Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay hinting at picking Barkley

AwesomeAustin

1 hour ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

some fans say dont  take rbs or guards with the  first five picks, gms do it all the time they, dont limit their picks with fan rules, most take the best player no matter the position. 

That's not true. Just look at draft history.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Dr. T said:

Kerryon Johnson from Auburn reminds me of the EDGE more than Saquon Barkley. Do you think KJ will be available in the second round?

That's funny you mention that.  When I saw the title of the thread the first thought that popped into my mind is I wonder who the 2nd ranked RB is this year.

For those that don't remember in 1999 draft the Colts had the 4th pick and they traded Faulk so everyone knew they would take a running back.  There was a running back in the draft that was a can't miss prospect, he was hands down the best running back in college football and all of his skills translated to the NFL game and he was expected to quickly dominate the NFL.

The Colts didn't draft him, they drafted The Edge instead.  Now Edge is being considered for the HOF and "the can't miss" running back, Ricky Williams, had a career mired more in controversy that great performances.

4 hours ago, Dr. T said:

Kerryon Johnson from Auburn reminds me of the EDGE more than Saquon Barkley. Do you think KJ will be available in the second round?

I would love either Kerryon Johnson, Rashaad Penny, or Nick Chubb on this roster next year provided we don't have to use a 2nd on any of them. Would rather wait until round 3-4 and see who lasts. I could see Penny and possibly Johnson being available then. 

Not sure of the reasoning behind the posts that say Colts have more pressing issues than RB.... .  colts have injured Turbin, Winn, Mack and Ferguson under contract....which of those is a proven commodity who can be an everydown back and expected to finish the season?

O-line definitely needs work, but a serviceable line can be obtained in free agency or through the draft if you make it a priority.  Generational talent at the RB position comes up rarely, however.  And, those that have the talent remain in the league a long time...AP, Marshawn, Gore, ...they don't get unseeded because they are just that much better than a RBC type player.

23 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

we have running backs..we don't need one

We have a running back who is a change of pace back and a goal line back.  Their everydown back is in his mid 30s and a free agent.  They need one.  I am not saying Barkley should be the pick but I do think he should be considered as should other players right now.  

15 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm all about Barkley if that's how the chips fall, but Irsay's Edgerrin James logic is flawed for one major reason: Peyton Manning & Edgerrin James never actually won a Super Bowl together. They never even played in a Super Bowl together.

So true. Even most of the GREAT RB's never helped their teams win. Barry Sanders, Dickerson, AP etc.

My biggest argument is that RB's can definitely be found in any rd. Not sure why people think if we even waited until Rd 2 we couldn't get someone good.

Pass rushers and other premium positions would be easier to find in the top 10 of the draft. 

I'd be fine if they picked him, but I'd be disappointed if he got anything less than 1200 yds yearly, but if we picked him and didn't help the oline that would be dumb on our part.

Get some oline in FA and I'm all in on him.

I agree with people who say a rb is worthless without a line.  Castonzo and Kelly are decent, and Kelly has the injury bug, and the rest of the line spots and backups are wide open.  If Luck comes back, or someone else, they should not be hit into early retirement.  Fix the O-line and you can run whatever routes you want as well as run the ball.  OT is so hard to find, trade down with Dallas and take Mike McGlinchey.  We'd get a premium position and an extra pick.  Guys like McGlinchey can make another running back look good.

Barkley's highlight reel looks similar to Mack's reel last year. If we pick him in rd 1 then

Let's go with a west coast style offense, Barkley and Mack would be an electrifying combination.

Chubb's highlight reel made him look a bit slow and was unimpressive Imo.

Re-posted from another thread:

Honestly believe the whole Barkley talk is smokescreen. Colts have a lot more holes to address than drafting a RB third overall. Didn't they learn from the whole Trent Richardson fiasco?

I think this could end up being a brilliant move by Irsay saying this.    It could very well cause the Browns to take Barkley with the 1st knowing that a QB will still be available with the 4th pick.    Then we will have more trading power with the 3rd 

I like Chubb a lot. But here's something to think about. 

a great DL gets you maybe 1 sack a game (16 in a season, right?)

a great running back can get you at least 1 TD a game. AND he makes the passing game more potent. opens lanes for receivers, creates play action, can catch the ball out of the backfield. 

MORE production

26 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

Watching the steelers and jags... Bell and Fournette is the reason Colts should take Barkley.  Get OL in free agency reat.of draft for defense.  Barkley is as good or better than Bell or Fournette and can be a game changer.

Fournette is having a good game, but that guy gets more credit for mediocrity than anyone I have ever seen.

If the truth about McDaniels is true and he has roster control I would think Barkley would be a long shot. The way NE uses running backs I don’t see them emphasizing that position with that high a pick. Heck he may just bring Lewis with him and run with Lewis, Turbin, and Mack. Can’t remeber when NE took a running back high in the draft....Marooney? Even that didn’t really work out.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If the truth about McDaniels is true and he has roster control I would think Barkley would be a long shot. The way NE uses running backs I don’t see them emphasizing that position with that high a pick. Heck he may just bring Lewis with him and run with Lewis, Turbin, and Mack. Can’t remeber when NE took a running back high in the draft....Marooney? Even that didn’t really work out.

Yeah, McDaniels will do wonders with Mack in that offense.

1 hour ago, Old Colt said:

Watching the steelers and jags... Bell and Fournette is the reason Colts should take Barkley.  Get OL in free agency reat.of draft for defense.  Barkley is as good or better than Bell or Fournette and can be a game changer.

Bell is a second round pick....watching that game I see our division rival wrecking the line of scrimmage. I would think that tells me to use our picks to effect the line of scrimmage (OL/pass rush).