Sign in to follow this  
GOZER

Any Snowboarders/Skiers on forum?

Recommended Posts

I’ve Snowboarded off/on since 2001....took my 8 yr old son to Perfect North Slopes for first time yesterday and we had a blast, he’s a quick learner! Looking forward to many trips around area and out West now that I have a committed partner in crime! Any other boarders or skiers out there? Where and what do you ride? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never ..... either one.  My dangerous sport was motocross... and I am lucky I got out alive, lol.  I have a bleeding disorder and will likely never take the risks to give skiing a try, although I would like to have done it.

 

I love the west though.  I have been to Wyoming, Colorado and all the states in between here and there.  I go elk hunting in Colorado in the NW corner of the state. I have been through Steamboat Springs and that is a really cool village.  Mostly a ski resort town from what I know.  The area we hunt is west of there about an hour and is pretty much connected by the mountains in the area.  Route National Forest.

 

Where did/ do you like to go out west?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a skateboarder but I've never been able to go snowboarding hoping to go to perfect north slopes soon to finally get a chance to try it 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BR-549 said:

Never ..... either one.  My dangerous sport was motocross... and I am lucky I got out alive, lol.  I have a bleeding disorder and will likely never take the risks to give skiing a try, although I would like to have done it.

 

I love the west though.  I have been to Wyoming, Colorado and all the states in between here and there.  I go elk hunting in Colorado in the NW corner of the state. I have been through Steamboat Springs and that is a really cool village.  Mostly a ski resort town from what I know.  The area we hunt is west of there about an hour and is pretty much connected by the mountains in the area.  Route National Forest.

 

Where did/ do you like to go out west?  

I absolutely love it out West, would love to move out there once I retire....that or back to Texas, probably end up stuck in Indiana though, lol! I’ve got family in Texas, Arizona, as well as Southern/Northern California, always jump on the chance to visit them when the opportunity arises. 

 

 My usual places to snowboard in IN/Michigan/Wisconsin are Perfect North, Boyne Mountain, Nubs Nob, Devils Head and Cascade. As far as out West I’ve only snowboarded in Colorado so far: Keystone, Breckenridge, and Copper mountain resorts. Plan on hitting up some more resorts in Colorado, California(Tahoe!) and Utah....maybe even Whistler up in Canada someday! Shoot I have a sister who lives in Switzerland as well, would love to go snowboard the Alps if I could afford a plane ticket over there! Maybe some day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BR-549 said:

Never ..... either one.  My dangerous sport was motocross...and I am lucky I got out alive, lol. 

Never raced Motocross, but have owned several 4 Wheelers.....pretty sure I’ve been thrown off, rolled, and chased down hills by every one of them, lol! Had a lot of fun riding, would love to get back on one some day:rock:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I was a skateboarder but I've never been able to go snowboarding hoping to go to perfect north slopes soon to finally get a chance to try it 

I skateboarded some when I was younger....they say it helps you learn to snowboard quicker...it took me 2-3 trips to really figure it out.  Most important advice I can give you is be patient, it can be a little disheartening to some at first, but once it clicks, it’s an amazing feeling! Learn how to stop, my biggest problem at first was that I would fly down the hill and didn’t know how to stop/carve and I would always bite it pretty hard. Once I figured those two things out, I was good. If you buy board/boots/bindings spend a little money and get  good ones, and make sure the board is proper size for you. You can rent there, but I’m not a fan of beat up rental boards/bindings, I believe they can hinder beginners at times. Perfect North is a great place to learn...they even do a free beginner snowboard lesson on your first visit, it’s like an hour long, worth checking out. Also...wear the proper attire, not cotton long Johns and Carharts, you will sweat and get cold fast. if you have any type of moisture wicking clothes I would recommend wearing that instead and don’t overlayer...... Ok I’m done, lol.

 

(I’ve learned a lot the hard way!)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to ski regularly in high school at Perfect, even joined NASTAR for the racing portion. Since I’ve gotten older and have a little one to take care of, I’ve slown down a lot.

 

Best memory is skiing the same time as Nick Goepper a few a years back. Classy guy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent 1 year in Montana (Big Sky and Bridger Bowl), and 6 years in Colorado (Wolf Creek, Crested Butte, and Telluride the best hands down). After riding those mountains, Perfect North was fun I suppose, but not for the same price as a real mountain. Look forward to seeing if my kids will try it out, snowboarding that is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ND Irish said:

Spent 1 year in Montana (Big Sky and Bridger Bowl), and 6 years in Colorado (Wolf Creek, Crested Butte, and Telluride the best hands down). After riding those mountains, Perfect North was fun I suppose, but not for the same price as a real mountain. Look forward to seeing if my kids will try it out, snowboarding that is.

Totally agree, the western mountains are an amazing experience. I’ve never been, but I’m told it can take half of a day just to go down some of the big resorts. Big difference compared to about 6-7 minutes on the Far Side... ha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ND Irish said:

Spent 1 year in Montana (Big Sky and Bridger Bowl), and 6 years in Colorado (Wolf Creek, Crested Butte, and Telluride the best hands down). After riding those mountains, Perfect North was fun I suppose, but not for the same price as a real mountain. Look forward to seeing if my kids will try it out, snowboarding that is.

Totally jealous, that would have been awesome!!! At one time my dream was to move out West, get a career Firefighter gig, and on my off days work at a resort as Ski(Snowboard) Patrol or maintenance, something like that.....unfortunately life got in the way, lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Totally agree, the western mountains are an amazing experience. I’ve never been, but I’m told it can take half of a day just to go down some of the big resorts. Big difference compared to about 6-7 minutes on the Far Side... ha

I’ve went late season, and was told by the locals the conditions weren’t anywhere near the norm, and it was still way better then anything around here! Longest run I’ve been on out West was 45 mins to an hour!

 

I do have some sentimental feelings for the Far Side at Perfect North, first run I EVER made without wiping out, that was such a great feeling!!!!! And the lift up is always entertaining, lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.