Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OC and DC?

IndyScribe

Unsurprisingly, the HC job search has been the most talked about. The OC and DC aren't as talked about. Who would you want as OC and DC? For OC, it'd be interesting if Toub came, but someone like Jim Bob Cooter or DeFilippo would be nice. Del Rio as DC. If McDaniels is the head coach, it'd be interesting to see what DC he brings in.

10 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Unsurprisingly, the HC job search has been the most talked about. The OC and DC aren't as talked about. Who would you want as OC and DC? For OC, it'd be interesting if Toub came, but someone like Jim Bob Cooter or DeFilippo would be nice. If McDaniels is the head coach, it'd be interesting to see what DC he brings in.

The only time Toub has coached anything other than special teams was from 1998 to 2000.  He was the defensive line coach for the University of Missouri.  What could possibly make you want to bring him here to design and run the offense?

1 minute ago, J@son said:

The only time Toub has coached anything other than special teams was from 1998 to 2000.  He was the defensive line coach for the University of Missouri.  What could possibly make you want to bring him here to design and run the offense?

McDaniels would still implement his offense. I'm not saying I want him, I'm saying it'd be interesting. People want Toub at HC, too. 

Just now, IndyScribe said:

McDaniels would still implement his offense. I'm not saying I want him, I'm saying it'd be interesting. People want Toub at HC, too. 

My point is there is absolutely nothing on his resume that suggests he could be an OC.  People are only wanting him here because of the rumor that surfaced (and was unsubstantiated) back when Ballard was interviewing for the GM position.  

Just now, J@son said:

My point is there is absolutely nothing on his resume that suggests he could be an OC.  People are only wanting him here because of the rumor that surfaced (and was unsubstantiated) back when Ballard was interviewing for the GM position.  

I think people want him for more. Sure, the connection helps, but there's also much more to it. Many STs coaches have gone on and succeeded as head coaches and Toub's ST are consistently top 10, if not top 5. 

23 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Depends on the Head Coach.

This right here.. OC and DC who have similar philosophy and fit what the new HC wants to do. As simple as that. Let's not go full Jerry Jones and decide coordinators before we have HC in place.

Can we get Wade Phillips in here yesterday please. The guy gets almost every D to a respectable level pretty quickly. He seems to bounce around teams so Mr.Ballard get him here for a couple years please.

I'm not looking for top 5, give us top 15 and I'm good.

1 minute ago, IndyScribe said:

I think people want him for more. Sure, the connection helps, but there's also much more to it. Many STs coaches have gone on and succeeded as head coaches and Toub's ST are consistently top 10, if not top 5. 

How many of them have gone directly from ST coordinator to HC?  The only one I'm aware of is Jim Harbaugh.  Most are either DC or OC for a few years before then making the jump to HC.

11 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

Keep your eye on Mike McCoy as well.  He was McDaniels OC first go around.

That would also be an option.  Normally when a coach brings his system they bring in someone who is already familiar with it to run it. They tend to be more open regarding the other coordinator spot.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

That would also be an option.  Normally when a coach brings his system they bring in someone who is already familiar with it to run it. They tend to be more open regarding the other coordinator spot.

What, McCoy was actually Josh's selection once already.  McCoy runs the EP just like McDaniels.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

That’s why I said that would also be an option.

Sorry, read your reply a little differently.  Brian Daboll from Alabama might be an option as well, I think I read that he and Josh are really good friends.  He worked with Josh for several years with the Pats.

48 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Mike McCoy as OC and Mike Vrabel as DC / Assistant HC (since he'd have to have a 'promotion')

That's a real possibility. Mike McCoy was McDaniels OC when he was in Denver so he will know the concepts etc. Vrabel coming from the Belicheck tree is possible....along with McDaniels ex-DC in Denver Don Martindale who is the current LB coach for Baltimore and obviously would be familiar with our current schemes under Pagano. Those transitions wouldn't be too extreme and seem completely reasonable. We could hopefully retain Brian Schottenheimer as our qb coach.

1 hour ago, IndyScribe said:

Unsurprisingly, the HC job search has been the most talked about. The OC and DC aren't as talked about. Who would you want as OC and DC? For OC, it'd be interesting if Toub came, but someone like Jim Bob Cooter or DeFilippo would be nice. Del Rio as DC. If McDaniels is the head coach, it'd be interesting to see what DC he brings in.

I'm actually seeing Twitter rumblings/rumors of McDaniels HC / Cooter OC. With Patricia pretty much being penciled in with Detroit, the assumption is that he'll gut that staff in favor of his own guys, meaning Cooter would be available, even for that type of lateral move. Considering that some of the Lions staff is already being hired elsewhere, it's not as far-fetched as it seems. Obviously it's all speculation at this point, but worth keeping an eye on.

8 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

Sorry, read your reply a little differently.  Brian Daboll from Alabama might be an option as well, I think I read that he and Josh are really good friends.  He worked with Josh for several years with the Pats.

Again another option.  I probably should have said look for someone to brought in as OC that has experience with his system if Josh gets the job.

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm actually seeing Twitter rumblings/rumors of McDaniels HC / Cooter OC. With Patricia pretty much being penciled in with Detroit, the assumption is that he'll gut that staff in favor of his own guys, meaning Cooter would be available, even for that type of lateral move. Considering that some of the Lions staff is already being hired elsewhere, it's not as far-fetched as it seems. Obviously it's all speculation at this point, but worth keeping an eye on.

Interesting combo

20 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yeah, and again, I'm just sharing stuff that catches my eye. I don't think we're going to hear anything concrete for awhile.

Right.  For once things seem to be locked down at the complex... no leakage.  And thats okay.  

I am sure if Ballard wanted Nagy he would have been announced today (or pretty soon) as our coach....  and out of respect he told him to go do his thing with the Bears... or it could have been the other way around too in that Nagy said he didn't want to jeopardize his first go at head coach without solid information regarding Andrew Luck.  Either way I am guessing it was an amicable situation.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Mike McCoy as OC and Mike Vrabel as DC / Assistant HC (since he'd have to have a 'promotion')

All coaches not the head coach are considered Assistant coaches and all on the same tier.  Per nfl rules. Therefore your proposal would not be a promotion as the only promotion available is for HC

25 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Why Al Holcomb?

Probably because he has assumingly played a significant role in Carolinas success having a fairly consistent defense & working/coaching under Wilks who will likely land a HC spot somewhere. Holcomb has helped coach Kuechly & Davis up into one of the better LB duos in the league...

1 hour ago, J@son said:

I'm sure he has someone in mind for both, especially OC.  For DC I'd at least bring Ray Horton in for an interview.  I like the idea of Mike Pettine too.

Looks like Green Bay has their eye on Pettine too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/08/mike-pettine-will-interview-for-packers-defensive-coordinator-job/

20 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Probably because he has assumingly played a significant role in Carolinas success having a fairly consistent defense & working/coaching under Wilks who will likely land a HC spot somewhere. Holcomb has helped coach Kuechly & Davis up into one of the better LB duos in the league...

Ok, but not sure why one would be "all in" on a guy who sounds like Ted monachino 2 rather than a proven D.C.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

All coaches not the head coach are considered Assistant coaches and all on the same tier.  Per nfl rules. Therefore your proposal would not be a promotion as the only promotion available is for HC

I do believe that adding Assistant Head Coach as part of a Coordinators title is, in fact, a promotion in the NFL's eyes.

3 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I do believe that adding Assistant Head Coach as part of a Coordinators title is, in fact, a promotion in the NFL's eyes.

Nope. A coach is either the head coach or an assistant with whatever label they want to place on it.