Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to Interview McDaniels on Thursday

Steamboat_Shaun

29 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

There's more to it than just wanting to work with Luck.  Part of it is how much control he'll have over player personnel, how the team is trending (in our case and the Bears, it seems to be trending up), and how does he feel about the owners commitment to winning in the process he's defining.  Then there's family considerations, etc..

I know I'm not telling anyone anything they didn't already know.  Does it bother anyone that the Patriots were basically just as good on Offense in the years McDaniels was gone?  Or that of all the BB assistants, O'Brien may be the most successful?  Just a thought.

Here is my take on your last question.

I don't get too worked up over any of the people who are being interviewed because you can find faults and pick at all of them for one reason or another.  

Nagy - just started calling plays two months ago. 

Toub - only a special teams coach. 

McDaniels failed in Denver.

There will be furor on this board when whoever is announced as the next coach,no matter who it is.  And that is comical to me because if Coach X starts to win, it won't matter.

To the specific question on McDaniels - it does help to have Brady and BB so the fact that their offense remained just as good does not bother me.  You can also make the case that the year when Brady was hurt, that offense was pretty good too.  See point above about everyone having checks for and against.  With McDaniels, I always felt that they were schematically better than their opponent.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Roger said:

The chance to work with Luck is not as big a draw as you think.  Giants have Eli, and could draft a replacement in the spring.  Plus, Indy is not as big a stage as NY. 

i disagree.  i think Luck is still considered to have great potential and a huge draw.  

15 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

And Toub is the one guy who has the more important skills that make a good HC, that people here often overlook. So many people are just focused on what offensive and defensive system a coach can bring it but it’s more than that. 

Toub is a really good teacher as he has developed 6 different pro-Bowl ST players. He is probably the best STs coach in the league as several of his units, going all the way back to Chicago, have been best in the league. He’s a former S&C coach who got to learn from Rusty Jones who is one of the pioneers of S&C, as he’s a legend in his own right. So Toub would bring a wealth of info there. He’s a disciplined guy and also pretty big, so he can take over a room. Also, his ties with Reid go farther back than any of these other guys. It goes back to 1989 at the University of Missouri. Players love him.

What are McDaniels credentials? Played under B.B. for years with Brady as QB so he must be good? 

I think you have a good point. Too many do overlook a candidate for head coach because their offensive and or defensive back grounds. That has nothing to do with the skills needed to be a head coach. There is so much more involved with that position than their back ground. The key is getting all the parts of a full staff together and making it work.

50 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Seriously?    Eli is almost certainly retiring at the end of this contract (hes got 2 more years) and there is no great QB prospect in this draft

I disagree.  In the hands of the right coach, there are three who could be great.

What guaranty does an incoming coach have that Luck will come back and live up to what he was supposed to be?  Irsay's "fever" claims?  I doubt that reassures any potential HC.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

And Toub is the one guy who has the more important skills that make a good HC, that people here often overlook. So many people are just focused on what offensive and defensive system a coach can bring it but it’s more than that. 

Toub is a really good teacher as he has developed 6 different pro-Bowl ST players. He is probably the best STs coach in the league as several of his units, going all the way back to Chicago, have been best in the league. He’s a former S&C coach who got to learn from Rusty Jones who is one of the pioneers of S&C, as he’s a legend in his own right. So Toub would bring a wealth of info there. He’s a disciplined guy and also pretty big, so he can take over a room. Also, his ties with Reid go farther back than any of these other guys. It goes back to 1989 at the University of Missouri. Players love him.

What are McDaniels credentials? Played under B.B. for years with Brady as QB so he must be good? 

I'd be okay with Toub, but why are you so hell bent on trying to minimize Mcdaniels?   As if he gets no credit for anything he did? Why aren't you mentioning that 11-5 season Mcdaniels had with Matt Cassell at QB?  I'm waiting for you to come back and minimize that as well.  Won't be long I bet!   Who else has done that with Matt Cassell?  Anywhere else Cassell has gone he's been BAD including this year when he had to fill in for Mariota they were praying it wouldn't be long term.  The only time that guy showed anything it was under Mcdaniels.

