Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

film breakdown of Malik Hooker

CR91

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

He was getting better each week.  We can only hope and pray he comes back full steam.  

Realistically, when would they expect him back at 100%?   

Injuries and lack of FB experience (he was a basketball player most of his life) were the 2 main holdups on his draft grade.

He clearly uses his basketball skills (point guard) to read plays and seems very smart and able to translate those skills to the free-safety position.  He should be back to 100% physically from his current injury by pre-season (earlier)... keeping him healthy is going to be the problem.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I know we have a leak in the roof, but I really want to get that Corvette!

(Like a spoiled child, I'd rather draft Barkley)

I’m really liking Barkley too.  I just want us to get a transformationional player.  Be it offense or defense, please just let them be a difference maker.

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

I’m really liking Barkley too.  I just want us to get a transformationional player.  Be it offense or defense, please just let them be a difference maker.

I know the right thing to do is to trade the pick with the Jets, take Chubb or Key at 1 and use one of the two 2nd round picks to get Chubb, Guice, or Michel.  Getting back to the Hooker part of the thread, a good pass rush makes his job a lot easier.

But when we see Barkley's Combine numbers, we may all want to do the dumb thing and take him.  Good thing we have a smart, mature guy like Ballard making the pick.  And not me.

11 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Injuries and lack of FB experience (he was a basketball player most of his life) were the 2 main holdups on his draft grade.

He clearly uses his basketball skills (point guard) to read plays and seems very smart and able to translate those skills to the free-safety position.  He should be back to 100% physically from his current injury by pre-season (earlier)... keeping him healthy is going to be the problem.

I don't know that we can say for sure that he'll be back to 100% by pre-season.  He might be cleared to play but it took Anderson another year of play to get back to 100%.  

On 1/8/2018 at 12:15 PM, Valpo2004 said:

I don't know that we can say for sure that he'll be back to 100% by pre-season.  He might be cleared to play but it took Anderson another year of play to get back to 100%.  

Anderson is a 300+ lbs. guy that puts most of his weight against other 300+lbs. guys every time he plays. A knee injury to a lineman isn't comparable to a knee injury to a safety.

12 hours ago, ND Irish said:

Not sure he will ever play a full season. Just have a bad gut feeling on the dude. Maybe i need to pooh. :dunno:

He was hit very hard from a very bad angle, it happens. I'd be more concerned if he had constant hip, ankle or soft tissue issues, those can linger for a safety.

Lets hope your gut feeling fails you this time. ;)

On 1/8/2018 at 2:06 PM, Smonroe said:

I know the right thing to do is to trade the pick with the Jets, take Chubb or Key at 1 and use one of the two 2nd round picks to get Chubb, Guice, or Michel.  Getting back to the Hooker part of the thread, a good pass rush makes his job a lot easier.

But when we see Barkley's Combine numbers, we may all want to do the dumb thing and take him.  Good thing we have a smart, mature guy like Ballard making the pick.  And not me.

I'd be so happy if we could get Chubb and Guice. I'd literally be stoked even if Luck doesn't play.

I hope Hooker can be injury free from this point on but he was making a lot of tackles last season. His next injury will probably be a concussion as he is diving in for a tackle he will take a knee to the head. Since we had a nice unseasonably warm day today here in western Pa. I wore my Christmas present Hooker jersey for the first time today. Great feeling to wear a Colt jersey in this area of steeler country.

4 minutes ago, colt18 said:

I'd be so happy if we could get Chubb and Guice. I'd literally be stoked even if Luck doesn't play.

I kind of soured on Chubb a little.  Injury history, may not be as fast as I thought.  Love Guice.  

I dont want want to go through another year of ‘he’ll be back after week...’.  I’d like to know he’s throwing by the first OTAs.  Stress would be much reduced.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 2:56 AM, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Malik's draft grade was top 10 according to most experts who predicted the Chargers would take him at #7.  He fell mostly because of the unforeseen rush on QBs and the Chargers deciding to take a receiver for Rivers.

Malik played all five positions on the basketball team in high school, but he was primarily a forward.  Rather than his limited point guard role, I'd attribute his ball hawking to his team's frenetic full court pressing on a regular basis.

On 1/11/2018 at 8:52 PM, indyagent17 said:

Lets face it Chubb is a difference maker for the long term. He is a cant miss defender and he is off the chart with skills and reads.  I do wonder if any one wants to trade up to get him or Barkley. We shall see

Last year, teams moved up to get QBs (Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes).  They'll do it this year, too, because QBs are way more valuable than any other position.  There are rumors already that the Browns will take Wyoming's Allen and that 5 of the top 7 picks will be QBs.  If that's baloney, it's tasty baloney intended to get teams to move up.  Rivers and Roethlisberger can't last forever like Brady.  Imagine facing the Steelers with Darnold, the Chargers with Rosen, the Bills with Jackson and the Dolphins with Mayfield, for instance, for the next 10-12 years.  Even the Browns with Allen could be big trouble down the road.  How many sacks and hurries would Chubb need to make for us to win a playoff berth if Andrew can't go?

It's why I proudly say, "Take a QB at #3, Colts!"  The "value pick" is always a top QB prospect.  Accomplish 4 things: 1) land a potential future franchise QB replacement for Andrew, 2) have a real backup for when Andrew inevitably gets hurt (see Packers vs. Eagles and Vikings), 3) either trade Andrew or the prospect while they're still worth a lot down the line, like Garapalo, and 4) block another team from landing their guy.  Imagine the Colts having drafted Mariota.  How would the Titans look now and how would we have coped last year? 

