Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Miller: Bradley Chubb is special, not on Garrett's level but similar to Bosa

This is in lock step with my evaluation. A lot will depend on his testing as I've said previously. He wins in similar ways to how Bosa wins(great strength and exceptional use of hands). Whether it will translate in the league IMO will depend a lot on how he tests. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is in lock step with my evaluation. A lot will depend on his testing as I've said previously. He wins in similar ways to how Bosa wins(great strength and exceptional use of hands). Whether it will translate in the league IMO will depend a lot on how he tests. 

He has exceptional hand use and very good bend. That always translates well in the NFL because the O-lineman cannot get their hands on him, similar to Bosa. The O-lineman in the NFL are so strong and stout. With good hand use, you can negate their strength and with good bend you can turn the corner even when being contacted by the O-lineman. I'd be fine with drafting Chubb at #3.

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is in lock step with my evaluation. A lot will depend on his testing as I've said previously. He wins in similar ways to how Bosa wins. Whether it will translate in the league IMO will depend a lot on how he tests. 

I do see Chubb being good but again this is a eval based on him in a 4-3 scheme.  Those OLB 3-4 test will matter more than anything else.  I for one have never cared for a comparison to Bosa.  Bosa stayed in a 4-3 and he did not have to switch up anything.  If we stay in a 3-4 then you are asking him to switch up. 

33 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I do see Chubb being good but again this is a eval based on him in a 4-3 scheme.  Those OLB 3-4 test will matter more than anything else.  I for one have never cared for a comparison to Bosa.  Bosa stayed in a 4-3 and he did not have to switch up anything.  If we stay in a 3-4 then you are asking him to switch up. 

Actually Bosa's rookie season the Chargers were in a 3-4. They went to a 4-3 this year when they hired Gus Bradley. Also Bosa did very well in the 3-4 and Melvin Ingram have almost similiar length and weight to Chubb. Melvin Ingram also ran a 4.8 at the combine and Bosa and Ingram are in top 5 of pass rushers. Just saying, 3-4 you tend to sometimes play your OLB in coverage but hardly ever. You let a pass rusher pass rush. Chubb can play in a 3-4 or 4-3. Lots of people thought Jabaal couldn't and he ended up being pretty solid at it and Chubb is a bigger freak than Sheard.

And about 4-6 weeks ago we had a similar tweet from NFL.com's Lance Zierlein...

He also called Chubb special and said he thought Chubb would go in the top THREE of the draft.  

The case for Chubb, either taking him, or trading him to a team that will pay a hefty price,  is a strong one and growing all the time...

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

There's no gray area in being able to rush the passer. 3-4/4-3 really make no difference if he's good at getting to the QB. If the kid tests well in his strength and agility drills, he should immediately become a target for the Colts come draft time.

If we are looking to improve the pass rush through the draft this offseason, there is Chubb, Key, and little else (depending on how you feel about Landry).

I'm sure that there are guys that Ballard has scouted who I don't know a lot about, but, with Ferrell(sp) likely returning to school, all I see are developmental prospects outside of the top half of round 1... Slim pickins, but next draft should be much better for Edge guys from what I can tell.

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And about 4-6 weeks ago we had a similar tweet from NFL.com's Lance Zierlein...

He also called Chubb special and said he thought Chubb would go in the top THREE of the draft.  

The case for Chubb, either taking him, or trading him to a team that will pay a hefty price,  is a strong one and growing all the time...

IMO if you think he's special and worth of a top 3 pick, you cannot trade out of that pick, unless you get some insane offer. This is almost like trading out of a position to draft a QB you think is special(when you need a QB). Nowadays pass-rushers are the second most important position after QB... you don't get the elite ones in any other way than through the draft and usually high in the draft 

I know we need a ton of things and we can use several high picks, but IMO you just cannot miss on that opportunity. We've been talking about getting elite pass-rusher in the draft for years and now that we are in position to take him and he will very likely be right there for us to take him... if you truly believe he will be special... YOU TAKE HIM! Just ... TAKE HIM! Just an example - open the Bosa draft. Is there a combination of 2 players drafted after Bosa in the first round that you would trade him for? I don't think there is and this assumes almost perfect hindsight 20/20 knowledge about how those players would look 2 years into the future. 

20 minutes ago, KING. said:

Exactly my point.

You had no point.. You contradicted yourself on Barkley and Chubb.

