Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Minkah Fitzpatrick, S or CB?

He’s listed as a safety but people know him for his man to man. What did he do in college/ how was he used? Just want some light on this situation, I don’t really know who he is. We really don’t need another safety, but if he has lockdown man skills he is an option if we trade back because Barkley was taken. 

If he came here what would he play?

15 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

He’s listed as a safety but people know him for his man to man. What did he do in college/ how was he used? Just want some light on this situation, I don’t really know who he is. We really don’t need another safety, but if he has lockdown man skills he is an option if we trade back because Barkley was taken. 

I've heard him compared to Charles Woodson before, and I fully believe he could play CB in the NFL, and play it very well. I would be completely on board with trading down and still getting Fitzpatrick if Ballard believes he can play CB at a high level as well! This secondary would be elite with having 2 studs in Fitzpatrick and Hooker, and better than average players in Melvin, Wilson, and Geathers. 

He is seen as a Safety for the NFL.  He has the ability to be used as a CB if need be assuming he gains skills but he is also able to come down and cover RB's or TE's and help sure up the center of the field.  Scouts see him as a safety which is why he is listed as that.

On 1/10/2018 at 11:46 AM, Dark Superman said:

Could you imagine if Grigson wasn't an * and drafted Landon Collins?

Hooker, Collins and Fitzpatrick could all be representing the Shoe in 2018.

Nuts.

Xavier Rhodes instead of Björn too... it seems like some decent DBs have been available during Grigson’s tenure. I know Landon was always mocked to us but I was super high on Floyd and Rhodes in 2013. I thought Minnesota killed it.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:11 AM, BProland85 said:

I've heard him compared to Charles Woodson before, and I fully believe he could play CB in the NFL, and play it very well. I would be completely on board with trading down and still getting Fitzpatrick if Ballard believes he can play CB at a high level as well! This secondary would be elite with having 2 studs in Fitzpatrick and Hooker, and better than average players in Melvin, Wilson, and Geathers. 

I think he could play both.

On 1/10/2018 at 11:11 AM, BProland85 said:

What makes you believe we have better than average secondary? Btw, I believe Fairley is our best secondary player.

On 1/10/2018 at 10:54 AM, ColtsBlitz said:

He played corner at Alabama, but most analysts that I have seen have him playing safety in the NFL.

Fitz is a great prospect,  but he seems a sure bet to play one spot or the other (maybe both) at a very high level.

So, the chances that he flames out seem small.

But I'm with the crowd in this thread....    if we love him,  and draft him,  lets at least look at him to play corner first....   and if he's not quite all that then we can move him to safety opposite Hooker.      Not sure Minka could play the strong safety like Geathers...      might be more the free safety that Hooker is...     but that would be part of the evaluation process....     Pagano liked safeties who were interchangeable if need be....    just saying...

I wouldn't mind him at 3. Getting him in a trade back would be brilliant though. Hooker, Fitzpatrick, Wilson, Hairston, Farley, Geathers and maybe another late corner would be a great infusion of young talent for a secondary that at one point in 2016 was employing guys like a broken Antonio Cromartie. With right coaching and a few more talented pieces (and some dang health) the Indy secondary could maybe become a top flight unit. Fingers crossed. 

IMO people put Fitzpatrick at safety simply because he played safety this year because Alabama needed him to plug holes and they had better substitutions at corner than at S. Last year I've watched him play corner and he was amazing there too. You can go back in last year's threads and you would see me mention him several times as a premier corner prospect. I don't think anything has changed with that part of my evaluation. If anything, he's improved his stock this year by showing he has hell of a versatility and ability to play all around the defensive back slots. Fitzpatrick is a special football player.