Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who are you taking at #3 overall?

Should these players be there at the #3 overall...  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you take?

• Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
    • Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia
    • Quentin Nelson, OG, Notre Dame

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barkley. Smith isn't worth the #3 pick(no ILB is). Guard doesn't have a high value and wouldn't be worth it at 3. It would be better to trade down and pick up Nelson. Barkley is a generational talent and would be a difference maker on offense. Teams have to gameplan for Luck and Barkley instead of just Luck.

My vote is Quentin Nelson. It’s time we solidified this offensive line. Luck could very well return next year and the Colts need to protect him. We could trade back, but I’m not sure of other teams draft needs and how far they are willing to go to get a stud at that position. 

I’d love Barkley at 3, and he is the best player available at 3 regardless. However, I like what I see out of Mack and Nelson is at a position of need and a very good impact player. The best linemen are the likes of Alex Mack (center from Atlanta) who, in any situation, try to help their running back by pushing them extra yards, and blocking through the play. Nelson definitely blocks through the play, never letting his man get away. There was a play in the USC game where, on a pass, he went from the left guard spot to the right to pick up an overload blitz meant to occupy the RB with a man and have a free rusher. Prevented a sack and showed his awareness as a pass blocker, and obviously a mauler lineman in run blocking. 

14 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

Look, why is Chubb not there? Roquan Smith isn't even seen as a top 3 pick so why is he in the poll? If I had to pick one of the three I would pick Barkley but I don't really want him that much...

I can add him, but Barkley is seen as better and all three are at different positions and apply to a hole we have, conveniently enough. Smith may not be worthy of a top 10, but he’s still a pretty good MLB

I'm taking Barkley at 3 if those are my opinions. 

If Barkley goes at 1 or 2, there will be more value to our pick as Darnold/Rosen will still be available. I'd look to trade down. 

I'd be okay with any of:

- Saqoun/Chubb at 3 

- Nelson/Fitzpatrick/Key/Chubb or Barkley if trade down 2-4 spots

- Nelson/Fitzpatrick/Key/Chubb/Barkley/Smith/Ward/Jackson if we trade to the 8-11 range

37 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Barkley. Smith isn't worth the #3 pick(no ILB is). Guard doesn't have a high value and wouldn't be worth it at 3. It would be better to trade down and pick up Nelson. Barkley is a generational talent and would be a difference maker on offense. Teams have to gameplan for Luck and Barkley instead of just Luck.

Barkley and Chubb maybe nelson as high as three but smith no.

59 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I want some discussion reguarding actually taking someone at #3. Trading back draft day is a possibility, but let’s assume we don’t. When you answer, I encourage you to say why. Thanks!

Barkley is the best talent out of those selections. Simply put, he's the best RB to come out of the draft since Adrian Peterson. You don't pass on that for a really good ILB or pro bowl OG. 

Not sure why you guys who make these polls don't add Minkah Fitzpatrick to the selection choice. He'd be my #1 option if they can't trade down if Ballard fully believes he can play as the #1 shutdown corner. 

19 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Barkley and Chubb maybe nelson as high as three but smith no.

Yeah, I'd prefer Barkley or Chubb.

21 minutes ago, stitches said:

Still Chubb or Fitzpatrick. You picked the 3 positions with the lowest positional value. If only those are available I probably take... Nelson. I see him as a can't miss prospect. He will be perennial pro-bowler/all pro. 

I think Fitzpatrick is an underrated name that doesn't get brought up a lot. I wouldn't mind him at 3. Nelson shouldn't be taken at 3 either.

1 minute ago, IndyScribe said:

Yeah, I'd prefer Barkley or Chubb.

I think Fitzpatrick is an underrated name that doesn't get brought up a lot. I wouldn't mind him at 3. Nelson shouldn't be taken at 3 either.

Right now I like Fitzpatrick best out of all options. That is pending Chubb's combine. If Chubb tests well, I will switch to him... 

My first goal would be to move back. 

If I can stay in the top 10 then I would select Mike McGlinchey. or Quenton Nelson. I have not made my mind up yet between those two.

If we stay at #3 then:

Barkley is an interesting prospect, and Jim Irsay is right about getting Andrew Luck an Edgerrin James type of back. This is probably the only chance we will have to draft a caliber back like this. I would not be upset.

We need a pass rush so Chubb is also another good choice. 

Both Fitz and James are dynamite players, but I would rather move back and see who falls. 

