, linebackers and D Coordiantor

lol, I may have just talked myself into Vrabel. Who knows. Truly would be happy with either. 

I have similar feelings.

7 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Man, I really don't want Vrabel. Don't think he's ready at all.

6 years of coaching. 1 as a DC. I don't really want our next HC's best trait to be "a leader of men." And that seems like his best trait by far. 

When people describe him as a coach I envision Pagano, pretty much.

I don't think Vrabel is dumb 

Vrabel is also a candidate in Detroit.  They might move on Vrabel if they think Patricia would choose the Giants over them especially knowing he's a finalist here.  Rap also mentioned we could add another guy.  I guess that's where Toub could come back into the picture.  I know it appears McDaniels is the frontrunner but the fact that two names have emerged tells me Ballard has clearly not made up his mind 100%. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well I'm not sure how much to take this with. Rapport is pretty reliable but the way the Colts have kept things quiet, makes me wonder the validity of this

With us not hiring Wilks, nagy, and the Baylor coach (forgot his name), this seems pretty valid that these could be our last two coaching candidates. Things leak out, that's the way it is these days in the social media world. It makes perfect sense since McDaniels can't be hired yet and Vrabel hasn't been hired yet either.

17 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

If the Colts hire Vrabel, it would be vital to get a good offensive coordinator.

Who would that be?

You're right, we had an elite passing game and offense in 2016, but we need be smarter on offense, protect Luck better and run the ball better.

That said, in general the offense is good enough to win games, so if it is Vrabel, maybe he becomes who you had hoped Chuck would be.  Luck and the offense return to form and Vrabel gets the defense in order.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

With us not hiring Wilks, nagy, and the Baylor coach (forgot his name), this seems pretty valid that these could be our last two coaching candidates. Things leak out, that's the way it is these days in the social media world. It makes perfect sense since McDaniels can't be hired yet and Vrabel hasn't been hired yet either.

And if McDaniels chooses the Giants?