Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has it sunk in yet, that Saquon Barkley is the pick?

The only thing I am unsure of is IF we keep the pick. Depends on if a 3rd QB is in high enough demand. Maybe a team falls in love with Mason Rudolph, Josh Allen, or Baker Mayfield and makes us an offer we cannot refuse. 

Deep down, I think we are keeping the pick, and I think Barkley is already our guy. 

I think we need to prepare for a backfield with Andrew Luck and Saquon Barkley. Could be a lot of fun watching those two work together. 

Saquon Barkley Scouting Report

6 minutes ago, Gigc said:

I agree. Unless Bradley Chubb tests off the charts, I don't see how they could go in another direction. Almost everyone has Barkely as the best, or one of the two three players in the entire draft.

Agreed. Been mulling it over for a bit, and barring some bizarre event, I do not see how anyone could let Barkley slip past them. This isn't some product of the system back. He is the real deal. 

26 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Who is this Barkley kid?  Is he a generational talent?  Is he he a bell cow?  Is he one of those players you gotta take if he's there because..ya know, BPA?

Yes4X.  But let’s face it, an edge rusher can make more of a difference if you agree that the difference between Barkley and say Guice isn’t that much.  

I still want the Vette even though the Camaro would be fine.  

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why is most assuming that Barkley gets past the Giants?  Right now the Giants need a RB more than they need a QB.

Eli is most likely done. If you've watched him this year, it's pretty obvious. This is another great RB class, so the Giants don't have to take an RB early. It's all about position scarcity, and it's a lot harder to find a QB late than a RB. The majority of successful QB's in the NFL are in the first round, where RBs are found in every round to start. The Giants GM will likely know this and draft a QB in the 1st along with an RB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Eli is most likely done. If you've watched him this year, it's pretty obvious. This is another great RB class, so the Giants don't have to take an RB early. It's all about position scarcity, and it's a lot harder to find a QB late than a RB. The majority of successful QB's in the NFL are in the first round, where RBs are found in every round to start. The Giants GM will likely know this and draft a QB in the 1st along with an RB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Yes I understand that but Mara has already said publically he wanted Eli to be the starter next season.  Eli was missing his top two receivers and had no RB on the roster who would have even made another teams roster.

Eli threw for 434 yards and 3 TDs against the Eagles so IMO he still has some left in the tank.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes I understand that but Mara has already said publically he wanted Eli to be the starter next season.  Eli was missing his top two receivers and had no RB on the roster who would have even made another teams roster.

Eli threw for 434 yards and 3 TDs against the Eagles so IMO he still has some left in the tank.

That's true that Mara said that, but I don't believe he's telling the truth when he says that. When you have the no2 pick in a pretty solid QB class, and Eli is on the decline, you have to draft his replacement. You can't pick and choose when you have a top pick unless you are the Browns. They either draft a QB at 2 to backup Eli for a year, or to completely replace him IMO. I just don't see any other scenario. Eli was missing receivers, but the INTs are definitely a concern now.

I hope they do take Barkley 2nd overall tbh. That'd either help us get a trade down with someone else (most likely the Jets), or take someone like Bradley Chubb at 3 and get the best defensive player in the draft. Then we could take an RB in rounds 2-3. Your scenario with the Giants would the best case scenario for the Colts. Rooting for it to happen.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's true that Mara said that, but I don't believe he's telling the truth when he says that. When you have the no2 pick in a pretty solid QB class, and Eli is on the decline, you have to draft his replacement. You can't pick and choose when you have a top pick unless you are the Browns. They either draft a QB at 2 to backup Eli for a year, or to completely replace him IMO. I just don't see any other scenario. Eli was missing receivers, but the INTs are definitely a concern now.

I hope they do take Barkley 2nd overall tbh. That'd either help us get a trade down with someone else (most likely the Jets), or take someone like Bradley Chubb at 3 and get the best defensive player in the draft. Then we could take an RB in rounds 2-3. Your scenario with the Giants would the best case scenario for the Colts. Rooting for it to happen.

It wouldn't surprise me for the Browns to take him at #1 and then pick up 1 of the top 2 QBs at #4.  They have to figure the Colts are not taking a QB.

1 minute ago, Luck 4 president said:

They’d get the 3rd QB in that scenario. There’s no way we don’t trade back with a team desperate for a QB. 

Could be, who knows?  Very rarely does the draft go down as expected. There are so many different ways this draft could go it's mind boggling.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How you been doing my friend? I am not sure who we take at #3. Its a crapshoot at this point.