Read an article on his recovery and they had this quote in there from him:

“I feel like I’m doing great,” Hooker says. “The next thing for me is to get better every day, create my extension and my bend and then once I do that, that’s where the running and all that stuff falls into place. That’s the main thing for me this offseason.”

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:11 PM, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

Last year, teams moved up to get QBs (Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes).  They'll do it this year, too, because QBs are way more valuable than any other position.  There are rumors already that the Browns will take Wyoming's Allen and that 5 of the top 7 picks will be QBs.  If that's baloney, it's tasty baloney intended to get teams to move up.  Rivers and Roethlisberger can't last forever like Brady.  Imagine facing the Steelers with Darnold, the Chargers with Rosen, the Bills with Jackson and the Dolphins with Mayfield, for instance, for the next 10-12 years.  Even the Browns with Allen could be big trouble down the road.  How many sacks and hurries would Chubb need to make for us to win a playoff berth if Andrew can't go?

It's why I proudly say, "Take a QB at #3, Colts!"  The "value pick" is always a top QB prospect.  Accomplish 4 things: 1) land a potential future franchise QB replacement for Andrew, 2) have a real backup for when Andrew inevitably gets hurt (see Packers vs. Eagles and Vikings), 3) either trade Andrew or the prospect while they're still worth a lot down the line, like Garapalo, and 4) block another team from landing their guy.  Imagine the Colts having drafted Mariota.  How would the Titans look now and how would we have coped last year? 

It would be *ic to take a franchise QB with the #3 pick when we have one.  I'd much rather trade this pick now for another slightly lower #1 pick, a #2 pick this year & a #1 or #2 next year, depending on who the trade partner is. 

On 1/8/2018 at 7:17 AM, Smonroe said:

So draft a RB who will go nowhere because the lack of talent we have at Oline? We don’t need an elite back to go far. Look at philly at NE neither have an elite back but a manageable one .... Mack and add another and we r good .... draft a pass rusher and our def will GREATLY improve. Look at who is getting to the champ/SB top 5 def. once we establish a decent Oline THEN add an elite back. 

On 1/11/2018 at 4:48 PM, Two_pound said:

I hope Hooker can be injury free from this point on but he was making a lot of tackles last season. His next injury will probably be a concussion as he is diving in for a tackle he will take a knee to the head. Since we had a nice unseasonably warm day today here in western Pa. I wore my Christmas present Hooker jersey for the first time today. Great feeling to wear a Colt jersey in this area of steeler country.

I worry that he's still learning to protect himself on the football field. sometimes he scared me the way he approached tackles, not in good football position. frankly, sometimes he still looked like a basketball player.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:17 AM, Smonroe said:

At this point I know its a long shot but I kinda like a mock I saw that landed us Chubb (DE) at 3 and Sony Michel with our 2nd. I hate his fumble rate but his ypc and productivity along with his speed and athleticism are alluring. I think he has the power as well to get up inside and get those extra yards if needs be like we saw Hunt get last year. We obviously can't get both but who knows...a Chubb/Michel combo might be even as special. He has enough size that he can be our main back and we could still use someone else for goal line or short yardage and have Mack on 3rd down.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

At this point I know its a long shot but I kinda like a mock I saw that landed us Chubb at 3 and Sony Michel with our 2nd. I hate his fumble rate but his ypc and productivity along with his speed and athleticism are alluring. I think he has the power as well to get up inside and get those extra yards if needs be like we saw Hunt get last year. We obviously can't get both but who knows...a Chubb/Michel combo might be even as special.

I'm more for the Chubb/Guice combo, but I agree about where you're coming from.

I really do think Barkley is the best player in the draft, and is special.  But ultimately, he doesn't buy us much more than a good running back by committee would.  And we'd also have a pass rusher at 1 if we went that route.

Things may all change by the draft, the combine and free agency will shake things up.  But for now, that Chubb/RB 1,2 punch seems awful sweet.

16 hours ago, Gigc said:

I worry that he's still learning to protect himself on the football field. sometimes he scared me the way he approached tackles, not in good football position. frankly, sometimes he still looked like a basketball player.

he has to get better at that or i doubt he will last in the league.  hes had a lot of injuries(and missed tackles) in the couple of years hes played football

41 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm more for the Chubb/Guice combo, but I agree about where you're coming from.

I really do think Barkley is the best player in the draft, and is special.  But ultimately, he doesn't buy us much more than a good running back by committee would.  And we'd also have a pass rusher at 1 if we went that route.

Things may all change by the draft, the combine and free agency will shake things up.  But for now, that Chubb/RB 1,2 punch seems awful sweet.

Yeah...it would be my preferential route....especially if we land some OL and LB help in free agency. Say we land Hutchins and Norwell both...add Chubb and Michel in first two rounds would be home run offseason....everything else is gravy. There will very likely be a good RB there at the top of round 2....Guice, Michel, (other) Chubb, Jones...and then later on there is Penny and others. Just depends on how the chips fall....I just don't see another clear way to improve our pass rush without landing Chubb however. Davenport is intriguing but none of the day 2 guys blow me away. Nobody blows me away in free agency besides Lawrence who is likely to get tagged...Ansah is so up and down and injury prone I'm not sold he is the answer. So to improve the pass rush we really need to make a move at the top of the draft. We don't have to go RB round 2 but I do believe there will be someone very impactful come from that handful of backs that will go around there...and it won't be a huge drop off in production from Barkley.