If we don't take Barkley in the first then I hope we take a hard look at Ronald Jones (should he happen to be there) early in the second. 

http://footballdungeon.com/2017/04/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings/

Rank Player * College HT WT

CBEDGEFBILBINT-DLINT-OLKNICKELOTPQBRBSTEWR

1 Sam Darnold QB USC 6'4" 225
2 Josh Rosen QB UCLA 6'3" 210
3 Saquon Barkley RB Penn State 5'11" 223
4 Bradley Chubb EDGE NC State 6'3" 273
5 Minkah Fitzpatrick S Alabama 6'0" 203
6 Derwin James S Florida State 6'2" 213
7 Arden Key EDGE LSU 6'5" 232
8 Roquan Smith ILB Georgia 6'1" 225
9 Quenton Nelson INT-OL Notre Dame 6'5" 325
10 Christian Wilkins INT-DL Clemson 6'3" 310
11 Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame 6'7" 310
12 Denzel Ward NICKEL Ohio State 5'10" 185
13 Calvin Ridley WR Alabama 6'1" 188
14 Connor Williams OT Texas 6'5" 290
15 Mason Rudolph QB Oklahoma State 6'4" 235
16 Derrius Guice RB LSU 5'11" 222
17 Vita Vea INT-DL Washington 6'4" 332
18 Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma 6'0" 210
19 Orlando Brown OT Oklahoma 6'7" 340
20 Josh Allen QB Wyoming 6'5" 230
21 Joshua Jackson CB Iowa 6'0" 170
22 Harold Landry EDGE Boston College 6'2" 250
23 Maurice Hurst INT-DL Michigan 6'2" 282
24 Courtland Sutton WR SMU 6'3" 215
25 Ronald Jones RB USC 6'0" 195

I'm trading back....   just a little..  1-3 slots...    and depending on who is there and what I want, I'd love to trade back a SECOND time...   again a few slots and still be in the top-10 and then make our pick.

I think two small trades could yield big, BIG results!    

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm trading back....   just a little..  1-3 slots...    and depending on who is there and what I want, I'd love to trade back a SECOND time...   again a few slots and still be in the top-10 and then make our pick.

Man ideal situation is Browns trading us to make sure they get Barkley.  Then we trade again with the Jets so they can make sure to get the 3rd QB off the board.  We could have like 4 -  2nd round picks all at the top and then move back into the top of the first if need be.  That would be awesome!

13 hours ago, ND Irish said:

Trade back a few and get Nelson, trade again and get Smith. I think some will change their minds a bit on him after the game tonight. Im getting a chubb just thinking of the possibilities. Also calling Barstool in the am, because ive found my calling.:D

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you guys both missed the IP where he said assume you can’t trade down.

26 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think you guys both missed the IP where he said assume you can’t trade down.

The OP didn't say "can't" he said "don't"...

I see those two as somewhat different.

I didn't like the three options and explained my thinking for doing what I did.

Nelson- we immediately have fewer sacks/pressures up the middle, better ability to run the ball, we are a better football team

Barkley- like Mack, but 2 levels higher, they are very similar to me, almost too similar. But he gives us the big play threat every play.  If Luck plays like Luck, Hilton returns to form, we would have a potent triplets on our hands

Smith- NO Big GA fan (crushed at our stupid loss last night), but Smith isn't worth the #3 pick in any scenario

Of the three listed by the OP, My pick- Nelson   Time we had a solid OL with some real top level talent rather than marginal talent and retreads 

Others: Orlando Brown,  Chubb and like other posters have said Fitzpatrick should be a consideration at #3. 

On 1/8/2018 at 2:43 PM, DraftMaster said:

Look, why is Chubb not there? Roquan Smith isn't even seen as a top 3 pick so why is he in the poll? If I had to pick one of the three I would pick Barkley but I don't really want him that much...

Why would Chubb be there?  At #3 or higher is absolutely insane.  He's not the same player he was pre-injury.

21 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Barkley for sure.  Move up again by trading possible 2019 first round to nab an edge like Chubb or Key.  

Think I read last year Ballard loves alot of picks, so as much of a good idea as that is. Prolly won't happen.

not sure who will be available but I'll give my options in no particular order:

Barkley---offensive options with a (hopefully) healthy Luck could be a defensive nightmare

Fitzpatrick---warming up to him at 3...not much he can't do and could give the Colts a very young and potentially lethal overall secondary for years to come.

Bradley Chubb---already elite edge setter, with the potential to be a top tier pass rusher---will have to see how he tests but great potential.

Nelson--- who cares that he's a guard, he's also the best lineman in the draft and could give the Colts a potentially nasty(in a good way) left side of the line.

I would say Barkley at 3 but some one said he's similar to Mack but a lil better. So I would say Chubb, but I don't think early round pass rushers are as good as previous. Picking up a Guard at 3 makes no sense to me. If I have to pick at 3 I would say, Sutton, big big big WR. I think we can pick up a good pass rusher in mid rounds and good OT day 2. Hopefully Free Agency is nice and we land a ILB and OG.

Just saw highlights of Barkley and looked at the whole size the OL gave him and it wasn't big glaring wholes. Reminds me of a better Melvin Gordon. So I won't be mad at taking him #3.

Still think we can get a good OT, 2nd day. A pass rusher day 3, pass rusher seems to drop off after the first 2, and Key looks like a bust.