Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has it sunk in yet, that Saquon Barkley is the pick?

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You think we trade down for a team that either wants a QB or even him?

IMO it would all depend if another team offered enough.

I wouldn't mind trading down if the value is there. Without having watched much film yet, it sounds like the can't miss favorites are at positions with lower positional value, so it makes sense on its face. But if we stayed put and took B. Chubb or a high upside at a premium position at #3, you won't see me complain either. We have too many holes to fill we could do practically anything and it should be fine with everyone provided it makes sense.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I may be wrong but type in Blake Bortles Contract then go look at it, It says Cap hit 19,053,000 for 2018. Its under Blake Bortles Contract details and breakdowns. I don't Post links here to certain sites because not sure what is allowed. 

If you read the small print above the listing at does say Bortles has to be on the roster on the first active day in 2018. His contract does not become guaranteed till that day. If the Jags do cut him before that day they are not taking any cap hit.

That is listed on the Over The Cap web site under contract notes.

I wouldn't be to happy with Barkely at 3. I think he's a good back but I don't think he's that far above Love, Michel, Guice that I would take him #3 overall. He was on a better passing team than those 3 other guys, but there were a couple games he struggled to do anything, most notably the Ohio State game. He looked completely lost that game running. With the way the NFL is now, I just don't value a RB THAT highly.

If our roster was in better shape or on the verge of being Championship caliber, I could possibly side with taking him, but until I see the trend where RB's are in the equation to the reason teams are winning Superbowls, the value just isn't there for me.

38 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I wouldn't be to happy with Barkely at 3. I think he's a good back but I don't think he's that far above Love, Michel, Guice that I would take him #3 overall. He was on a better passing team than those 3 other guys, but there were a couple games he struggled to do anything, most notably the Ohio State game. He looked completely lost that game running. With the way the NFL is now, I just don't value a RB THAT highly.

If our roster was in better shape or on the verge of being Championship caliber, I could possibly side with taking him, but until I see the trend where RB's are in the equation to the reason teams are winning Superbowls, the value just isn't there for me.

24 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

I tend to agree with you, he wasn't that impressive in that last bowl game. Besides the 92 yard run, he struggled pretty much the rest of way.  I think they should draft Chubb for the 3rd pick and trade up if needed to get a quality RB.

I think if the Colts can trade down and get a #1 this year and a #1 next year along with a #2 or #3 they would almost have to take that deal. I agree with BBs comment about if we had a competitive team in place then we could take Barkley as a luxury pick.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you read the small print above the listing at does say Bortles has to be on the roster on the first active day in 2018. His contract does not become guaranteed till that day. If the Jags do cut him before that day they are not taking any cap hit.

That is listed on the Over The Cap web site under contract notes.

Thanks, I get it now.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thanks, I get it now.

What that could boil down to is Bortles not only is playing this game for the Jags, he may be playing for his future in Jacksonville as well. If he sucks it up maybe he does get released?

Just another scenario,  would the Jags be looking to make a blockbuster trade for a QB if that does happen?

28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What that could boil down to is Bortles not only is playing this game for the Jags, he may be playing for his future in Jacksonville as well. If he sucks it up maybe he does get released?

Just another scenario,  would the Jags be looking to make a blockbuster trade for a QB if that does happen?

If they can just cut him, they may try to go for Cousins or Smith. Both are better than Bortles so that isn't good. I really don't understand Washington regarding Cousins because they have no other QB on that Roster that is any good. Cousins isn't Great but he's Good. KC, I think wants to give Mahomes a shot so that makes Smith expendable.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If they can just cut him, they may try to go for Cousins or Smith. Both are better than Bortles so that isn't good. I really don't understand Washington regarding Cousins because they have no other QB on that Roster that is any good. Cousins isn't Great but he's Good. KC, I think wants to give Mahomes a shot so that makes Smith expendable.

IMO Smith would fit pretty good in Jacksonville. He would have a cap hit of 3.6 million if KC cut him. Or maybe KC and Jax could work out a trade?

20 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why is most assuming that Barkley gets past the Giants?  Right now the Giants need a RB more than they need a QB.

Idk why it quoted you but this is just a general response to the thread:

Barkley and Fitzpatrick are IMO (as of right now) the only two players in the drfat worthy or a top 5 pick. 