19 minutes ago, KING. said:

I'm torn on my feelings for Chubb. I have no idea if I would be happy with the pick. I honestly would be happier with Barkley over Chubb at 3. I guess we'll see.

What has Barkley proved that Chubb hasn't according to NFL standards?

1 hour ago, KING. said:

I'm torn on my feelings for Chubb. I have no idea if I would be happy with the pick. I honestly would be happier with Barkley over Chubb at 3. I guess we'll see.

Completely agree. Im not sure what I make of Chubb. He could be great, but then again I've seen other comparisons to him where he was compared to Derek Barnett, and I'm sorry but I'm not taking someone compared to Barnett with the #3 overall pick. 

If Chubb wows at the combine and shows elite athleticism, then I think you have to at least consider taking him. If he shows off at the combine, to me that makes him a better prospect over Bosa. Chubb has the numbers, he just needs to have the metrics and ability to win against opposing OL with his athleticism, and not just effort and technique. 

I think Chubb can be really special. He has great bend, great hands and can even chase down a speedy running back from behind according to what I saw on tape. The point is that as an EDGE, he has more than one move to get to the quarterback. The only thing he lacks is the ability to string multiple moves together in the same rush. (I'm not sure about his spin move either.) However, coach Robert Mathis cold easily teach him these things. :strong: 

10 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

haha no they don't.. When you can show me a SB winning team that spent a top-5 pick on a RB, that's when I'll buy into Barkely. Good luck finding that RB and team.

The Colts desperately need a solid pass rusher, but they need to give their franchise Quarterback some weapons and when your franchise QB is coming off shoulder surgery, you need to take as much pressure off of him as possible. Saquon Barkley does that.

If Luck continues to have no help, he's not going to last much longer and without him, the Colts are a 4-12 team at best.

1 minute ago, KING. said:

The Colts desperately need a solid pass rusher, but they need to give their franchise Quarterback some weapons and when your franchise QB is coming off shoulder surgery, you need to take as much pressure off of him as possible. Saquon Barkley does that.

If Luck continues to have no help, he's not going to last much longer and without him, the Colts are a 4-12 team at best.

I'm guessing you're either a "newer" Colts fan or have an extreme case of amnesia while Peyton was here with all of his "weapons".. Arguably they have to be one of the most underachieving teams in NFL history, along with the early 90's Bills and the 70's Vikings.. 

Barkely isn't anything more than a luxury pick for this team.. Literally a fake pair of * on an ugly chick..

Read an article saying last year Ballard in the first round wanted to draft either a safety or a edge player...we got Hooker as a safety.  This year Chubb would complete Ballard’s goal from last year.  

Rumor has it Cousins is interested in the Browns so am not totally convinced they need a franchise QB win now mindset if they get Cousins.  As for the Browns can see them taking BPA and taking Chubbs #1.  Carl Nassib played well but Chubbs immediately upgrades their need for an Edge player.  Next legitimately see the Browns offer to trade up with us to select RB Barkley to replace FA Crowell if they feared we were targeting Barkley.  The Browns still have plenty of draft picks so they can still wheel and deal if they desired and acquire a QB later...Browns have the leverage this draft

2 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'm guessing you're either a "newer" Colts fan or have an extreme case of amnesia while Peyton was here with all of his "weapons".. Arguably they have to be one of the most underachieving teams in NFL history, along with the early 90's Bills and the 70's Vikings.. 

Barkely isn't anything more than a luxury pick for this team.. Literally a fake pair of * on an ugly chick..

Why are you comparing teams from two completely different decades? You can't do that. These are different players, coaches, and General Managers. I'm sorry that Bill Polian invested all of the money on the offensive side of the ball, while the defense was forced to rely on Freeney and Mathis.

Right now, the Colts defense is better than the offense. I'm not big on drafting RB's this early, but I'll make an exception for Saquon because he's special and I wouldn't be shocked if the Colts took him at 3. Not one bit.

Our offense couldn't stay on the field this season and I don't even think a healthy Andrew Luck could win many more games than Jacoby had.

Honestly, I'll be happy with either guy because both guys have the talent to be special and the Colts need all the help they can get.

But it's time they give this offense some talent around Luck. I'm sick of watching him being wasted.

3 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Really? The defense ranked 30th in both yards and points. With Luck on the field I'd certainly hope the offense is better than that!

