Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Miller: Bradley Chubb is special, not on Garrett's level but similar to Bosa

3 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

If he is, and tests well, he'd jump to first on my list to draft.

I think he'll probably test identical to Bosa probably.   The time is not going to be that fast, but just like Bosa his technique, brute strength, awareness, hand usage etc are what wins it for him.

12 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I'm more inclined to take Chubb or Key if that's the BPA on the Colts board. I think Barkley is an elite prospect, but I think he'll have less positional value because of the scheme we'll be running.  I'm sure we'll be running a RBBC system so we'll be using several backs for different things.   There won't be

as much need to have someone who is carrying the football 30 plus times a game.   I could see us later on picking up somebody like maybe Rashad Penny, Royce Freeman, Bo Scarborough(Legarret Blount), Nick Chubb etc.  The scheme we will implement I don't think there will be as much need for one guy to get all the carries.  Look at how they do things in Houston under Obrien.    They use multiple backs and none of them are high round draft picks.

4 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I'm more inclined to take Chubb or Key if that's the BPA on the Colts board.

I think Barkley is an elite prospect, but I think he'll have less positional value

because of the scheme we'll be running.  I'm sure we'll be running a RBBC

system so we'll be using several backs for different things.   There won't be

as much need to have someone who is carrying the football 30 plus times a

game.   I could see us later on picking up somebody like maybe Rashad Penny,

Royce Freeman, Bo Scarborough(Legarret Blount), Nick Chubb etc.  The scheme we will implement I don't think there will be as much need for one guy to get all the

carries.  Look at how they do things in Houston under Obrien.    They use multiple backs and none of them are high round draft picks.

On 1/12/2018 at 2:12 PM, Bluefire4 said:

That could be said about any player in the draft.

i concur, being good in college does not mean they can cut it in the nfl, i dont expect much from draft picks in year one and a lot of them are not on the team but a short time, draft picks are a crapshoot, i dont get excited about them

27 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think Barkley is an elite prospect, but I think he'll have less positional value

Royce Freeman, Bo Scarborough(Legarret Blount), Nick Chubb etc.  The scheme we will implement I don't think there will be as much need for one guy to get all the

carries.  Look at how they do things in Houston under Obrien.    They use multiple backs and none of them are high round draft picks.

Yeah, I think we shift away from Barkley after hiring McDaniels, who doesn't need elite backs to have an effective run game. I'd be fine with Chubb at 3, but if he's BPA. 

31 minutes ago, krunk said:

I do think Chubb is our guy but to say for sure we are going to be RBBC is a stretch.  Haley runs am identical system to Mcdaniels and he found plenty of use with Bell.  In fact if we were to pick up Barkley I'd imagine that's the offense we would see except with less of the stupid Haley gadget plays and more balance.

Barkley could make our offense a better version of Pitts and that's pretty dang good. 

2 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

I do think Chubb is our guy but to say for sure we are going to be RBBC is a stretch.  Haley runs am identical system to Mcdaniels and he found plenty of use with Bell.  In fact if we were to pick up Barkley I'd imagine that's the offense we would see except with less of the stupid Haley gadget plays and more balance.

Barkley could make our offense a better version of Pitts and that's pretty dang good. 

We're not talking about Haley here, we are talking about what the New England coaching tree typically does.  Not only that but what Mcdaniels did when he was on his own in Denver.   He had multiple backs like Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter and I'm sure there was someone else.  Knowshon was drafted high but I don't think that was by Mcdaniels.  I could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

We're not talking about Haley here, we are talking about what the New England coaching tree typically does.  Not only that but what Mcdaniels did when he was on his own in Denver.   He had multiple backs like Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter and I'm sure there was someone else.

Yes I know we aren't talking about Haley but him and Mcdaniels run E&P.  Both have a knack of utilizing what they have and if Mcdaniels has Barkley I'm pretty sure you are going to see the same stuff you see in Pitt.  So my point is if Mcdaniels is given a franchise back he is most likely not going to waste him in a RBBC he will probably use him like Haley does Bell...