I mean Mcdaniels has got to get some credit for some of that consistent production and especially the really great adjustments that they make.  He was the Coordinator and had a heavy hand in the game plans, attention to detail and strategy.  You just can't stand here and take all the dudes credit away.  Especially when you know what his accolades are.  Oh my bad!  He doesn't get any credit he was just standing there twiddling his thumbs when they won those Super Bowls!   An argument can be made that Tyreek Hill and Devin Hester would have been Pro Bowlers anywhere and nobody would really disagree with that.  Why don't we just say Toub is a product of Andy Reid?  I mean he's never really been anywhere where Reid hasn't been and that's especially true in the NFL other than Chicago.   It's kind of silly to sit here and call Mcdaniels "a product of Bill Bellichick"  and then turn around in the same commentary listing how long Toub has been with Andy Reid.   You're trying to sell us on that relationship as a plus, but then sell Mcdaniels relationship with Bellichick as a minus.  Huh?

I'm down with Toub, Nagy, or Mcdaniels to be honest but I find your approach puzzling. I think most of us know Mcdaniels is a solid football mind.    That does not disqualify Toub as not having anything to bring to the Table.  The people who have issues with Toub it's mostly because of a lack of experience and to be honest I think it's natural for people to have pause with that.  The same way that multiple people have pause about Mcdaniels and his failures in Denver.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'd be okay with Toub, but why are you so hell bent on trying to minimize Mcdaniels?   As if he gets no credit for anything he did? Why aren't you mentioning that 11-5 season Mcdaniels had with Matt Cassell at QB?  I'm waiting for you to come back and minimize that as well.  Won't be long I bet!   Who else has done that with Matt Cassell?  Anywhere else Cassell has gone he's been BAD including this year when he had to fill in for Mariota they were praying it wouldn't be long term.  The only time that guy showed anything it was under Mcdaniels.

I mean Mcdaniels has got to get some credit for some of that consistent production and especially the really great adjustments that they make.  He was the Coordinator and had a heavy hand in the game plans, attention to detail and strategy.  You just can't stand here and take all the dudes credit away.  Especially when you know what his accolades are.  Oh my bad!  He doesn't get any credit he was just standing there twiddling his thumbs when they won those Super Bowls!   An argument can be made that Tyreek Hill and Devin Hester would have been Pro Bowlers anywhere and nobody would really disagree with that.  Why don't we just say Toub is a product of Andy Reid?  I mean he's never really been anywhere where Reid hasn't been and that's especially true in the NFL other than Chicago.   It's kind of silly to sit here and call Mcdaniels "a product of Bill Bellichick"  and then turn around in the same commentary listing how long Toub has been with Andy Reid.   You're trying to sell us on that relationship as a plus, but then sell Mcdaniels relationship with Bellichick as a minus.  Huh?

I'm down with Toub, Nagy, or Mcdaniels to be honest but I find your approach puzzling. I think most of us know Mcdaniels is a solid football mind.    That does not disqualify Toub as not having anything to bring to the Table.

Not to mention the historic 2007 NE offense. Not sure why this never gets brought up. That NE offense was incredible...and it was Brady's career season. If it wasn't for that 2013 DEN offense, that was the best offense of all-time.

McDaniels has shown the ability to get the most out of all types of players...including WRs (Welker, Moss, Edelman), TEs (Gronk, Bennett) and RBs (Lewis, Blount). Most players have found success under McDaniels.

Compare to to someone like Chud...who only knows how to use a TE and a WR1. 

With McDaniel, the upside for this offense is sky high.