I had a 3 month hospital visit, lol. Mini-strokes, heart surgery, some minor eye damage. You know, your typical hospital visit, lol.  

I don't know who we take, it's just every year there's these RBs  that are always at the top of the class and then these website film guys start talking to real scouts and experts and it shakes everything up, and we aren't even getting into team needs and draft day trades.  RBs are usually the one position that gets left out of the top of the first except for last year's exceptional class.

Barkley could go that soon, but I'm getting against it since the odds are generally in favor of that scenario.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I had a 3 month hospital visit, lol. Mini-strokes, heart surgery, some minor eye damage. You know, your typical hospital visit, lol.  

I don't know who we take, it's just every year there's these RBs  that are always at the top of the class and then these website film guys start talking to real scouts and experts and it shakes everything up, and we aren't even getting into team needs and draft day trades.  RBs are usually the one position that gets left out of the top of the first except for last year's exceptional class.

Barkley could go that soon, but I'm getting against it since the odds are generally in favor of that scenario.

Man are you doing well now. That is awful! Your sense of humor about it is funny but damn that is bad. I have been thinking about where you have been lately because you haven't been Posting. Get well brother.

1 hour ago, KB said:

If we do get Barkley then I hope we grab some of these lineman like Will Hernandez G UTEP, Billy Price C Ohio State, or Isaiah Wynn G/T Georgia. Even if we get a Guard in FA.

Agreed. I think if Ballard adds some serious talent to the OL in free agency that will tell me more on if he is thinking of selecting Barkley with the 3rd pick. If he feels like he has an improved OL after FA, he can afford to draft a stud RB to run behind it and take a ton of pressure off of Luck. But I would like to add a young talent on the OL via the draft too. Someone like Hernandez or Braden Smith in rounds 2/3.

I think the offense needs a shot in the arm to bring it back to a top 10 offense, and Barkley could definitely do that with an improved OL. So getting Barkley or Nelson after a trade down would drastically help to making the offense potentially elite again.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Man are you doing well now. That is awful! Your sense of humor about it is funny but damn that is bad. I have been thinking about where you have been lately because you haven't been Posting. Get well brother.

A sense of humor about it helps diminish any permanent effects from it. I'm technically brain damaged, but didn't lose much if anything cognitively, so I always have an excuse for the wife if I agree something up...its great! Lol.

No bro, I dodged a million bullets by the grace of God and as far as I can tell, I'm still the same dude.

5 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

A sense of humor about it helps diminish any permanent effects from it. I'm technically brain damaged, but didn't lose much if anything cognitively, so I always have an excuse for the wife if I agree something up...its great! Lol.

No bro, I dodged a million bullets by the grace of God and as far as I can tell, I'm still the same dude.

See what a 4-12 season + the negativity by the media surrounding the Colts can do to a person haha. In all seriousness glad you will be ok. Glad you are back. It's going to be the most interesting offseason ever here. The Luck health updates, who will the Coach be, the Draft, etc..

32 minutes ago, KING. said:

People will complain about the value of picking an RB that high in the draft is a foolish decision.

Those same people will be all in on Barley a few games into the season when he's tearing up the league.

If Barkley is available at 3, you can't pass him up.

Of course most everyone will root for him if he becomes a Colt. That doesn't mean they liked the pick or believe it was the best decision. I don't believe that Barkley(or Nelson) is the right choice at #3, but I would root for whoever they pick once they are a Colt.

6 minutes ago, esmort said:

Of course most everyone will root for him if he becomes a Colt. That doesn't mean they liked the pick or believe it was the best decision. I don't believe that Barkley(or Nelson) is the right choice at #3, but I would root for whoever they pick once they are a Colt.

No matter who is picked there will be a bunch of threads over it. If we trade down the same thing. 

It's human nature to root for whomever they pick because of being a Colts fan but no answers will be known till half way through the season and maybe longer depending who is taken.

All I know is no matter who is taken our biggest need is still in the offensive trenches.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

No matter who is picked there will be a bunch of threads over it. If we trade down the same thing. 

It's human nature to root for whomever they pick because of being a Colts fan but no answers will be known till half way through the season and maybe longer depending who is taken.

All I know is no matter who is taken our biggest need is still in the offensive trenches.