Chubb is good but he's barely a top-10 player in any other draft. He has the benefit of being the best edge rusher in a class with no standout elite talent. Not to say he's a bad player or anything of course but picking as high as we are we need sure-fire (or as close as you can get) playmakers and only those two fit the bill imo

On 1/12/2018 at 1:45 AM, NewColtsFan said:

You may be right.     It might be Barkley to the Colts at #3.     But I think it's way, WAY too early for anyone to know....

And, among the reasons I think it WON'T be Barkley is that last year,  when we needed a quality back,   we waited until late in the 4th round to take Mack.      We could've taken one in the first, second or third rounds.     We didn't.    We could've taken one earlier in the 4th --- but we didn't.     And again,  it was a class of great backs.      We got one,  and most everyone seems happy with Mack.     But Ballard didn't move on a RB until the draft was more than half over.

And so now it's a year later and we have another great class of backs.    If not Barkley,  there are other top quality backs.      And we still have a boat-load of needs on both sides of the ball.      I just don't see Ballard taking a RB with the 3rd overall pick,  which won't help all the other needs nearly as much as addressing them.    Plus it rules out trading back which I personally think is our best option in this draft.    Trading back in the first round gets the Colts picks in the 2nd and/or 3rd round.     Maybe more.      But not if we pick at #3.

So I see Ballard taking a RB at the top of the 4th round and likely not before.    I think he addresses the OL and defense with picks in the first two days......

Just a different perspective....

Leonard Fournette and McCaffery were gone by the time we picked in the first round. And I think Cook’s off the field issues scared him away in the 2nd round. I don’t think he drafted a RB in the 4th because of some beliefs about positional value. I think he drafted a RB in the 4th because that’s how the board fell. He’ll go with the BPA at 3 regardless of if it’s Barkley or Chubb.

If we take Barkley, I am reminded of the greatest show on turf, where you had a franchise QB, a franchise RB and 2 number 1 receivers, and  a great slot receiver.  Grab one of the FA WRs in the offseason and we are there., especially if Josh McDaniels is orchestrating it. Now, I would really like an ER, but I can envision Barkley being special too.

4 hours ago, LockeDown said:

If we take Barkley, I am reminded of the greatest show on turf, where you had a franchise QB, a franchise RB and 2 number 1 receivers, and  a great slot receiver.  Grab one of the FA WRs in the offseason and we are there., especially if Josh McDaniels is orchestrating it. Now, I would really like an ER, but I can envision Barkley being special too.

One thing to keep in mind. The Rams had great play from their trenches. That is why they were called the greatest show on turf. The trenches for the Colts would not allow the 'stars' to shine.

On 1/11/2018 at 8:19 PM, BlueShoe said:

The only thing I am unsure of is IF we keep the pick. Depends on if a 3rd QB is in high enough demand. Maybe a team falls in love with Mason Rudolph, Josh Allen, or Baker Mayfield and makes us an offer we cannot refuse. 

Deep down, I think we are keeping the pick, and I think Barkley is already our guy. 

I think we need to prepare for a backfield with Andrew Luck and Saquon Barkley. Could be a lot of fun watching those two work together. 

Saquon Barkley Scouting Report

i hope he is there when we pick

5 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Back to the Star Wars offense Irsay has been begging for /s

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Fournette's  performance today reinforces Barclay's draft status.  If you don't need a QB and he's BPA and RB just happens to be a need it's pretty much a no brainer you take him if he's there.

That's true. On the other hand, McDaniels offense doesn't need a star RB. He's making it work well with Lewis and White. He'd do wonders with Mack.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Fournette's  performance today reinforces Barclay's draft status.  If you don't need a QB and he's BPA and RB just happens to be a need it's pretty much a no brainer you take him if he's there.

So his performance today wipes out his mediocre season?

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

While you were watching Fournette I was watching Jacksonville pass rush all year....so yeah...you can have your rb but I'm focused on building a pass rush and protecting Luck from Campbell and company.

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

While you were watching Fournette I was watching Jacksonville pass rush all year....so yeah...you can have your rb but I'm focused on building a pass rush and protecting Luck from Campbell and company.