18 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm down with Toub, Nagy, or Mcdaniels to be honest but I find your approach puzzling. I think most of us know Mcdaniels is a solid football mind.    That does not disqualify Toub as not having anything to bring to the Table.  The people who have issues with Toub it's mostly because of a lack of experience and to be honest I think it's natural for people to have pause with that.  The same way that multiple people have pause about Mcdaniels and his failures in Denver.

Word!!

a lot of people also may not realize that after the whole Denver thing, McDaniels specifically reached out to Tony Dungy and asked for advice and help...and they've remained close ever since... The guy was 33 years old in Denver and a person changes a lot in 10 years, and Josh is no exception. From all accounts i've heard and read, he is a completely different guy now, more humble and more willing and eager for input from guys such as Tony Dungy etc.   That put with the fact that no one will argue he has a GREAT football mind, and i think this would be an ideal team and situation for him to prove what he is capable of.

Just my .02

1 minute ago, coltsblue1844 said:

a lot of people also may not realize that after the whole Denver thing, McDaniels specifically reached out to Tony Dungy and asked for advice and help...and they've remained close ever since... The guy was 33 years old in Denver and a person changes a lot in 10 years, and Josh is no exception. From all accounts i've heard and read, he is a completely different guy now, more humble and more willing and eager for input from guys such as Tony Dungy etc.   That put with the fact that no one will argue he has a GREAT football mind, and i think this would be an ideal team and situation for him to prove what he is capable of.

Just my .02

please don't make me like a patriots coach.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Detroit is a good place with the QB in place....

.....but only fans have forgotten how good Andrew is when healthy and we have draft choice and a little bit of cap space for free agents.

We have a good offense when Andrew is healthy..even when our line is bad and I expect that to improve.

Detroit isn't bad but I think Matt Stafford can be highly overrated.  Detroit even with him has been mediocre at best and often has a bad team.  Caldwell is one of the few HC to come out of Detroit with a winning record.  Quite frankly it was dumb that they fired him in the first place.  

24 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

please don't make me like a patriots coach.

I'd love to see what he can do with Luck, but I feel the same.

I want to eat glass and rub gasoline into my eyes at the thought of cheering on a former Pats coach.lol

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Only if he's healthy.    And no one knows for certain if he will be right now.     Everyone is speculating.

I'm guessing there's more knowledge surrounding Luck's health than what Irsay & Ballard alluded to in the press conference, and all of it will be on the table during these coach interviews. I think the majority of the speculation at this point lies with the fans, and not the 2 guys who talk to Andrew on a daily basis.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm guessing there's more knowledge surrounding Luck's health than what Irsay & Ballard alluded to in the press conference, and all of it will be on the table during these coach interviews. I think the majority of the speculation at this point lies with the fans, and not the 2 guys who talk to Andrew on a daily basis.

Unless Andrew himself doesn't know... He could feel fine today, but what about tomorrow? 

53 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Not to mention the historic 2007 NE offense. Not sure why this never gets brought up. That NE offense was incredible...and it was Brady's career season. If it wasn't for that 2013 DEN offense, that was the best offense of all-time.

The '07 Pats offense should make McDaniels such an easy sell to a fanbase, but for whatever reason, everyone wants to focus on his 1.5 year stint in Denver, when he was 32 years old, had Kyle Orton/Jay Cutler as his QBs, & was clearly in over his head with the combination of HC & GM duties.

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Unless Andrew himself doesn't know... He could feel fine today, but what about tomorrow? 

No matter what, Andrew's going to have to work through some pain to get back to being the guy he was prior to the surgery. He hasn't thrown since October, so this isn't going to be an easy pain-free process moving forward.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I think Ballard made it very clear that if someone comes just for Luck, they are NOT getting the job. In other words, if the HC prospect seems obsessed with knowing that Luck will be ready, he will NOT get the job. 

2 hours ago, Roger said:

The chance to work with Luck is not as big a draw as you think.  Giants have Eli, and could draft a replacement in the spring.  Plus, Indy is not as big a stage as NY. 

I think 'The Big Stage' is overrated.