Right now I think the move that would have the most people behind it(the fewest complaint posts/threads) is trading back and still getting Nelson (of course there is still a group of "Barkley at all costs" people who would complain) . Although that can easily change depending on who rises up the boards and how the draft unfolds.

Jags will keep Bortles at least 1 more year. He is owed 19,053,000 in the 2018 season, then he is a Free Agent after the 2018 Season. No way the Jags take that Cap hit. I can see them not re-signing him in 2019 and rolling with a different QB but to take a 19,053,000 cap hit is highly unlikely. They just won the Division as well and a Playoff game, they will roll with him 1 more year IMO.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jags will keep Bortles at least 1 more year. He is owed 19,053,000 in the 2018 season, then he is a Free Agent after the 2018 Season. No way the Jags take that Cap hit. I can see them not re-signing him in 2019 and rolling with a different QB but to take a 19,053,000 cap hit is highly unlikely. They just won the Division as well and a Playoff game, they will roll with him 1 more year IMO.

From what I understand if he is cut before the first day of the 2018 season there would be no cap hit. I could be reading it wrong but I don't think so.

He is only guaranteed the 19 million if he is still on the roster the 1st day of season 2018.

You may be right.     It might be Barkley to the Colts at #3.     But I think it's way, WAY too early for anyone to know....

And, among the reasons I think it WON'T be Barkley is that last year,  when we needed a quality back,   we waited until late in the 4th round to take Mack.      We could've taken one in the first, second or third rounds.     We didn't.    We could've taken one earlier in the 4th --- but we didn't.     And again,  it was a class of great backs.      We got one,  and most everyone seems happy with Mack.     But Ballard didn't move on a RB until the draft was more than half over.

And so now it's a year later and we have another great class of backs.    If not Barkley,  there are other top quality backs.      And we still have a boat-load of needs on both sides of the ball.      I just don't see Ballard taking a RB with the 3rd overall pick,  which won't help all the other needs nearly as much as addressing them.    Plus it rules out trading back which I personally think is our best option in this draft.    Trading back in the first round gets the Colts picks in the 2nd and/or 3rd round.     Maybe more.      But not if we pick at #3.

So I see Ballard taking a RB at the top of the 4th round and likely not before.    I think he addresses the OL and defense with picks in the first two days......

Just a different perspective....

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Jags can cut him before the new league year and avoid any cap hit. Which I think they do unless Bortles plays lights out in the next game. I don't expect them to win, but he needs to show something, or at the very least not be the reason they lost.  If he plays badly I can definitely see them getting somebody like Cousins, A. Smith, etc ...  They are are ready to win now I can seem making a move sooner rather than later.

6 minutes ago, esmort said:

The Jags can cut him before the new league year and avoid any cap hit. Which I think they do unless Bortles plays lights out in the next game. I don't expect them to win, but he needs to show something, or at the very least not be the reason they lost.  If he plays badly I can definitely see them getting somebody like Cousins, A. Smith, etc ...  They are are ready to win now I can seem making a move sooner rather than later.

You may be right. Bortles not only be playing for the Jags to get a win he more than likely will be playing for his job with the Jags too.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You may be right.     It might be Barkley to the Colts at #3.     But I think it's way, WAY too early for anyone to know....

And, among the reasons I think it WON'T be Barkley is that last year,  when we needed a quality back,   we waited until late in the 4th round to take Mack.      We could've taken one in the first, second or third rounds.     We didn't.    We could've taken one earlier in the 4th --- but we didn't.     And again,  it was a class of great backs.      We got one,  and most everyone seems happy with Mack.     But Ballard didn't move on a RB until the draft was more than half over.

And so now it's a year later and we have another great class of backs.    If not Barkley,  there are other top quality backs.      And we still have a boat-load of needs on both sides of the ball.      I just don't see Ballard taking a RB with the 3rd overall pick,  which won't help all the other needs nearly as much as addressing them.    Plus it rules out trading back which I personally think is our best option in this draft.    Trading back in the first round gets the Colts picks in the 2nd and/or 3rd round.     Maybe more.      But not if we pick at #3.

So I see Ballard taking a RB at the top of the 4th round and likely not before.    I think he addresses the OL and defense with picks in the first two days......

Just a different perspective....

I think that 3rd overall pick will have a good value to it for any team wanting a franchise QB or generational talent at RB. We should get good offers for the pick if Ballard plays his cards right. I'd prefer getting some panacky team to trade up for our pick and getting a good haul in return and still ending up with a Quenton Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Roquan Smith, or B. Chubb round 1.