I would love to build a D like they have.  I am happy with a RB in the mid rounds.  I want to have a top 10 D and let Luck do what he does with our offense.  Barkley looks like he will do well but I want an impact on D.  Jax looks really good and will be for the next few years.

I don't feel that even Ballard is set on who he's going to draft yet.  

You've got the Combine and Pro days still left to go plus there is no idea what's going to happen on draft day and what kind of trade offers you might get offered.  

Honestly one would be a fool to have already decided at this point.  

It's going to be a question what he rates higher.  Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, or whatever trade offers he gets on draft day.  

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't feel that even Ballard is set on who he's going to draft yet.  

You've got the Combine and Pro days still left to go plus there is no idea what's going to happen on draft day and what kind of trade offers you might get offered.  

Honestly one would be a fool to have already decided at this point.  

It's going to be a question what he rates higher.  Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, or whatever trade offers he gets on draft day.  

I think they're prepared for most situations, especially the most logical. 

Darnold and Rosen will go off the board quickly, and the Colts will have the rest of the field. 

Doesn't take even take a nights sleep at a Holiday Inn to figure this much out. :D 

You are correct, in that we still have the combine and Pro Days, and so on. However, when Barkley runs a 4.3 then it will only solidify his position.

I have been at this draft game for a very long time (over 30 years), and the first 3 picks have never been this clear, especially this early on. That said, trades can change things. It is possible that free agency makes a small impact. Even the bizarre is possible. Rosen could go out on an all-night bender, and do or say something stupid, and become the next YouTube celebrity. Aliens could break their silence and start communicating. Anything is possible. 

Barring something drastic, I do not see this changing:

1. Sam Darnold

2. Josh Rosen

3. Saquon Barkley

Mason Rudolph is the real dark horse. That cat is the real deal, and he might cause a fuss at #3. We will have to do a gut check, and ask if it's worth losing Barkley, to move down and gain a couple of extra picks. 

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

Exactly!!! People do not understand how much the margin of error goes up for a QB and lets him play loose when he doesn't have to worry about his D giving up a lead or giving him enough TOP. 

Brees would have had more playoff wins, if they only built a run game and a play making D consistently. He has had his share of weapons and play calling, and when the complete team arrives, it wouldn't matter if Luck scores 25 points every time or not. 

51 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Exactly!!! People do not understand how much the margin of error goes up for a QB and lets him play loose when he doesn't have to worry about his D giving up a lead or giving him enough TOP. 

Brees would have had more playoff wins, if they only built a run game and a play making D consistently. He has had his share of weapons and play calling, and when the complete team arrives, it wouldn't matter if Luck scores 25 points every time or not. 

Think how many hits Luck could have avoided by throwing it away rather than running for his life and trying to force things attempting to score 35 points per game.

I can see both sides of this debate. Is one over the other cut and dried and 100% correct?  No one knows. When the Colts are in need of so many positions IMO as long as whomever is taken can start and contribute to wins is all I care about.

Personally I think Ballard will be trading down. I say that because of all the positions needed.

The thing is Ballard is going to be the one who makes the choice and all this back and forth is not going to influence him one bit.

I know it's off season but threads like these are getting old and lame because it's been discussed inside out and over and over. I haven't a clue as to what could be added that hasn't been covered. The only thing that hasn't been said is will Ballard trade up?  :spit:

We need help on the O.Line obviously but drafting a guy like that along with a healthy Luck + a scheme like McDaniels lays out, can make a Line look better than what it is. We can still Draft O.Lineman in the mid rounds are get 1 in Free Agency too. My point is I would really hope people don't freak out if we take Barkley. He will be better than Elliott and Fournette. Watch and see. Mack would be one hell of a backup too, with his fresh legs and speed.

On 1/14/2018 at 4:53 AM, LockeDown said:

The Colts don't have two number one receivers and a great slot receiver. They have TY Hilton and there's everyone else.

5 hours ago, KING. said:

Wish our offense had someone like Julian Edelman a few years back to play in the slot for us.

Its easy to find an Edelman.  They are everywhere.  Welker, woodhead....they are everywhere.  They are tweeners.  BB just coaches them up.  Or McDaniel does.  Now, we should be able to do that too.  At least that's what we hope.