The defense was mauled with injuries, but the guys we had out there played their butts off and showed a lot of promise.

The offense this year was notorious for going three and out, which forced the defense to be on the field a lot. Our defense would be dead by the second half of most games.

8 minutes ago, KING. said:

The defense was mauled with injuries, but the guys we had out there played their butts off and showed a lot of promise.

The offense this year was notorious for going three and out, which forced the defense to be on the field a lot. Our defense would be dead by the second half of most games.

Whilst I agree with you about the three and outs the time of possesion figure doesn't really back up that the defense was on the field any more than you would expect. It's not an excuse for their poor play at all.

A couple of the players in the secondary showed promise but we were still poor at getting to the quarterback and getting off the field. As a whole group I'm certainly not confident in them though and they're a million miles away from where they need to be in comparison with the teams in the play offs.

13 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

haha no they don't.. When you can show me a SB winning team that spent a top-5 pick on a RB, that's when I'll buy into Barkely. Good luck finding that RB and team.

Well said. I can go back 12 years, based off memory.

2004/2005 season - Corey Dillon (New England Patriots) *

2005/2006 season - Willie Parker (Pittsburgh Steelers)

2006/2007 season - Dominic Rhodes (Indianapolis Colts)

2007/2008 season - Brandon Jacobs (New York Giants)

2008/2009 season - Willie Parker (Pittsburgh Steelers)

2009/2010 season - Pierre Thomas most yards, Mike Bell most attempts (New Orleans Saints)

2010/2011 season - Brandon Jackson/James Starks (Green Bay Packers)

2011/2012 season - Ahmad Bradshaw (New York Giants)

2012/2013 season - Ray Rice (Baltimore Ravens) *

2013/2014 season - Marshawn Lynch (Seattle Seahawks) *

2014/2015 season - Shane Vereen , though by committee (New England Patriots)

2015/2016 season - C.J.Anderson (Denver Broncos)

2016/2017 season - Dion Lewis, James White, though by committee (New England Patriots)

None of these backs were Top 5 draft picks.

Heck, the 2008/2009 SB between the Steelers and Cardinals was the last time a 1st round WR drafted won MVP. Santonio Holmes and Larry Fitzgerald shined in it but Holmes got the final straw. 

Seems like QB and defensive play have been bigger factors, IMO. If you have the QB to build around, that is what it is all about in the NFL. You can build a balanced team with an OL being able to excel in all phases and a D that can make timely stops. Then the QB can make it work with good coaching.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Seems like QB and defensive play have been bigger factors, IMO. If you have the QB to build around, that is what it is all about in the NFL. You can build a balanced team with an OL being able to excel in all phases and a D that can make timely stops. Then the QB can make it work with good coaching.

Exactly!! It's a quarterback league.

If you have an elite quarterback you're a play off team. If you have a defense that can smoother the opposition quarterback then you're a play off team. If you have both then you're a super bowl contender.

All the other areas of the team can be worked around with scheme, coaching and finding complimentary players rather than necessarily top college talents.

On 1/12/2018 at 11:12 AM, stitches said:

With the recent news of Mcdaniels wanting Mike Eberflus im now full board with Chubb.  Seems like a match made on heaven.  And I'm huge in Barkley.

On January 12, 2018 at 1:00 PM, Coltsfan0112 said:

Actually Bosa's rookie season the Chargers were in a 3-4. They went to a 4-3 this year when they hired Gus Bradley. Also Bosa did very well in the 3-4 and Melvin Ingram have almost similiar length and weight to Chubb. Melvin Ingram also ran a 4.8 at the combine and Bosa and Ingram are in top 5 of pass rushers. Just saying, 3-4 you tend to sometimes play your OLB in coverage but hardly ever. You let a pass rusher pass rush. Chubb can play in a 3-4 or 4-3. Lots of people thought Jabaal couldn't and he ended up being pretty solid at it and Chubb is a bigger freak than Sheard.

I will just leave this here.  The base theory of 3-4 is there but they did not run much of this and Bosa runs a typical DE roll.

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/11067/chargers-a-3-4-defense-in-name-only

19 hours ago, chad72 said:

Well said. I can go back 12 years, based off memory.