14 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Looks like Mcdaniels was the coach when Moreno was drafted with the 12th pick in 2009 so I'll give that concession.   I still don't feel like they will take a back that high this time around knowing that they usually use multiple backs.   I won't curse the pick of course because we'd still be getting a very solid player.   I just think there's a lot of very solid committee backs in this draft that would allow you to create a very good rushing attack to go along with an elite level pass rusher.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Looks like Mcdaniels was the coach when Moreno was drafted with the 12th pick in 2009 so I'll give that concession.   I still don't feel like they will take a back that high this time around knowing that they usually use multiple backs.

I don't think it's likely either.  In fact with Eberflus in play I fully expect Chubb to be the pick unless he tests horribly at the combine.

2 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

I don't think it's likely either.  In fact with Eberflus in play I fully expect Chubb to be the pick unless he tests horribly at the combine.

I think it's very likely Chubb will be the pick, although I still keep saying after all the testing and Senior Bowl stuff I think Arden Key is going to rise pretty high.   I think he could be just like Chandler Jones.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think it's very likely Chubb will be the pick, although I still keep saying after all the testing and Senior Bowl stuff I think Arden Key is going to rise pretty high.   I think he could be just like Chandler Jones.

Key has a ton of flags.  I don't know if he can ever convince anyone to take him high.  He's a crazy good player though. 

14 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Yes I know we aren't talking about Haley but him and Mcdaniels run E&P.  Both have a knack of utilizing what they have and if Mcdaniels has Barkley I'm pretty sure you are going to see the same stuff you see in Pitt.  So my point is if Mcdaniels is given a franchise back he is most likely not going to waste him in a RBBC he will probably use him like Haley does Bell...

I'm sure he'd adjust if given Barkley, however I think if  Ballard were weighing Barkley vs Chubb he'd factor scheme and positional value into the equation when building the board.  That's where I think the pass rusher would edge out the RB.   Again I'd be happy if we got either one of them.  I'm just making some reasonable assumptions here.

Let us say we moved back to the 6th and got an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick, and then took Chubb?

Then, use one of those 2nd rounders and a future 1st rounder to move up to the Dolphins spot at #11 to get Nelson? 

Is that a possibility that fans would like? I would have no problem with it if

a) we know Nelson is a 1st round talent and

b) if our future 1st rounder ends up later in the round

both of which are realistic, IMO.

26 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

If they trade back and take landry i would be very happy.  If they picked him at 3 I would not think it that crazy.  

If Ballard took Harold Landry top 3 or even top 10, he would get bashed by so many draft analysts. Landry is not worth that high of a draft pick. Not high on Arden Key either.  

Just now, BProland85 said:

If Ballard took Harold Landry top 3 or even top 10, he would get bashed by so many draft analysts. Landry is not worth that high of a draft pick. Not high on Arden Key either.  

I knew that would sound crazy.  I didn't really explain my thinking.  

There were so many times in past drafts where Polian would make a selection and i would look at the analysts that had the guy going rounds later and i would get * but then time and time again it would be a good pick.

IF they chose Landry really high, i would trust that they see something or know something that the analyst don't.  And given that he lead the nation in sacks last year (2016) I could see there being some reason.  

IF they stay at 3 i'd like Fitz but i really want a trade down.  if they pick something i'm not ready for i'll have some faith.

9 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Yeah, I think we shift away from Barkley after hiring McDaniels, who doesn't need elite backs to have an effective run game. I'd be fine with Chubb at 3, but if he's BPA. 

Can't shift away from something you were never focused on.

42 minutes ago, BOTT said:

What red flags?

He's already been to rehab.  His weight hasn't been consistent and could be a huge problem.

His departure from LSU leaves people wondering if he will commit.

Multiple times he's been told to stay away from the people he hangs out with as they seem to be an issue.

When he is lean and in the zone he's a monster.  But is he going to be fit and is he going to be consistent?

18 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

With respect to Sweetness it wasn't him who lead the Bears to the super bowl.

Sorry. it was the 85 Bears. Yeah, they were led by their defense, but Payton still rushed for more than 1,500 yards and nine TDs --- had more than 2,000 yards from scrimmage.