Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quincy Wilson tops PFF grades for Colts rookie class

Steamboat_Shaun

Yeah, that secondary could become something special. Geathers/Hooker at safety with Farley as a backup. Wilson/Hairston at corner with Desir and Moore backing them up. Hooker and Wilson will only get better. I want to see what a full season of Wilson and Hooker are like.

9 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Yeah, that secondary could become something special. Geathers/Hooker at safety with Farley as a backup. Wilson/Hairston at corner with Desir and Moore backing them up. Hooker and Wilson will only get back. I want to see what a full season of Wilson and Hooker are like.

With a competent pass rush & some better ILBs, they could be a pretty formidable secondary for years to come. It's going to be fun coming up with a nickname for the unit.

1 minute ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

No he he needs to learn special teams I think another year sitting in the bench can do wonders for this kid. (Sarcasm) :rock:

He just turned 21, so theoretically we could bench him for the next 5 years, then plug him in right as he's hitting his prime, assuming he finally gets that special teams experience that he's been lacking.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He just turned 21, so theoretically we could bench him for the next 5 years, then plug him in right as he's hitting his prime, assuming he finally gets that special teams experience that he's been lacking.

We joke, but he was benched for a reason and I'm guessing immaturity.  He came to camp not exactly in great shape.

He may have gotten away with that at Florida, just relying on his talent.  Hopefully we get a coach who can impress on him how important every aspect of the game is, from training, studying, conditioning, etc.  He has all the physical tools to be a great one.

Wilson, Desir, Hairston, Moore, and even White.  Even if they don't re-sign Melvin, that's a strong crew.

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

We joke, but he was benched for a reason and I'm guessing immaturity.  He came to camp not exactly in great shape.

He may have gotten away with that at Florida, just relying on his talent.  Hopefully we get a coach who can impress on him how important every aspect of the game is, from training, studying, conditioning, etc.  He has all the physical tools to be a great one.

Wilson, Desir, Hairston, Moore, and even White.  Even if they don't re-sign Melvin, that's a strong crew.

I have to joke, I can't imagine watching that team play this past season without a sense of humor.

32 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

This secondary could be something special in the making...

Melvin, Wilson, Desir, Hairston and Moore.     That's a nice group to start with assuming we re-sign our guys.

Now add a free agent or Day 2 draft pick and you really have something.

22 minutes ago, RealityIsLuck said:

I wanna see us bring back Melvin on a 2-3 year deal then sign a big ish name like E.J. Gaines, Malcolm Butler or Kyle Fuller. 

A pairing of Gaines, Melvin and Wilson with Desir, Hairston and Moore for depth could be special. 

I'd be up for signing Gaines. I'd be hesitant on re-signing Melvin. He's late in his career and balled out in a contract year with no history of this sort of play. If he wants too much, it wouldn't be surprising if he's gone, as long as a backup is in place.

8 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I'd be up for signing Gaines. I'd be hesitant on re-signing Melvin. He's late in his career and balled out in a contract year with no history of this sort of play. If he wants too much, it wouldn't be surprising if he's gone, as long as a backup is in place.

Agreed, I'd go into the negotiations cautiously. 

Something in the 6-8 Mill range on a 2-3 year deal is about as high as I'd go. (2/16 or 3/18)

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

With a competent pass rush & some better ILBs, they could be a pretty formidable secondary for years to come. It's going to be fun coming up with a nickname for the unit.

We are a 4-12 team and people are concerned with coming up with nicknames for our pass defense that ranked 28th out of 32 teams. Glad to see some see the glass as half full lol. Or are we considering call them the Delta unit....welcome to the friendly skies??? :lol:

Actually that was United Airlines...but you catch my drift.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We are a 4-12 team and people are concerned with coming up with nicknames for our pass defense that ranked 28th out of 32 teams. Glad to see some see the glass as half full lol. Or are we considering call them the Delta unit....welcome to the friendly skies??? :lol:

Actually that was United Airlines...but you catch my drift.

Like I said in another, if you can't have a sense of humor after this past season, I don't know what to tell you.

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Like I said in another, if you can't have a sense of humor after this past season, I don't know what to tell you.

I had a rofl icon in there... heck I even offered up my own...what more sense of humor could I have lol. It’s all good....but nicknames for our patriot air defense system?? Nah lol...I’m not going that far just yet.

Wilson did great his first couple of games. After the "benching" or whatever, he did alright, just not as well as he was doing.

Kenny Moore has to be the most improved player of 2017. 

He literally went from screwing up special teams to pretty decent DB. 

Kudos dude! 

Gotta re-sign Melvin and Desir btw. 

15 hours ago, Buddy Lee said:

I agree. If Moore and Antonio Morrison make the 53 next year, Ballard didn't do enough to upgrade the team.

Need to remember Moore has just finished his first year as an UDFA. 

Can't claim to have been watching him very closely but, if Ballard likes him enough to retain him and he is showing up well compared to others in PFF metrics etc then I am more than happy for him to come back.

We are well stocked at CB now as OP suggests and so why wouldn't we keep him to develop him further, he will be very cheap also.

Remembering how Geathers was able to move around in 2016 makes me very excited for this group. Farley came in a played great this year and that will allow us to move Geathers into the box and at the Nickel/Dime LB position like he was used so much in 2016. Add in a legit playmaker and ball hawk in Hooker at FS and this COULD be the best group of safeties we've had since Bob Sanders and Bethea were in their primes. Not saying they are there yet, however, they have some legit upside to get there. Hooker needs to come back healthy and stay that way and Geather's neck needs to hold up. Add in a somewhat promising group of CBs and we have the makings of a good defense is healthy. My biggest concern is the LB position at this point (outside of Pass rush obviously). We had backup TEs looking like All Pros against our ILB group. Being able to bring Geathers down will help, but we need a true sideline to sideline player at ILB that can cover. A lot of potential there, hopefully a new coaching staff can help it come to fruition. 

On 2018. 01. 08. at 10:44 PM, Smonroe said:

Camp? He had hip surgery in the offseason, and started the camp on PUP. So he had a reason to be not in shape :)

I think it happened during the season, and was indeed about immaturity, but not related to physical shape. (I assume he might have been late from meetings or something like that.)

On 1/9/2018 at 10:44 AM, jshipp23 said:

Wilson is gonna be very good, his length and press man ability reminds me of Antonio Cromartie...

Cro is a very lofty comparison. I don't think Wilson has that type of athleticism or ball skills.

I think Wilson is more like a Sean Smith type CB...but not quite as tall. And I would be ecstatic if he ended up as good.