The Giants had a crappy year and didn't hear much about them all season.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I think Ballard made it very clear that if someone comes just for Luck, they are NOT getting the job. In other words, if the HC prospect seems obsessed with knowing that Luck will be ready, he will NOT get the job. 

Correct, but I think it's safe to assume that the topic of Andrew and where he is physically, and mentally, is probably going to come up during the interview. That's the "elephant in the room," there's just no way around it.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Correct, but I think it's safe to assume that the topic of Andrew and where he is physically, and mentally, is probably going to come up during the interview. That's the "elephant in the room," there's just no way around it.

I think that whole think was just GM speak anyway Chris knows people want to coach luck he was just trying to sound like it's all about the horseshoe 

18 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The '07 Pats offense should make McDaniels such an easy sell to a fanbase, but for whatever reason, everyone wants to focus on his 1.5 year stint in Denver, when he was 32 years old, had Kyle Orton/Jay Cutler as his QBs, & was clearly in over his head with the combination of HC & GM duties.

It was very evident that he was over his head as it progressed.  His attitude at the time was very off putting to veteran players.  However, I think that he truly has learned from that experience and I would be very happy with him although my number 1 is still Toub.  I just think he will be great.

8 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I think that whole think was just GM speak anyway Chris knows people want to coach luck he was just trying to sound like it's all about the horseshoe 

I think you’re wrong about that. Because what happens if Luck is not ready or get injured in week 1 (heaven forbid!), then you’re stuck with a HC that might lose the motivating thing for being here. Not what Ballard is about. And main reason why I think Ballard would never want Gruden here. He has to think about the possibility of a future without Luck and needs a HC that will work their butt off with any given QB. 

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

There's more to it than just wanting to work with Luck.  Part of it is how much control he'll have over player personnel, how the team is trending (in our case and the Bears, it seems to be trending up), and how does he feel about the owners commitment to winning in the process he's defining.  Then there's family considerations, etc..

I know I'm not telling anyone anything they didn't already know.  Does it bother anyone that the Patriots were basically just as good on Offense in the years McDaniels was gone?  Or that of all the BB assistants, O'Brien may be the most successful?  Just a thought.

You make a damn good point here. I'm not opposed to McDaniels, but I also see the risk with him as well. 

Whose to say he isn't just a system guy? He appears successful because he's a cog in a successful system. Not because he's actually a successful cog. 

That offense was perfectly fine before he came along, so it's not as if though he was the missing puzzle piece. 

I mean you take a look at that coaching tree and it doesn't take a genius to tell you it hasn't been a fruitful one. The fact that he's already had a chance to correct that trend and didn't also shouldn't be just glossed over the way it seems to be at times. 

Like I said, I'm not opposed. Myself personally, though, I'd rather take a different bet where the odds are at least unknown. They seem to be kind of stacked against McDaniels when you consider what we've just talked about. 

47 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Perhaps.....   but if you had more good news why wouldn't you share it?

Luck himself couldn't say with any certainty that he wouldn't need a second operation.

i think we won't know until sometime in April...

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

source?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/02/josh-mcdaniels-coach-interview-bears-colts-giants-mmqb

States in article that teams are coming to him.  Reported last night and then again this morning by multiple outlets that the interview was moved up to due to weather.  They went to him for less disruption during preparation for the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/02/josh-mcdaniels-coach-interview-bears-colts-giants-mmqb

States in article that teams are coming to him.  Reported last night and then again this morning by multiple outlets that the interview was moved up to due to weather.  They went to him for less disruption during preparation for the playoffs.

Not a bad article. Question is, has that fact finding mission made him ready for the next HC job

McDaniels may have ultimately failed in Denver, but when you look back, he was actually right about quite a few things, nothing moreso than Jay Cutler. All kinds of talent but plays passionless, uninspired football the vast majority of the time. I think he will be very successful wherever he ends up, and have actually been hoping that he would hang around to be the heir apparent. Looks unlikely now though.