2004/2005 season - Corey Dillon (New England Patriots) *

2005/2006 season - Willie Parker (Pittsburgh Steelers)

2006/2007 season - Dominic Rhodes (Indianapolis Colts)

2007/2008 season - Brandon Jacobs (New York Giants)

2008/2009 season - Willie Parker (Pittsburgh Steelers)

2009/2010 season - Pierre Thomas most yards, Mike Bell most attempts (New Orleans Saints)

2010/2011 season - Brandon Jackson/James Starks (Green Bay Packers)

2011/2012 season - Ahmad Bradshaw (New York Giants)

2012/2013 season - Ray Rice (Baltimore Ravens) *

2013/2014 season - Marshawn Lynch (Seattle Seahawks) *

2014/2015 season - Shane Vereen , though by committee (New England Patriots)

2015/2016 season - C.J.Anderson (Denver Broncos)

2016/2017 season - Dion Lewis, James White, though by committee (New England Patriots)

None of these backs were Top 5 draft picks.

Heck, the 2008/2009 SB between the Steelers and Cardinals was the last time a 1st round WR drafted won MVP. Santonio Holmes and Larry Fitzgerald shined in it but Holmes got the final straw. 

I would be thrilled to have either guy, to be honest with you. I saw enough from Marlon Mack to know he can at least make plays for this team. Saquon Barkley would be an excellent addition to this offense, as well as Chubb to our defense. There are a few backs I wouldn't mind selecting in the 2nd or 3rd rounds of the draft either. You gotta wait and see what kind of moves the Colts make in FA first. If the Colts ended up making a bold move in signing someone like Leveon Bell,  a move like that would easily impact our draft needs.  Both players have the ability to be special players in this league, something the Colts could use on both sides of the ball.

Colts fans should be happy with either guy. I love Barkley and would love to see this offense with Saquon and a healthy Luck.

But if Bradley Chubb can be a game changer for us, then select him if you feel like he's your guy.

The only thing that scares me about Chubb is his maturity. Saquon Barkley is has a clean record and the kid is as mature as they come.

Ballard will know everything he needs to about these two by the time the Draft rolls around. If there's something about either one of these guys that pose as a huge red flag to Ballard, it will have an impact on his decision on which player to pick.

13 hours ago, KING. said:

I would be thrilled to have either guy, to be honest with you. I saw enough from Marlon Mack to know he can at least make plays for this team. Saquon Barkley would be an excellent addition to this offense, as well as Chubb to our defense. There are a few backs I wouldn't mind selecting in the 2nd or 3rd rounds of the draft either. You gotta wait and see what kind of moves the Colts make in FA first. If the Colts ended up making a bold move in signing someone like Leveon Bell,  a move like that would easily impact our draft needs.  Both players have the ability to be special players in this league, something the Colts could use on both sides of the ball.

Colts fans should be happy with either guy. I love Barkley and would love to see this offense with Saquon and a healthy Luck.

But if Bradley Chubb can be a game changer for us, then select him if you feel like he's your guy.

The only thing that scares me about Chubb is his maturity. Saquon Barkley is has a clean record and the kid is as mature as they come.

Ballard will know everything he needs to about these two by the time the Draft rolls around. If there's something about either one of these guys that pose as a huge red flag to Ballard, it will have an impact on his decision on which player to pick.

What about his maturity?

On 1/13/2018 at 5:52 PM, BleedBlu8792 said:

95 Bears. Walter Payton was the 4th pick in the draft.

1 hour ago, Gigc said:

And John Riggins was the sixth pick in the draft. It's a quarterbacks league, but great running backs can still carry you. Especially if they can catch the ball. Oh yeah, I think Marshall Faulk was the 4th overall pick.

Don't forget Red Grange

On 1/12/2018 at 12:57 PM, Carlos Danger said:

If we are looking to improve the pass rush through the draft this offseason, there is Chubb, Key, and little else (depending on how you feel about Landry).

I'm sure that there are guys that Ballard has scouted who I don't know a lot about, but, with Ferrell(sp) likely returning to school, all I see are developmental prospects outside of the top half of round 1... Slim pickins, but next draft should be much better for Edge guys from what I can tell.

I've liked what I've seen from Harold Landry so far.   Landry I think will be a good one.

2 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Oh, he's good, no doubt. Is he Bosa or Garrett level though?

Bosa definitely.  I'd be fine with Chubb or Key as I think Key is going to go pretty high once it's all said and done.  After all the combine and bowl game stuff I think his name will be right up there.  I think Key is another Chandler Jones or better.